Where Does Responsibility Lie?

Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Andrew Pimlott: Police pay family of Taser death man - BBC News

Devon and Cornwall Police do not accept any liability for Mr Pimlott's death.

A police spokesman said: "Whilst the outcome of the inquest in 2015 did indicate that the Taser was the most likely cause of the ignition, no criticism was levied at the force or the officer, and confirmed the officer had used his Taser in accordance with national training."

The fact that the poor guy was covered in petrol and holding a lighted match does not have any bearing on liability? Really?

Anyone with half a brain cell would see that tasering a man under those circumstances was likely to end up with a conflagration so how can the policeman not be negligent? The fact that it was in line with his training is secondary and only suggests that the training was faulty.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I think you hit that nail on the head........the half brain in that coppers head was the wrong half.

No body thought maybe a firehose? Just for this instance? Theyll render you pretty helpless ....and whamo! No ignition
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

A good example of when to do nothing.

Still trying to understand how a taser started the fire.

they could not be sure whether Mr Pimlott started the fire by striking the match. The jury said the officer had acted in line with his training before firing.

Cha Ching, the parents cash in.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog;1500151 wrote: A good example of when to do nothing.

Still trying to understand how a taser started the fire.

Cha Ching, the parents cash in.

When you're playing with voltages in the tens of thousands sparks are very common as the charge tries to find its way to Earth. As a Taser has multiple conductors carrying those sort of voltages I'd say a spark was more likely than not.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Did anyone miss the, he was holding a lighted match part ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1500174 wrote: Did anyone miss the, he was holding a lighted match part ?

No, that would just guarantee disaster - I was responding to the question raised.
Momus

Post by Momus »

The problem with cases like these, are the public, who are so quick to jump to condemnation against police officers. In situations like these, it's usually a split second decision. Had he not of used the tasar and the victim had gone up in flames, dying a slow death, by his own match, the officer would be condemned for not acting quickly enough. I doubt anyone will ever have the misfortune to be in the officer's shoes one day. But, let's hang him out to dry and ruin his life eh ?

The fault lies with the lack of mental health care in the UK, along with care in the community who didn't appear to be doing their jobs properly.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Momus;1500181 wrote: The problem with cases like these, are the public, who are so quick to jump to condemnation against police officers. In situations like these, it's usually a split second decision. Had he not of used the tasar and the victim had gone up in flames, dying a slow death, by his own match, the officer would be condemned for not acting quickly enough. I doubt anyone will ever have the misfortune to be in the officer's shoes one day. But, let's hang him out to dry and ruin his life eh ?

The fault lies with the lack of mental health care in the UK, along with care in the community who didn't appear to be doing their jobs properly.

The trouble is that his action guaranteed that the victim would go up in flames, dying a slow death but the Police consider that to be acceptable because he "acted according to his training", end of story - no consideration of whether any learnings could come out of the tragedy or whether common sense should have been applied.

Personally, I see nothing that the policeman could have done to save the guy but tasering him was NOT the correct response.

Return to “Current Events”