Vote Boris in October

Discuss the latest political news.
spot

Vote Boris in October

Post by spot »

Would anyone like to post odds on a non-May-led Conservative victory in the next General Election putting Boris into Number 10 at long last?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

Vote Boris in October

Post by gmc »

No chance.

Is it wrong to want to hit nigal farage? Shou;d he be put on trial for inciting jo cox's killer to murder?
spot

Vote Boris in October

Post by spot »

gmc;1510027 wrote: No chance.

The alternative is that the country will groan under the jackboot of whatever humorless git succeeded Ian Paisley, and the Unionists will inflict yet more mangled vowels - sorry, "vyles" - on our hard-pressed lower chamber.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Clodhopper

Vote Boris in October

Post by Clodhopper »

I'm not sure I want to bet on anything in politics just at present. It seems lots of young people got it together and voted Corbyn and I didn't see that coming. The UKIP vote didn't move en masse to the tories when it collapsed which seems to have been the tory bet, Conservatives have done better as you go north and in Scotland and worse in London and the SE and I absolutely didn't see that coming. UKIP now appears to be mostly a Welsh phenomenon, the SNP were unlikely to hold such a huge majority but have taken a pasting mostly from a Unionist (and conservative) Party. Here we've just lost Richmond Park after a recount or two but since we regained Kingston my local very Lib Dem wards are hopefully a launchpad for an advance rather than a last bastion.

So Boris in no10? Looks a near certainty doesn't it. Like the not being stupid enough to leave the EU vote and the tories being returned with a large majority...I do think this is both a worrying and a hopeful development: Worrying because the country does seem very fractured with fault lines all over: Left/Right; old/young; leave/Remain; North/South. Hopeful because our political system needs shaking to its foundations and this may be it beginning to happen.

It's going to get worse, too.

Do you think brexit gives an opportunity to reintroduce the outlaw concept? Then we could hunt Farage with hounds legally.

edit: Kensington is undergoing multiple recounts to find out if Labour have taken it. KENSINGTON!!!
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Bruv

Vote Boris in October

Post by Bruv »

Update Kensington is Labour...

Boris for PM ?

So it CAN get worse........where could I emigrate to ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Clodhopper

Vote Boris in October

Post by Clodhopper »

Can the DUP really make a government with the tories? They can't make a government in NI...

If they can they seem to be very hardcore brexiters. Not good. How they combine that with a soft Irish border is anyone's guess.

spot

Vote Boris in October

Post by spot »

The phrase you need is "No Surrender", for which the speaker invariably adopts an intransigent tone and loud delivery. Iris Robinson springs to mind. Robinson's wife, Iris, had said that homosexuality was an abomination and that with help, gay people could be "turned around", that one. I keep wondering whether she was attempting a joke but sadly I doubt it. And now we have Mr Robinson's ex-deputy taking the reins of power in Westminster?

Theresa May's most significant time in government was as Home Secretary. She was sarcastic in that office, overbearing, she gloated and she mocked, she was deeply divisive and incapable of even listening to common sense much less taking it on board.

As Prime Minister she was totally out of her depth, defensive and incompetent, thank goodness we're rid of her.

I am yet to talk to a Tory source today who believes she can stay for as long as she likes. She is being seen as a caretaker PM, here for continuity at a time of great volatility - strangely the sort of reasons cited when she was nominated for the leadership. That was of course, before Theresa May revealed herself to be a gambler too. A trait only revealed once she moved into Number 10 - a trait that might be her political undoing, even if she keeps the address for now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40209585

Bruv

Vote Boris in October

Post by Bruv »

One must ask how these collection of incompetents got into politics to start with.................is politics the latest career option for all those who might have chosen Business Studies or such like.
Clodhopper

Vote Boris in October

Post by Clodhopper »

Short answer: yes.

Politics has always attracted its share of the unpleasant. But the power you have in politics is rather shaded nowadays by the power you get in in business at the top and you don't have to answer to an electorate. The really talented have been going into business and not politics for well, a long time now. A century in some places? Longer if you consider eg mediaeval Italy and its merchant princes.

spot

Vote Boris in October

Post by spot »

Clodhopper;1510063 wrote: Politics has always attracted its share of the unpleasant.

Do I get a point for Winston Churchill's father, and another for his slovenly oaf of a grandson?
Bruv

Vote Boris in October

Post by Bruv »

So my perception that in the good old days politics was full of ex soldiers and business people with a drive to improve society, selfless altruists, sacrificing their own lives for the benefit of mankind........has no basis ?

I am crushed......thought that was how it all worked.
Clodhopper

Vote Boris in October

Post by Clodhopper »

I think we have a particularly talentless bunch at present. shrug. Perhaps that's unfair and I should say unproven rather than talentless. Maybe it will turn out Hammond is a genius Chancellor and Johnson is in fact honest. But I see no signs at present. Davis is an ex-soldier, I believe.

Farron has gone up a bit in my estimation over the course of the election: I think he's a decent and honest bloke. Just wish he had a bit of charisma.

gmc

Vote Boris in October

Post by gmc »

I think one of the appeals of corbyn is he has actually been consistent through the years sticking to what he believes rather than do what it takes to get in to power. If you recall one of the mantras of his opponents was you need to tell the electorate what they want to hear and the left has had it's day. I actually think his stand on terrorism did him a lot of good most people do make the connection between our foreign policy and present day terrorism however much the daily mail likes to pretend otherwise.

The irony of course is may is now talking about a coaltion with terrorist sympathisers in a way that will probvably wreck the northern ireland peace settlement.
Bruv

Vote Boris in October

Post by Bruv »

No doubt about it Corbyn has blossomed, he does have a personality, can answer awkward questions.

He has a long term ethical stance that is embedded.....................all the others are career opportunist chancers.

Return to “Current Political Events”