The fear of this site being religious

Ted

Post by Ted »

Lol
beowulf

Post by beowulf »

why do you fear him? i thought he was a loving god?.......must be a very shallow god if he expects you to worship him out of fear

but then he cant be a loving god.....if he was he wouldnt allow children to be shot in school or allow children to be raped or molested by priests.....the very people who are preaching 'his' word
The dogs philosophy on life. If you cant eat it, hump it or fight it,........ Pee on it and walk away!!

(/)

(-_-)

(")(")

Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

beowulf;1518110 wrote: why do you fear him? i thought he was a loving god?.......must be a very shallow god if he expects you to worship him out of fear

but then he cant be a loving god.....if he was he wouldnt allow children to be shot in school or allow children to be raped or molested by priests.....the very people who are preaching 'his' word

The fear I have is out of awe and respect and honor, not scared of him.
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

Often I come to this religious section, and its like I am walking through an empty tunnel. Just my own thoughts as company. And I wonder why; deeply why, so many seem to avoid this lifestyle conversation. Its as if they think religion will stick to them like glue.

So I walk some more and just try not to bother anyone;

its getting to be like the Maytag repairman; a lonely job.
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

beowulf;1518110 wrote: why do you fear him? i thought he was a loving god?.......must be a very shallow god if he expects you to worship him out of fear

Those are things that people do. , Not God. Evil is a result of us doing our own thing. God most certainly allows it. And when he returns, our evil will be a witness as to how much we really need him. But God has done evil, which is surprising. And when he does it, it's just nothing we can do about it.
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

Mickiel;1518614 wrote: Those are things that people do. , Not God. Evil is a result of us doing our own thing. God most certainly allows it. And when he returns, our evil will be a witness as to how much we really need him. But God has done evil, which is surprising. And when he does it, it's just nothing we can do about it.

Yet evil and God is a solid biblical concept, notice the book of Isaiah 45:7, ( God is speaking), "I form the light and create darkness, I make peace and create evil; I, the Lord, do All these things. Well it does not get any plainer than that, God created evil for a reason, much of which I am just trying to figure out.

If I may guess a few reasons why;

1. To teach us the lesson of what evil will do when God leaves us to ourselves with it.

2. The knowledge of it. I think God wanted us to be aware of evil, so we can " Be like him and Jesus". Notice Genesis 3:22, ( God speaking again, notice what he says here), Behold, the man is become as one of us, to " Know Good and Evil." So to know both good and evil is a Godly thing, its a higher awareness.

3. Evil did NOT always exist , but good has. God created evil to use it in our creation and our lives;, I think God is getting something out of it that will benefit us all in the long run, just how he is accomplishing this, I am not sure. The biblical reasoning given is the parable of " The Potter", who beats and burns the clay until he has created a thing of beauty. God is doing this with evil for sure.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Yes there is both good and evil. Job is the best attempt to explain evil and it is a total failure. It presents evil but does not explain it's existence. A quote from

Genesis Para "f=God saw all that He made and called it very good." I do not believe that God created evil.. That is just a myth. Cain and Abel are myths as well. Most if not all of the Bible is midrash.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Mickiel;1518148 wrote: The fear I have is out of awe and respect and honor, not scared of him.

Then why did you say you wee afraid of him?

Did god create evil? If he did why would anyone worship such a being if he didn't then he is not the omnipotent being you believe he is so why would you worship?

I feel sad when I look at this threrad. You look for answers but think believe you already have them but actually know it is all nonsense which is why you look for answers but you like to believe you have all the ansers which is why you keep looking. Every time something is brought up that challenges your beliefs you cannot cope so you either completely ignore it or just restate the blief thgat you know is a load of bollocks. Mickiel says his belief in god comes from the bible but obvioulsy hasn't read it ted keeps saying the bible is midrash as if that is some great revelation that only he has spotted. You can waste a lifetime believing things that are not true and many people do so and do great harm to others in the process. If mickiel stopped posting to himself this thread would not exist. Lose religion lose the fear be your own man and stiop mblaoming god for your problems
Ted

Post by Ted »

This sight is religious. I've heard evangelicals and evangelical atheists who were just as adamant as the Christian ones.
gmc

Post by gmc »

I don't care whether you think it is or not.

There is no such thing as an evangelical atheist the two are mutually exclusive. If you don't know what what the words evangelical and atheist mean I suggest you look them up.

What exactly do you think the word atheist means?
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

gmc;1519604 wrote: I don't care whether you think it is or not.

There is no such thing as an evangelical atheist the two are mutually exclusive. If you don't know what what the words evangelical and atheist mean I suggest you look them up.

What exactly do you think the word atheist means?

Yes , the phrase " Evangelical Atheist", does seem to be a contradiction, I agree. An Atheist would not spread the gospel. So I would like to see Ted explain that further.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I am recieving PM's from somebody that wants to save my life.

He has never posted on the open forum, anybody else ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
gmc

Post by gmc »

I am but he's not wanting to save my life.

Excuse me,

If I visit Scotland will I get bopped on the head?

Thanks,

Glen the friend
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

gmc;1519647 wrote: I am but he's not wanting to save my life.

Mine's from truecompanion
Ted

Post by Ted »

Evangelical atheists do exist. Watch an evangelical Christian rant on about being saved. Watch an atheist rant rant on about his atheism and with great effort criticize those who have a religious faith. The atheist rants on with as much force as does the Evangelical Christian. Thus evangelical atheist. In fact some atheists as more adamant than the Christians.
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

Ted;1519654 wrote: Evangelical atheists do exist. Watch an evangelical Christian rant on about being saved. Watch an atheist rant rant on about his atheism and with great effort criticize those who have a religious faith. The atheist rants on with as much force as does the Evangelical Christian. Thus evangelical atheist. In fact some atheists as more adamant than the Christians.

So in your view, when an Atheist gets energetic and elaborates using great vocabulary and emotions, about their Atheism, that way in which they " Flow" can be called " Evangelical"?

Well I can see a little of that, but its a stretch for sure.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Ted;1519654 wrote: Evangelical atheists do exist. Watch an evangelical Christian rant on about being saved. Watch an atheist rant rant on about his atheism and with great effort criticize those who have a religious faith. The atheist rants on with as much force as does the Evangelical Christian. Thus evangelical atheist. In fact some atheists as more adamant than the Christians.

They don't go door to door recruiting though do they ?
gmc

Post by gmc »

I see you still haven't answered my question.

What exactly do you think the word atheist means? You seem to think it's some kind of doctrine that is taught and accepted by a particular group or if you prefer teachings that are taught and accepted about which someone can rant.
Ted

Post by Ted »

An atheist is one who does not believe in God. That does not stop them from being evangelical atheists. Like the evangelicals they are adamant about their faith system. In fact they have their own gospel.
gmc

Post by gmc »

By that definition you are also an atheist. After all you don't (I assume) believe in allah, thor, zeus,athena and all the thousands of other gods people have believed in over the centuries.

It is true to say that as an atheist has no belief in god I have yet to see any convincing evidence that there is one. If you could provide proof I am open to change my mind. I can'r say for sure there is no god but I am reasonably certain there is not. If god exists you should be able to demonstate it and if he wants to stay hidden for his own purposes (god moves in mysterious ways and all that crap) why should I bother with him.

You cannot prove something does not exist you can only prove if something is there.

" In fact they have their own gospel. "

That's interesting where would i find that?
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

Ted;1519672 wrote: An atheist is one who does not believe in God. That does not stop them from being evangelical atheists. Like the evangelicals they are adamant about their faith system. In fact they have their own gospel.

Lets have An Atheist define what they are,
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

Unbelief in God does not stop the salvation of God. There is nothing a human can do to stop God from including them into his salvation.
gmc

Post by gmc »

I picked an American site for you

https://www.atheists.org/activism/resou ... t-atheism/

"Atheism is one thing: A lack of belief in gods.

Atheism is not an affirmative belief that there is no god nor does it answer any other question about what a person believes. It is simply a rejection of the assertion that there are gods. Atheism is too often defined incorrectly as a belief system. To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods. "

Posted by mickiel

Unbelief in God does not stop the salvation of God. There is nothing a human can do to stop God from including them into his salvation.

In that case I'm all right, at least I'm not wasting my life worrying about what happens when I am dead. In my experience most religious people have never actually given the matter of their faith and what it is based on and why they believe much thought. Then again they are not supposed to are they.
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

gmc;1519697 wrote: I picked an American site for you

https://www.atheists.org/activism/resou ... t-atheism/

"

Posted by mickiel

In that case I'm all right, at least I'm not wasting my life worrying about what happens when I am dead. In my experience most religious people have never actually given the matter of their faith and what it is based on and why they believe much thought. Then again they are not supposed to are they.

No human life is a waste.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Mickiel;1519732 wrote: No human life is a waste.

It's a waste of a life if you spend it fearing god. IMO. Man is put on earth to suffer and die haven't you read the bible yet?
Ted

Post by Ted »

I think there are folks here who have no idea what Christians believe. No one certainly knows what I believe.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Ted;1519760 wrote: I think there are folks here who have no idea what Christians believe. No one certainly knows what I believe.

Christians spent a lot of history killing each other over exactly what a Christian should believe and killing or terrorising into submission heretics of all kinds. It's not what they believe but why they believe it. None of the religious folks here seem capable of explaining why they believe a god exists - of itself not a problem but all over the world the religious claim for themselves a special right to impose what they believe on others while bleating all the time about how they are oppressed because they are being denied the right to discriminate against those whose lifestyle their bible tells them are sinners or are less than them so they oppose equal rights for women, or for lbgt or of a different colour the right of those of different faiths to worship as they please.

What you believe about god is not particularly interesting why do you believe one exists in the first place that is interesting. I cannot understands how anyone who has read the bible or studied how it came to be written or carried out any comparative religious study can be religious. Religion brainwashes people that's why pulling away from it is so hard. I sometimes think the most virulent posters on religious threads like this are on their way to non-belief. They are fascinated by non-believers but frightened at the same time.
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

This is not a religious thread, but I understand the fear of it being one.
Ted

Post by Ted »

I recommend Karen Armstrong's book "Fields of Blood".
Ted

Post by Ted »

Oops double post. Sorry about that.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Atheism is simply the opposite of Theism.

Theism is merely Superstition. A esult of Man's ignorance & fear of the unknown.

As a believer in Science I accept all possibilities once there is evidence to prove something exists. Until such proof is forthcoming I have no reason to believe in anything.

I am a believer in Moral Values, and despite what the Theist may make claim this has nothing to do with any Commandments introduced in some old book, as these same rules exist worldwide among all sorts of cultures & Religions that predate the Bible by far. Humans are, by nature, a sociable species & it is instinctive to work to the common good as it benefits all others. The same behaviour is found in the animal kingdom amongst social / herd / hive groups. Are these supposed to be controlled by Biblical Commandments? There is one simple rule that determines what defines a Moral Value. You simply ask if you would like a certain thing done to you. If the answer is "No", the it is unlikely to be a Moral Value. Even the Bible understood that much in the "Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them Do Unto You". If you would like Satanists constantly telling you that everything is Satan's will, and it matters not a jot whether you believe in him or not, you're still going to Hell I doubt if you would like that. Well you are doing exactly the same thing in your method of preaching telling us that we have no Free Will (even though God was supposed to have given this) & that our actions are predestined by God. Just where is your justification for this ridiculous assertion. If you have hard evidence that stands up against scrutiny, then fine. Otherwise, put up, or shut up.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Thinking is way to narrow. I don't know what religion you are talkingg abooujt.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Reading books on comparative religion written by a theist is a bit pointless. Karen armstrong wants to prove some deep-seated need in man for religion failing to answer why - oh yes because of god.

The heart of the matter is quite simple and one you always seek to avoid answering. Why can't you answer a simple question? Why do you believe in god?

Constantly saying the bible is Midrash as if that is a startling revelation or stating No one certainly knows what I believe is meaningless and really bot terribly impressive.

If you believe in god just cos you do and you can't explain it that's fine just say so. That's a good enough reason if it suits you but don't expect it to convince anybody else subjective belief and experience is just that - subjective.

Stop pretending there is some arcane knowledge that you have that no one else has. If you can't explain it or demonstrate it then it's not real. If god hides his message and we have to seek it out then he is not a good communicator surely an all-powerful being would find a better way. If his message is only given to those and such as those then how do we know the voices they hear are actually god and not the deluded mutterings of a madman? Or in the case of joseph smith a manipulative paedophile or L Ron Hubbard the open conning of the terminally gullible.
rstrats

Post by rstrats »

gmc,

re: "Why do you believe in god?"

Since beliefs cannot be consciously chosen, i.e. engendered, a person can only venture a guess as to why they might believe in a supreme being.
gmc

Post by gmc »

rstrats;1519809 wrote: gmc,

Since beliefs cannot be consciously chosen, i.e. engendered, a person can only venture a guess as to why they might believe in a supreme being.

That is just silly. How do you decide whether your beliefs are valid or not? You might believe something because you've been told it is so but sooner or later you have to think about it and wonder why you believe it else we would never progress (for example) from the prejudices of our parents. Experience might lead you to believe something just as experience might lead you to change your mind.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

rstrats;1519809 wrote: gmc,

All beliefs are conciously chosen. A child raised on a desert island with no knowledge of Religion doesn't suddenly become Religious. It is a path that is conciously chosen - or, more likely, indoctrinated from childhood by the worst type of Brainwashing. The question is a very valid one. If I am asked why I believe in Evolution I would answer that there is an endless amount of evidence to support it. It has been observed, tested, predicted & been subjected to endless scrutiny & peer pressure. If I were to ask you why you believe in a God, or that Creation was a result of God, how do you answer? Because the Bible says so? Or because your parents say so? There has to be a reason for all belief. The very word 'reason', as in 'the reason something happens' is directly connected to something being reasonable. If you cannot determine a reason for you belief then it is not reasonable.
rstrats

Post by rstrats »

gmc,

re: "How do you decide whether your beliefs are valid or not?"

I suppose one might look at various discussions with regard to the belief in question and see whether or not one realizes that their belief has changed.

re: "Experience might lead you to believe something just as experience might lead you to change your mind."

Agree, if "change your mind" is changed to "have your mind changed".
rstrats

Post by rstrats »

Four Part,

re: "All beliefs are conciously chosen."

Perhaps you can help me. I have never been able to consciously choose any of the beliefs that I have. Since I would like to be able to do that, and since you seem to be saying that you have the ability, I wonder if you might demonstrate it and explain how you do it. Because you probably don't already have a belief in them, maybe you could use leprechauns for your demonstration.

So how about right now, while you are reading this, choose to believe, i.e., convince yourself that they exist.

Now that you believe in leprechauns, how did you do it?
Ted

Post by Ted »

Since God is spirit It is part of the spiritual part of life. As for my beliefs No one on here knows what I believe.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Karen Armstrong is a scholar. Because she is a beliedver she gets ridiculed by some on here who simply no little to nothing about religion. Bujt hey they think they have all the answers. Amazing how one can criticise what they know little about.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Ted;1519837 wrote: Since God is spirit It is part of the spiritual part of life. As for my beliefs No one on here knows what I believe.

If you don't believe in god you are an atheist. If you do, even as part of spiritual life you are a theist. Why do you believe in god?

Karen Armstrong is a scholar. Because she is a beliedver she gets ridiculed by some on here who simply no little to nothing about religion. Bujt hey they think they have all the answers. Amazing how one can criticise what they know little about.

Judging from many of the posts on here many of the religious posters know a great deal less about religion than they like to let on. If you are not convinced a god exists religion is largely irrelevant. It's not which religion it's why any.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Not worth a real response
gmc

Post by gmc »

Ted;1519905 wrote: Not worth a real response

I assume that's because you are not capable of giving one. I don't care what particular religion if any you follow and it's quite a simple question. Why do you believe in god?

Why do you post on a secular forum about religion if you do not wish to discourse?
Ted

Post by Ted »

Lol
gmc

Post by gmc »

posted by ted

Lol

OK I'm done trying to be civil and engage in conversation. You're a pillock.
Ted

Post by Ted »

I don't think so. You have been belligerent from the word go. Always looking for an argument. Evangelical atheist.
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

Why not believe in God? Give me a good reason not to. Explain to me why belief in God needs to be

Questioned in the first place. Belief in God is natural. It's like nature. It was meant to be. Now why was it meant to be? Because it's part of our existence.. We are conscious of God because we were

Meant to be.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Mickiel;1520009 wrote: Why not believe in God? Give me a good reason not to. Explain to me why belief in God needs to be

Questioned in the first place. Belief in God is natural. It's like nature. It was meant to be. Now why was it meant to be? Because it's part of our existence.. We are conscious of God because we were

Meant to be.
It's in Human Nature to invent something to fill a void whenever they encounter something they do not understand. In Superstition that something is made into a God. In Science it is merely an Unknown Factor in an equation.

The Superstitious used to attribute Thunder & Lightning to be indications of God being angry. Shouting his wrath & throwing rods of fire at the wicked sinners below. Since the growth of Science we now know better.

As for why not believe in a God - because there is no reason to do so. Why not believe in Fluffy, Flying Pink Elephants? Can you use any of your own arguments to prove they do not exist? Science cannot prove they do not exist either, therefore Science does not say that they don't exist, only that it is highly improbable as there is no evidence to indicate that they do exist - just as there is no evidence to prove the existence of a God.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

gmc;1519852 wrote: If you don't believe in god you are an atheist. If you do, even as part of spiritual life you are a theist. Why do you believe in god?
Not so. You are using a Binary argument. Science is never Binary as it always leaves the way open, as even invites it, to be proved wrong. I do not believe in a God, but I still accept that given proof I would have no option but to believe. An Atheist would not even accept this. I believe the term for me might be Agnostic. The first phrase towards learning is "I do not know".
gmc

Post by gmc »

FourPart;1520048 wrote: Not so. You are using a Binary argument. Science is never Binary as it always leaves the way open, as even invites it, to be proved wrong. I do not believe in a God, but I still accept that given proof I would have no option but to believe. An Atheist would not even accept this. I believe the term for me might be Agnostic. The first phrase towards learning is "I do not know".

Splitting semantic hairs perhaps but I actually agree with you.

atheist

ˈeɪθɪɪst/

noun

a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.

If you don't believe in a god or lack belief in a god you are an atheist. Without god. That doesn't mean you would not be open to or accept proof of god's existence but I've yet to hear or see any proof of god. Like Richard Dawkins I am 99.9% certain there is no higher being. (must read his book sometime).

An agnostic is more akin to a person who believes that the existence of a greater power, such as a god, cannot be proven or disproved. You just don't know. Which may well be and is a position I agree with (no offence intended with what follows I can respect your choice bit I don't agree with it) but I regard it is sophistry designed to deflect the antagonism of the religious when you question their reasons for believing, it's not that far back in our history to a time when being a non-believer was downright life-threatening it's ingrained in us to dissemble when it comes to religion. I don't know either but come down on the side that there is no higher power until shown otherwise I no longer use the term agnostic when applied to myself for the simple reason I was simply trying to avoid giving offence and avoid getting in to arguments which when you are talking to the devout can very quickly become very hostile. especially with the nuttier protestant sects. I suppose I could class myself as an agnostic atheist I don't believe god exists, but it can't be proved

posted by mickiel

Why not believe in God? Give me a good reason not to. Explain to me why belief in God needs to be

Meant to be.

If you don't know the cause of something why invent an imaginary being to explain things? I don't know is a good enough answer until you find answers. You are the one who claims god exists the burden of proof is on you, generally speaking proving something does not exist is rather difficult on the other hand if something does exist it should manifest itself somehow.

We are conscious of God because we were Meant to be.

You think you are conscious of god (I assume) why do you think you are?

Return to “General Religious Discussions”