Neil Armstrong's spacesuit

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
spot

Post by spot »

The news this morning is enough to put me off my porridge.

The US National Air and Space Museum in Washington wants to raise $500,000 to help safeguard the spacesuit and build a climate-controlled display case.

Campaign begins to preserve Neil Armstrong's spacesuit - BBC News

A half a million simoleons? There are Greeks wondering where their next meal is coming from and some tinpot museum is holding America to ransom by threatening to destroy its one cultural icon?

I have a better solution. The US National Air and Space Museum in Washington can put Neil Armstrong's spacesuit up for auction, the private buyer - Elon Musk springs to mind - will conserve it perfectly well with his own money and the half billion dollars the suit makes can go as a gift toward the Greek bailout. That way, the American public won't get asked to divvy up for the conservation work.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1483053 wrote: A half a million simoleons? There are Greeks wondering where their next meal is coming from and some tinpot museum is holding America to ransom by threatening to destroy its one cultural icon?

America's "one cultural icon"........................you love winding them up don't you ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

What's the problem? The Donald probably pisses half a mil before breakfast.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

I suppose it depends on whether the US National Air and Space Museum in Washington receives a government grant or subsidy [1], and who gave it the spacesuit [2], and whether the museum paid for it [3].

[1]: Yep.

[2]: NASA, 1971.

[3]: Nope.

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

They should ask the Russians for advice. They have kept Vladimir Ulyanov looking pretty good for the better part of a century.

A space suit should be a piece of cake
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

The Russians have a wonderful Museum of Cosmonautics in Moscow which inspired me as a teenager. It would be a magnificent gesture if the Smithsonian were to place Neil Armstrong's spacesuit on permanent loan there. It would solve the costs issue at the same time.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

That spacesuit is probably the biggest piece of modern history the world has. Just think, if it wasn't for those early Apollo Missions we might not be sitting here on the Internet right now. Nearly everything that we take for granted in our everyday lives these days relies on that same space technology from the 60s. Also, bear in mind, when they took those "One Small Steps", the collective computer equipment in the entire set up of Mission Control was far less than what we each have in just one very basic Smart Phone - and they trusted their lives to that level of technology.

Of course it needs preserving.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

It certainly does need preserving! The Smithsonian sounds like the proper place, or at the Space Centre.
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

spot;1483062 wrote: I suppose it depends on whether the US National Air and Space Museum in Washington receives a government grant or subsidy [1], and who gave it the spacesuit [2], and whether the museum paid for it [3].

[1]: Yep.

[2]: NASA, 1971.

[3]: Nope.

| National Air and Space Museum

I think this link will take you to what is last year's report, and it is 70% federal funding, 30% other.

I think they should preserve the suit, I remember watching that suit and the man live taking that first step.

The museum is a great place to visit, all the Smithsonian ones are nice. New dinosaur exhibit too in the natural history one. I always stroll into one of them for lunch hour on research days, its just around the corner. And we have taken many field trips with our science students there, it is so much fun. I shall have to plan one this year, but really want to go to NASA to see the dinosaur footprints. I don't think they let you yet. (and I ask almost weekly, my percussionist works there and the sound guy too.....I think they are afraid to let me loose back there) :wah:

Return to “General Chit Chat”