Religious children meaner than agnostic and atheist kids, study finds

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

So, your objection to my statement was the part where I said younger children are more altruistic than the older ones? Perhaps I got that bass-ackwards.

So sorry if that confused you. Correction noted. Can we move on, now?
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Ya know, it's not a matter of which is true it's more a matter of which is more reliable. Studies are done with discipline and with a focus on certain aspects of the subjects under controlled conditions. As you and I raised our kids we observed and interpreted behaviors randomly with our emotions, pressures and so forth weighing on us. We we're bound to get it best we could, but highly probably biased and erroneously.

That's why these studies are interesting. They're not done with the intention of proving any one wrong, only to attemp to be accurate with observations.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I agree. The study, itself is very interesting, and I am glad you brought it up here. I do find the conclusions drawn to be a bit questionable, but I can see where they came from.

The article with which the thread was started, however, is typical of the media reaction to pretty much every study that has been published. The author of the article has his/her own agenda. I tend to ignore conclusions stated in such articles until I can go read up on the studies, themselves.

Sometimes the "Journalists" draw their own conclusion, completely opposite of the findings in the study.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Ted

Post by Ted »

So what effects a child's behavior: genetics, sleep, breakfast or not, the diet being followed, parent's attitude, local environment, present mood abuse, religion?,cognitive abilities, friendships, economic status of the family, and probably a host of others I've forgotten about.

Return to “General Religious Discussions”