Discuss the latest political news.
spot

President Trump's executive orders discussion thread

Post by spot »

We have the text of the first.THE WHITE HOUSE

Office of the Press Secretary

For Immediate Release January 20, 2017

EXECUTIVE ORDER

MINIMIZING THE ECONOMIC BURDEN OF THE PATIENT PROTECTION AND AFFORDABLE CARE ACT PENDING REPEAL

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, it is hereby ordered as follows:

Section 1. It is the policy of my Administration to seek the prompt repeal of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Public Law 111-148), as amended (the "Act"). In the meantime, pending such repeal, it is imperative for the executive branch to ensure that the law is being efficiently implemented, take all actions consistent with law to minimize the unwarranted economic and regulatory burdens of the Act, and prepare to afford the States more flexibility and control to create a more free and open healthcare market.

Sec. 2. To the maximum extent permitted by law, the Secretary of Health and Human Services (Secretary) and the heads of all other executive departments and agencies (agencies) with authorities and responsibilities under the Act shall exercise all authority and discretion available to them to waive, defer, grant exemptions from, or delay the implementation of any provision or requirement of the Act that would impose a fiscal burden on any State or a cost, fee, tax, penalty, or regulatory burden on individuals, families, healthcare providers, health insurers, patients, recipients of healthcare services, purchasers of health insurance, or makers of medical devices, products, or medications.

Sec. 3. To the maximum extent permitted by law, the Secretary and the heads of all other executive departments and agencies with authorities and responsibilities under the Act, shall exercise all authority and discretion available to them to provide greater flexibility to States and cooperate with them in implementing healthcare programs.

Sec. 4. To the maximum extent permitted by law, the head of each department or agency with responsibilities relating to healthcare or health insurance shall encourage the development of a free and open market in interstate commerce for the offering of healthcare services and health insurance, with the goal of achieving and preserving maximum options for patients and consumers.

Sec. 5. To the extent that carrying out the directives in this order would require revision of regulations issued through notice-and-comment rulemaking, the heads of agencies shall comply with the Administrative Procedure Act and other applicable statutes in considering or promulgating such regulatory revisions.

Sec. 6. (a) Nothing in this order shall be construed to impair or otherwise affect:

(i) the authority granted by law to an executive department or agency, or the head thereof; or

(ii) the functions of the Director of the Office of Management and Budget relating to budgetary, administrative, or legislative proposals.

(b) This order shall be implemented consistent with applicable law and subject to the availability of appropriations.

(c) This order is not intended to, and does not, create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or in equity by any party against the United States, its departments, agencies, or entities, its officers, employees, or agents, or any other person.

DONALD J. TRUMP

THE WHITE HOUSE,

January 20, 2017.

Full text: Trump's executive order on Obamacare - CNNPolitics.com

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

So except in the unlikely event that all parts of the machine collude to keep it going the ACA is dead?
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
spot

Post by spot »

I rather liked Senator Franken's speech on the subject on January 10th.

President-elect Trump clearly has a plan. He laid it all out during his campaign. His plan was, he said to, quote: "Repeal Obamacare and replace it with something terrific." That's what he said.

And then he went into a little bit more detail, and explained that the "something terrific" would be, quote, "so much better, so much better, so much better."

Terrific! So much better. That sounds great. Let's see it.

One of Trump's top advisers said on MSNBC "We don't want anyone who currently has insurance to not have insurance." Great! Neither do we.

Speaker Ryan said that there will, quote, "be a bridge so that no one is left out in the cold, so that no one is worse off." That is wonderful! No one being worse off is exactly what we want to see.

I'm sure Speaker Ryan's staff was mistaken when they later told a reporter that the "no one worse off" only applied to the transition period, not to the replacement plan.

Show me the plan that keeps coverage for the 20 million people who've gained coverage, that would bend the cost curve so that the costs of the entire health care system grow less quickly as they have, and that would ensure that nobody gets denied coverage when they need it or has to unfairly pay more than someone else because of their gender or a pre-existing condition. Show me that plan.

https://www.franken.senate.gov/?p=news&id=3600

That is an honest, well-intentioned, intelligent Senator working on behalf of the people he serves, he's an asset to the country.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

Clodhopper;1505583 wrote: So except in the unlikely event that all parts of the machine collude to keep it going the ACA is dead?

The nail in its coffin will be legislative. The intention of the executive order is to hobble ACA immediately, since it can't actually be shot until a replacement is enacted.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

So no new cases will be accepted as soon as the word goes down in the next week, then support gets removed legislatively to be replaced by the "so much better"? I note that precisely who it is better for is left vague.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
spot

Post by spot »

"so that no one is left out in the cold, so that no one is worse off" according to Speaker Ryan's pre-election promise.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

So in essence for the average person........ if you were waiting for surgery or a wheelchair or prosthesis or chronic ear throat nose ( tonsils, grommets etc) then you have no hope? Ambulance? Emergency care? It will be all up to the states? Nothing from the federal government?
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Post by spot »

No, the average person has medical insurance and would be admitted for surgery. They might thereafter have to pay some start-up or excess to the insurer.

For those without insurance or cash there are, if I understand correctly, free hospitals where you might or might not be treated depending on workload.

Bear in mind that the proportion of GDP spent on medical care in America is startlingly higher than in the rest of the developed world. It's just that the number of people living in America with no access to treatment is about to get a lot bigger. That number should, in a just society, be zero.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Yes I was only referring to the latter. To this day I still don't understand that state of affairs.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

spot;1505640 wrote: For those without insurance or cash there are, if I understand correctly, free hospitals where you might or might not be treated depending on workload.

Sounds like the NHS at the moment under a similar regime.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1505640 wrote: Bear in mind that the proportion of GDP spent on medical care in America is startlingly higher than in the rest of the developed world.

The trick is......................to get those at the back of the queue for free health care to believe in the system...........that one day.......they will be able to be able to afford the best money can buy.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Post by spot »

Today's executive order is mere gesture politics, "withdrawing" America from the Trans-Pacific Partnership. America was never in the TPP, Congress hadn't given authority for membership. The executive order merely prevents Congress from signing up, which Congress was never going to do in month of Sundays.

He's not dismantled TPP, the other eleven member countries are still proceeding and will presumably switch their trade toward China to avoid the American trade barriers. In the absence of America the eleven might even invite China to join instead, and good for them if they do.

Another executive order removes federal funding for international medical aid where abortion is on offer or recommended. If he goes one step further and bans all American international aid, both to NGOs and to nations, I for one will cheer to the rafters. Aid destroys foreign economies like nothing else, it's one step short of outright warfare.

He's also ordered "a hiring freeze on federal workers, except for defense-related positions" - how do you get new Marshals or FBI agents or federal prison guards or National Park custodians?
spot

Post by spot »

Proclamation 9570 of January 20, 2017

National Day of Patriotic Devotion

A Proclamation

A new national pride stirs the American soul and inspires the American heart. We are one people, united by a common destiny and a shared purpose.

Freedom is the birthright of all Americans, and to preserve that freedom we must maintain faith in our sacred values and heritage.

Our Constitution is written on parchment, but it lives in the hearts of the American people. There is no freedom where the people do not believe in it; no law where the people do not follow it; and no peace where the people do not pray for it.

There are no greater people than the American citizenry, and as long as we believe in ourselves, and our country, there is nothing we cannot accomplish.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, DONALD J. TRUMP, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim January 20, 2017, as National Day of Patriotic Devotion, in order to strengthen our bonds to each other and to our country—and to renew the duties of Government to the people.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twentieth day of January, in the year of our Lord two thousand seventeen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and forty-first.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documen ... c-devotion

An odd thing, patriotism.

My country right, your country wrong if it dares to disagree, regardless of any objective reality.

Whatever my government wants to do abroad is right, all dissent or equivocation in foreign affairs is unpatriotic. If the fist goes up and you don't cheer then you're the enemy.

Stand by your man, the Dear Leader has spoken. We support our troops.

I see that a belief in God has suddenly become mandatory too. We must maintain faith in our sacred values? I presume Praise Allah isn't an acceptable resonse to "no peace where the people do not pray for it"?

There are no greater people than the American citizenry?
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Is this for real ???

Well.......at least it doesn't refer to 'The Motherland'

It is a worry for sure.
spot

Post by spot »

Bruv;1505784 wrote: Is this for real ???

It's straight from the Federal Register.

This one looks true too... Trump Administration Freezes EPA Grants, Limits Employee Access to the Press? : snopes.com

One EPA employee aware of the freeze said he had never seen anything like it in nearly a decade with the agency. Hiring freezes happened, he said, but freezes on grants and contracts seemed extraordinary. The employee said the freeze appeared to be nationwide, and as of Monday night it was not clear for how long it would be in place.

Myron Ebell, who ran the EPA transition for the incoming administration, confirmed the basics of the freeze, but said the actions were not unprecedented.

“They’re trying to freeze things to make sure nothing happens they don’t want to have happen, so any regulations going forward, contracts, grants, hires, they want to make sure to look at them first,” said Ebell, who returned over the weekend to his position directing energy and global warming policy at the Competitive Enterprise Institute, a free-market, industry-aligned group that has long fought the EPA’s growth and influence.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1505783 wrote: Proclamation 9570 of January 20, 2017

A Proclamation

A new national pride stirs the American soul and inspires the American heart. We are one people, united by a common destiny and a shared purpose.

Freedom is the birthright of all Americans, and to preserve that freedom we must maintain faith in our sacred values and heritage.

Our Constitution is written on parchment, but it lives in the hearts of the American people. There is no freedom where the people do not believe in it; no law where the people do not follow it; and no peace where the people do not pray for it.

There are no greater people than the American citizenry, and as long as we believe in ourselves, and our country, there is nothing we cannot accomplish.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, DONALD J. TRUMP, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim January 20, 2017, as National Day of Patriotic Devotion, in order to strengthen our bonds to each other and to our country—and to renew the duties of Government to the people.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twentieth day of January, in the year of our Lord two thousand seventeen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and forty-first.

My country right, your country wrong if it dares to disagree, regardless of any objective reality.

Whatever my government wants to do abroad is right, all dissent or equivocation in foreign affairs is unpatriotic. If the fist goes up and you don't cheer then you're the enemy.

Stand by your man. The Dear Leader has spoken. We support our troops.

I see that a belief in God has suddenly become mandatory too. We must maintain faith in our sacred values? I presume Praise Allah isn't an acceptable resonse to "no peace where the people do not pray for it"?

There are no greater people than the American citizenry?It would appear that Trump is attempting to market his presidency and his administration (marketing is what he knows). He's trying to get people excited about what he's doing. Though I also would imagine there's a certain high one might experience once becoming president. My guess is that Trump is on cloud 9 presently, thus the sudden belief in god and feeling all patriotic. It'll be interesting to see if any of it softens his personality or causes him to behave more dignified at all. We'll have to watch and see.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

Proclamation 9570 of January 20, 2017...

... do hereby proclaim January 20, 2017, as National Day of Patriotic Devotion ...

He didn't really leave much time for organizing street parties, getting the banners out, arranging military parades and what not. I simply cannot believe the date is a misprint for 2018.

These are the last throes of a terminally sick American Exceptionalism, it's embarrassing to watch.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

spot;1505790 wrote:

These are the last throes of a terminally sick American Exceptionalism, it's embarrassing to watch.

As an American, I'm more DISGUSTED than embarrassed. Revolting.
spot

Post by spot »

If you stand for Congress I'll contribute to your campaign fund. I'll even build your website.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, he just signed an order to go forward with the two Pipelines that have been delayed by protests.

Keystone XL and the Dakota Access.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1505794 wrote: If you stand for Congress I'll contribute to your campaign fund. I'll even build your website.

How safe would her emails be ?
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1505796 wrote: Well, he just signed an order to go forward with the two Pipelines that have been delayed by protests.

What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

A Proclamation

Stand by your man, the Dear Leader has spoken. We support our troops.

There are no greater people than the American citizenry?

You don't like the concept of patriotism, that's your right. It is also your right to trash the concept with what you think it means to be patriotic.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

tude dog;1505811 wrote: You don't like the concept of patriotism, that's your right. It is also your right to trash the concept with what you think it means to be patriotic.

spot

Post by spot »

tude dog;1505811 wrote: It is also your right to trash the concept with what you think it means to be patriotic.

No. I'm using the words from the Proclamation, nothing else. He uses an imperative, "must". It's not optional like "may" or "should", it's an obligation, it's an instruction. "We must maintain faith in our sacred values". You have no choice, you must do this. Sacred is a very specific word, it means "Connected with God or a god or dedicated to a religious purpose and so deserving veneration".

So, no law respecting an establishment of religion? The President just established a requirement for religious faith in all Americans by Proclamation.

Words matter.
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1505796 wrote: Well, he just signed an order to go forward with the two Pipelines that have been delayed by protests.

The cost of pipework just skyrocketed too. Does the US still have a working iron ore mine? Because you can only use US iron ore (in contrast to "iron of foreign origin") to make any pipework from the time this is implemented.

Presidential Memorandum Regarding Construction of American Pipelines

MEMORANDUM FOR THE SECRETARY OF COMMERCE

SUBJECT: Construction of American Pipelines

The Secretary of Commerce, in consultation with all relevant executive departments and agencies, shall develop a plan under which all new pipelines, as well as retrofitted, repaired, or expanded pipelines, inside the borders of the United States, including portions of pipelines, use materials and equipment produced in the United States, to the maximum extent possible and to the extent permitted by law. The Secretary shall submit the plan to the President within 180 days of the date of this memorandum.

"Produced in the United States" shall mean:

(i) With regard to iron or steel products, that all manufacturing processes for such iron or steel products, from the initial melting stage through the application of coatings, occurred in the United States.

(ii) Steel or iron material or products manufactured abroad from semi-finished steel or iron from the United States are not "produced in the United States" for purposes of this memorandum.

(iii) Steel or iron material or products manufactured in the United States from semi-finished steel or iron of foreign origin are not "produced in the United States" for purposes of this memorandum.

The Secretary of Commerce is hereby authorized and directed to publish this memorandum in the Federal Register.

DONALD J. TRUMP

spot

Post by spot »

This is the one that says the New Deal mass employment isn't going to be held up by pettifogging long drawn out environmental discussions, he wants feet on the ground being paid sooner rather than later, during his own time in office instead of his successor's. If it's Trump New Deal then from now on it's going to be labelled high priority.

This is what government is for. I hope the US Electric Grid gets rejuvenated, for example.

The White House

For Immediate Release

January 24, 2017

Executive Order Expediting Environmental Reviews and Approvals For High Priority Infrastructure Projects

EXECUTIVE ORDER

- - - - - - -

EXPEDITING ENVIRONMENTAL REVIEWS AND APPROVALS

FOR HIGH PRIORITY INFRASTRUCTURE PROJECTS

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, I hereby direct as follows:

Section 1. Purpose. Infrastructure investment strengthens our economic platform, makes America more competitive, creates millions of jobs, increases wages for American workers, and reduces the costs of goods and services for American families and consumers. Too often, infrastructure projects in the United States have been routinely and excessively delayed by agency processes and procedures. These delays have increased project costs and blocked the American people from the full benefits of increased infrastructure investments, which are important to allowing Americans to compete and win on the world economic stage. Federal infrastructure decisions should be accomplished with maximum efficiency and effectiveness, while also respecting property rights and protecting public safety and the environment. To that end, it is the policy of the executive branch to streamline and expedite, in a manner consistent with law, environmental reviews and approvals for all infrastructure projects, especially projects that are a high priority for the Nation, such as improving the U.S. electric grid and telecommunications systems and repairing and upgrading critical port facilities, airports, pipelines, bridges, and highways.

Sec. 2. Identification of High Priority Infrastructure Projects. With respect to infrastructure projects for which Federal reviews and approvals are required, upon request by the Governor of a State, or the head of any executive department or agency (agency), or on his or her own initiative, the Chairman of the White House Council on Environmental Quality (CEQ) shall, within 30 days after a request is made, decide whether an infrastructure project qualifies as a "high priority" infrastructure project. This determination shall be made after consideration of the project's importance to the general welfare, value to the Nation, environmental benefits, and such other factors as the Chairman deems relevant.

Sec. 3. Deadlines. With respect to any project designated as a high priority under section 2 of this order, the Chairman of the CEQ shall coordinate with the head of the relevant agency to establish, in a manner consistent with law, expedited procedures and deadlines for completion of environmental reviews and approvals for such projects. All agencies shall give highest priority to completing such reviews and approvals by the established deadlines using all necessary and appropriate means. With respect to deadlines established consistent with this section that are not met, the head of the relevant agency shall provide a written explanation to the Chairman explaining the causes for the delay and providing concrete actions taken by the agency to complete such reviews and approvals as expeditiously as possible.

Sec. 4. General Provisions. (a) This order shall be implemented consistent with applicable law and subject to the availability of appropriations.

(b) Nothing in this order shall be construed to impair or otherwise affect:

(i) the authority granted by law to an executive department or agency or the head thereof; or

(ii) the functions of the Director of the Office of Management and Budget relating to budgetary, administrative, or legislative proposals.

(c) All actions taken pursuant to this order shall be consistent with requirements and authorities to protect intelligence and law enforcement sources and methods. Nothing in this order shall be interpreted to supersede measures established under authority of law to protect the security and integrity of specific activities and associations that are in direct support of intelligence and law enforcement operations.

(d) This order is not intended to, and does not, create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or in equity by any party against the United States, its departments, agencies, or entities, its officers, employees, or agents, or any other person.

DONALD J. TRUMP

THE WHITE HOUSE,

January 24, 2017.

spot

Post by spot »

This Presidential Memorandum is pretty much a place-holder, it says come back in the summer and we'll tell you what we've managed to negotiate. We tried this in the UK several times but red tape is, apparently, an essential component of life to government departments.

The White House

For Immediate Release

January 24, 2017

Presidential Memorandum Streamlining Permitting and Reducing Regulatory Burdens for Domestic Manufacturing

January 24, 2017

MEMORANDUM FOR THE HEADS OF EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENTS AND AGENCIES

SUBJECT: Streamlining Permitting and Reducing Regulatory Burdens for Domestic Manufacturing

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, I hereby direct the following:

Section 1. Purpose. This memorandum directs executive departments and agencies (agencies) to support the expansion of manufacturing in the United States through expedited reviews of and approvals for proposals to construct or expand manufacturing facilities and through reductions in regulatory burdens affecting domestic manufacturing.

Sec. 2. Stakeholder Consultation on Streamlining Permitting. The Secretary of Commerce shall conduct outreach to stakeholders concerning the impact of Federal regulations on domestic manufacturing and shall solicit comments from the public for a period not to exceed 60 days concerning Federal actions to streamline permitting and reduce regulatory burdens for domestic manufacturers. As part of this process, the Secretary of Commerce shall coordinate with the Secretaries of Agriculture and Energy, the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency, the Director of the Office of Management and Budget, the Administrator of the Small Business Administration, and such other agency heads as may be appropriate.

Sec. 3. Permit Streamlining Action Plan. Within 60 days after completion of the process described in section 2 of this memorandum, the Secretary of Commerce shall submit a report to the President setting forth a plan to streamline Federal permitting processes for domestic manufacturing and to reduce regulatory burdens affecting domestic manufacturers. The report should identify priority actions as well as recommended deadlines for completing actions. The report also may include recommendations for any necessary changes to existing regulations or statutes, as well as actions to change policies, practices, or procedures that can be taken immediately under existing authority.

Sec. 4. General Provisions. (a) Nothing in this memorandum shall be construed to impair or otherwise affect:

(i) the authority granted by law to an executive department or agency, or the head thereof; or

(b) This memorandum shall be implemented consistent with applicable laws and subject to the availability of appropriations.

(c) This memorandum is not intended to, and does not, create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or in equity by any party against the United States, its departments, agencies, or entities, its officers, employees, or agents, or any other person.

(d) The Secretary of Commerce is hereby authorized and directed to publish this memorandum in the Federal Register.

DONALD J. TRUMP

Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

A Proclamation

Personally, I think he got the date wrong and those who valued their country and what it stands for were marching the next day.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Bruv;1505812 wrote:

A childish insult.

I mean really. The constant obsession by some to use Nazi Germany of the '30s is a profound admission of ignorance.

It would be nice if you had something resembling adult, though.
spot

Post by spot »

I can remember when Federal law was made by Congress after public debate. How long is this lawmaking by fiat going to go on for?

tude dog;1505826 wrote: The constant obsession by some to use Nazi Germany of the '30s is a profound admission of ignorance.

Like aiming for full employment by creating government infrastructure projects for example. You'd never see Nazi Germany of the '30s do anything like that. Or even appealing to mindless patriotism. Nazi Germany of the '30s wouldn't have stooped that low, surely. They just happened to have "National" in their party name.

How closely does "We are one people" translate to "Ein Volk"? You're seriously claiming that's a coincidence?
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot;1505815 wrote: No. I'm using the words from the Proclamation, nothing else. He uses an imperative, "must". It's not optional like "may" or "should", it's an obligation, it's an instruction. "We must maintain faith in our sacred values". You have no choice, you must do this. Sacred is a very specific word, it means "Connected with God or a god or dedicated to a religious purpose and so deserving veneration".

So, no law respecting an establishment of religion? The President just established a requirement for religious faith in all Americans by Proclamation.

Words matter.

I agree with him.

He isn't suggesting a law.

It is a Proclamation basically expressing an opinion.
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog;1505830 wrote: He isn't suggesting a law.

It is a Proclamation basically expressing an opinion.

If he was expressing an opinion he'd have written it in a newspaper column. What he's used is an instrument of governance, it's an order from the Head of State.

I'll quote from the Wikipedia page on Presidential proclamations:The administrative weight of these proclamations is upheld because they are often specifically authorized by congressional statute, making them "delegated unilateral powers". Their issuances have on occasion led to important political and historical consequences in the development of the United States. George Washington's Proclamation of Neutrality in 1793 and Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation in 1863 are some of America's most famous presidential proclamations in this regard. The legal weight of presidential proclamations suggests their importance to presidential governance.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot;1505827 wrote: I can remember when Federal law was made by Congress after public debate. How long is this lawmaking by fiat going to go on for?

Like aiming for full employment by creating government infrastructure projects for example. You'd never see Nazi Germany of the '30s do anything like that. Or even appealing to mindless patriotism. Nazi Germany of the '30s wouldn't have stooped that low, surely. They just happened to have "National" in their party name.

How closely does "We are one people" translate to "Ein Volk"? You're seriously claiming that's a coincidence?

I dunno.

Haven't heard of Nazi-like brown shirts roaming the streets. Thugs beating up political opponents. Vandalizing stores in behalf of one political party. Murdering political opponents.

Need I go on?

There is zero resemblance to anything about Nazi Germany to what is happening here.

I maintain the comparison is just a matter of ignorance.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot;1505832 wrote: If he was expressing an opinion he'd have written it in a newspaper column. What he's used is an instrument of governance, it's an order from the Head of State.

I'll quote from the Wikipedia page on Presidential proclamations:The administrative weight of these proclamations is upheld because they are often specifically authorized by congressional statute, making them "delegated unilateral powers". Their issuances have on occasion led to important political and historical consequences in the development of the United States. George Washington's Proclamation of Neutrality in 1793 and Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation in 1863 are some of America's most famous presidential proclamations in this regard. The legal weight of presidential proclamations suggests their importance to presidential governance.

Thanks for the info.

You forgot this.

A presidential proclamation is a statement issued by a president on a matter of public policy. They are generally defined as, "The act of causing some state matters to be published or made generally known. A written or printed document in which are contained such matters, issued by proper authority; as the president's proclamation, the governor's, the mayor's proclamation."[1]

In the United States, the President's proclamation does not have the force of law, unless authorized by Congress.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

spot;1505794 wrote: If you stand for Congress I'll contribute to your campaign fund. I'll even build your website.

Thanks, but my congresswoman, Yvette Clarke, is doing a fine job.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

tude dog;1505834 wrote: There is zero resemblance to anything about Nazi Germany to what is happening here.

It's still early days.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

He's still hell bent on that wall. And deporting people. Hands up who thought that was just too much of a joke? I know I did . It's becoming a very bad joke now.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

I don't know about the wall, we'll see. But do you have a problem deporting illegal aliens? Does OZ allow open borders without documentation? I know of no other nation that actually allows open borders but everyone seems to think that the U.S. should have open borders.SMH
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Bruv;1505848 wrote: It's still early days.

Mind reader.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

YZGI;1505866 wrote: I don't know about the wall, we'll see. But do you have a problem deporting illegal aliens? Does OZ allow open borders without documentation? I know of no other nation that actually allows open borders but everyone seems to think that the U.S. should have open borders.SMH

Well, if I believed that illegal aliens were the biggest threat to our economy, I might be willing to concede that we need to take drastic measures to get them out and keep them out. However, from what I can see, they are hardly even a blip on the economic radar. I'd like to concentrate on getting good manufacturing and production jobs back in this country, and I'd like to see corporations and the wealthy industrialists paying their fair share of taxes.
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

LarsMac;1505874 wrote: Well, if I believed that illegal aliens were the biggest threat to our economy, I might be willing to concede that we need to take drastic measures to get them out and keep them out. However, from what I can see, they are hardly even a blip on the economic radar. I'd like to concentrate on getting good manufacturing and production jobs back in this country, and I'd like to see corporations and the wealthy industrialists paying their fair share of taxes.

This could be a real test for Congress. How are they going to budget for the $25 billion it would cost? How does the cost of the wall stack up against the tax cuts for the rich that they want, as well as the other items on their agenda? Will they anger part of their base by increasing the deficit to pay for it to gain points from the part of their base that wants the wall?

In practicality, it will take years just to acquire the land and many trips to court. There is both private property and federally protected natural land that would have to be acquired to build the wall.
spot

Post by spot »

I'm not going to paste the whole of Executive Order: "Border Security and Immigration Enforcement Improvements" into the thread, it's at https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-of ... provements

There's some paragraphs worth highlighting though. We could call this one, for example, "how to pay for the wall with Mexican money"...

Sec. 9. Foreign Aid Reporting Requirements. The head of each executive department and agency shall identify and quantify all sources of direct and indirect Federal aid or assistance to the Government of Mexico on an annual basis over the past five years, including all bilateral and multilateral development aid, economic assistance, humanitarian aid, and military aid. Within 30 days of the date of this order, the head of each executive department and agency shall submit this information to the Secretary of State. Within 60 days of the date of this order, the Secretary shall submit to the President a consolidated report reflecting the levels of such aid and assistance that has been provided annually, over each of the past five years.

There's no hint of how many people these facilities will accommodate, or whether anyone arrested for unlawful residence ("Aliens") will be concentrated here from across America. Can we call them Concentration Camps? If not, why not?

Sec. 5. Detention Facilities. (a) The Secretary shall take all appropriate action and allocate all legally available resources to immediately construct, operate, control, or establish contracts to construct, operate, or control facilities to detain aliens at or near the land border with Mexico.

There are definitions in Section 3. Aliens is not a defined word, for some reason.
spot

Post by spot »

Wandrin;1505876 wrote: In practicality, it will take years just to acquire the land and many trips to court. There is both private property and federally protected natural land that would have to be acquired to build the wall.

I don't remember that slowing down Israel on the West Bank.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Mexico came back again to say, "We ain't payin' for that wall."

Trump's, "Do it now, and someone will pay for it later" thing is getting tedious. I don't understand how people keep lining up for it.
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

LarsMac;1505884 wrote: Mexico came back again to say, "We ain't payin' for that wall."

Trump's, "Do it now, and someone will pay for it later" thing is getting tedious. I don't understand how people keep lining up for it.

I think it has been obvious who will end up paying for the wall, yet they voted for Trump anyhow.
spot

Post by spot »

You don't expect to see a withholding of Federal aid and assistance in future, to recoup the cost? I'd thought it very likely.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

spot;1505889 wrote: You don't expect to see a withholding of Federal aid and assistance in future, to recoup the cost? I'd thought it very likely.

Of course I do. I expect cuts to every government program that actually helps people. I expect these cuts to be as deep as they dare because they also have to finance the tax cuts to the top income brackets. I expect these cuts to directly impact Trump's core voting base.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

magentaflame;1505865 wrote: He's still hell bent on that wall. And deporting people. Hands up who thought that was just too much of a joke? I know I did . It's becoming a very bad joke now.

Well DUH?

That was his number one campaign promise!

The only thing that annoys me is he insists it must be a WALL. He'll learn that is impracticable and won't be financed.

The responsibility of securing our borders belongs to the federal government.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1505874 wrote: Well, if I believed that illegal aliens were the biggest threat to our economy, I might be willing to concede that we need to take drastic measures to get them out and keep them out. However, from what I can see, they are hardly even a blip on the economic radar. I'd like to concentrate on getting good manufacturing and production jobs back in this country, and I'd like to see corporations and the wealthy industrialists paying their fair share of taxes.

I really don't view it in the grand scale of DOW JONES economic indicators.

Illegals come here and suck off everybody and everything around them.

Ya know, I don't blame them, just trying to get along, survive. I don't think it's fair to the rest of us who have to pay/suffer the expense of their problem.

Return to “Current Political Events”