This is God in action

LarsMac

This is God in action

Post by LarsMac »

The Buddha says that what we see in others is a reflection of ourselves.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

This is God in action

Post by AnneBoleyn »

LarsMac;1480995 wrote: The Buddha says that what we see in others is a reflection of ourselves.

And???????????????
Ahso!

This is God in action

Post by Ahso! »

AnneBoleyn;1480998 wrote: And???????????????"He who goes to bed with itchy ass wakes up with smelly fingers."
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bruv

This is God in action

Post by Bruv »

When saying godliness, do some of us mean, goodness ?

I ask because animals can be seen in nature being good or godly by helping others in stress, and they can have no notion of god.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
AnneBoleyn

This is God in action

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Ahso!;1481006 wrote: "He who goes to bed with itchy ass wakes up with smelly fingers."

Not if he uses Tuck's! :-)
Gnostic Christian Bishop

This is God in action

Post by Gnostic Christian Bishop »

Smaug;1480949 wrote: And there aren't too many of those "to the pound!" It's true enough that happy workers are a little more productive, but why bother with higher wages when the competition for work is so fierce? Most people have to be grateful for anything, so can't be too picky over wages.

"Caught by the short and curlies" is a phrase that springs to mind here.

That is the situation that all employers likely want you to think.

They are mostly wrong and will settle for second best because the best asked for more and since the one looking for a bargain did not want to pay the price for the best, our best man had to go to a better employer.

Regards

DL
Smaug

This is God in action

Post by Smaug »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1481416 wrote: That is the situation that all employers likely want you to think.

They are mostly wrong and will settle for second best because the best asked for more and since the one looking for a bargain did not want to pay the price for the best, our best man had to go to a better employer.

Regards

DL

You probably don't live in the UK then. Wages have been suppressed here since 2008, most employers have "closed ranks" on wages to a large degree, and they hold a strong hand at present. It'll get worse before it get's better, as things eventually tend to do...

Given efficient, competent management, of course.
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
FourPart

This is God in action

Post by FourPart »

Most of those that pay minimum wage aren't even really that bothered about quality work. They just want brute force to act as a money making machine for them. Companys that pay better get better results due to their employees feeling happier in their work, with more of an incentive to do a good job. Also, when you enjoy your work, the day goes faster & you don't get so tired.
Ahso!

This is God in action

Post by Ahso! »

How a thread titled "This is God in Action" became a conversation on minimum wage has got me.

I fully understand minimum wage in that the work performed is minimal and in really any sense, quite trivial. The funny thing about that is that that's the trend of just about any industry in the US. Whose fault is that and what does this have to say about the business sector as a creative group? Instead of looking down on the worker in a disparaging manner why not change the focus on the employer and demand more from them? I mean anyone can buy ground meat, or a suitable substitute, or clothing and resell it. Where's that good old American ingenuity and sophistication we've all grown to be so proud of?

I hire people starting at $10.00/hr to basically carry hose around and be my grunt, I then pay them $12.00 when they can used the equipment competently and $15.00+ after they can do the job on their own without me there. If the employee secures a job, they receive 10% of the job on top of their hourly wage.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

This is God in action

Post by Ahso! »

I should also point out that in the US employers are faced enormous disability insurance costs. Disability insurance is based on yearly income. For an individual making $52,000.00 yearly the disability insurance is over $400.00 monthly. This is of course the insurance industry forcing minimum wage down the employer's throat.

This is a huge reason the insurance industry is completely against universal health care in any real sense. Universal health care would basically make irrelevant many of the insurances we now pay for.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
FourPart

This is God in action

Post by FourPart »

Ahso!;1481443 wrote: I should also point out that in the US employers are faced enormous disability insurance costs. Disability insurance is based on yearly income. For an individual making $52,000.00 yearly the disability insurance is over $400.00 monthly. This is of course the insurance industry forcing minimum wage down the employer's throat.

This is a huge reason the insurance industry is completely against universal health care in any real sense. Universal health care would basically make irrelevant many of the insurances we now pay for.

It's worked pretty well in the UK since we introduced it. Plus there's no reason why anyone can't take out additional Insurance Plans (as many do).
Gnostic Christian Bishop

This is God in action

Smaug;1481434 wrote: You probably don't live in the UK then. Wages have been suppressed here since 2008, most employers have "closed ranks" on wages to a large degree, and they hold a strong hand at present. It'll get worse before it get's better, as things eventually tend to do...

Given efficient, competent management, of course.

We are firmly in the grip of our oligarch owners.

If we want to end our slavery to them, then the masses will have to demand it and that will likely mean a real revolution and a change to how we use our socio economic demographic pyramids.

That movement does not even have a hero yet.

Seems our generation does not have the balls to do the hard work and we are leaving it to our children to suffer through what we have given them.

They will rebel against it if they can if they show that they have more social conscience than we do.

Regards

DL
LarsMac

This is God in action

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart;1481437 wrote: Most of those that pay minimum wage aren't even really that bothered about quality work. They just want brute force to act as a money making machine for them. Companys that pay better get better results due to their employees feeling happier in their work, with more of an incentive to do a good job. Also, when you enjoy your work, the day goes faster & you don't get so tired.

When I was in the restaurant business, I started my dishwashers and cooks at minimum wage. If they learned their way around the job, quickly, and showed interest in the business, they got raises, insurance and profit sharing after three months. If all they wanted was a paycheck, they could work for minimum wage until they decided to go do something else.

Minimum wage should be a starting wage for people looking for work. If you want to keep them around, THEN is the time to raise their wages. Again, if all they want is a paycheck until they find something they like better, minimum wage should be good enough.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

This is God in action

Post by Ahso! »

The only thing I've ever wanted out of a job was the paycheck. The only thing I want out of my business is the paycheck. I happen to like what I do for a living, but if I wasn't making money from it I'd drop it like a bad habit.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
FourPart

This is God in action

Post by FourPart »

Ahso!;1481533 wrote: The only thing I've ever wanted out of a job was the paycheck. The only thing I want out of my business is the paycheck. I happen to like what I do for a living, but if I wasn't making money from it I'd drop it like a bad habit.
You don't sound like much of a candidate for Voluntary Work, then

I'm not exactly well paid, compared to many others in the same sort of position, but I'm more than adequately paid - well above Minimum Wage. Of course the pay is important, but it's not the only part of the job. I find what I'm doing extremely rewarding & don't even consider it as work. Indeed, if I wasn't employed, it's the sort of thing I'd be happy doing as Voluntary Work. Before I got the job I was working as a Voluntary Computer Mentor for Age UK. Tomorrow night I'm seeing someone about doing the same for the local TimeBank. I won't be getting paid for any of this - it's just that I feel it's worthwhile.

Money isn't everything, but a person should be paid what he's worth & afford him with decent working conditions.

As things stand, the official Minimum Wage isn't even as high as the officially recognised Minimum Living Wage. That, in my view, is a travesty. While on benefits you get "The Minimum The Law Says You Need To Live On", then if you don't take a job that pays less than you need to live on, having to rely on Food Banks & other Charities, you lose your benefits altogether, while those with all the money get Tax Breaks, so they have to pay less than those who can least afford it, thus increasing the gap even more. Rocks & Hard Places come to mind.

In the meantime, while challenged to publish the statistics of deaths brought about during periods of sanctioned benefits, Iain Duncan-Smith is running scared, trying to blame the opposition of Scare Tactics for demanding something that is required by law that the Tories are doing their best to keep secret.

Iain Duncan Smith claims 200,000-strong campaign to reveal Tory benefits deaths is 'disgraceful' - Mirror Online
Ahso!

This is God in action

Post by Ahso! »

I do a fair amount of work for charities that started out as paying clients. My income allows me the freedom to do that. I am very satisfied emotionally by my work, though it's not my identity. For those who do do work that also identifies them, great, I'm glad they're satisfied, provided it's not prison work or selling or manufacturing products such as alcohol or drugs, or abusing animals (including humans) and so on concerning ethics.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
FourPart

This is God in action

Post by FourPart »

Ahso!;1481539 wrote: I do a fair amount of work for charities that started out as paying clients. My income allows me the freedom to do that. I am very satisfied emotionally by my work, though it's not my identity. For those who do do work that also identifies them, great, I'm glad they're satisfied, provided it's not prison work or selling or manufacturing products such as alcohol or drugs, or abusing animals (including humans) and so on concerning ethics.
Why would you be opposed to prison work? Be it working as a prisoner, wanting to do something to pay back his debt to society, or as a humanitarian wanting to do some sort of voluntary work to improve the lives of prisoners, and maybe to help rehabilitate them.
Ahso!

This is God in action

Post by Ahso! »

FourPart;1481541 wrote: Why would you be opposed to prison work? Be it working as a prisoner, wanting to do something to pay back his debt to society, or as a humanitarian wanting to do some sort of voluntary work to improve the lives of prisoners, and maybe to help rehabilitate them.Who likes to be identified by prison work. IOW, as a prisoner.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
FourPart

This is God in action

Post by FourPart »

Ahso!;1481551 wrote: Who likes to be identified by prison work. IOW, as a prisoner.
NACRO for a start.
Smaug

This is God in action

Post by Smaug »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1481529 wrote: We are firmly in the grip of our oligarch owners.

If we want to end our slavery to them, then the masses will have to demand it and that will likely mean a real revolution and a change to how we use our socio economic demographic pyramids.

That movement does not even have a hero yet.

Seems our generation does not have the balls to do the hard work and we are leaving it to our children to suffer through what we have given them.

They will rebel against it if they can if they show that they have more social conscience than we do.

Regards

DL

I fear you may be right, GCB. The "elite" are relentless persecutors, and they don't usually back off willingly. Don't set me off!

They say "cometh the hour, cometh the man". But if he does come, how long would he be allowed to live?
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
Gnostic Christian Bishop

This is God in action

Smaug;1481605 wrote: I fear you may be right, GCB. The "elite" are relentless persecutors, and they don't usually back off willingly. Don't set me off!

They say "cometh the hour, cometh the man". But if he does come, how long would he be allowed to live?

A hero to that cause would be well protected indeed.

I agree with your view of the elite but that may be inadvertent as they are not particularly organized.

They mostly let the spin doctors handle descent lower down but who can say if some of them do not have real criminal tendencies and would take an attack on the rich personally.

Regards

DL
Smaug

This is God in action

Post by Smaug »

A hero to that cause would be well protected indeed.

I agree with your view of the elite but that may be inadvertent as they are not particularly organized.

They mostly let the spin doctors handle descent lower down but who can say if some of them do not have real criminal tendencies and would take an attack on the rich personally.

Regards

DL

No doubt Osama Bin Laden was well protected by HIS organization, but the Navy Seals got him in the end. With the money, manpower, intelligence feeds and equipment available to "Dark Forces"....

The wealthy may not be so well organized, but the military/industrial complex as a whole is well able to defend itself generally. I remember a line from "Star Wars", where Darth Vader was told by Princess Leia that "The more you tighten your grip, the more systems will slip through your fingers."

Indeed.

Time and tribulation will be their Nemesis.
Gnostic Christian Bishop

This is God in action

Smaug;1481618 wrote: A hero to that cause would be well protected indeed.

Regards

DL

No doubt Osama Bin Laden was well protected by HIS organization, but the Navy Seals got him in the end. With the money, manpower, intelligence feeds and equipment available to "Dark Forces"....

The wealthy may not be so well organized, but the military/industrial complex as a whole is well able to defend itself generally. I remember a line from "Star Wars", where Darth Vader was told by Princess Leia that "The more you tighten your grip, the more systems will slip through your fingers."

Indeed.

Time and tribulation will be their Nemesis.

I would give my kingdom to have the numbers hear my voice that Osama had hearing his.

We may never know who Osama really was working for or if the West was the one protecting him.

The Esoteric Symbolism of the Viral Video "I, Pet Goat II"

Regards

DL
Smaug

This is God in action

Post by Smaug »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1481621 wrote: I would give my kingdom to have the numbers hear my voice that Osama had hearing his.

We may never know who Osama really was working for or if the West was the one protecting him.

The Esoteric Symbolism of the Viral Video "I, Pet Goat II"

Regards

DL

Unfortunately, I couldn't watch it (couldn't resolve the server's address), I'll see if I can find it independently on Utube.
Gnostic Christian Bishop

This is God in action

Smaug;1481623 wrote: Unfortunately, I couldn't watch it (couldn't resolve the server's address), I'll see if I can find it independently on Utube.

The above is the first entry that pops up. It may serve better. Good luck.

Regards

DL
Smaug

This is God in action

Post by Smaug »

Gnostic Christian Bishop;1481624 wrote:

The above is the first entry that pops up. It may serve better. Good luck.

Regards

DL

Nah, still no luck. Never mind, I'll try Utube. Thanks anyway.
Ted

This is God in action

Post by Ted »

I have to agree with bruv on this one: No God involved.

Return to “General Religious Discussions”