Killing wild animals for fun

tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Smaug;1484309 wrote: I would maintain that untill one actually salughters an animal for food really has no sense of concepts like compassion.

That's what you stated, tude dog.

You made that up.

Smaug;1484309 wrote: For the record, I have no problems with hunters that EAT WHAT THEY KILL.

Golly.

Smaug;1484309 wrote: The OP was about a dentist attempting to kill a Lion in Africa with a bow and arrow. He was never going to eat that (the Lion), was he? What compassion did he show?

For the record, I am not a fan of big game trophy hunting. When done should be done in the most humane manner. I am no expert, but it would seem to me, using a bow and arrow on a lion was an ego thing.

Smaug;1484309 wrote: As he transgressed in Africa, it would be appropriate if he served 'time' there.

If fairly convicted of a crime, he must serve the time.

Smaug;1484309 wrote: Or will "Uncle Sam" step in and demand that he be 'punished' in the U.S.?

Who would do that???

Certainly not the Kenyan who presently soils the White House.

Smaug;1484309 wrote: If they even bother to punish him.

Meaning the

Zimbabwe government?

All things considered if that guy is sent aback there, he is in a horrible position, to be sure.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

tude dog;1484310 wrote: You made that up.

Golly.

For the record, I am not a fan of big game trophy hunting. When done should be done in the most humane manner. I am no expert, but it would seem to me, using a bow and arrow on a lion was an ego thing.

If fairly convicted of a crime, he must serve the time.

Who would do that???

Meaning the

Zimbabwe government?

All things considered if that guy is sent aback there, he is in a horrible position, to be sure.

In post #97 you stated ; I would maintain that untill one actually salughters an animal for food really has no sense of concepts like compassion. Go check for yourself!

As for the blatantly racist statement; Certainly not the Kenyan who presently soils the White House. What a disgusting, 'red-neck', gun-toting, beer-swilling, brain-dead, knuckle-dragging, trollish thing to say! Still, on your current showing, why am I not surprised?

Who would you recommend for President? Hitler?

Racists such as yourself should be banned, IMO, but unfortunately that's not my call, but I'll bring it to the attention of someone who DOES have that authority if you don't delete/erase that particular racist trash!
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

tude dog;1484304 wrote: So one is more civilized to pay somebody else to raise, slaughter and butcher the meat? Throw it into a plastic bag for profit? I would maintain that untill one actually salughters an animal for food really has no sense of concepts like compassion.
Very well put!
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Smaug;1484311 wrote: As for the blatantly racist statement; Certainly not the Kenyan who presently soils the White House. What a disgusting, 'red-neck', gun-toting, beer-swilling, brain-dead, knuckle-dragging, trollish thing to say!
Agreed.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

High Threshold;1484314 wrote: Very well put!

tude dog is, I believe, trying to say that you have to kill an animal to feel true compassion for them. What utter crap! I became a vegetarian at age 15 BECAUSE I have compassion for all animals, and could not bear the thought of some poor animal being deprived of it's life merely for me to fill my belly! I'm 47 now,and still eat no animals, fish OR insects. I would say TRUE COMPASSION is ABSTINENCE, LIVE AND LET LIVE, rather than some flaky reasoning, if you can call it that, about killing to understand compassion!

Using this "reasoning" as a benchmark, could it be argued that the Nazis had compassion for the millions of poor Jews, mentally deficient people, homosexuals, dwarves and gypsies they killed in their death-camps?

tude dog's reasoning is on a par with "dropping bombs for peace", IMO.

Here's the Wiki definition of compassion. For my money, it's bootless to talk of compassion for a creature, if you've just caused it's DEMISE, however "cleanly" done!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compassion
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Smaug;1484316 wrote: tude dog is, I believe, trying to say that you have to kill an animal to feel true compassion for them. What utter crap! I became a vegetarian at age 15 BECAUSE I have compassion for all animals, and could not bear the thought of some poor animal being deprived of it's life merely for me to fill my belly! I'm 47 now,and still eat no animals, fish OR insects. I would say TRUE COMPASSION is ABSTINENCE, LIVE AND LET LIVE, rather than some flaky reasoning, if you can call it that, about killing to understand compassion!

Using this "reasoning" as a benchmark, could it be argued that the Nazis had compassion for the millions of poor Jews, mentally deficient people, homosexuals, dwarves and gypsies they killed in their death-camps?

tude dog's reasoning is on a par with "dropping bombs for peace", IMO.

Here's the Wiki definition of compassion. For my money, it's bootless to talk of compassion for a creature, if you've just caused it's DEMISE, however "cleanly" done!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compassion
I find the whole “eat meat, don't eat meat” subject too complicated for me to make an intelligent commitment one way or the other.

I gave Tude thumbs up because he pointed out (as I understood it) the hypocritical view that killing animals for consumption is “wrong” yet the vast majority of those who think so have little problem purchasing meat in those cellophane-clad packages. I belong to that group of hypocrites and I think it's important for me to be confronted with the fact from time to time.

I gave you thumbs up for pointing out the seemingly racist segment of his reply.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

High Threshold;1484317 wrote: I find the whole “eat meat, don't eat meat” subject too complicated for me to make an intelligent commitment one way or the other.

I gave Tude thumbs up because he pointed out (as I understood it) the hypocritical view that killing animals for consumption is “wrong” yet the vast majority of those who think so have little problem purchasing meat in those cellophane-clad packages. I belong to that group of hypocrites and I think it's important for me to be confronted with the fact from time to time.

I gave you thumbs up for pointing out the seemingly racist segment of his reply.

That's fair enough, HT. You seem to be an honest man, at any rate. Yes, veggie versus non-veggie CAN be complicated at times! It's tude dog and his spurious arguments/blatant racism that I'm annoyed with, not you buddy.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Hey tude dog, let me just copy and paste most of your post number 101 !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smaug View Post

I would maintain that untill one actually salughters an animal for food really has no sense of concepts like compassion.

That's what you stated, tude dog.

[reply from tude dog ]You made that up.

For the record, I have no problems with hunters that EAT WHAT THEY KILL.

[reply by tude dog] Golly.

The OP was about a dentist attempting to kill a Lion in Africa with a bow and arrow. He was never going to eat that (the Lion), was he? What compassion did he show?

[reply by tude dog] For the record, I am not a fan of big game trophy hunting. When done should be done in the most humane manner. I am no expert, but it would seem to me, using a bow and arrow on a lion was an ego thing.

As he transgressed in Africa, it would be appropriate if he served 'time' there.

[reply by tude dog]If fairly convicted of a crime, he must serve the time.

Or will "Uncle Sam" step in and demand that he be 'punished' in the U.S.?

[reply by tude dog] Who would do that???

Seems to me, tude dog, that you are, as usual, full of contradictions and that you do not read previous posts properly. Also, I am disgusted that you should write such racist remarks concerning your President. You realise, I hope, that by saying those things about your President, you must have offended many people reading this thread! I believe Smaug mentioned that a retraction of this statement by you would not go amiss. The sooner the better ! If Smaug doesn't report you, then I certainly will if you don't retract !!!
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Smaug;1484318 wrote: ..... You seem to be an honest man, at any rate .......

Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Tude dog, I just read a post by AB on the "This is no joke" thread that would, to a certain degree, explain why you feel as you do about President Obama, and other folks of African lineage. I hope you are not offended if I quote it.

I'm not saying anything personal here, TD, you told this story yourself on board.

Tude was raised in public housing, population being mostly poor black, probably was gang-infested. As part of the white minority, you were probably picked on. Maybe there is even some anger at the parent(s) who forced you to spend your childhood this way. This is where your racism began. Make no mistake, you are a racist, & these are the experiences you refer to in a post in this thread. These experiences were your teachers.

I'm not denying this was hard for you, but it's time to stop blaming, understand not every white has had such poor relationships with blacks; indeed, have known fine people who happen to be black. Time to face it, see your experiences for what they were & grow out of them.

Or not. It's up to you. As for the Kenyan in the White House, the Kansas Kenyan---we should give up hyphenated Americans. Where were your folks from? Is that how you describe yourself?

I can never approve of racism, but by the same token I can understand the feelings you have had since childhood are not easy to leave behind, or to let go of. All I would ask of you in this area is to not offer racist comments on the site.

The reason(s) I joined Forum Garden were to chat about various topics/issues, make some new friends, share some ideas, chill-out and have a chuckle at good wit and amusing anecdotes. I didn't join looking for a fight, though I am well able to deal with bullies, trolls and idiots.

I'm a firm believer in the adage "It takes 2 to make a friendship, only 1 to make a war".

Well, I've finished beating my gums now, hope we can all move forward amicably from this.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

tude dog;1484169 wrote: Didn't know you were a vegan.

Lol. Good one. I see your point, but I also think there is a difference between domestic food supplies and wildlife. Especially endangered wildlife. I mean, do you want a world where the only animals are goats, pigs, chickens and cows?
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Saint_;1484380 wrote: Lol. Good one. I see your point, but I also think there is a difference between domestic food supplies and wildlife. Especially endangered wildlife. I mean, do you want a world where the only animals are goats, pigs, chickens and cows?

What a boring world that would make it! We need to work in harmony with nature, look after our wildlife and stop abusing this planet.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Smaug;1484311 wrote: In post #97 you stated ; I would maintain that untill one actually salughters an animal for food really has no sense of concepts like compassion. Go check for yourself!

Ouch, so I did.

Can't take it back, but I would maintain that no one buying meat from a grocer has any superior morality over one who hunts for food.

Smaug;1484311 wrote: As for the blatantly racist statement; Certainly not the Kenyan who presently soils the White House. What a disgusting, 'red-neck', gun-toting, beer-swilling, brain-dead, knuckle-dragging, trollish thing to say! Still, on your current showing, why am I not surprised?

Who would you recommend for President? Hitler?

Racists such as yourself should be banned, IMO, but unfortunately that's not my call, but I'll bring it to the attention of someone who DOES have that authority if you don't delete/erase that particular racist trash!

Oh gee, so testy.

I suppose as long as we just refer to one's European ancestry all is just fine and good.

Considering Barrys mom was born in Kansas I had a choice as to which way to raise some ire.

Could have referred to him as a Kansan.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Can't take it back, but I would maintain that no one buying meat from a grocer has any superior morality over one who hunts for food.

I would agree with you there.

By insulting you own culture/colour you are not racist, but when you insult/are derogatory about another colour/culture, you most definitely are! That's one of the definitions of racism, especially if you infer that your own race/culture/colour is superior in some way.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Smaug;1484405 wrote: What a boring world that would make it! We need to work in harmony with nature, look after our wildlife and stop abusing this planet.

Sometimes it is wise to cull a population for their own good.

Hunters are the most in favor of conservation of wildlife.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

tude dog;1484468 wrote: Sometimes it is wise to cull a population for their own good.

And for the good of other species, in the event of over-population. Nature can usually manage to find the balance without our intervention.... Eventually. Still, we're a part of nature too, though we need to be very careful what we do. We often end up marring more than we mend. Man is famous for hunting a species to the brink of extinction, or actually making something extinct. The Dodo is probably the best example of that.

Responsible, humane, sustainable hunting is possible with care, so long as numbers are monitored and limits set and abided by.

Some of my biggest "beefs" are over-fishing, and man-made maritime pollution.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

tude dog;1484468 wrote: Sometimes it is wise to cull a population for their own good.

Smaug;1484474 wrote: And for the good of other species, in the event of over-population.

Better left unsaid. I feel nauseous. :yh_sad

AMERICAN WEST:

AMRITSAR:

AUSTRALIA:

SHARPESVILLE, SA:

USA:

EUROPE:

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I wouldn't have thought that Smaug meant that, HT !! :wah: Or did he ? Wars can be an effective cull of the human being when all's said and done ! :-3
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

G#Gill;1484479 wrote: I wouldn't have thought that Smaug meant that, HT !! :wah: Or did he ? Wars can be an effective cull of the human being when all's said and done ! :-3
I don't know, but if these F-ing b'stards from F-ing Nigeria don't F-ing stop sending me their F-ing “Dear one in Christ” F-ing scamming letters, I am going to join the F-ing Boko Haram boys and cull those F-ing Christian Nigerian b'stards to hell! Just now got another one! They really get up my F-ing nose!

Smaug

Post by Smaug »

High Threshold;1484477 wrote: ...............................

Better left unsaid. I feel nauseous. :yh_sad

AMERICAN WEST:

AMRITSAR:

AUSTRALIA:

SHARPESVILLE, SA:

USA:

EUROPE:

Yes, humans can be pretty vile at times,HT! I remember when one of my best friends took his degree in human geography donkey's years ago. There was only one question to answer, and it ran something like this;

Is it right and morally fair to assume that humanity can continue to expand indefinitely in all spheres of development and energy/resource demand, or should humanity commit to mass-genocidal pogroms in order to preserve this world for the remainder of the species? Reason your answer below.

Time allowed; 3 hours.(I think)

I have no idea what his answer was, I didn't ask!! What a 'facer' of a question, though!
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Smaug;1484497 wrote: Yes, humans can be pretty vile at times,HT! I remember when one of my best friends took his degree in human geography donkey's years ago. There was only one question to answer, and it ran something like this;

Is it right and morally fair to assume that humanity can continue to expand indefinitely in all spheres of development and energy/resource demand, or should humanity commit to mass-genocidal pogroms in order to preserve this world for the remainder of the species? Reason your answer below.

Time allowed; 3 hours.(I think)

I have no idea what his answer was, I didn't ask!! What a 'facer' of a question, though!
I'm awfully glad it wasn't me. If it were today I think I'd have to demand an alternative question. Would you answer it “as is”?
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

High Threshold;1484503 wrote: I'm awfully glad it wasn't me. If it were today I think I'd have to demand an alternative question. Would you answer it “as is”?

Now you're asking!! I really haven't got a clue, HT. It's one heck of a question!!:-3
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Smaug;1484505 wrote: Now you're asking!! I really haven't got a clue, HT. It's one heck of a question!!:-3
It is obviously not a question that could have been answered “right” or “wrong” but given marks based upon one's ability to sell the conviction by logic/motivation. “Sir” must have been bored to tears and with no Ryan Air (back then) was facing a very long summer with little to do and no promise of excitement. I'll bet he stocked up on plunk and savoured each and every reply with wide eyes and a salivating tongue. A red marking-pen poised …..

Smaug

Post by Smaug »

High Threshold;1484509 wrote: It is obviously not a question that could have been answered “right” or “wrong” but given marks based upon one's ability to sell the conviction by logic/motivation. “Sir” must have been bored to tears and with no Ryan Air (back then) was facing a very long summer with little to do and no promise of excitement. I'll bet he stocked up on plunk and savoured each and every reply with wide eyes and a salivating tongue. A red marking-pen poised …..

Either that, or he bought a bottle of whisky and a jar of pills.....:thinking:
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Smaug;1484513 wrote: Either that, or he bought a bottle of whisky and a jar of pills.....:thinking:
Maybe ... what year was it?
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

High Threshold;1484514 wrote: Maybe ... what year was it?

About 1986, I believe. Not a question I'd care to answer! (I'd probably reason both ways)....:confused::wah:
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Smaug;1484516 wrote: About 1986, I believe. Not a question I'd care to answer! (I'd probably reason both ways)....:confused::wah:
1986? I suppose "acid" was out of fashion by then.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

High Threshold;1484522 wrote: 1986? I suppose "acid" was out of fashion by then.

Not in the UK! Acid House music was starting to have it's hey-day, and big psychedelic smiley-face badges were all the rage....:D ( Nearest I can find to an aceeed smiley face )
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Tell that to the dodo, passenger pigeon, great bison ... (or, nowadays, elephants, rhinocerii, tigers ...).

There might be a small subset of hunters who favour conservation but hunting species to (the edge of) extinction seems a million miles from conservation to me.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

High Threshold;1484503 wrote: I'm awfully glad it wasn't me. If it were today I think I'd have to demand an alternative question. Would you answer it “as is”?

No, I'd answer by giving valid alternatives to the two extremes that have chosen.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Bryn Mawr;1484547 wrote: No, I'd answer by giving valid alternatives to the two extremes that have chosen.
As I first read this I thought it an excellent idea! But then I reconsidered.

* Your method might have shown out your cleverness but might also have defeated you if it made you look indecisive, assuming a firm conviction and the ability to convey that were part of the course. And in all honesty had I tried that one on I'd never have finished the thing but would have still been at it until midnight trying to make it balance!

* My method of demanding an alternative question would have demonstrated my protest, eagerness to get down to work no matter my personal feelings (oddly enough), and had a crack at another subject that I might have been able to get my teeth into.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Yeah, it's a damn hard question to answer cogently, that's for sure. Glad it wasn't me in the 'hot-seat', trying to earn my degree that day!!

The mere fact that I can remember the question from all those years ago shows it made

a deep impact.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

High Threshold;1484551 wrote: As I first read this I thought it an excellent idea! But then I reconsidered.

* Your method might have shown out your cleverness but might also have defeated you if it made you look indecisive, assuming a firm conviction and the ability to convey that were part of the course. And in all honesty had I tried that one on I'd never have finished the thing but would have still been at it until midnight trying to make it balance!

* My method of demanding an alternative question would have demonstrated my protest, eagerness to get down to work no matter my personal feelings (oddly enough), and had a crack at another subject that I might have been able to get my teeth into.

Not at all, giving a range of options shows that you fully understand the problem but in discussing those options you make a clear choice as to the best option and give full reasons why - no need to be indecisive at all.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I'm sure the Jews are most grateful to Hitler for such an auspicious act of benevolence..

As for not eating what you kill, I think Oscar Wilde put it best when referring to fox hunting. "The unspeakable in full pursuit of the uneatable."

As for the civilised act of paying someone to slaughter an animal & wrap it in a plastic bag - which is more civilised - to kill a cow yourself, only eat what you can & let the rest go to waste, or to have one cow killed & have it thoroughly consumed by, say, 50 people. 1 cow shared among 50, or 50 cows wasted with 1 cow per person - which is more civilised?
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Bryn Mawr;1484554 wrote: Not at all, giving a range of options shows that you fully understand the problem but in discussing those options you make a clear choice as to the best option and give full reasons why - no need to be indecisive at all.
Between the two of us? I agree. But I'm not awarding marks. If you are applying for a position as a car salesman or journalist, you'd never get the job.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Time would be very tight to complete the exam if you; thought about the question, then "roughed out" your arguments for/against, then any alternatives to genocidal/no genocidal action.

After all those machinations, you've still got to write it all up concisely in fair copy.

No pressure, then....:wah:

For my money, I'd pick one of the options, then go for it!
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Bryn Mawr;1484546 wrote: Tell that to the dodo, passenger pigeon, great bison ... (or, nowadays, elephants, rhinocerii, tigers ...).

There might be a small subset of hunters who favour conservation but hunting species to (the edge of) extinction seems a million miles from conservation to me.

No, I'll tell it to you.

You speak of poachers or other times without the concern of tomorrow.

Hunters want to hunt and to wipe out the hunt is really counter productive.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog;1484576 wrote: No, I'll tell it to you.

You speak of poachers or other times without the concern of tomorrow.

Hunters want to hunt and to wipe out the hunt is really counter productive.

Calling hunters who break the law whilst hunting poachers changes nothing - they're still hunters who break the law.

Everyone recognises it's counter productive but it's a quick buck now against a long term future and money talks.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Bryn Mawr;1484583 wrote: Calling hunters who break the law whilst hunting poachers changes nothing - they're still hunters who break the law.

Everyone recognises it's counter productive but it's a quick buck now against a long term future and money talks.

Money doesn't talk, it swears!
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Smaug;1484601 wrote: Money doesn't talk, it swears!

Too bl**dy true mate :-(
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Bryn Mawr;1484617 wrote: Too bl**dy true mate :-(

I think this illustrates the point quite well.

Betcha they were after rare stuff to sell or collect!

I say jail 'em.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

A follow up report :-

Cecil the lion killer, Walter Palmer, to return to work - BBC News

From the fact the Zimbabwe want to extradite him it would appear that his actions *were* illegal.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Bryn Mawr;1485813 wrote: A follow up report :-

Cecil the lion killer, Walter Palmer, to return to work - BBC News

From the fact the Zimbabwe want to extradite him it would appear that his actions *were* illegal.

Serves him right! Time in an African nick should appraise him of the seriousness of his actions! Thanks for the update, Bryn Mawr.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Poetic justice would involve having him lured out of his preserve in the U.S. and bing poached in Zimbabwe...
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Saint_;1485828 wrote: Poetic justice would involve having him lured out of his preserve in the U.S. and bing poached in Zimbabwe...

By a bow and arrow wielding tribesman! :wah:
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Let it go, leave it alone.

Nuff said.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

tude dog;1485953 wrote: Let it go, leave it alone.

Nuff said.

Ignore it & it'll go away, eh?

The real hunt has just begun.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

FourPart;1485956 wrote: Ignore it & it'll go away, eh?

The real hunt has just begun.

Whatever that means.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

tude dog;1485979 wrote: Whatever that means.

Time for the 'great white tooth-puller' to get his head down....
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Apparently, that dentist says he will return to work. Maybe he needs more money ? Maybe he will find that his patient numbers have reduced somewhat, as there is quite a lot of emotional reaction to his killing spree !

Return to “Current Events”