The Friendly Cafe - Open for chinwaggin'

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
LarsMac

The Friendly Café - Open for chinwaggin'

Post by LarsMac »

cars;1524403 wrote: The Enter key is what I was usimg before trying the back arrow key, neither worked!

On you Settings page under General Settings, at the bottom you'll find:

Miscellaneous Options

Message Editor Interface:

Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing

Basic Editor - A simple text box

Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls

Which editor are you using?

And what are you using to connect?

Smart phone, PC, Tablet?

OS?
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
cars

Post by cars »

LarsMac;1524418 wrote: On you Settings page under General Settings, at the bottom you'll find:

Miscellaneous Options

Message Editor Interface:

Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing

Basic Editor - A simple text box

Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls

Which editor are you using?

And what are you using to connect?

Smart phone, PC, Tablet?

OS?

My Miscellaneous Options are existing, just as you have stated. Connecting Using Desk Top screen with Hard Drive AOL/Chrome editor It's mystery Thanks for you input.
Cars :)
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

cars;1524424 wrote: My Miscellaneous Options are existing, just as you have stated. Connecting Using Desk Top screen with Hard Drive AOL/Chrome editor It's mystery Thanks for you input.

interesting.

I've tried it with several different browsers, but all on Win10 and Win7.

Sorry I'm not more help.
- DH Lawrence
cars

Post by cars »

LarsMac;1524428 wrote: interesting.

I've tried it with several different browsers, but all on Win10 and Win7.

Sorry I'm not more help.

Thank you for trying, much appreciated.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I've always had to use the option (without the spaces, of course).
cars

Post by cars »

test again test test test test PRESSED the ENTER on the far right of keyboard, this time, it still didn't work That's it I'm through trying.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Sorry to hear that, Cars. I wonder if spot can help ?
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I've just tried to play in the arcade on FG, but a jigsaw sign comes up and I'm instructed that my Adobe Flash Player is blocked ! Can some kind person tell me how to unblock Adobe Flash Player?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

depends on the browser you use.

look in the "Settings" of your browser.

Adobe Flash is falling out of favor because it is too easy to hack and is a big security hole for most browsers
- DH Lawrence
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

LarsMac;1524562 wrote: depends on the browser you use.

look in the "Settings" of your browser.

Adobe Flash is falling out of favor because it is too easy to hack and is a big security hole for most browsers

In which case, Lars, what is the point in having a section for 'Arcade' which will not function without you using Adobe Flash Player ? Strikes me it's all a load of rubbish, and perhaps the arcade games should be adapted to not need Adobe Flash Player ! Or is that going to be undo-able ? I'm not sure how other members manage to get into the arcade unless they use an iffy browser. I'd rather not run the risk. I'll not bother with 'Arcade' again. Pity, really, because I quite enjoyed playing some of the games - chilling out.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Hiya Anne, good to see you about. Hope you're OK, and Smaug sends his regards !
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

G#Gill;1524567 wrote: In which case, Lars, what is the point in having a section for 'Arcade' which will not function without you using Adobe Flash Player ? Strikes me it's all a load of rubbish, and perhaps the arcade games should be adapted to not need Adobe Flash Player ! Or is that going to be undo-able ? I'm not sure how other members manage to get into the arcade unless they use an iffy browser. I'd rather not run the risk. I'll not bother with 'Arcade' again. Pity, really, because I quite enjoyed playing some of the games - chilling out.

I'll leave it to Spot to get into the details, but the arcade is providing links to game servers, I think.

The games are getting pretty old.

It's the browsers that are changing, and the game providers are going to have to change with the times
- DH Lawrence
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Thanks for the reply, Lars, I suppose I'll just have to be patient if I want to go in the arcade, I'm not sure how some of the others manage to get in there easily. Perhaps they aren't on Chrome like me ?
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

G#Gill;1524598 wrote: Thanks for the reply, Lars, I suppose I'll just have to be patient if I want to go in the arcade, I'm not sure how some of the others manage to get in there easily. Perhaps they aren't on Chrome like me ?
That might be a problem, Gill. Rules are rules and they don't allow minors I am sure.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I'll have you know Mr. HT that I have never been down a pit nor will I ever, well not willingly anyway. LOL

Hey it's good to see you make a rare appearance on FG, I hope your family is OK and your bonsai forest is thriving. I also trust that any hassles with regard to immigrants have been minimised, and that life is a little more peaceful.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

if you want Flash on Chrome, click on Settings at the top left of the browser, (three dots)

Then,

On the left column, there is a line that says Advanced.

When you select that, you will get more menu options in that column.

Select Privacy and Security

in the middle of the screen you should see, under Privacy and security, "Site Settings"

When you select that, one option will be Flash.

Select that.

You will have some options there. I recommend "Ask first" and then further down you will see "Allow"

You can the select FG site to allow Flash.

I recommend going with the defaults, other that to allow Flash on the site.

You will get a somewhat annoying message when you open Chrome, telling you that Flash support will be going away in 2020.
- DH Lawrence
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

LarsMac;1525863 wrote: if you want Flash on Chrome, click on Settings at the top left of the browser, (three dots)

Then,

On the left column, there is a line that says Advanced.

When you select that, you will get more menu options in that column.

Select Privacy and Security

in the middle of the screen you should see, under Privacy and security, "Site Settings"

When you select that, one option will be Flash.

Select that.

You will have some options there. I recommend "Ask first" and then further down you will see "Allow"

You can the select FG site to allow Flash.

I recommend going with the defaults, other that to allow Flash on the site.

You will get a somewhat annoying message when you open Chrome, telling you that Flash support will be going away in 2020.

Thanks very much for the help and info Lars x
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

G#Gill;1525836 wrote: I'll have you know Mr. HT that I have never been down a pit nor will I ever, well not willingly anyway. LOL
I just had a mad dash to the dictionery to check my speling. You had me going, you did. Naughty girl!

G#Gill;1525836 wrote: Hey it's good to see you make a rare appearance on FG, I hope your family is OK and your bonsai forest is thriving. I also trust that any hassles with regard to immigrants have been minimised, and that life is a little more peaceful.
We are alright, thank you, as I trust you and your family are as well. My newly-implanted pace-maker is settling in nicely and the stitching holding my knee replacement will be removed the next coming Thursday. The bonsai that continue to survive get better with each passing year and the ones that have perished we don't want to talk about. I'm not sure about our 'problem' with immigration (if I am still allowed to call it that without being punished) is any better. The passport-check coming over from Denmark seems to have been removed but I don't know if that is a sign of stability or proof that we have given full reign to the verminous onslaught. We are not hearing very much on Britain's immigration situation but I see that Brexit is dragging its' feet. What say you?
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I am heartily fed up with the word "Brexit". Our Government has really messed up big time. Not really surprised as most of them are self-seeking gravy train travellers. I cannot think of ANY person male or female, who would make a half decent stab at being Prime Minister in the UK. Heaven knows what will become of this country if a decent leader cannot be found. There has been talk of installing Ken Clarke (the oldest member of the House of Commons ). Actually if this happened (he is a Tory) I would imagine many people in the country would be a little relieved. He is a very well learned politician.

Anyway, we seem to be the destination of boat loads of immigrants. Some boats have been sunk, probably over-loaded and badly maintained and quite a few immigrants have lost their lives in the Channel.

I hope you recover well from your knee operation and I'm shocked to hear that you have had to have a heart pacemaker. Do take care of yourself, and take care of your dear wife and son.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

G#Gill;1526186 wrote: I am heartily fed up with the word "Brexit". Our Government has really messed up big time. Not really surprised as most of them are self-seeking gravy train travellers. I cannot think of ANY person male or female, who would make a half decent stab at being Prime Minister in the UK. Heaven knows what will become of this country if a decent leader cannot be found. There has been talk of installing Ken Clarke (the oldest member of the House of Commons ). Actually if this happened (he is a Tory) I would imagine many people in the country would be a little relieved. He is a very well learned politician.

Anyway, we seem to be the destination of boat loads of immigrants. Some boats have been sunk, probably over-loaded and badly maintained and quite a few immigrants have lost their lives in the Channel.

I hope you recover well from your knee operation and I'm shocked to hear that you have had to have a heart pacemaker. Do take care of yourself, and take care of your dear wife and son.

Don't worry, I was fed up with the term ”millennium” but its usage finally lost popularity and is now all but dead. It looks as though the level of intelligence of leading politicians has dropped drastically right round the globe. We seem to be following the American trend. What stuns me is (in distinct dissimilarity to the American model) that our politicians - Britain and Sweden – have attained a high level of education. What hurdles of digression they must have been obliged to vault in order to become such practising idiots.

The latest news over here is that Denmark has had a nose-full of ”new Swedes” coming over and committing acts of terrorism and are very soon (if not already in effect) setting up a border control. You may know that foreigners married to Danish citizens do not have a right to reside in Denmark so that Sweden, particularly here in Malmö, is chock-a-block with such couples who live here but commute to Denmark (Copenhagen) to work every day. It'll be interesting to see how border control is going to affect their lives.

My knee is coming along …. very slowly ….. but I hardly give the pace maker a thought except for the scar in the mirror. I think it's my wife and son who are taking care of me more than the other way round!

I hope all is well with you and your family. How have you ben getting on with your sea-side neighbours lately?
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Yes our family is OK thanks. However, I've had to have my laptop totally cleaned because I've had an attempt at hacking my account ....... see account below !

Internet Fraud attempt. Fri. 25 Oct.2019

My landline rang, I answered and an Asian woman started to speak to me about how BT had traced a hacker trying to invade my account. I thought ‘well done BT’ and listened further. She said she wanted to hand me over to an agent attached to the National Crime Agency where they had devised a plan to ‘trap’ this particular hacker. First, she asked me to click on to a certain website which would enable the NCA to explain more clearly what they had planned, using me as part of their plan.

When I did this, I realised that they had total control of my laptop (remote access), but they continued and I was connected to a person who introduced himself as David and that he was an NCA agent. He gave me his ‘badge number’ and a phone number to ring to check him out. I was gobsmacked to see they had my internet bank statement on the screen. On it they inserted £2,000 over and above my existing total balance. I was told that NCA had used 250 bit-encryption (or something similar) which was the encryption used by governments so that my bank would not be able to see this addition to my account. Apparently this was in case there was a ‘mole’ at the bank who would be able to see what was being done and warn the perpetrators.

The plan was for me to go to my bank and physically draw out £1,900 (the other £100 was for my expenses etc.) take it to an address which they gave me, not far from my bank, and an address in India was also to be included on the package with the money. At this point I asked to have an hour to discuss this with my husband. They said they would ring back in half an hour, because any longer and the bank could be closed. (it was a Friday and they weren’t sure about Saturday opening).

In the meantime, I did discuss this with my OH and together we decided that it was very ‘iffy’. I decided to ring my bank and put a stop on all outgoings (except my DDs), which they did straight away. Yes they did ring back in half an hour – I was on the phone to my bank at the time and they rang my mobile number (I kept switching it off each time it rang, they tried 6 times), then to my horror (I’d still got my laptop on) I saw pictures of me ‘live’ on Skype ! I immediately switched off my laptop. For pity’s sake they had EVERYTHING – all my contacts on the internet, how many times I blew my nose etc. I was very upset about this revelation – nothing was sacred, there was no privacy whatsoever. This, of course, is likely to happen to everybody who has a PC. Make no mistake. These people are very clever and it isn’t confined to the criminal element of the world either. Secret Service departments have such abilities, so really we have to content ourselves with the fact that there is no such thing, any more, called privacy !

The police were involved (after I reported the incident to the ‘Fraud Dept’), and I had straight away called my bank to stop all outgoing transaction demands. I’m really shaken up that I almost lost a load of money. I have had my laptop completely cleaned – even better than taking it back to ‘factory specs’. I have also had all my security details changed at the bank. Unfortunately I have lost one or two saved items, but that is not so bad as loosing all my online banking money. I’ve had to change loads of codes, passwords etc. I don’t think I shall be caught out again.

They were so very confident and knowledgeable and they answered any of my questions instantly and with expert ease, so because of their seemingly straight forward demeanour I allowed them to invite me as part of their ‘trap’. First her, then she passed me through to a male who she said was an agent for the National Crime Agency. He insisted that he was an agent from the National Crime Agency, the people who had organised this ‘trap’. He gave me his ID number and gave me a phone number (which I have never rung and which the police have since advised strongly not ring at all ).

The man said they needed to control my laptop so they could show me how they proposed to extend their ‘trap’.

I was shocked to see them display my bank statement, then £2,000 was added to my balance. I was told that the bank would not be able to see this because the NCA had introduced 260-bit encryption which was the same as governments use ! So the bank would be unaware, totally, of any such activities. This was to make sure that if there was a ‘mole’ in my bank, they would not be pre-warned of the NCA ‘trap’. Well it did seem plausible at the time. The whole of this phone call lasted for over 3 hours !

The police are most interested and chuffed that I managed to write as much information as I did (displayed phone numbers particularly interested them) also the ‘shop’ I was supposed to take £1,900 out of my account (which they had shown me they had put £2000 into my account to cover this amount). Also the ID and destination of the money to New Delhi, India.

The only disappointment to the police was that I had rushed my laptop to get it cleaned asap. I did ring the shop to ask how far the cleaning had gone and was told that he had cleaned most of it. This meant that the police could not access my laptop to see what other evidence they could find, as most of it had been wiped clean.

After the fraud attempt, I took my laptop to my lovely tame IT engineer, who was most concerned. Not for the laptop but for me ! Bless him. He, John, and the owner, Rob, were fussing around me and were very concerned that I wasn't badly affected by that nasty 'attack' on me. John cleaned my laptop right back to beyond factory specs and made sure that there were no nasties installed. He managed to save my photos, my documents, my downloads, but didn't save my store of emails. I am now using my laptop again, since Thursday, and am finding it very awkward getting back my 'favourite' regular interests like Forum Garden, and Microsoft refuse to recognise my password and even though I have asked for a new password, it's still a flippin' brick wall for some reason. I have lost all my listed 'favourites' so I shall have to redo that over time.

I sit here and I wonder why I am still bothering with the internet. These blasted criminals (seem mostly to come from East Asia !) will always find another way around if they realise that their nastiness has been discovered.

The police were most interested in this incident and were very grateful for all my 'jottings' during the phone call. I was told that other 'victims' were not as 'switched on' as I was. They were chuffed that I had recorded a phone number and an address as well as the address that I was supposed to take £2,000 to (as part of this 'trap' to catch the hackers who had been attacking my account) and also other details like so-called ID numbers within the bogus National Crime Agency.

I do know one thing, though, I will refuse to speak to any Asian callers from now on, and I shall tell them why. The original caller, a woman, was Asian and I wasn't suspicious with her having an Asian accent, because I know that BT do have customer services out in India. After a while she passed me over to a man (also Asian) who seemed very knowledgeable IT wise. It was he who explained about the plan to catch those 'hackers'. Oh it was all so plausible and I feel so damn stupid falling for such a nasty 'con' when I'm supposed to be so 'switched on'. Still, I've learned a lesson alright and I'm so relieved that they didn't actually steal £2000 from me. The only comfort I get from this whole thing is that they spent over 3 hours trying to fix up this scam, and it failed- they got nothing.

So maybe I won't be involved with the internet as much as I used to be. It is such a shame, as the internet is a wonderful thing. If you have a question about anything, the answer will be on the internet somewhere! If you are living alone or are infirm for some reason, then there are loads of social networks that one can frequent and no doubt make a few friends. The internet is company and the internet is a source of encyclopaedic knowledge. Why is there a preponderance of nare-do-wells who have only two wishes in life – to make money and to destroy honest, ordinary people ?
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

G#Gill;1527145 wrote: ..... I've had to have my laptop totally cleaned because I've had an attempt at hacking my account ....... see account below !

Internet Fraud attempt. Fri. 25 Oct.2019 .......

Oh dear! I am VERY sorry to hear of your troubles but I am surprised you haven't been exposed before now. I finally disconnected my landline about a year ago because of it. Up until then, I was getting similar calls (from east Indians) claiming they were from Microsoft and that they had detected a virus in my computer and that they were ringing to help sort it out for me.

" - turn on the computer – click on this – write that – go to the right of the screen and click on this" – etc. I nearly got caught out the first time it happened but when they insisted I ignore the warning thingy (“Don't worry, it'll be safe”) and just to carry on doing what they told me to do ….. it didn't smell good to me so I rang off. They were ringing me every fortnight it seemed and so encouraged by some YouTube fraud-busters I began stringing them on by playing stupid just to try their patience and eventually insulting the callers and slandering them with full anger and disgust for them. Being the lady I know you to be I won't repeat some of the things I said to them. Anyway, I disconnected my landline service and that was the end of it.

If you want to feel good again I suggest you listen to at least one of the performances of “Scam Bait Central” (calling himself "Mr Pricky") who destroys Nigerian scammers by the ton. The videos are normally long and drawn-out so you can't really listen to many of them but it's great fun if you are upset and just want to get back at the blighters. Here's one example to give you an idea of his work. In this one “Mr Pricky” (the intended victim) invents a Nigerian scammer of his own in order to make the real scammer think he's being cheated out of the spoils by a competitor.

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Just to change the subject for a wee moment............... and not in the slightest degree 'lighter'.

My Abdominal Aorta Aneurysm and me !

We're slowly tramping along in life, as we get older, we get more decrepit ! I recently found out that I have an Abdominal Aorta Aneurysm, which is a charming thought. I had gone to the docs to try to find out why I was loosing so much weight (not that I minded that much, as I was overweight), and while they were testing various things body-wise, they discovered this aneurysm ! I have been to the huge hospital in Nottingham called the Queens Medical Centre (it has the busiest A & E department in the country apparently !). They have done loads of tests, and ultrasound, x-rays etc. and yesterday (4 March 2020) I had to go in for a further appointment with a chief surgeon (consultant) to discuss the findings. With all this coronavirus stuff cavorting around the world, I had mixed feelings concerning any activity regarding my wonderful aneurysm!

I was informed that, as I had COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease - caused by lifelong smoking which I gave up 11 years ago), it could be risky to anaesthetise me for any operation - apparently I was, in their opinion, well below the threshold for surgery with a measurement of 5.1 cm, the size of the aneurysm, so they would advise waiting for a while and check me over in 6 months time. They also mentioned my age, which of course could be against a successful operation. This, of course, helped my confidence no end ! I started to think that it was a scheme to get rid of all the old fogies, and save hospital (NHS) funds for the younger element of society who would have more use for medical attention !

Oh well, I suppose I shall have to wait for 6 months and then, maybe, a decision will be made, according to whether the aneurysm has got bigger or not. I just hope that it doesn't get so big that there will not be enough room above the aneurysm to fix a clamp to allow a temporary by-pass while they fix a stent to strengthen the aorta. The other iffy side is that it could grow large enough to burst - then, for me, it's curtains and the opportunity to re-acquaint myself with all my passed relatives and, of course all my lovely dogs ! But it will be so sad to leave my dear OH and my dear son. Oh it is such fascinating stuff innit ?

Anyway, that is my story so far just to keep you in the picture.

By the way, I can't emphasise anything that I type in my posts. Why is there such a problem? It never used to be like this !!! (Gill sticks her tongue out and rolls her eyes)
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

G#Gill;1531106 wrote: Just to change the subject for a wee moment............... and not in the slightest degree 'lighter'.

We're slowly tramping along in life, as we get older, we get more decrepit ! I recently found out that I have an Abdominal Aorta Aneurysm, which is a charming thought. I had gone to the docs to try to find out why I was loosing so much weight (not that I minded that much, as I was overweight), and while they were testing various things body-wise, they discovered this aneurysm ! I have been to the huge hospital in Nottingham called the Queens Medical Centre (it has the busiest A & E department in the country apparently !). They have done loads of tests, and ultrasound, x-rays etc. and yesterday (4 March 2020) I had to go in for a further appointment with a chief surgeon (consultant) to discuss the findings. With all this coronavirus stuff cavorting around the world, I had mixed feelings concerning any activity regarding my wonderful aneurysm!

I was informed that, as I had COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease - caused by lifelong smoking which I gave up 11 years ago), it could be risky to anaesthetise me for any operation - apparently I was, in their opinion, well below the threshold for surgery with a measurement of 5.1 cm, the size of the aneurysm, so they would advise waiting for a while and check me over in 6 months time. They also mentioned my age, which of course could be against a successful operation. This, of course, helped my confidence no end ! I started to think that it was a scheme to get rid of all the old fogies, and save hospital (NHS) funds for the younger element of society who would have more use for medical attention !

Oh well, I suppose I shall have to wait for 6 months and then, maybe, a decision will be made, according to whether the aneurysm has got bigger or not. I just hope that it doesn't get so big that there will not be enough room above the aneurysm to fix a clamp to allow a temporary by-pass while they fix a stent to strengthen the aorta. The other iffy side is that it could grow large enough to burst - then, for me, it's curtains and the opportunity to re-acquaint myself with all my passed relatives and, of course all my lovely dogs ! But it will be so sad to leave my dear OH and my dear son. Oh it is such fascinating stuff innit ?

By the way, I can't emphasise anything that I type in my posts. Why is there such a problem? It never used to be like this !!! (Gill sticks her tongue out and rolls her eyes)
Yes, as I understand it, it isn't necessarily the aneurysm itself but its' rate of growth, if any. According to one source …. https://www.medtronic.com/us-en/patient ... urysm.html ….. “While an abdominal aortic aneurysm can be fatal if it ruptures, the good news is that there’s an effective treatment to prevent that from happening”. It does seem to be rather an enigma however as the link also says the risk factor is greater for “individuals over 50” and I'm sure you told me you're not a day over 35.

I suppose you've heard the news, eh? Italy (the whole chaotic nation) been has been shut down. I will be celebrating my 73rd at the end of this month quietly and quite alone in Cologne but I can already hear the warning and shut down of Germany even before I go. I guess worse would be left there stranded and not be allowed to return home. On the other hand German cuisine is superior to Sweden's so it could turn out to be a right lark!

By your way, I've heard that the discontinued type-emphasise on the forum is a Russian plot to create communicative confusion in the west prior to a planned, full-out invasion by the Ruskies. Whether it be the Russians or the Coronas those who laughed at me for saving a full-laden pallet of tinned corned beef from the last war won't be laughing when they come pounding on my door for favours. Any day now!
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

High Threshold;1531250 wrote: Yes, as I understand it, it isn't necessarily the aneurysm itself but its' rate of growth, if any. According to one source …. https://www.medtronic.com/us-en/patient ... urysm.html ….. “While an abdominal aortic aneurysm can be fatal if it ruptures, the good news is that there’s an effective treatment to prevent that from happening”. It does seem to be rather an enigma however as the link also says the risk factor is greater for “individuals over 50” and I'm sure you told me you're not a day over 35.

I suppose you've heard the news, eh? Italy (the whole chaotic nation) been has been shut down. I will be celebrating my 73rd at the end of this month quietly and quite alone in Cologne but I can already hear the warning and shut down of Germany even before I go. I guess worse would be left there stranded and not be allowed to return home. On the other hand German cuisine is superior to Sweden's so it could turn out to be a right lark!

By your way, I've heard that the discontinued type-emphasise on the forum is a Russian plot to create communicative confusion in the west prior to a planned, full-out invasion by the Ruskies. Whether it be the Russians or the Coronas those who laughed at me for saving a full-laden pallet of tinned corned beef from the last war won't be laughing when they come pounding on my door for favours. Any day now!

Gilly - My Mother had an AAA her whole life. It was still going strong when she passed from a completely unrelated issue.

HT - Well, I can think of worse place to be stranded than Cologne.

I wish you a happy birthday.

I ended up cancelling our plans for a trip to Vienna for the New Year. There were far too many non-refundable costs involved in the planning, and the Mrs decided that a winter crossing may not be something she would truly enjoy.

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate Auto-correct?
- DH Lawrence
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

G#Gill;1531106 wrote: Just to change the subject for a wee moment............... and not in the slightest degree 'lighter'.

Hi Gill! OMG it's been such a long time! I hope and pray that they will get you all fixed up very soon.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Hi Hope, so good to see you. Hope life is being kind for you.

Not sure how USA is with this Coronavirus bug. Seems that Mother Nature has decided to reduce our humanity, because we are incapable of using condoms etc. and there are too many humans for the food that they can produce ! I wonder where it will all end up.

We hear various reports about USA and how Trump is stupidly thinking of lifting the 'Lock Down'. I'm afraid that man is not right in the head. If the lock down is lifted, then it is fairly certain that Coronovirus will return with a vengeance. Then where will his precious economy be - down the sewage pipes, and there will be thousands of thousands more deaths ! What is the point of having a recovered economy when there are no people to buy things or to use facilities that are then available ? Insanity.

You know, there is one regret I have - that my garden is pocket handkerchief size and I have no allotment in order to grow my own veg. !!!!
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

G#Gill;1532307 wrote: Hi Hope, so good to see you. Hope life is being kind for you.

And you as well!

Not sure how USA is with this Coronavirus bug. Seems that Mother Nature has decided to reduce our humanity, because we are incapable of using condoms etc. and there are too many humans for the food that they can produce ! I wonder where it will all end up.

Didn't you just give it away? Spoiler alert!

We hear various reports about USA and how Trump is stupidly thinking of lifting the 'Lock Down'. I'm afraid that man is not right in the head.

Seriously! (I'm not too political. But I am scientific!)

If the lock down is lifted, then it is fairly certain that Coronovirus will return with a vengeance. Then where will his precious economy be - down the sewage pipes, and there will be thousands of thousands more deaths !

Wellll... Why not let him just have a rally? It's called "Natural Selection."

You know, there is one regret I have - that my garden is pocket handkerchief size and I have no allotment in order to grow my own veg. !!!!

Huh? What are you talking about?

1. Who would know? Or care?

2. Things grow. How is that your fault?

3. Use the extra bedroom. (That's what all the marijuana growers used to do!)

4. You have to have an "allotment?" To grow your own food? That's the craziest thing I ever heard...
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

If anyone is hanging out with Julio down by the schoolyard, stay away from Rosie...she's the Queen of Corona.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Saint - LOL LOL LOL LOL.

I do wish the smilies could be reinstated. Bryn, PLEASE !!!! I have difficulty expressing myself without those blessed smilies. Yes I know spot don't like 'em, but when he spells our English language correctly, then I MAY even accept his opinion concerning smilies.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

G#Gill;1532307 wrote: Hi Hope, so good to see you. Hope life is being kind for you.

We hear various reports about USA and how Trump is stupidly thinking of lifting the 'Lock Down'. I'm afraid that man is not right in the head. If the lock down is lifted, then it is fairly certain that Coronovirus will return with a vengeance. Then where will his precious economy be - down the sewage pipes, and there will be thousands of thousands more deaths ! What is the point of having a recovered economy when there are no people to buy things or to use facilities that are then available ? Insanity.

Hi Gill yes we're doing good. This is certainly one time when I'm glad to be living out in the sticks here on the farm LOL I've been very busy until this whole virus thing hit. Taking care of the farm duties which still have to be done also I became full time care-giver to my mother-in-law almost 2 years ago, she lives with us. We have a very large garden every year, that's nothing new.

I've also embarked on a adventure that I never expected! my son expressed an interest in acting so we took the chance of auditioning at the local community theater. That was 5 years ago. We were in rehearsals for what will be our 13th play there when the virus hit so it had to be postponed.

I hope you are doing well?
G#Gill

Re: The Friendly Café - Open for chinwaggin'

Post by G#Gill »

Well I'm still around ! I still can't locate ZAP (Mary) from Imperial, California, so I've no idea whether she is still alive or not. Last I heard was that she was off galivanting around America visiting relatives and friends, and that was in 2018 !!! I do know that she had a daughter living as a neighbour next door to her, but I don't have an address that I could maybe get in touch through her daughter. Oh well I still send emails to Mary, so maybe somebody may check Mary's PC and send a reply to me. It's so frustrating the 'not knowing'.

Anyway, we are managing with this dreadful virus invasion. We have our main shopping delivered by Tesco and some delivered by Morrisons, then if there are any odds and ends and I need a top-up with milk etc. my willing nephew (he lives a couple of streets from us) fetches stuff at the weekends. I haven't ventured from our house now for around 14 weeks, except for a couple of visits, one to a consultant at the hospital and a visit to our doc's surgery to have another blood sample taken. These are to do with my flamin' thyroid being silly. However it seems that it is settling down quite well, thank goodness. Although, having said that, it did cause me to loose quite a bit of weight, so I was quite happy about that. Mind you, with it sorting itself out, I am putting a little weight back on ! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. There's just no winning sometimes LOL. I'll just have to cut down on my chocolate intake won't I ?

Not sure about taking our usual Norfolk summer holiday. Wells gets very busy and people crowd into the town and on the beach, and not many of them seem to have any sense about 'social distancing', and I just cannot run the risk of somebody passing the bug on to me - with my COPD and that blessed aneurism ! That is of course if the caravan park is open ( we normally hire one of the lodges ).

I do hope everybody is managing to put up with isolation and distancing. I growl in disgust at how so many people don't seem to respect guidelines or think about potential dangers of mixing normally with other people. There seems to be a preponderance of selfish, thoughtless idiots. I shall stay at home as much as I can till there is no more Conovid 19.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

G#Gill wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:41 pm Well I'm still around ! I still can't locate ZAP (Mary) from Imperial, California, so I've no idea whether she is still alive or not. Last I heard was that she was off galivanting around America visiting relatives and friends, and that was in 2018 !!! I do know that she had a daughter living as a neighbour next door to her, but I don't have an address that I could maybe get in touch through her daughter. Oh well I still send emails to Mary, so maybe somebody may check Mary's PC and send a reply to me. It's so frustrating the 'not knowing'.

Anyway, we are managing with this dreadful virus invasion. We have our main shopping delivered by Tesco and some delivered by Morrisons, then if there are any odds and ends and I need a top-up with milk etc. my willing nephew (he lives a couple of streets from us) fetches stuff at the weekends. I haven't ventured from our house now for around 14 weeks, except for a couple of visits, one to a consultant at the hospital and a visit to our doc's surgery to have another blood sample taken. These are to do with my flamin' thyroid being silly. However it seems that it is settling down quite well, thank goodness. Although, having said that, it did cause me to loose quite a bit of weight, so I was quite happy about that. Mind you, with it sorting itself out, I am putting a little weight back on ! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. There's just no winning sometimes LOL. I'll just have to cut down on my chocolate intake won't I ?

Not sure about taking our usual Norfolk summer holiday. Wells gets very busy and people crowd into the town and on the beach, and not many of them seem to have any sense about 'social distancing', and I just cannot run the risk of somebody passing the bug on to me - with my COPD and that blessed aneurism ! That is of course if the caravan park is open ( we normally hire one of the lodges ).

Sounds like you're going through the wars gilly. Things will look better in time, I'm sure of it. I understand what you mean by the "idiots" . I'm considered an essential service so I'm out and about. I can't even go into a bakery without someone standing right beside me. We're seeing another spike in cases so obviously people aren't doing the right thing.

I have to lose weight for an op at the end of the year. 12 kg's all up and more if I can do it. So what starts happening? I begin putting on weight......go figure.

I do hope everybody is managing to put up with isolation and distancing. I growl in disgust at how so many people don't seem to respect guidelines or think about potential dangers of mixing normally with other people. There seems to be a preponderance of selfish, thoughtless idiots. I shall stay at home as much as I can till there is no more Conovid 19.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

It's good to hear from you Gill.
- DH Lawrence
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Hi everybody, I hope you are all managing during this terrible coronovirus. We haven't ventured our since beginning of March, except for a visit for a consultation at the QMC Hospital in Nottingham, and one follow-up blood test for my thyroid problem at my doc's surgery. I organised some long time ago to have our grocery main weekly shopping delivered by Tesco and Morrisons, and any odds and ends are got over the weekends by my nephew Richard who lives a couple of streets away from us. Seems to be working quite well ! Not had any problems so far thank goodness. Just so important for me to stay at home, as I'm subject to COPD and an aorta aneurism. Just cannot afford to risk catching that terrible virus - it could kill me ! :roll: :shock: :(
cars

Post by cars »

Hi Gill, good to see you, glad things are going your way! :) That nasty virus has messed up all our lives! C'mon vaccine, hopefully that will be our saviour! (Along with JC)
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

The only way that Covid has really had any detrimental effect on my life is how it has affected the Choir. This year was to have been the Choir's 50th Anniversary, and the Title Track was to have been my arrangement of "Gold" (with permission from Gary Kemp).

Still it's not been a total loss. We have put together a Virtual Choir version of "All I Ask Of You". We also have a version of "You Raise Me Up" in the pipeline.

LarsMac

Re: The Friendly Cafe - Open for chinwaggin'

Post by LarsMac »

Very nice.
- DH Lawrence
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Hi all, Hey Fourpart that was a bit of alright !! Well done !!

Well it looks as if Biden has managed to oust Trump from the White House. I'm afraid that from what I have read and heard, that man Trump is just a tad dishonest to say the least. It seems that he could be an undisclosed bankrupt as well. Not sure how he can say that he is still President under such circumstances, and that is not including the election count ! It seems that the man just doesn't care about stuff as he is spending his days on the golf course at the miment. It would be interesting to find out what evidence Trump has concerning his accusations of Biden followers cheating over the voting ! I can't stand poor loosers.

I hope you are all reasonably well, considering this very nasty Covid 19. The students in the UK are really not helping matters, in fact I believe that they are causing this pandemic to spread more and more. They seem so immature, wanting to party all the time, regardless of other people being put at risk. Such a selfish and irresponsible attitude from a lot of them. The University Authorities should just sack the lot of the ne'er do wells, send the buggers back home. They obviously haven't come to University to do any work so they should be kicked out ! They are an absolute disgrace and are behaving so shamefully putting, particularly the elderly, peoples' lives at risk. They should stop and wonder how they would feel if their grandparents were affected by Conovid 19. Dangerous prats.
spot

Post by spot »

G#Gill wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:13 amThey seem so immature, wanting to party all the time, regardless of other people being put at risk.
I have always thanked Providence that I was never so antisocial as to imbibe strong drink or stay up late during my student days (nor since, I might add). I didn't get where I am today by wearing shirts covered in slogans and repetitiously chanting outside the Senior Common Room. Due regard for what's what, that's the way to do it. As for this Trump Virus, I'll be happy to see the back of it. Shocking lack of aircraft recently, my priority air-miles will expire unused at this rate. Travel insurers must be rolling in the hay by now.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

spot wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:23 am
G#Gill wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:13 amThey seem so immature, wanting to party all the time, regardless of other people being put at risk.
I have always thanked Providence that I was never so antisocial as to imbibe strong drink or stay up late during my student days (nor since, I might add). I didn't get where I am today by wearing shirts covered in slogans and repetitiously chanting outside the Senior Common Room. Due regard for what's what, that's the way to do it. As for this Trump Virus, I'll be happy to see the back of it. Shocking lack of aircraft recently, my priority air-miles will expire unused at this rate. Travel insurers must be rolling in the hay by now.

Hi there Mr. spot ! I'm so glad that you used your University time in the manner it was intended, Much better than becoming an arogant yob eh?

I'm surprised that you seem to be in favour of the severe polution in the skies by patronising airflight ! Mind you I'm not sure what would replace air travel that was more eco friendly than commercial airflight !

Glad to see you're still around, Mr. spot ! Take care everybody.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Hi ya, Gill!

Hope all is well with you.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

G#Gill wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:13 am Hi all, Hey Fourpart that was a bit of alright !! Well done !!
We're currently putting together a Virtual Christmas Concert.

I think there must be lots of choirs around the world on the lookout for simple pieces to do Virtual Performances with, as my arrangement of Maroon 5's "Memories" sold with 1 day of it going live, and have sold 6 more since then, in just 2 weeks.
spot

Post by spot »

G#Gill wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:15 am I'm not sure what would replace air travel that was more eco friendly than commercial airflight !
Whatever it is, it won't be a cruise liner. I had no particular objection to the pre-war transatlantic crossings but even there the Zeppelins had the edge.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Hi Lars Mac, yep we're coping OK at the moment. I feel grateful that I have my OH at home here as we keep each other company - haven't been out since early March. It can get a bit same-oh, same-oh, but I've got my computer and guitar and OH is busy writing his life story (I think it should have an 'X' certificate LOL). I tell a lie about going out, as I have had to go to one or two medical consultations with regard to my thyroid (which seems to be behaving itself at the moment) and my Abdominal Aorta Aneurism. I don't do 'old'. grrrrrrrrrrrr :x

I'm so glad I was able to organise a weekly grocery delivery with odds and ends obtained by my young nephew Richard at weekends, if necessary. We don't get visitors so there isn't a problem of 'bubbles' or relatives calling in. Being retired, we can go out mid-week if we wanted to, but at the moment we will not be able to travel out of our Tier 3 area into a Tier 2 area. This, of course, creates restrictions, so we just stay home and avoid any problems. We have goggles, masks, visors and surgical disposable gloves and plenty or anti-covid spray fluid, and we do a lot of squirting on anything that may be touched by tradespeople etc. both before and after any call/delivery. It's all very tedious but well worth the effort in the end, if we find that we have got through this pandemic without succumbing to Covid 19 we will have achieved our goal.

I shall definitely be glad when this is all over, and I know I am not alone with this thought. Take care everybody :)
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

G#Gill wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:23 pm Hi Lars Mac, yep we're coping OK at the moment. I feel grateful that I have my OH at home here as we keep each other company - haven't been out since early March. It can get a bit same-oh, same-oh, but I've got my computer and guitar and OH is busy writing his life story (I think it should have an 'X' certificate LOL). I tell a lie about going out, as I have had to go to one or two medical consultations with regard to my thyroid (which seems to be behaving itself at the moment) and my Abdominal Aorta Aneurism. I don't do 'old'. grrrrrrrrrrrr :x

I'm so glad I was able to organise a weekly grocery delivery with odds and ends obtained by my young nephew Richard at weekends, if necessary. We don't get visitors so there isn't a problem of 'bubbles' or relatives calling in. Being retired, we can go out mid-week if we wanted to, but at the moment we will not be able to travel out of our Tier 3 area into a Tier 2 area. This, of course, creates restrictions, so we just stay home and avoid any problems. We have goggles, masks, visors and surgical disposable gloves and plenty or anti-covid spray fluid, and we do a lot of squirting on anything that may be touched by tradespeople etc. both before and after any call/delivery. It's all very tedious but well worth the effort in the end, if we find that we have got through this pandemic without succumbing to Covid 19 we will have achieved our goal.

I shall definitely be glad when this is all over, and I know I am not alone with this thought. Take care everybody :)
We've now gone on nine days without a new case or death. It's bloody painful and we'll be wearing masks for a long time yet . When you come to the end of it, it's a very rewarding feeling. It's not very often that a population is noticably proud of itself but you can taste the victory. Unfortunetly nobody can high five each other lol.

My mum was in the same situation as yourself. I get to see her again next week. I haven't visited since late last year.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Well done Victoria ! Let's hope it continues for you there. It would be good if a similar thing happened in the UK :)

In case this was missed on the 'POTUS' thread ;) I'm afraid I can't resist posting this video - seems many folk can't stand this guy !

magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Can't see it
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I'll try to re-wotsit the video. In the meantime perhaps this one will fill the gap (if I can get it to post ! :roll: )

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bGC ... sharing
spot

Post by spot »

G#Gill wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:29 pm I'll try to re-wotsit the video. In the meantime perhaps this one will fill the gap (if I can get it to post ! :roll: )

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bGC ... sharing
Gill, the problem you have is you're using a password protected space on the Internet.

Everyone else is seeing:

You need access
Ask for access, or switch to an account with access.

The only person not seeing that is you, because you're logged in to the drive that owns the file. I'm also logged in to Google but I can't see what you uploaded. It's possible that Google Drive also offers you a public access URL for a file, and you could post that public access URL here, but the URL you're using is not going to get your file to us.

An alternative video host might be https://imgur.com/ which will allow uploads (Maximum video size 200 MB) without registration, gives a viewing link and leaves the video online for ever.

Or, if you have a YouTube account, you could upload to your YouTube channel as a public file and post the URL. That is more problematic than imgur because the YouTube URL would expose all your other public YouTube videos on that channel to anyone seeing your link.

Return to “General Chit Chat”