Seventy years

spot

Seventy years

Post by spot »

ForumGarden offers its congratulations to The Democratic People's Republic of Korea on the occasion of the seventieth anniversary of liberation from the previous thirty five year Japanese occupation.

The government has maintained a progressively non-aligned stance in the face of uninterrupted aggression by the Capitalist West and the continued occupation of the southern half of its country by foreign forces.

To have retained its independence throughout that period has involved suffering and vigilance on the part of the whole population, anything else would have led to a rapid defeat.

I urge The Democratic People's Republic of Korea to continue to pursue the reunification of its country. The re-establishment of a single government across the whole of the Korean Peninsula should be the the desire of every Korean. Diplomacy leading to reunification, unfettered by foreign interference in the internal affairs of the Korea, is an urgent priority, and the present moment is an ideal time to restart these negotiations.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Seventy years

Post by Bruv »

You just like being provocative don't you ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Smaug

Seventy years

Post by Smaug »

They're not all in the asylum, are they? As for "Forum Garden" offering it's congrats to North Korea, DON'T EVEN DARE! You don't speak for me, Spot, and I doubt you speak for many others here either, so kindly refrain from actions resembling the cheap and corrupt gangsters currently occupying Westminster, or are you practicing your political PR technique in advance of holding office?

OUTRAGEOUS!!

I never thought I'd be reporting a post from the Admin. You are supposed to set a good example, not abuse your position by giving the impression that you speak for the membership of this site on such a touchy subject!

You should feel proud,Spot. You've made me genuinely angry!
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
spot

Seventy years

Post by spot »

ForumGarden has, very occasionally, proposed international treaties relating to the conduct of armed forces and invited signatories to get in touch. We have a precedent for this sort of diplomacy.

I don't think anyone off-site knew I was Admin until you mentioned it.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Smaug

Seventy years

Post by Smaug »

spot;1487371 wrote: ForumGarden has, very occasionally, proposed international treaties relating to the conduct of armed forces and invited signatories to get in touch. We have a precedent for this sort of diplomacy.

Diplomacy? Forum Garden? GET REAL!! Are you, or aren't you admin? You have moderator power, so that makes you part of the Admin process, surely?
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
spot

Seventy years

Post by spot »

Smaug;1487372 wrote: Diplomacy? Forum Garden? GET REAL!! Are you, or aren't you admin? You have moderator power, so that makes you part of the Admin process, surely?

What bit do you disagree with? That the liberation from the previous thirty five year Japanese occupation was a good thing? That Korean reunification would be a good thing?

I'll find the treaty proposal if you like. It was progressive, I thought.
Smaug

Seventy years

Post by Smaug »

spot;1487371 wrote: ForumGarden has, very occasionally, proposed international treaties relating to the conduct of armed forces and invited signatories to get in touch. We have a precedent for this sort of diplomacy.

What bit do you disagree with? That the liberation from the previous thirty five year Japanese occupation was a good thing? That Korean reunification would be a good thing?

Stop swerving the issue, Spot. My complaint is that you give the impression of representing people on this site, where in fact you are only expressing YOUR OWN OPINION, and you know this!! I will not allow you to digress from this crux issue into other issues. To infer that the whole site feels this way is an abuse.
Bruv

Seventy years

Post by Bruv »

Spot, when you say 'Forum Garden' has proposed international treaties....or......offers its congratulations, who exactly is 'Forum Garden' ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Seventy years

Post by spot »

Bruv;1487375 wrote: Spot, when you say 'Forum Garden' has proposed international treaties....or......offers its congratulations, who exactly is 'Forum Garden' ?

The spirit of the times, presumably. It's a style of speech. By all means adopt it.
spot

Seventy years

Post by spot »

Smaug;1487374 wrote: Stop swerving the issue, Spot. My complaint is that you give the impression of representing people on this site

I do note your complaint. I'd still like an answer, though, and I don't see it as swerving.

Smaug

Seventy years

Post by Smaug »

spot;1487377 wrote: I do note your complaint. I'd still like an answer, though, and I don't see it as swerving.

You may not see it as swerving, but I do! Your attempt to digress is pitiable, IMO.
spot

Seventy years

Post by spot »

Smaug;1487372 wrote: Diplomacy? Forum Garden? GET REAL!!

Here it is...

A Protocol for the Prohibition of Lethal or Permanently Disabling Force as a Method of Warfare. This English official text communicated by spot, acting junior moderator of the ForumGarden Bulletin Board. The registration of this Protocol took place July 12, 2007.
spot

Seventy years

Post by spot »

Smaug;1487378 wrote: You may not see it as swerving, but I do! Your attempt to digress is pitiable, IMO.

I was, actually, interested in hearing your view on both aspects. I posted the OP to generate discussion, after all.
Smaug

Seventy years

Post by Smaug »

spot;1487380 wrote: I was, actually, interested in hearing your view on both aspects. I posted the OP to generate discussion, after all.

You want discussion? Here's something to discuss!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... anity.html

As I'm exceedingly angry, I'll refrain from further comment on this subject at present.
spot

Seventy years

Post by spot »

Bruv;1487366 wrote: You just like being provocative don't you ?

The thing, which hasn't yet been addressed, is that every statement in the OP is completely accurate. Would you like to go back and check?

Shall I?

ForumGarden offers its congratulations to The Democratic People's Republic of Korea on the occasion of the seventieth anniversary of liberation from the previous thirty five year Japanese occupation. - the liberation was welcome? We approve the liberation? The previous occupation was abhorrent?

The government has maintained a progressively non-aligned stance in the face of uninterrupted aggression by the Capitalist West and the continued occupation of the southern half of its country by foreign forces. - NK is non-aligned? It has, year by year, been more and more so? Has the Capitalist West for a moment stopped attempting to bring down the NK government and I missed it while blinking? Has SK been free of foreign occupying troops since the end of the Korean Civil War?

To have retained its independence throughout that period has involved suffering and vigilance on the part of the whole population, anything else would have led to a rapid defeat. Was there no suffering? I thought people highlighted the suffering of the population of NK. Would the government of NK, and its non-aligned stance, not have rapidly fallen had the armed forces not been so perpetually vigilant?

I urge The Democratic People's Republic of Korea to continue to pursue the reunification of its country. NK seeks reunification, yes? Reunification would be desirable? No?

The re-establishment of a single government across the whole of the Korean Peninsula should be the the desire of every Korean. Diplomacy leading to reunification, unfettered by foreign interference in the internal affairs of the Korea, is an urgent priority, and the present moment is an ideal time to restart these negotiations. - Truly I have no idea what bit of this you can take exception to.

Have a try.
spot

Seventy years

Post by spot »

Smaug;1487381 wrote: You want discussion? Here's something to discuss!

Kim Jong-Un warned he could face prosecution for 'crimes against humanity' - Telegraph

As I'm exceedingly angry, I'll refrain from further comment on this subject at present.

You're scarcely holding a conversation, after all.
Smaug

Seventy years

Post by Smaug »

spot;1487382 wrote: The thing, which hasn't yet been addressed, is that every statement in the OP is completely accurate. Would you like to go back and check?

Shall I?

ForumGarden offers its congratulations to The Democratic People's Republic of Korea on the occasion of the seventieth anniversary of liberation from the previous thirty five year Japanese occupation. - the liberation was welcome? We approve the liberation? The previous occupation was abhorrent?

The government has maintained a progressively non-aligned stance in the face of uninterrupted aggression by the Capitalist West and the continued occupation of the southern half of its country by foreign forces. - NK is non-aligned? It has, year by year, been more and more so? Has the Capitalist West for a moment stopped attempting to bring down the NK government and I missed it while blinking? Has SK been free of foreign occupying troops since the end of the Korean Civil War?

To have retained its independence throughout that period has involved suffering and vigilance on the part of the whole population, anything else would have led to a rapid defeat. Was there no suffering? I thought people highlighted the suffering of the population of NK. Would the government of NK, and its non-aligned stance, not have rapidly fallen had the armed forces not been so perpetually vigilant?

I urge The Democratic People's Republic of Korea to continue to pursue the reunification of its country. NK seeks reunification, yes? Reunification would be desirable? No?

The re-establishment of a single government across the whole of the Korean Peninsula should be the the desire of every Korean. Diplomacy leading to reunification, unfettered by foreign interference in the internal affairs of the Korea, is an urgent priority, and the present moment is an ideal time to restart these negotiations. - Truly I have no idea what bit of this you can take exception to.

Have a try.

In case you missed it first time, Spot;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-humanity.html

As I'm exceedingly angry, I'll attempt to refrain from further comment on this subject at present.
Ahso!

Seventy years

Post by Ahso! »

I'm in my sixtieth year now and I recall rather distinctly that life in the past was fun without all the gadgets technology offers. I didn't miss them, of course, because, well, they didn't exist then, but I'll tell you, I do enjoy life today with what's there. My car doesn't cross lines on the highway unless the blinker is on, and the cruise control is adaptive in that it will maintain distance from the car in front of it all the way to stopping on its own and going again without input from the driver.

The people of North Korea, if they don't have access to these new technologies, that's too bad for them. I think I'd rather be here than there.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Seventy years

Post by Ahso! »

Smaug;1487384 wrote: In case you missed it first time, Spot;

As I'm exceedingly angry, I'll attempt to refrain from further comment on this subject at present.Thank you. Learn to relax.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Seventy years

Post by spot »

Smaug;1487384 wrote: In case you missed it first time, Spot;

As I'm exceedingly angry, I'll attempt to refrain from further comment on this subject at present.

No.

Telling me to reed something isn't discussion.

By all means discuss the post you object to. As far as I can tell you have said you dislike my phraseology, taking it to mean that I have tried to speak on your behalf. You've said nothing whatever about the content of the post itself.
Smaug

Seventy years

Post by Smaug »

Ahso!;1487385 wrote: I'm in my sixtieth year now and I recall rather distinctly that life in the past was fun without all the gadgets technology offers. I didn't miss them, of course, because, well, they didn't exist then, but I'll tell you, I do enjoy life today with what's there. My car doesn't cross lines on the highway unless the blinker is on, and the cruise control is adaptive in that it will maintain distance from the car in front of it all the way to stopping on its own and going again without input from the driver.

The people of North Korea, if they don't have access to these new technologies, that's too bad for them. I think I'd rather be here than there.

Me too, Ahso! For all it's many faults, life in the west has gotta be better than life under 'Kim Wrong 'un'!
spot

Seventy years

Post by spot »

Ahso!;1487385 wrote: The people of North Korea, if they don't have access to these new technologies, that's too bad for them. I think I'd rather be here than there.

I'm quite certain that if Korea were reunified, and the foreign army of occupation sent back home to where it came from, the former citizens of North Korea would have much more access to modern technology. Do you think otherwise?
Ahso!

Seventy years

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1487390 wrote: I'm quite certain that if Korea were reunified, and the foreign army of occupation sent back home to where it came from, the former citizens of North Korea would have much more access to modern technology. Do you think otherwise?I don't know that. What I do think is that they don't have access now. Minus the complaints about the west you express, why would that be?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Smaug

Seventy years

Post by Smaug »

My views on North Korea are, and will, remain my own and private, unless I can see any profit in espousing them. But I will say this. How would the Southern

Koreans feel about being plunged into darkness under Kim Wrong 'un? Have you considered that? Did you read the Telegraph link I posted?

Do you think that a unified Korea under 'wrong 'un' would be desirable, for South Koreans, or indeed us, in the light of the revelations about him? These questions are rhetorical, BTW.

As regards FG 'diplomacy', I stand corrected. It surely (Re; Protocol) counts as one of history's more minor footnotes...
spot

Seventy years

Post by spot »

Ahso!;1487393 wrote: I don't know that. What I do think is that they don't have access now. Minus the complaints about the west you express, why would that be?

It's a consequence of continued Western aggression. It's the designed purpose of continued Western aggression. There's a Western-imposed trade embargo, for example. Without the Western-imposed trade embargo the population of NK would have greater prosperity and more modern technology. There's the fact that if NK had less effective armed forces, the government of NK would quickly be replaced by an aligned government which no longer had the independence of Korea at heart. Without the extreme cost of effective armed forces, the population of NK would have greater prosperity and more modern technology. How can anyone remove "the complaints about the west" when discussing prosperity in NK?
spot

Seventy years

Post by spot »

Smaug;1487394 wrote: I will say this. How would the Southern Koreans feel about being plunged into darkness under Kim Wrong 'un?Perhaps you have the wrong concept of the process of reunification. You appear to be discussing a successful invasion. Reunification involves negotiation and compromise on both sides. Neither part of modern-day Germany is the same as the old East and West Germany before reunification, for example.
spot

Seventy years

Post by spot »

Smaug;1487394 wrote: As regards FG 'diplomacy', I stand corrected. It surely (Re; Protocol) counts as one of history's more minor footnotes...You'll not be saying that after the first fifty countries sign up, I'll be bound.
FourPart

Seventy years

Post by FourPart »

'Democratic' People's Republic seems a bit of a misnomer, for a start.

Reunification? One man's Reunification is another man's Occupation. For instance, Russia seeks to reunify the Eastern Bloc & reform the Soviet Union.
spot

Seventy years

Post by spot »

FourPart;1487406 wrote: 'Democratic' People's Republic seems a bit of a misnomer, for a start.

Reunification? One man's Reunification is another man's Occupation. For instance, Russia seeks to reunify the Eastern Bloc & reform the Soviet Union.

Russia has never expressed any such desire and I find it hard to believe you have access to their inner debates.

I can think of no instance of reunification in living memory which qualifies in any way as an occupation. Can you?
Smaug

Seventy years

Post by Smaug »

spot;1487405 wrote: You'll not be saying that after the first fifty countries sign up, I'll be bound.

I would be glad to see it, though I feel it to be unlikely in the current, and foreseeable climate. If it should happen, I will be the first to offer my congrats, and to retract the relevant comment on post#24!

I wouldn't hold your breath though, Spot! (Achieving the aims of the Protocol)
Smaug

Seventy years

Post by Smaug »

spot;1487408 wrote: Russia has never expressed any such desire and I find it hard to believe you have access to their inner debates.

I can think of no instance of reunification in living memory which qualifies in any way as an occupation. Can you?

If that is the case, why all the belligerent posturing from Russia, and the land-grab in the Ukraine? Occupation in all but name, legally sanctioned? Similar to the difference between 'dustman' and 'refuse collection operative', IMO.
spot

Seventy years

Post by spot »

Smaug;1487409 wrote: I would be glad to see it, though I feel it to be unlikely in the current, and foreseeable climate.
It may be as simple a matter as welcoming the next Republican administration to the White House if they then proceed to expel the United Nations from meeting on US soil (reducing the terrorist footprint, they'll call it), refusing to pay any UN subscriptions (no taxpayer subsidy for terrorists!) and withdrawing its Ambassador to the UN together with his entire diplomatic team. I can hear the overwhelming worldwide sigh of relief already.
Smaug

Seventy years

Post by Smaug »

spot;1487412 wrote: It may be as simple a matter as welcoming the next Republican administration to the White House if they then proceed to expel the United Nations from meeting on US soil (reducing the terrorist footprint, they'll call it), refusing to pay any UN subscriptions (no taxpayer subsidy for terrorists!) and withdrawing its Ambassador to the UN together with his entire diplomatic team. I can hear the overwhelming worldwide sigh of relief already.

Some rather large 'ifs' there. We shall see.
spot

Seventy years

Post by spot »

Smaug;1487410 wrote: If that is the case, why all the belligerent posturing from Russia, and the land-grab in the Ukraine? Occupation in all but name, legally sanctioned? Similar to the difference between 'dustman' and 'refuse collection operative', IMO.

I have seen Western reporting of "belligerent posturing from Russia, and the land-grab in the Ukraine", I think it's bogus hogwash dutifully placed before the Western public as propaganda. The reason I think this is because if Russia actually wanted the Ukraine ruled from Moscow you can be certain they'd have achieved it already. It seems silly to believe a complicated lie for which there's no evidence.

Crimea historically was always Russian territory. Under the Soviet Union it was administered as a part of the Ukraine. The Soviet Union is no more, Russia has taken back the Crimea because it's their strategic access to the Black Sea. What on earth makes you think Russia wants to administer the Ukraine?
Smaug

Seventy years

Post by Smaug »

spot;1487414 wrote: I have seen Western reporting of "belligerent posturing from Russia, and the land-grab in the Ukraine", I think it's bogus hogwash dutifully placed before the Western public as propaganda. The reason I think this is because if Russia actually wanted the Ukraine ruled from Moscow you can be certain they'd have achieved it already. It seems silly to believe a complicated lie for which there's no evidence.

Crimea historically was always Russian territory. Under the Soviet Union it was administered as a part of the Ukraine. The Soviet Union is no more, Russia has taken back the Crimea because it's their strategic access to the Black Sea. What on earth makes you think Russia wants to administer the Ukraine?

I suspect many things, not the least of these being the expansionist nature of Russia, militarily, politically and territorially. What makes you trust them so unequivocably? Obviously, the Black Sea access is the 'jewel in the crown'. I wonder what else is on the Russian agenda?
LarsMac

Seventy years

Post by LarsMac »

I just think it's interesting that no nation who holds the name "Democratic Republic of ..." has ever proved to be either a republic, or a democracy.

And the only reason The Kim family has managed to reign for so long is that North Korea seems to lack a single natural resource that anyone else desires.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Smaug

Seventy years

Post by Smaug »

LarsMac;1487416 wrote: I just think it's interesting that no nation who holds the name "Democratic Republic of ..." has ever proved to be either a republic, or a democracy.

And the only reason The Kim family has managed to reign for so long is that North Korea seems to lack a single natural resource that anyone else desires.

I agree, Lars. On all counts!
tude dog

Seventy years

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1487416 wrote: I just think it's interesting that no nation who holds the name "Democratic Republic of ..." has ever proved to be either a republic, or a democracy.

Even if there were who would dare risk a war with China?
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Smaug

Seventy years

Post by Smaug »

tude dog;1487418 wrote: Even if there were who would dare risk a war with China?

Also true, tude dog. China is rather intimidating, with it's 10 million-odd men under arms!
spot

Seventy years

Post by spot »

Reunification of the Korean peninsula under a single government would seem a way to reduce tensions in the region. Might we agree on as simple a statement as that?
Smaug

Seventy years

Post by Smaug »

spot;1487420 wrote: Reunification of the Korean peninsula under a single government would seem a way to reduce tensions in the region. Might we agree on as simple a statement as that?

I doubt that tensions would reduce under the rule of 'Kim Wrong 'un'. If it was a democratic rule administered in the spirit and relative openness of south Korea, with no place for the likes of Kim and his cabal, then, and only then, would the idea be fair to the Korean people. I would agree that unification of Korea would be desirable under those circumstances.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Korea

http://www.rand.org/pubs/reprints/RP1370.html
spot

Seventy years

Post by spot »

Mis-spelling the man's name doesn't reflect badly on him, I've no idea why you do it. Jester used to do the same with Ali Hussain Osama when referring to his President and he invariably spoke of Muslums, you're in the same league. It's not a place I'd want to be.

The point about negotiating reunification is that it involves long-term desires. I have no doubt that the leadership of North Korea would step down, as would the leadership of the South. The leadership by the Kim family was a necessity brought on by the unresolved civil war. Once reunification is agreed there's no continued need, the civil war will finally be at an end and the Kims can retire having fulfilled their duty of maintaining Korea's independence.

An equally important requirement of reunifying is that this essential independence of Korea as a non-aligned state has to be built into the new Constitution too, and that involves the total departure of all foreign military staff, equipment and facilities from the whole peninsula before the stepping down of the existing governments.

The remainder of the Constitutional provisions need agreeing step by step, but what's here is an unavoidable core.
Smaug

Seventy years

Post by Smaug »

spot;1487422 wrote: Mis-spelling the man's name doesn't reflect badly on him, I've no idea why you do it. Jester used to do the same with Ali Hussain Osama when referring to his President and he invariably spoke of Muslums, you're in the same league. It's not a place I'd want to be.

The point about negotiating reunification is that it involves long-term desires. I have no doubt that the leadership of North Korea would step down, as would the leadership of the South. The leadership by the Kim family was a necessity brought on by the unresolved civil war. Once reunification is agreed there's no continued need, the civil war will finally be at an end and the Kims can retire having fulfilled their duty of maintaining Korea's independence.

An equally important requirement of reunifying is that this essential independence of Korea as a non-aligned state has to be built into the new Constitution too, and that involves the total departure of all foreign military staff, equipment and facilities from the whole peninsula before the stepping down of the existing governments.

The remainder of the Constitutional provisions need agreeing step by step, but what's here is an unavoidable core.

I have nicknames for many of the world's aholes, Spot. I call Kim Wrong 'un that because that's what he is...A WRONG 'UN!! You attempt to argue on his behalf, despite knowing his record? And infer that you speak on behalf of Forum Garden in this matter? Not a place I would want to be.....

As for the reunification...

The point about negotiating reunification is that it involves long-term desires. I have no doubt that the leadership of North Korea would step down, as would the leadership of the South. The leadership by the Kim family was a necessity brought on by the unresolved civil war. Once reunification is agreed there's no continued need, the civil war will finally be at an end. An equally important requirement of reunifying is that the independence of Korea as a non-aligned state has to be built into the new Constitution too, and that involves the total departure of all foreign military staff, equipment and facilities from the whole peninsula before the stepping down of the existing governments. The remainder of the Constitutional provisions need agreeing step by step, but what's here is an unavoidable core.

Do you really think that kim would 'play by the rules', and actually honour any 'agreement', with a hulking great China backing him? I think that if the above happened, Kim would be in like lightning, and seize the whole peninsula, with China's blessing!

Why do you think Kim would honour any agreement with 'the hated west'?

Kim Wrong 'Un is a megalomaniac who enjoys being revered as a God. (See link below)

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/187170
spot

Seventy years

Post by spot »

I thought we were discussing the conclusion of the Korean civil war. Where does agreeing with "the hated west" come into it? Reunification talks have two sides in Korea - the North, and the South.

If the Kim leadership has China's backing, how come North Korea has such limited resources? They're neighbouring countries (which provides a degree of protection from military attack) but that's as far as it goes.

As for "playing by the rules", both parties would put enforceable Constitutional constraints on each other - I thought I'd said that. The Kim leadership has an objective of a reunified non-aligned independent Korea. I'm sure many in the South want the same. A stronger, wealthier Korea would emerge which would be finally free of foreign domination. The Koreans have had a thousand years of struggling for that freedom. Both sides would give up a great deal in exchange for making that happen.
Smaug

Seventy years

Post by Smaug »

The Kim leadership has an objective of a reunified non-aligned independent Korea.

I'm sure it does....Under Kim!

I can't understand why you trust him, Spot. Especially with his record....Still, there's no accounting for folk.

If the Kim leadership has China's backing, how come North Korea has such limited resources? They're neighbouring countries (which provides a degree of protection from military attack) but that's as far as it goes.

If this was truly the case, why is there uncertainty about China possibly vetoing Kim standing trial for human rights crimes on a similar scale to Pol Pot, or the Nazis?

Just in case you'd forgotten, here's the link again to the industrial scale human rights abuses, and China's stance.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... anity.html
FourPart

Seventy years

Post by FourPart »

Imagine - reunification of North & South Korea under a single government - With Kim Jong Un as the head.

As for Russia not being interested in Ukraine - I must be seeing lies on the news about their sending troops in there then.

The motives behind their alliance with Assad in Syria at the moment are also very suspect.
Smaug

Seventy years

Post by Smaug »

Imagine - reunification of North & South Korea under a single government - With Kim Jong Un as the head.

I'm sure that would be desirable in the extreme....To Kim! For us, it doesn't bear thinking about.

I'm in complete agreement with you on Russia too, FourPart. On both counts. I can see a 'flashpoint' coming if the reports are true abut Russian planes bombing the Iranian Free Army. Only a matter of time.....(Shudder)
spot

Seventy years

Post by spot »

Good lord. For the final time, there is no possible way for Korea to reunify and for the Kim leadership to remain in any aspect of government. It is not a possibility. As an elder statesman he may well be consulted for advice but he cannot possibly continue to lead. I have no idea why either of you are pretending that anyone has suggested he will continue in government.

Take it as inevitable that the post-unification government will have no Kim in it, and proceed from there. We are discussing reunification, not the forcible invasion of South Korea.
spot

Seventy years

Post by spot »

Smaug;1487428 wrote: I can see a 'flashpoint' coming if the reports are true abut Russian planes bombing the Iranian Free Army.

If you're right that the Russians have done what you claim then I'll happily predict World War Three will engulf the planet before Christmas.

Are you sure of your facts?
Smaug

Seventy years

Post by Smaug »

spot;1487430 wrote: Good lord. For the final time, there is no possible way for Korea to reunify and for the Kim leadership to remain in any aspect of government. It is not a possibility. As an elder statesman he may well be consulted for advice but he cannot possibly continue to lead. I have no idea why either of you are pretending that anyone has suggested he will continue in government.

Take it as inevitable that the post-unification government will have no Kim in it, and proceed from there. We are discussing reunification, not the forcible invasion of South Korea.

You have avoided answering or commenting on many issues (and links) I have raised in this particular arena. You may trust him, whereas I think he's a treacherous 'snake-in-the-grass'. Do you honestly expect me to believe what you have stated, simply because you have stated it?

I have my own mind and opinions on these, and many other issues, and I'm not predisposed to blind trust, or naivete, especially about dictators, I'm afraid.

I have to ask where this idea of unification has come from, Spot. Has it been in the news? If so, I have missed it.

Return to “Current Events”