Brexit

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
spot

Brexit

Post by spot »

I've only just woken up but I thought that said Jeremy Kyle, who gasps solely for effect.

Jeremy Corbyn has undoubtedly talked his socks off for the last two months and he'll know all about pacing himself. His normal speaking voice is unassuming, he can employ a dramatic ringing projection when the time demands but it's rarely heard.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Brexit

Post by spot »

I heard it rumoured that if the British vote Leave tomorrow, the English will then be offered a referendum on "Leave The Union" and abandon the Welsh, the Scots and the Ulstermen to their respective fates. So they say.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Brexit

Post by Bruv »

Corbyn has, I have noticed, a way of emphasising points by repeating the proposition (or is it preposition) then the answer (or query) In the manner of Churchill ie "We shall fight them on the beaches we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills"

And I think other politicians have adopted it as well.....or it's the first time I have noticed.

Who are you kidding Spot, trying to tell us you are familiar with Jeremy Kyle's talking style ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Brexit

Post by spot »

I have occasionally heard Mr Kyle mentioned in disparaging terms but I have never met the gentleman.
gmc

Brexit

Post by gmc »

spot;1497404 wrote: I heard it rumoured that if the British vote Leave tomorrow, the English will then be offered a referendum on "Leave The Union" and abandon the Welsh, the Scots and the Ulstermen to their respective fates. So they say.

The nationalism of UKIP is a peculiarly nasty english version that fails to recognise that there are actually differnt nationalities involved in this union and that snp support is driven more by a hatred for the tories and right wing economic policies than anything else. He also forgets the english are not native to these isles but came across by boat followed by the vikings and the normans (french in other words). (the word welsh derives from an anglo saxon word for foreigner).

I hope the vote is to remain in europe but if it isn't the further we can get away from a declining bankrupt fascist england the better.
Saint_

Brexit

Post by Saint_ »

Interestingly enough, yesterday was the first time I can remember where I watched more people on the news from Britain and more British news than American news. There was some guy with wild blonde hair that seemed to be your version of Donald Trump. (He was screaming and hollering) and another guy named "Cameron" who seemed to be a bit out of his depth...
spot

Brexit

Post by spot »

The wild blonde - born in New York, by the way - will become Prime Minister this summer if Britain votes Leave. So-called "Cameron" will stay Prime Minister a while longer if Britain votes Remain. It is impossible for Jeremy Corbyn to become Prime Minister before May 2020 and I expect you can get odds of 500:1 that he'll never make it.
Saint_

Brexit

Post by Saint_ »

spot;1497434 wrote: The wild blonde - born in New York, by the way

That's odd...it's the same place Trump is from.

I expect you can get odds of 500:1 that he'll never make it.

That's odd...those are the same odds as Trump is getting for becoming President.
Bruv

Brexit

Post by Bruv »

Latest betting odds HERE

I think that means we are staying.
Bryn Mawr

Brexit

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1497441 wrote: Latest betting odds HERE

I think that means we are staying.

The bookies don't make the result - *we've* got to go out and make it happen :-)
gmc

Brexit

Post by gmc »

I really hope we do stay. The leave side really are not putting logical arguments and making up facts to suit. Didn't watch all the eu debate and I'm not one of her supporters but

Ruth Davidson tells Boris Johnson he's peddling lies over EU referendum | UK Politics | News | The Independent

You can't handle the truth (sorry couldn't resist)

To get elected as a tory msp in glasgow takes some doing. Sadly none of the labour msp's can hold a candle to either her or sturgeon when it comes to debate. It was fun watching jim murphy beimg taken to bits by the pair he didn't knwow what hit him.
Saint_

Brexit

Post by Saint_ »

How come nobody made this a polling thread?!!
spot

Brexit

Post by spot »

We're British.
Saint_

Brexit

Post by Saint_ »

:wah:spot;1497450 wrote: We're British.

That works on so many levels...
magentaflame

Brexit

Post by magentaflame »

Hmmm

I dont know what that scottish mp was talking about during the debate. I havent heard any ministers opinion on staying or leaving.

I was watching a national agricultural show called Landline last sunday and the commentator was saying if you stay nothing will change, but if you leave it will open up new markets for us. And thats a good thing.

Is it really true that Belguim is making 15% of british law?

And what about the Commonwealth? Im not part of the commonwealthe of Europe
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
FourPart

Brexit

Post by FourPart »

Saint_;1497448 wrote: How come nobody made this a polling thread?!!
I did. I made 3 options - Leave, Remain, or Undecided.

I'm not one for betting, but the link on the latest odds shows 4/1 for Remain & 10/1 for Leave. Doesn't that mean that if you bet on both you'll still end up ahead? If you bet £1 on Remain & £1 on Leave if the vote goes to Remain you'll get £5 (£4 + £1 stake), although you lose the other £1, so still £4 up. If the vote goes Leave you get £11 (£10 + £1 stake), but lose the other £1 so still £10 up. Either way, it's win-win. Or have I misunderstood how these odds work?
FourPart

Brexit

Post by FourPart »

Wandrin;1497384 wrote: How binding is the vote? If the vote goes for exit, what is the likelihood that the politicians will delay, then reframe the question and have another referendum?

It's not legally binding at all.

Will the EU referendum result be legally binding? | The Week UK
spot

Brexit

Post by spot »

FourPart;1497470 wrote: It's not legally binding at all.There's a difference between binding and legally binding. It's not legally binding, as you say. The question was whether it's binding. Yes, of course it's binding if there's a Leave majority. It would be the end of the Conservative party if the country didn't then leave, not even so-called Cameron is going to commit such outright party suicide.
Bryn Mawr

Brexit

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FourPart;1497469 wrote: I did. I made 3 options - Leave, Remain, or Undecided.

I'm not one for betting, but the link on the latest odds shows 4/1 for Remain & 10/1 for Leave. Doesn't that mean that if you bet on both you'll still end up ahead? If you bet £1 on Remain & £1 on Leave if the vote goes to Remain you'll get £5 (£4 + £1 stake), although you lose the other £1, so still £4 up. If the vote goes Leave you get £11 (£10 + £1 stake), but lose the other £1 so still £10 up. Either way, it's win-win. Or have I misunderstood how these odds work?

Slight difference, leave is 8/1 but remain is 1/4 - you bet £4 to get a £1 return
spot

Brexit

Post by spot »

Off today's BBC...

What? Nuns can vote?
Bruv

Brexit

Post by Bruv »

Have I posted this, there is so many EU threads on the go right now I am not sure.

Best odds for leaving ?
spot

Brexit

Post by spot »

This is rather interesting, I thought.

Google searches

Brexit vote 2016: Top issues by UK local authority

Top-searched EU referendum issues 31 May, 2016 to 7 June, 2016.

https://googledataorg.cartodb.com/u/goo ... /embed_map
spot

Brexit

Post by spot »

"A senior official from the euro-skeptical, anti-immigration Alternative for Germany party wants Germany to hold its own Brexit to end European Union membership, the Wall Street Journal reported Thursday". - Brexit Referendum Live Updates: Vote Results, Stock Market Reactions And What Happens Next If The UK Leaves The EU

That would be a Dabgang rather than a Brexit, surely.
Bryn Mawr

Brexit

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1497530 wrote: This is rather interesting, I thought.

Google searches

Brexit vote 2016: Top issues by UK local authority

Top-searched EU referendum issues 31 May, 2016 to 7 June, 2016.

https://googledataorg.cartodb.com/u/goo ... /embed_map

Why on Earth would Mid-Wales be so solidly fixated on immigration?
spot

Brexit

Post by spot »

UKIP did land seven seats in the Welsh Assembly a couple of months ago, they being now led in the chamber by Neil Hamilton.

There's Wales, there's a swathe from Cornwall to the Wash, and there's a shotgun scattering elsewhere.
spot

Brexit

Post by spot »

This really ought to sew things up...Germany’s premier tabloid Bild has vowed to fulfil a series of promises if the Brits vote to remain in the EU, chief among them admitting Geoff Hurst’s disputed 1966 World Cup goal was over the line.

With tongue firmly in cheek, the national daily swing into action today to convince any stragglers - using the country’s renowned wit - that the people of Blighty are all better off sticking together.

“Dear Britons, if you stay in the EU, we will recognise the Wembley goal!” the paper stated.

Of course, goal line technology has already proved this beyond doubt, but it will be nice if our Kraut cousins finally acknowledge that once in our history, the English did beat them at the sport of "chav" kings.

Continuing with the same theme, the paper said the next time faces England in a penalty shoot-out, it will do so without a goalie, but El Reg suspects our lads would still manage to screw it up.

The paper, on behalf of the German nation, also pledged to to forgo “sunscreen” at the beach in “solidarity with your sunburns”, and to “reserve” hotel loungers in the mornings “with our towels”.

Germany: If Brits vote to Remain, we'll admit Hurst's 1966 goal was a goal • The Register

spot

Brexit

Post by spot »

Nigel Farage may have just conceded, saying the Eurosceptic Genie ran out of bottle. It was a quick flit-by of a breaking news thing and I have no idea what the words mean but it sounds as disconsolate as the mewling of a Kittiwake watching its young devoured by rats.
spot

Brexit

Post by spot »

I've just seen the pound crash from $1.50 to $1.43 in a mere 30 minutes. I can't think of any more blatant Leave signal. The only results which led to that were Newcastle on Tyne and Sunderland which were both, presumably, to the Leave side of the financier's poll-day sampling.

Kamal Ahmed on Twitter

https://twitter.com/search/Kamal+Ahmed

Kamal Ahmed (@bbckamal)

8 mins ago - View on Twitter

Woah .... sterling falls 2% on Newcastle and Sunderland result. now at $1.43 #EUref Market thinking Leave looking stronger
LarsMac

Brexit

Post by LarsMac »

Well, word around here is that the markets are NOT happy.

And the decision is not final, yet, but sliding towards the exit.

Be interesting to see how this all plays out.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Brexit

Post by magentaflame »

After the calling, to leave. I promise never to call a Brit a softcockle again.

The people have spoken, if the markets and pollies are upset then its just a load of rich people with their noses out of joint. And of course wall street will punish you but it will be short lived.

The wrongs of 1978 has been righted....... im so proud of auntie right now. Watch france and germany follow suit.

Ive been watching it all day.... watched every economic commentator give their opinions and then one comment stunned me...."its only an advisory referendom"....advisory?
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
gmc

Brexit

Post by gmc »

We're ****ed. Never mind roll on a second scottish independence referendum.
magentaflame

Brexit

Post by magentaflame »

gmc;1497570 wrote: We're ****ed. Never mind roll on a second scottish independence referendum.

I think Scotland is learning their lesson, that you cant have it both ways.
spot

Brexit

Post by spot »

The world has definitely changed. No party will refuse to execute the Leave instruction, because it simply wouldn't ever get into power again if it did that. This is really a Leave situation now.

Britain has suddenly turned extremist for the rest of our lifetimes.

So-called David Cameron chose to gamble, last year, in exchange for another term in office, and we'll all now pay the price for his losing our shirt. Pride has once again become a fall, yet another failed squalid politician has shuffled off to where with any luck we can permanently ignore him. The BBC spoke to the incompetent but rather less destructive Ed Milliband last night. What a pitiful choice May 2015 presented.

And Boris will be PM, eh. We live in interesting times.
Bryn Mawr

Brexit

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Oh my God, what have we done :-(
gmc

Brexit

Post by gmc »

magentaflame;1497571 wrote: I think Scotland is learning their lesson, that you cant have it both ways.

What do you mean by that?
spot

Brexit

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1497573 wrote: Oh my God, what have we done :-(

The Judgment Of England

G.K. Chesterton

"Ill fares the land, to hastening ills a prey

Where Wealth accumulates and Men decay."

So rang of old the noble voice in vain

O'er the Last Peasants wandering on the plain,

Doom has reversed the riddle and the rhyme,

While sinks the commerce reared upon that crime,

The thriftless towns litter with lives undone,

To whom our madness left no joy but one;

And irony that glares like Judgment Day

Sees Men accumulate and Wealth decay.
flopstock

Brexit

Post by flopstock »

All I can think - is that you folks have certainly out-Trumped us today.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

magentaflame

Brexit

Post by magentaflame »

Just watching our prime minister commenting on this . Our federal election is next week and he seems to be slightly pooing himself.
magentaflame

Brexit

Post by magentaflame »

gmc;1497574 wrote: What do you mean by that?

You mean, would i like to explain my comment?

Well, Scotland had a chance to leave Englands' political hold over them but stay in the EU. Scotland chose to stay with Englands parliament. Now your MPs are screaming blue murder.

Like i said, you cant have it both ways.

The politics around leaving the EU have been around since the nineties.

Hence, cop it sweet my friend.
FourPart

Brexit

Post by FourPart »

When I first saw results starting to come in Remain had a slight lead. Then it swung over to Leave - and stayed there. At which point I knew I had to get some sleep, as I've got an interview this morning. Next thing I knew I was waking to the news that Leave won. Still fairly close, but still decisive enough to be definite. Best news I've had all day. Hopefully the interview will go as well.

I think it was always a foregone conclusion that Scotland would go for Remain, and I can well imagine there being another Independence Referendum. The results of which could be even more interesting - especially now that their argument based on oil (which pretty much the entire Independence campaign was based on) has proved wrong. They're pro-EU, but would they want to adopt the Euro, as they wouldn't have Sterling. Come to that, if they did get Independence, they would have to apply for Membership separately, but the question would be by the time they came to apply, would the EU still be standing?
Betty Boop

Brexit

Post by Betty Boop »

Bryn Mawr;1497573 wrote: Oh my God, what have we done :-(

My sentiments exactly, I fear for the future of our youngsters.

I might feel better if it had been an overwhelming win but it isn't.
FourPart

Brexit

Post by FourPart »

It gets better - Cameron's standing down.
gmc

Brexit

Post by gmc »

magentaflame;1497578 wrote: You mean, would i like to explain my comment?

Well, Scotland had a chance to leave Englands' political hold over them but stay in the EU. Scotland chose to stay with Englands parliament. Now your MPs are screaming blue murder.

Like i said, you cant have it both ways.

The politics around leaving the EU have been around since the nineties.

Hence, cop it sweet my friend.

You kind of miss the point don't you. It's not england's parliament it's supposedly one for the whole UK maybe when the new tory party leadership start privatising the NHS, doing away with state pensions removing the minimum wage and other workers rights the daily mail readers in england might realise what they have actually voted for. After the indyref unionist supporters attacked independence supporters in George Square in glasgow how long before the level of violence against foreigners starts to rise, exenophobia, racism and telling blatant lies in political campaigns have just been legitimised. Now all the nonsense about we're all in it together and those who were daft enough to belief the remain campaign have had it driven home how wrong they were have been clarified a second indyref is a strong possibility although not certain. NI voted to remain in the EU The ussue of a united ireland has also been tossed up in the air. Incidentally there was a scottish home rule bill on theagenda in 1914 that the oputbreak of ww1 scuppered it. Scotland lost one in seven of it's male population in ww1 it's taken a long time to recover.

I know a few expats living and working in europe their future is now on the rocks just as has that of all those who live and work here. The irony is it's not eu migration people really object to it's that from outside the eu from our old empire.

posted by four part

I think it was always a foregone conclusion that Scotland would go for Remain, and I can well imagine there being another Independence Referendum. The results of which could be even more interesting - especially now that their argument based on oil (which pretty much the entire Independence campaign was based on) has proved wrong. They're pro-EU, but would they want to adopt the Euro, as they wouldn't have Sterling. Come to that, if they did get Independence, they would have to apply for Membership separately, but the question would be by the time they came to apply, would the EU still be standing?

No it wasn't. Scotland can survive on it's own I'm not so sure about england with a fascist government.
Bruv

Brexit

Post by Bruv »

I am astounded and amazed.

OK that's it...............lets move on.

Why is Farage being asked about the way forward ?...... he is out of a job......isn't he ?

Cameron to go and Boris to replace him, it couldn't get worse could it ?

Yup......Scotland wants to remain, so that's got to be dealt with somehow......Northern Ireland voted remain, now Sinn Fein thinks it's back in business.

Corbyn is going to be kicked out, and as much as I like him, I wouldn't want him leading my party into an election, no bloody oomph, no charisma, like a boring uncle.

Gisella Stuart a German immigrant (funnily enough) impressed me greatly during the campaign, can't think of any other half decent Labour leader.

And that's just here.........now we have to back carefully out the door saying goodbye to our continental cousins, trusting they allow us some dignity and some scrapings in our begging bowl.
Bruv

Brexit

Post by Bruv »

Oh give over gmc......fascist government ?

A little further right than you and I might like......but fascist ?
Bryn Mawr

Brexit

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1497591 wrote: Oh give over gmc......fascist government ?

A little further right than you and I might like......but fascist ?

If Farage is involved in it (and after this result the next general election might just see that) then as near as damnit is to swearing.
Bryn Mawr

Brexit

Post by Bryn Mawr »

and the rush begins :-

Morgan Stanley begins moving 2,000 London jobs to Dublin and Frankfurt after UK votes to leave EU | Business News | News | The Independent
AnneBoleyn

Brexit

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Was up late last night watching BBC news. Was the wee early hours your time, yet all the BBC folks were as awake & bright as if it were midday. Fascinating to watch the break down of the vote. The coverage was excellent, serious & non hysterical as opposed to USA news. Very impressed with the coverage, the graphics were so clear & easy to read. Heard Nigel Farage speak for the first time.

Today, & late last night all American news was Brexit related. The pound down so low even *I* can afford to visit. Just joking, or am I?

This post is has no opinion on the decision; that was yours alone to make. It is about kudos to BBC news.
Saint_

Brexit

Post by Saint_ »

AnneBoleyn;1497596 wrote: The coverage was excellent, serious & non hysterical as opposed to USA news.

In their defense, silly and hysterical is the kind of news coverage that Americans like. So actually, our news stations got it right for us...
Bruv

Brexit

Post by Bruv »

Bryn Mawr;1497593 wrote: If Farage is involved in it (and after this result the next general election might just see that) then as near as damnit is to swearing.

Farage is an elected MEP, and leader of UKIP, how on earth can he become involved ?

And if he did, exactly as I said about the Tories, a tad further right than I would like but.....but.... but.... fascist ?

Return to “General Chit Chat”