Worrying News . . .

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
cars

Worrying News . . .

Post by cars »

In the news today:

Some other things to worry about, North Korea's Kim Jong has ample supplies to make 20 nuclear bombs possibly by year's end!

Kim Jong & possibly Donny with nukes in the future, oy vey! :wah:
Cars :)
gmc

Worrying News . . .

Post by gmc »

Not to worry

Colin Powell leaked emails: Israel has '200 nukes all pointed at Iran', former US secretary of state says | The Independent

Colin Powell leaked emails: Israel has '200 nukes all pointed at Iran', former US secretary of state says

We are aboit to renew trident it seems so at least some sane people have nukes as well so if the nutters attack us we can kill them all in retaliation that should dissuade them.
LarsMac

Worrying News . . .

Post by LarsMac »

Well, there may be some comfort in the idea that it will all be over very quickly. 12 hours from launch to space dust.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
G#Gill

Worrying News . . .

Post by G#Gill »

I only hope it doesn't hurt too much, and that I can be with my hubby and my son and dog at the end !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Bruv

Worrying News . . .

Post by Bruv »

I only came here to cheer myself up.........never mind.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Momus

Worrying News . . .

Post by Momus »

I'm sure the moment America finds oil, North Korea will see an invasion of epic proportion, Kim Jong Un suspended from the forbidden knot in the market square, culminating in the displacement of millions of refugee's.
gmc

Worrying News . . .

Post by gmc »

Not to worry donald trump is coming to save us all.

LarsMac

Worrying News . . .

Post by LarsMac »

Momus;1501261 wrote: I'm sure the moment America finds oil, North Korea will see an invasion of epic proportion, Kim Jong Un suspended from the forbidden knot in the market square, culminating in the displacement of millions of refugee's.

Nah. America has oil. Canada has oil. The US has oil. Mexico has oil. Many of the South American countries have oil.

We don't need their oil.

China, on the other hand, well, they like oil, too. As does Russia. Kim's little country is just a wart on their backside, and they could roll in and take what the want, while Kim is talking about how bad America is.

The little piggies, Trump and Putin are already clutching their Forks and Knives,...
- DH Lawrence
spot

Worrying News . . .

Post by spot »

cars;1501245 wrote: Some other things to worry about, North Korea's Kim Jong has ample supplies to make 20 nuclear bombs possibly by year's end!

I wonder, did we believe all the dross phantom scare-mongering about Iran having nukes within two years, as claimed in 1995 1999 2004 2007 2009 2011 2013 and last year and none of it anything other than whipping up a bit of public hysteria and Iran-hate?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Worrying News . . .

Post by Bruv »

spot;1501272 wrote: I wonder, did we believe all the dross phantom scare-mongering about Iran having nukes within two years, as claimed in 1995 1999 2004 2007 2009 2011 2013 and last year and none of it anything other than whipping up a bit of public hysteria and Iran-hate?

China and USA have recorded what would appear to be earthquake activity in the area.
spot

Worrying News . . .

Post by spot »

I don't for a moment doubt that the Democratic Republic of North Korea has constructed fission-nuclear devices. I very much doubt that they have 20 of them, or that they'll have 20 of them next year, or that they'll have any at all which will be light enough or small enough to fit on any missile delivery system they possess.

I expect they could, technically just possibly, drive something like a Cheap Price 35 Ton Propane Delivery Truck from North Korea into Seoul with a working device on board, but I doubt they'll do that either.

I am not worried that everything from Croydon to Watford is about to incinerate because of a rogue nuclear attack by Kim Jong Anyone or some benighted Ayatollah. Nor Hezbollah, nor Hamas, nor Al Qaida nor ISIS. What I do see is a lot of fear-mongering in the West aimed at increasing public support for right-wing agendas.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Worrying News . . .

Post by Bruv »

spot;1501275 wrote: I don't for a moment doubt that the Democratic Republic of North Korea has constructed fission-nuclear devices. I very much doubt that they have 20 of them, or that they'll have 20 of them next year, or that they'll have any at all which will be light enough or small enough to fit on any missile delivery system they possess.

I expect they could, technically just possibly, drive something like a Cheap Price 35 Ton Propane Delivery Truck from North Korea into Seoul with a working device on board, but I doubt they'll do that either.

I am not worried that everything from Croydon to Watford is about to incinerate because of a rogue nuclear attack by Kim Jong Anyone or some benighted Ayatollah. Nor Hezbollah, nor Hamas, nor Al Qaida nor ISIS. What I do see is a lot of fear-mongering in the West aimed at increasing public support for right-wing agendas.

Thanks.........thats cleared that up.

One liners can be misleading.
spot

Worrying News . . .

Post by spot »

Bruv;1501276 wrote: Thanks.........thats cleared that up.

One liners can be misleading.

I've just realized my shirt's on inside out, it's German Army battledress and I tried putting a pen into the top pocket and the pocket wasn't there. Just as well I didn't walk down to the newsagent this morning.

That barely qualifies as worrying news, I admit, but it had me puzzled for a few seconds.

G#Gill;1501256 wrote: I only hope it doesn't hurt too much, and that I can be with my hubby and my son and dog at the end !

I'm updating the UK submarine fleet's targeting database as we speak, it will all be over in a flash.

And the Llyn Peninsula while I'm at it. Croeso i Pwllheli, as they say round those parts.
Momus

Worrying News . . .

Post by Momus »

Spot, i am in agreement re: Iran. It appears, history repeats. Doubts concerning Iran were quashed, in 2009, based on the probability , that Iran would be many years from enriching uranium in order to fuel a warhead. It's estimated that the uranium needs to be enriched to 80 percent, for weapons and 90 percent at it's best. Raw uranium ore, when dug up is merely one percent. The enrichment could take decades. The same applies to North Korea.
Saint_

Worrying News . . .

Post by Saint_ »

The Doomsday clock has moved closer to midnight...

Saint_

Worrying News . . .

Post by Saint_ »

spot;1501275 wrote: I very much doubt that they have 20 of them

Just one is one too many for a psychopathic despot like Kim Il Jong to have. In 1984, the West was constantly at war with the East and vice-versa, because a tyrannical dictatorship has to have an external enemy to point it's people's fear at so they won't question the ridiculously poor conditions they live in. Ten minutes of hate a day can easily lead to a nuclear war.
spot

Worrying News . . .

Post by spot »

Saint_;1501298 wrote: The Doomsday clock has moved closer to midnight...When? The last change I was aware of dates from last year.
Saint_

Worrying News . . .

Post by Saint_ »

Yeah that's the one. January 2015. The world is more dangerous than even before. We all thought, and still think, that because a nuclear war has never happened since WWII that it can't happen.
LarsMac

Worrying News . . .

Post by LarsMac »

Well, tonight, the US "news show", 60 minutes ran a piece on one of the US Nuclear Subs, which reportedly is armed with 200 nuke warheads, deliverable by missile. I am sure that the article was beamed directly to Mr Kim's TV set, so he will know that we can already deliver ten times his proposed array in less time than he can say "down with the USA!"

I do hope that puts an end to all of this saber-rattling for a while.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Worrying News . . .

Post by spot »

Saint_;1501301 wrote: Yeah that's the one. January 2015. The world is more dangerous than even before. We all thought, and still think, that because a nuclear war has never happened since WWII that it can't happen.

I don't see any connection at all between the 2015 change in the doomsday clock and the nuclear bomb program in North Korea. The North Koreans exploded one device in 2013, the clock moved once after that (in 2015) and their other tests all happened after the doomsday clock's last movement.

The reason given for the 2015 movement was "Concerns amid continued lack of global political action to address global climate change, the modernization of nuclear weapons in the United States and Russia, and the problem of nuclear waste".

How do you make your association?
magentaflame

Worrying News . . .

Post by magentaflame »

Saint_;1501298 wrote: The Doomsday clock has moved closer to midnight...

Thats a bit over the top dont you think? Lol

I dont care whos got nukes..... i want to know whos bought the computer programmes that stuff up the nukers plans.America has already used one to stuff up Irans nuclear plans.

I cant remember what the type of programmes are called, something 'day' programs.

To me thats a hell of a lit scarier
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
magentaflame

Worrying News . . .

Post by magentaflame »

Zero day programs.......thems the one!
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
cars

Worrying News . . .

Post by cars »

Just noting that the title was supposed to be: Worrying", but could not get the "edit" function to work on here, and or the "Reply to thread" function to work.

After all this time, just noticed the small "reply" option on the right hand lower side of page, and that one works, so now this post. :)
Cars :)
magentaflame

Worrying News . . .

Post by magentaflame »

cars;1501322 wrote: Just noting that the title was supposed to be: Worrying", but could not get the "edit" function to work on here, and or the "Reply to thread" function to work.

After all this time, just noticed the small "reply" option on the right hand lower side of page, and that one works, so now this post. :)

Isnt it wonderful how enough of us are educated enough in 'language' to understand quite easily the written word. And all its nuances.....hiccups....and typoes. :)

It was pretty easy to know what the word was.

Dont stress
spot

Worrying News . . .

Post by spot »

cars;1501322 wrote: Just noting that the title was supposed to be: Worrying", but could not get the "edit" function to work on here, and or the "Reply to thread" function to work.The edit won't work beyond a day's grace (I think it's about a day at the moment) unless one possesses moderatorial powers like Spiderman and such, in which case it's still fixable. I think I've changed it for the front page, but there's posts inside the thread which still carry the typo. The reply buttons all ought to work, if you've found one which stays non-functional when you've rebooted your computer then we'll have to puzzle out why. The trouble with having excess rights is that mistakes can go unnoticed.
spot

Worrying News . . .

Post by spot »

The Doomsday Clock has this week moved again. I leave it to the thread's contestants to guess why that might have happened.
Snowfire

Worrying News . . .

Post by Snowfire »

I'm gonna have a punt and suggest it has little to do with N Korea
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
spot

Worrying News . . .

Post by spot »

Oddly enough that's part of it, but the reason is a lack of cooperative engagement by the US, Russia and China with the North Koreans and not the other way about. They say it's necessary thatThe United States, China, Russia, and other

concerned nations engage with North

Korea to reduce nuclear risks. Neighbors

in Asia face the most urgent threat, but

as North Korea improves its nuclear and

missile arsenals, the threat will rapidly

become global. As we said last year and

repeat here: Now is not the time to tighten

North Korea’s isolation but to engage

seriously in dialogue.

The entire bulletin is at http://thebulletin.org/sites/default/fi ... tement.pdf
LarsMac

Worrying News . . .

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1506024 wrote: The Doomsday Clock has this week moved again. I leave it to the thread's contestants to guess why that might have happened.

Last I heard it was Trump's taking over the Executive office that is discouraging the people in charge of the Doomsday Clock. They are worried about his rhetoric on upgrading the US Nuclear arsenal. (Among other things)
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Worrying News . . .

Post by gmc »

China military official says war with US under Donald Trump 'becoming practical reality' | The Independent

maybe trump can get together with putin amnd take out china so they can carve up the spoils.

One of the many interpretations of nostradamus.

In the new lands of America three brothers now shall come to power

Two alone are born to rule but all must die before their hour

Two great men yet brothers not make the north united stand

Its power be seen to grow, and fear possess the eastern lands

Three leagues from the gates of Rome a Pope named Pol is doomed to die

A great wall that divides a city at this time is cast aside

These are the signs I bring to you to show you when the time is nigh

Of course it's not a prediction if it only seems true afterwards as with all those "seers" who foretold the twin towers collapse.
spot

Worrying News . . .

Post by spot »

gmc;1506063 wrote: One of the many interpretations of nostradamus.

I'm rarely so impressed by the prescient foreknowledge of centuries past. So that I may look it up and marvel at the passage in its original form, in which of his letters or quatrains did Nostradamus say that?

As an aside, the Doomsday Clock is known in France as L'Horloge de l’apocalypse.

eta: The lyrics quoted are from an Al Stewart song of 1973, apparently, and are analyzed in detail at https://zerothly.wordpress.com/2016/04/06/nostradamus/ - they seem remarkably far removed from anything the original soothsayer actually wrote.
Ahso!

Worrying News . . .

Post by Ahso! »

I had the Al Stewart Past, Present, and Future album a long time ago.

There appears to be a contradiction in atheists who buy into prophecy or astrology. That said, I can't completely dismiss the possibility that Nostradamus might have bumped into, or could have been touched by some of those particles floating around the multiverse.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
gmc

Worrying News . . .

Post by gmc »

spot;1506064 wrote: I'm rarely so impressed by the prescient foreknowledge of centuries past. So that I may look it up and marvel at the passage in its original form, in which of his letters or quatrains did Nostradamus say that?

As an aside, the Doomsday Clock is known in France as L'Horloge de l’apocalypse.

eta: The lyrics quoted are from an Al Stewart song of 1973, apparently, and are analyzed in detail at https://zerothly.wordpress.com/2016/04/06/nostradamus/ - they seem remarkably far removed from anything the original soothsayer actually wrote.

You're correct they are. At the time a new translation by erika cheetham was making the rounds and it was all very topical that was his source and the phrases are actually in there.

Erika Cheetham Dies at 58; An Expert on Nostradamus - The New York Times

Her books, ''The Prophecies of Nostradamus,'' ''The Further Prophecies of Nostradamus'' and ''The Final Prophecies of Nostradamus,'' in which she claimed to have found predictions of the execution of Charles I, the Great Fire of London, the Apollo 13 catastrophe and the spread of AIDS, sold in the millions.

They were on mass-market paperback best-seller lists for years in the United States, Britain and other countries, and, since the first book appeared in 1973, they have never been out of print.

Still got a copy around somewhere, she had the original medieval french with her translations undermeath. Basically apart from a couple of standouts like hister and napoleon you had to really want to believe for any of it to be remotely connected to anything. It's not a prophecy if it only seems to apply after the event bit like all those seers who didn't see the twin towers coming down..
spot

Worrying News . . .

Post by spot »

Ahso!;1506067 wrote: I can't completely dismiss the possibility that Nostradamus might have bumped into, or could have been touched by some of those particles floating around the multiverse.

He was what we in the trade call a dishonest, unprincipled, dissembling, mercenary fraud.

of a person: One who is not what he appears to be; an impostor, a humbug; spec. U.S.
spot

Worrying News . . .

Post by spot »

gmc;1506071 wrote: Basically apart from a couple of standouts like hister and napoleon you had to really want to believe for any of it to be remotely connected to anything.

The only potential Nostradamus reference to Napoleon this:

An Emperor will be born near Italy,

who will cost the Empire very dear:

They will say, when they see his allies,

that he is less a prince than a butcher.

Un Empereur naistra pres d'Italie,

Qui a l'Empire sera vendu bien cher:

Diront avec quels gens il se ralie,

Qu'on trouvera moins Prince que boucher.

No mention of a name, or which Empire. I think it's something of a stretch to get to Napoleon.

I could put up a better case for the Emperor Franz Joseph of Austria who catastrophically took Austria, and consequently the whole of Europe, into World War 1, thereby killing forty million people and bringing his Empire to destruction. He was born nearer to Italy than Napoleon. We called his allies The Hun, how much more butcher-like do you need.
gmc

Worrying News . . .

Post by gmc »

Ahso!;1506067 wrote: I had the Al Stewart Past, Present, and Future album a long time ago.

There appears to be a contradiction in atheists who buy into prophecy or astrology. That said, I can't completely dismiss the possibility that Nostradamus might have bumped into, or could have been touched by some of those particles floating around the multiverse.

How on earth do you manage to get the impresion that I buy in to astrology or prophecy? I posted it because I think it's interesting and would probably get a reponse.

I've read the book of revelation I suggest you go online you will find plenty who take it as gospel and indeed it looks as if that belief will be driving US policy towards israel the nuttier ones have gone from blaming the jews for killing christ to wanting them all to go back to israel so the second coming will happen. With nostradamus there ae those desperately cross referencing the two so they can wet themselves with excitement at the thought of the end times

Nostradamus Predicted Donald Trump Win, Prophesied The End Of The World Would Follow

Nostradamus is well known for sharing his ambiguous prophecies on poetic, quatrain form. One such quatrain that many believe points to a Donald Trump win is Century III, Quatrain 81.

“The great shameless, audacious bawler,

He will be elected governor of the army:

The boldness of his contention,

The bridge broken, the city faint from fear.”

There are actually people who voted for trump because they think he is the messiah just as there are many who will argue he is a false one. If you what is happening today in a political thriller you would be throwing it away as unbelievable nonsense.

posted by spot

No mention of a name, or which Empire. I think it's something of a stretch to get to Napoleon.

I could put up a better case for the Emperor Franz Joseph of Austria who catastrophically took Austria, and consequently the whole of Europe, into World War 1, thereby killing forty million people and bringing his Empire to destruction. He was born nearer to Italy than Napoleon. We called his allies The Hun, how much more butcher-like do you need.

Like i said you have to really really want to believe for it to make any sense and you can read just about anything in to it.

Boom Boom diggleboom boom

There you are I can make up stuff as well. 20p if you can spot the hidden message.

My typing isn't getting any better there must be people on this forum who think I can't spell properly.
Ahso!

Worrying News . . .

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1506072 wrote: He was what we in the trade call a dishonest, unprincipled, dissembling, mercenary fraud.

of a person: One who is not what he appears to be; an impostor, a humbug; spec. U.S.

Which trade is that?

He would have had to be a particle magnet.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Worrying News . . .

Post by spot »

Ahso!;1506077 wrote: Which trade is that? The skeptical inquiring trade.

Return to “General Chit Chat”