Do you think that torturing a baby is ever justified?

spot

Post by spot »

When you say "GCB please attend another site", from your position as a one-time moderator, it does look a bit like the start of deportation proceedings. Not that he'd pay much attention, if previous attempts to engage him socially are anything to go by.

Age is relative when it comes to forums. You may chronologically be in your mid-forties but you scarcely behave that way.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Just for your information, Mr. spot, I have to tell you that I am in my second childhood (or is it my third ?). It is going quite well although I can't get away with paying half fare on the buses these days (something to do with the wrinkles I think ), so I've traded that for a pensioner's bus pass (free) - even better ! My general behaviour, however, leaves a lot to be desired, although I won't itemise any particular instances, it has been known to cause my son and my husband a certain amount of embarrassment ! But then that's me and I doubt I will ever change - it's something that runs in my family (I get most of any naughtiness from my father !) .......................................... I can see him smiling wickedly at me and my mother is rolling her eyes in despair ! Hence my signature !

By the way you mentioned "chronologically be in your mid-forties ", and if that is a guess at my age, I thank you most sincerely for the unexpected and most welcome compliment !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Has any of you considered the phrase in relation to threads and joining them, the hippy adage "What if they threw a war, and nobody came"? (I thought was a Lennon original until I looked)

Meaning......if nobody engages with the man, the thread dies.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Post by spot »

It's an interesting thread, I'm just annoyed at the pointless gratuitous insults he insists on throwing around as though they improve his position somehow.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1482613 wrote: It's an interesting thread, I'm just annoyed at the pointless gratuitous insults he insists on throwing around as though they improve his position somehow.

Poor mush, he can't veil his insults like a Brit.........................he is........American after all.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

He reckons he's French though ! He says that's why his grammar is not brilliant ! Post 133 this thread.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1482614 wrote: Poor mush, he can't veil his insults like a Brit.........................he is........American after all.

G#Gill;1482617 wrote: He reckons he's French though ! He says that's why his grammar is not brilliant ! Post 133 this thread.

Oh, no. He ain't one of ours.

I think he is from up Canada way.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Bruv;1482614 wrote: Poor mush, he can't veil his insults like a Brit.........................he is........American after all.

HEY! ENOUGH!

Do I need to remind you of your American daughter & grandchild?

Besides, he's French! There are enough jokes about that! See any Goddard film!
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

OK I withdraw........you foreigners are all getting too clever these days.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

LarsMac;1482619 wrote: Oh, no. He ain't one of ours.

I think he is from up Canada way.

Do I detect a certain amount of passing the buck ? He doesn't say which country he is from, so we'll just have to guess ! Not that it's that important. I personally, couldn't care less, quite frankly. One could be just as rude, insulting or arrogant whichever country one came from .

So just for GCB's benefit - grossier, insultant ou arrogant ! N'a pas d'importance quel pays vous venez!
spot

Post by spot »

It is a well-known fact that for the last two hundred years every French person beyond secondary school has written and spoken English idiomatically, precisely and grammatically except when addressed by a native English speaker, at which point the French person scowls and shrugs in a purely Gallic fashion, muttering Nom d'une pipe, alors, sacrebleu, zut, hein? and thereby intimating that he or she would rather die than learn any words from such a barbarous language as English. The further away from Paris they live, the greater the effect.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

G#Gill;1482624 wrote: Do I detect a certain amount of passing the buck ? He doesn't say which country he is from, so we'll just have to guess ! Not that it's that important. I personally, couldn't care less, quite frankly. One could be just as rude, insulting or arrogant whichever country one came from .

So just for GCB's benefit - grossier, insultant ou arrogant ! N'a pas d'importance quel pays vous venez!

No buck passing. He mentioned it in a post a while back.
- DH Lawrence
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Must be a French Canadian then. :-3
Gnostic Christian Bishop

Post by Gnostic Christian Bishop »

spot;1482592 wrote: Tell me, would you discuss issues in this fashion over a pint in a pub?

I simply see no reason for you to be such an unpleasant poster. How does it help?

I am quite pleasant. You just do not like that I will tell a fool he is one when being one.

Regards

DL
Gnostic Christian Bishop

spot;1482601 wrote: That's so incorrect it's hard to know why you should think it.

Augustine was an allegorist but if you look at his account of the flood, Chapter 16 of The City of God, it's blatant that he saw it as an historical event literally described, and that he accepts root and branch what Genesis says of its cause. His use of allegory doesn't imply "this is a made-up story to talk about X and Y", he says these events actually happened at God's command in order to display this or that universal truth to subsequent generations. Which would be, if you think about it and it were true, the act of an even more monstrous God than you're suggesting already.

The same applies to any of the Church Fathers. By all means bring us a passage by one which shows that he thinks Genesis is anything but literal truth.

I will let this scholar confirm what I said. Your attention should focus at about the 11 min. mark.

Regards

DL
Gnostic Christian Bishop

G#Gill;1482624 wrote: Do I detect a certain amount of passing the buck ? He doesn't say which country he is from, so we'll just have to guess ! Not that it's that important. I personally, couldn't care less, quite frankly. One could be just as rude, insulting or arrogant whichever country one came from .

Exactement.

Regards

DL
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1482629 wrote: I am quite pleasant. You just do not like that I will tell a fool he is one when being one.

Regards

DL

You pleasant side fails to shine through the fog of your rudeness.
- DH Lawrence
Gnostic Christian Bishop

G#Gill;1482627 wrote: Must be a French Canadian then. :-3

Canadien Francais, to Franglais, to Anglais, to a world citizen.

Regards

DL
Gnostic Christian Bishop

LarsMac;1482635 wrote: You pleasant side fails to shine through the fog of your rudeness.

I give what I get.

Reciprocity is fair play.

I just do not bother with hypocrisy or false political correctness.

Regards

DL
spot

Post by spot »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1482631 wrote: I will let this scholar confirm what I said. Your attention should focus at about the 11 min. mark.

I can't remember how many times I've told people I'm unwilling to allow any Adobe product access to my computer, starting with Reader and Flashplayer. I cannot watch flash presentations, I will not watch flash presentations, YouTube is foreign territory to me, what I do on a forum is text-related.

Everyone with Flash installed should remove or disable the software until the critical security bugs are patched, or at least enable "click to play" in their browsers so that you know exactly what you're running on your system rather than letting websites play malicious Flash files silently in the background without warning or permission.

Adobe said on Saturday that the newly discovered flaws will be patched sometime next week: Critical vulnerabilities (CVE-2015-5122, CVE-2015-5123) have been identified in Adobe Flash Player 18.0.0.204 and earlier versions for Windows, Macintosh and Linux. Successful exploitation could cause a crash and potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system. Adobe is aware of reports that exploits targeting these vulnerabilities have been published publicly. Adobe expects to make updates available during the week of July 12, 2015.

TWO MORE Flash zero-days emerge in Hacking Team leak – crims exploit holes • The Register

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1482638 wrote:

I give what I get.

Oh I agree, wholeheartedly with that.

The problem is that you rolled in here, acting like a prick from the get-go, and received exactly what you gave.

So, to play on that, you get what you give.

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1482638 wrote:

Is there such a thing as genuine political correctness?
- DH Lawrence
Gnostic Christian Bishop

LarsMac;1482643 wrote: Oh I agree, wholeheartedly with that.

The problem is that you rolled in here, acting like a prick from the get-go, and received exactly what you gave.

So, to play on that, you get what you give.

Is there such a thing as genuine political correctness?

I don't know.

Agreeing to disagree might be close.

Regards

DL
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Without meaning to sound arrogant, it is an undeniable historical fact that as a direct result of the British Empirical Colonisation of the world that most of the world's 1st language is English, or some evolved variation of it (unless, of course, you take the PR point of view, in which case the most common languages are probably Cantonese & Mandarin Chinese). I imagine it it for this reason that other countries teach their children to speak English from the start. It is also a regrettable truth, however, that the British still EXPECT everyone to speak English - especially if you say it slowly & loudly enough.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Is the torturing of anyone ever justifiable????
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Ted;1482888 wrote: Is the torturing of anyone ever justifiable????
I could think of a few.
spot

Post by spot »

Gnostics?
Ted

Post by Ted »

There are those who employ torture to get a truth???? that they think they need but that does not make it right.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Jesus used a parable to get the message of who needs help. It is the parable of the Good Samaritan. Within the human race there are many who need help. Justice as used in the Bible refers to the equitable sharing of the world's resources. This injustice has been around for some 10,000 plus years and we have never learned to do justice. The poor get poorer and the rich get richer. What have we learned in 10,000+ years about justice? Absolutely nothing. Are we slow learners?
Ted

Post by Ted »

In Micah 6:8 the Bible tells us that God wants us to do Justice and love compassion. It does not say anything about the added theological additions that humans have appended to it.
Ted

Post by Ted »

There is another parable of Jesus in Matt. 25 and he apparently was very clear in doing justice and loving compassion. He added no other demands.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1482638 wrote: I give what I get.

Regards

DL

Is that so? Your HYPOCRISY is rather blatant as I don't remember AB being vulgar to you!

If reciprocity is fair play, I take it you won't mind if people are rude to you, then?

You obviously don't bother with manners, either GCB. Maybe you're just too mean-spirited to admit you were in the wrong?....hardly the actions of a "Brother of Christ"- don't make me laugh!!
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

spot;1482597 wrote: Or he could, of course, go into the insane Frodo Baggins thread and discuss their mutual obsession with someone who thinks it has meaning. That would be a neat fix.

Curious that you should say that,Spot. I was thinking the very same thing! An endless loop....
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
Gnostic Christian Bishop

Ted;1482888 wrote: Is the torturing of anyone ever justifiable????

Many Christians have no problem adoring a God that does.

Regards

DL
Gnostic Christian Bishop

Ted;1482943 wrote: There is another parable of Jesus in Matt. 25 and he apparently was very clear in doing justice and loving compassion. He added no other demands.

True but the church sure did.

Regards

DL
Ted

Post by Ted »

It sure did.
Ted

Post by Ted »

The original early church was not about right or correct belief. It was about following the "way" that is the "way" followed by Jesus. All the other dogmas and doctrines were added by the church after about 300 CE
Gnostic Christian Bishop

Ted;1484196 wrote: The original early church was not about right or correct belief. It was about following the "way" that is the "way" followed by Jesus. All the other dogmas and doctrines were added by the church after about 300 CE

:wah:

You just like it because the way was the Jewish way.

I do agree that that way was a lot better than what Christianity has come up with.

Christian I.Q. is quite inferior to Jewish I.Q., I think, in part, because of thinking being stifled by dogmatic belief without midrash.

That can be seen even in the days of Jesus with his rejection of the written word in favor of the spoken Rabbinic tradition.

Compare that to Christianity and their so called WORD of God.

Regards

DL
Ted

Post by Ted »

Actually I like the "way" because I believe in what Jesus did and taught. I can and will argue points but I do not judge others. Did Jesus reject the written word? Perhaps he could neither read nor write.
Gnostic Christian Bishop

Ted;1484253 wrote: Actually I like the "way" because I believe in what Jesus did and taught. I can and will argue points but I do not judge others. Did Jesus reject the written word? Perhaps he could neither read nor write.

A Rabbi had to know how to read and write. It was a part of a Rabbi's job to read the holy books to the illiterate once a year.

Check your Jewish history.

Regards

DL
Ted

Post by Ted »

I totally agree. How many were there?
Gnostic Christian Bishop

Ted;1484288 wrote: I totally agree. How many were there?

I don't know.

The greater majority as schooling was an expensive process.

Regards

DL
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I'm sorry I have interrupted this conversation, Ted, but I have to remind GCB that he has not, as yet, apologised to AnneBoleyn for calling her a 'bitch' - this happened some time ago and I'm sure that enough time has passed by for GCB to formulate his apology ! I'm sure you would agree, Ted, that it is highly insulting for a fella to call a lady such a derogatory thing. :thinking:
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

In case anybody is interested in the original insult by Gnostic Christian Bishop, and it was reported by the way, the details are as follows :-

In thread titled "Christian and Muslim, Inequality OUT, World piece IN"

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/inter ... ece-3.html

Gnostic Christian Bishop's Post No:- 21.............. 7th April 2015..........................then Smaug's reply :- Post No. 23 ................then GCB's reply :- Post No. 25 ...........AB's reply :- Post No. 26 ............... G#Gill's reply :- Post No.27 etc.

So come on GCB we're still waiting ! The apology should be posted on the thread where you first insulted AB.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Thank you Gill, but an apology is not necessary. I have read much of what GCB says & am not impressed by any of it. In fact, I see him as a crashing bore. I like Ted's responses though. Since GCB is so far off my radar, in a world all his own, badgering others---well, I don't care.

I do care about you, however--we have shown that true friends can withstand explosions & move on! I cherish you & your overwhelming ability to forgive. I wish, I wish, that others had this Gift. Get off your high horses, people, & Forgive.

"C'mon people now/ Smile on your Brother/ Everybody Get Together/ Try to Love One Another/ Right now/ RIGHT NOW"

The Youngbloods, 1967
Gnostic Christian Bishop

Regards

DL
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1484334 wrote:

Regards

DL

:-2 What a strange video ! Not my choice for entertainment ! I'm sure you would like to tell us why you have posted this ?
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

AnneBoleyn;1484333 wrote: Thank you Gill, but an apology is not necessary. I have read much of what GCB says & am not impressed by any of it. In fact, I see him as a crashing bore. I like Ted's responses though. Since GCB is so far off my radar, in a world all his own, badgering others---well, I don't care.

I do care about you, however--we have shown that true friends can withstand explosions & move on! I cherish you & your overwhelming ability to forgive. I wish, I wish, that others had this Gift. Get off your high horses, people, & Forgive.

"C'mon people now/ Smile on your Brother/ Everybody Get Together/ Try to Love One Another/ Right now/ RIGHT NOW"

The Youngbloods, 1967

Thanks AB, for those kind words. I will leave the matter in GCB's hands to do with as he wishes, as that seems to be how you want to leave his insulting behaviour towards you. But there are several of us who will be watching his posts from a distance.
Gnostic Christian Bishop

G#Gill;1484346 wrote: :-2 What a strange video ! Not my choice for entertainment ! I'm sure you would like to tell us why you have posted this ?

I just happened across it and I remembered you.

Regards

DL
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1484352 wrote: I just happened across it and I remembered you.

Regards

DL

Are you inferring G#Gill reminds you of a bitch, or is a bitch, or am I mis-reading you? A little clarification would be appreciated!
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Smaug;1484361 wrote: Are you inferring G#Gill reminds you of a bitch, or is a bitch, or am I mis-reading you? A little clarification would be appreciated!

I see nothing Christian in Mr. Bishop.

Return to “General Religious Discussions”