The Friendly Cafe - Open for chinwaggin'

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Wandrin

The Friendly Café - Open for chinwaggin'

Post by Wandrin »

AnneBoleyn;1516781 wrote: I am so envious. Damn NYState! :-5

Massachusetts is celebrating. It isn't that far away. :)
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

There is no problem getting any if I want it. My point is I want it to be LEGAL, I want to be able to go to a store and choose between multiple varieties whenever I feel like it, as it should be.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

AnneBoleyn;1516818 wrote: There is no problem getting any if I want it. My point is I want it to be LEGAL, I want to be able to go to a store and choose between multiple varieties whenever I feel like it, as it should be.

I fully understand your frustration. I could never figure out why it took California so long.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I take it you are referring to stuff that is illegal in UK ? If so, I would like to point out to anybody interested that before the war (WWII) a herb was quite legal - my father was a pharmacist and he told us this many years ago. So it was used in medicine then, so I just don't understand why it was made illegal - it's a bloody herb for pity's sake ! It has been found to be beneficial to people suffering from MS, and some such sufferers in the UK try to obtain this herb on a regular basis, at great risk from the law, I might add!

This herb can be thoroughly monitored by the authorities, if made legal again, so that people can legally benefit medicinally, growers can benefit financially, also authorities can benefit financially with taxes that would be generated !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

G#Gill;1516873 wrote: I take it you are referring to stuff that is illegal in UK ? If so, I would like to point out to anybody interested that before the war (WWII) a herb was quite legal - my father was a pharmacist and he told us this many years ago. So it was used in medicine then, so I just don't understand why it was made illegal - it's a bloody herb for pity's sake ! It has been found to be beneficial to people suffering from MS, and some such sufferers in the UK try to obtain this herb on a regular basis, at great risk from the law, I might add!

This herb can be thoroughly monitored by the authorities, if made legal again, so that people can legally benefit medicinally, growers can benefit financially, also authorities can benefit financially with taxes that would be generated !
Bear in mind that before the war Opium, Cocaine & Heroin were quite legal. You could even buy them in Gift Boxes for the Troops in Harrods. All of which have undisputed medicinal benefits when used responsibly by a physician. The same is true of Cannabis / Marijuana, with hardly any of the harmful side effects.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I'm a little concerned at the moment. In the last few weeks, on a fairly regular basis like every 3 or 4 days, I have been sent strange emails. I hasten to add that there is no way that I would open these, and in fact I have deleted them without opening them because I really do not trust that they are legit. I suspect that they could be a scam, after my identity and/or my money (not so worried about that as I ain't gorra lot ! ). I have copied, by hand, the 'title' etc. as folllows ...........

Dia - [Congra-tulations]****gillytizzy2,,*:-YOU-RE_a_WeeklYWinneR!!!

Now both those capital Rs were reversed (mirrored).

As soon as I'd copied the title I deleted it. I can't remember what the email address was that they used, as I deleted the damn thing as soon as I'd copied it, not thinking to make a note of the address that they used ! :rolleyes:

I have also wiped my 'recycle bin' so I will not be able to recall it from there. However, I'm pretty sure there will be another communication in similar form, so I will be able to get the address used as well as the title.

Has anybody else experienced this sort of communication and if so, what can I do about stopping it. Should I report it to somebody in authority ?

I am a little concerned about it, as I've no idea what it's all about - maybe it's done in that way to cause curiosity and cause somebody to click on the title and open up 'whatever' - possibly to entice somebody to part with 'cash up front' in order to gain the 'winnings', or more likely it's just a method of getting your info and identity and finally any money which you may have available if you do online banking.

I'd just like to know if anybody else has had this happen to them, and if so what they suggest to do. :yh_worry
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Well hello me !!! :wah: Hello Gill !!! :yh_tong2:yh_smiley Just to say that I got another flippin' iffy email today, so I've just deleted it after I'd had a quick peep to see what the email was. No I didn't open any links - i just looked in surprise and deleted it straight away. I just ain't interested in 'gorgeous girls' at all ! :yh_rotfl
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Well I have become the proud owner of a very nice laptop. An HP OMEN 7i (4 core), with a few TBs ! A bit of a 'kick ass' machine ! I think I shall enjoy using this particular laptop ! My other one was a Toshiba and it must have been 10 years old if it was a day, so it's no surprise to me that it was gradually breaking down. For instance I thought I had recorded all my documents and pictures on to a 32 GB memory stick. My laptop told me it had transferred everything and that the stick was full, at the end of some time transferring all my stuff to the stick. Not so, my tame techy engineer reported that the memory stick was empty ! So he had to repeat the whole process again. Just as well that it was checked, as I have got quite a lot of unrepeatable photos and documents that I wanted to save. All seems to be OK now. But when I am certain that everything is as I wanted it, I shall return my Toshiba to my techy engineer who will return it back to factory specs and thoroughly service it, so that my hubby can use it for typing up his book ready to present to publishers.

There is only one 'gripe' I have about the new laptop, and that is that it doesn't have any disk facilities. So I shall have to buy an individual disk player with a connection for my new laptop and hope that it works out OK. It is rather strange about the disk absence. This HP laptop is supposed to be slanted towards gaming, so why have they decided to exclude a disk playing facility ? Many good games come on disks after all, don't they ? :( Oh well, it is such a good 'kick ass' laptop, I'm sure I can cope with that slight discrepancy. :rolleyes: :yh_sigh
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Congrats on the laptop! You'll be surprised at the increase of speed. I had to buy a stand alone disc drive as well. They're only $30 or so. I kind of wish I had bought a blu-ray drive, though.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

G#Gill;1517611 wrote: Well I have become the proud owner of a very nice laptop. An HP OMEN 7i (4 core), with a few TBs ! A bit of a 'kick ass' machine ! I think I shall enjoy using this particular laptop ! My other one was a Toshiba and it must have been 10 years old if it was a day, so it's no surprise to me that it was gradually breaking down. For instance I thought I had recorded all my documents and pictures on to a 32 GB memory stick. My laptop told me it had transferred everything and that the stick was full, at the end of some time transferring all my stuff to the stick. Not so, my tame techy engineer reported that the memory stick was empty ! So he had to repeat the whole process again. Just as well that it was checked, as I have got quite a lot of unrepeatable photos and documents that I wanted to save. All seems to be OK now. But when I am certain that everything is as I wanted it, I shall return my Toshiba to my techy engineer who will return it back to factory specs and thoroughly service it, so that my hubby can use it for typing up his book ready to present to publishers.

There is only one 'gripe' I have about the new laptop, and that is that it doesn't have any disk facilities. So I shall have to buy an individual disk player with a connection for my new laptop and hope that it works out OK. It is rather strange about the disk absence. This HP laptop is supposed to be slanted towards gaming, so why have they decided to exclude a disk playing facility ? Many good games come on disks after all, don't they ? :( Oh well, it is such a good 'kick ass' laptop, I'm sure I can cope with that slight discrepancy. :rolleyes: :yh_sigh

They have designed out all of those extras. Makes the chassis more compact and lighter.

You can by a Blue-Ray/DVD drive that connects via USB port, though.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

On the plus side, jump drives are ridiculously cheap and large now. As are portable hard drives. I have a 64 GB jump drive on a lanyard that I carry around, and I have a 4 TB portable hard drive for backup.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Saint_;1517614 wrote: On the plus side, jump drives are ridiculously cheap and large now. As are portable hard drives. I have a 64 GB jump drive on a lanyard that I carry around, and I have a 4 TB portable hard drive for backup.

Pretty amazing the storage technology we have at our disposal, now.

I was given a 512 GB thumb drive for an activity sponsored by my employer.

I still remember when it was a big deal when the 5 1/4 inch floppies doubled in capacity to 360 KB
- DH Lawrence
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

LarsMac;1517618 wrote:

I still remember when it was a big deal when the 5 1/4 inch floppies doubled in capacity to 360 KB

Yeah...My first Mac at school was a HUGE 100 Mb. I thought, "How could anyone ever fill that much space?" Now it's just 20 digital pictures and an amount that is too small to even come on a jump drive...

Attached files
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I can remember when I bought 'The latest' kick ass pc, It was the biggest thing available at the time in the UK ! I can remember installing it in our 'office' and setting everything up before my son returned from visiting a friend - he had no idea at all that I was intending to get a PC, let alone the latest model ! When he came home, I had left the office door open, by mistake and he noticed what he thought was a corner of a TV set. Curiosity overcame him and he went to investigate. As he opened the door wider he saw this amazing PC sitting enticingly on the desk, the monitor screen to one side with a keyboard infront, and a mouse and joystick in the space beside the keyboard. His face was a study and he let out such an exclamation of delight and disbelief. I think he thought all his birthdays and Christmases had arrived all at once ! :yh_rotfl

I can't for the life of me remember the make, but I do know that it was around 512 something-or-others and had a huge memory for it's day. I had also installed a pair of very good, well balanced speakers, so he was all set up for playing video games on it.

I can remember the hours of hysterical laughter coming from me and my son as we played "Worms", I can remember my team was called 'Badass' and they had Yorkshire accents, my son's team were called 'Wyrms' and they had Scottish accents. It was a brilliant game ! But the only game that ever kept me up playing all night was a game called Sid Mieyer's Pirates - I loved that game, it was an adventure game and really addictive - brilliant fun. I wouldn't mind getting it again to play in Windows 10 on me noo HP Omen laptop ! Gawd, I think there would be no housework done by me if that happened ! :yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl Well we didn't have such wonderful stuff like computers, computer games, etc. when I was a child, so I'm only proposing to catch up on lost time !!!! It enthralls me to be able to control such lifelike people on a screen and have brilliant sound as well ! When I was a child, we had Dinky Toys and we used hard-backed books as buildings laid out on the dining room floor, and I used plastic thingies from a Chinese Checkers game that I had, as the people. I remember that the blue ones were police, the red ones were firefighters, the brown or green ones were 'baddies' and the other colours were just ordinary people ! Oh the imagination of a child ! :wah: Mind you I played for hours like that, with my two older brothers, much to my mum's relief ! :wah:
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Relieved that the weather seems to be improving. Our boiler karked on Wednesday so we were without any central heating since then. :( :yh_ooooo. I contacted several boiler repairers, but no joy as they were all pulled out of the place.

I decided to see if my nephew Richard could help us. I knew it was probably a frozen outside outlet pipe, but there was no way I was going to let my OH take kettle of boiling water after kettle of boiling water outside to defrost that pipe - he's 80 next month and is just recovering from some sort of cold/lurgy. Had I been a bit younger and a bit more flexible, I would have tried it myself, well wrapped up, of course. But I am not either, so I thought of my nephew - he only lives a few streets away from us. I suspected that he was at work, so I told him not to worry as we've managed since Wednesday any way. He came round Saturday morning and sorted it for us, and it took him about an hour all told.

Wow !!!!!!!! The relief of getting the house warmed right through, not just in one room and the kitchen.

It was quite right, that blinkin' pipe had frozen, even though it had been very well lagged ! :-5

I had switched the boiler off to save it churning away and getting nowhere. Like an eejit I turned it off at the wall instead of on the boiler itself, and that meant the timer was off too ! :rolleyes: :eek:

It meant that I had to reset the timer before Richard came round to free off the ice, otherwise the clock would be registering some time in the middle of the night and the boiler would not switch on any way ! It was a case of getting to the timer box next to the boiler and it was rather awkward to get at, cos there was a dirty great heavy old-fashioned table desk in front of the boiler grrrrrr. But by doing a bit of bending and twisting, I got to it and sorted it out. Got an iffy back though now, so can't turn or move too fluently for a couple of days. OH couldn't have done it cos he's less limber than me at that sort of thing.

Any way, we've got our central heating back, thank goodness :yh_bigsmi Richard said for us not to hesitate in calling on him again if we need help, for anything :yh_worshp :yh_clap He is a very good worker and very clever at 'doing' things, repairs to anything really. Very useful fella - he used to be a very good car mechanic, then a welder, then a bricky, then a carpenter. He has been working with a fella on building contracts of all sorts, for several years now, all over the country, so he is away some times for a few days. Mostly, though, he works at places where he can get home each night, so that is useful.

I realise just how much we rely on central heating, having been without over, probably, the coldest few days of the year. Although our halogen fires were a godsend, you just can't beat decent central heating in the cold winter. Of course we had no hot running water either :yh_sigh :yh_sad

Ere, it's lovely to be able to potter about the house without fleeces and Beanie hats on , and be able to just turn the tap on and get hot running water - yippee !! :guitarist :yh_bigsmi
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Shivering for you my friend. I moved from Pennsylvania to sunny (?) California to escape the cold and ice. I just got back from a month in wine country which had cold, rain, snow, sleet, all the things I hate...but I had my family with me so it was wonderful. And we had good heaters!

Stay warm my friend.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Thanks Zap ! Good to see you out and about, and enjoying the company of your family. I hope everybody is OK and particularly yourself - I trust you are looking after yourself and keeping safe.

Everything here is now rapidly getting back to normal, for the time of year. That very cold 'snap' was indeed VERY cold, and of course, as is typical, we have to loose our heating when we most need it :rolleyes: However, we survived (my hubby was in the scout movement for many years, so he was 'prepared' ;) ). All is working fine now.

Of course, now we aren't so desperate for heating, the flamin' weather is quite mild here, and there is no sign of any snow at all ! Some folk in the UK, though, are now suffering flooding with the melting snow, thank goodness we live halfway up a hill ! But there are power failures happening in rural and not so rural areas, so the various services are working hard to rectify that situation.

Anyway, all is now fine here with my family so you take care Mrs. Gypsy :-6 :D :driving:
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Glad to hear that you are warm and dry Gilly.

That was a pretty nasty blow you all got there.

We are having an unseasonably warm a dry winter, so far. A few cold days and a lot of temps hovering around freezing, mixed with days in the 60's (f)

We could really use some of that snow. We have had a number of wildfires due to dry, warm weather and high winds.
- DH Lawrence
Orion79

Post by Orion79 »

Happy weekend everyone !

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Well we had a heat wave, then we had torrential rain, now we've got very cold (for the time of year) and wet, showery, and windy weather. No wonder folk in the UK tend to be on the unhealthy side ! What with a lack of vitamin D and unseasonal cold blasts, it is not surprising that doctors' surgeries are full of ill people. Fortunately our doc's instruct their patients that if they feel they have a bad cold or flu symptoms then they should telephone the doc's for a 'phone consultation' and avoid mixing their germs with other people in the waiting room.

Sound advice, and not before time either.

Also do you take anti-bacterial hand wipes with you when you go to the supermarket ? You should, if only to wipe the handles of the trolleys/carts before you touch them, and also any door handles. One has no idea what a previous customer has put on that trolley handle, particularly if they went to the 'loo' and didn't wash their hands afterwards ! YUK !

Have an enjoyable day ! :wah: :p :rolleyes:

Wow, I managed to get a post successfully planted ! :yh_eyerol :yh_clap
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Hope everybody is OK. Weather is up and down ! Stabbings in the UK are on the up ! Nobody seems to know how to stop this terrible disease that is rapidly developing into a pandemic ! Well I'll tell you a simple way of sorting this nasty turn of events, which seems to be prevalent among the teens and early twenties. BRING BACK THE BIRCH !!! It is a fact that these young people try to avoid pain. They are certainly not keen on receiving physical punishment. OK all you 'spare the rod' people, you 'anti violence' brigade, you people who believe that violence as a punishment for a violent crime is not the answer, well everything else has been tried hasn't it ? Time to bring in legislation concerning corporal punishment. The birch for 17 year olds and over and the cane for 11 to 17 year olds. Apart from it being a painful lesson to young thugs, it would I'm sure be quite a deterrent to any young people who were thinking of carrying a knife. Most other things have been tried, and these young idiots are just laughing, so it's time to get flamin' tough don't you think ?

I firmly believe that if there was a referendum about bringing back corporal punishment, there would be a resounding vote for YES bring back the birch !
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

G#Gill;1519429 wrote: Hope everybody is OK. Weather is up and down ! Stabbings in the UK are on the up ! Nobody seems to know how to stop this terrible disease that is rapidly developing into a pandemic ! Well I'll tell you a simple way of sorting this nasty turn of events, which seems to be prevalent among the teens and early twenties. BRING BACK THE BIRCH !!! It is a fact that these young people try to avoid pain. They are certainly not keen on receiving physical punishment. OK all you 'spare the rod' people, you 'anti violence' brigade, you people who believe that violence as a punishment for a violent crime is not the answer, well everything else has been tried hasn't it ? Time to bring in legislation concerning corporal punishment. The birch for 17 year olds and over and the cane for 11 to 17 year olds. Apart from it being a painful lesson to young thugs, it would I'm sure be quite a deterrent to any young people who were thinking of carrying a knife. Most other things have been tried, and these young idiots are just laughing, so it's time to get flamin' tough don't you think ?

I firmly believe that if there was a referendum about bringing back corporal punishment, there would be a resounding vote for YES bring back the birch !

The first step towards a solution is to put more funding into the Police, rather than continuing to cut it. And that doesn't mean putting money into Privatised Policing companies, like G4E.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

FourPart;1519437 wrote: The first step towards a solution is to put more funding into the Police, rather than continuing to cut it. And that doesn't mean putting money into Privatised Policing companies, like G4E.

I agree with you FourPart, but the government has got to wake up to this. But at the same time introduce legislation about corporal punishment, as nothing else is able to curb this ever increasing situation with youths carrying knives - starts off as a self protection, then they use them to make out they are fit to be in a gang. Or maybe there is an element of inbuilt evil in one or two of these yobs, so the slightest excuse to brandish their knives and they don't need to be encouraged, and they certainly don't consider the devastation they cause to the innocent families of the victim.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

How many more pensioners will be damaged physically and/or mentally for the rest of their shortened lives, or even murdered ?

My husband put one or two 'disabled' signs on our front fence (I reproduced these on my laptop and printer and OH laminated them to make them weather proof). He also marked white paint 'boundary' signs on our front fence, the approximate length of the average car. This was to try to make sure that the front of our house was kept clear for parking our car, so I don't have to walk too far from the house to our car. Fine, on the face of it, and quite legal - it was all on our own fence. However, on mentioning what we had done, to our son, he pointed out that those signs indicated to any scum bag that occupants in our house would not be very ambulant and would probably be unable to resist an attack very effectively, therefore a good target for a robbery !

He is quite right, of course, because those sort of scum bags, being cowardly, would prefer to pick on elderly infirm people to rob ! Needless to say, we removed all indications that there was a disabled person living in our house (except the painted white boundary stripes). When we told my son what we had done, he was highly relieved,

What a sad thing to have to do. It means that if somebody parks their car in front of our house, then I will have to get to our house from wherever we can park our car. Unfortunately this is a sign of the times we find ourselves in, when attacks on pensioners in their own homes are becoming far more common. As I've said earlier - this government must take action to prevent such dreadful crimes by bringing back the birch, and increasing the number of patrolling police officers. I firmly believe this would deter many attacks on pensioners and also cause youngsters to think twice about carrying a knife, because nobody like that wants to feel pain ! When they are caught, they will get lashings of the birch or cane (depending on their age) as well as so-called community service (unpaid work), and heavy fine. This would be more effective than sending the thug to prison where he/she would soon learn to 'improve' their lawless ways.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

As they used to say at the end of Crime Watch, something along the lines that 'These sort of crimes are rare, don't lose sleep worrying tonight'

Simple things like exterior PIR lighting, solid doors with safety chains, clearing trees or bushes obscuring the entrance, high gates to rear of house ect. keep you safe to a high degree.An alarm and CCTV on the front of the house, even dummy ones deter the barstewards too.

Sorry to hear your mobilty is bad, but don't make yourself worry about news headlines concerning rare violent burglaries.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
cars

Post by cars »

G#Gill;1519526 wrote: How many more pensioners will be damaged physically and/or mentally for the rest of their shortened lives, or even murdered ?

My husband put one or two 'disabled' signs on our front fence (I reproduced these on my laptop and printer and OH laminated them to make them weather proof). He also marked white paint 'boundary' signs on our front fence, the approximate length of the average car. This was to try to make sure that the front of our house was kept clear for parking our car, so I don't have to walk too far from the house to our car. Fine, on the face of it, and quite legal - it was all on our own fence. However, on mentioning what we had done, to our son, he pointed out that those signs indicated to any scum bag that occupants in our house would not be very ambulant and would probably be unable to resist an attack very effectively, therefore a good target for a robbery !

He is quite right, of course, because those sort of scum bags, being cowardly, would prefer to pick on elderly infirm people to rob ! Needless to say, we removed all indications that there was a disabled person living in our house (except the painted white boundary stripes). When we told my son what we had done, he was highly relieved,

What a sad thing to have to do. It means that if somebody parks their car in front of our house, then I will have to get to our house from wherever we can park our car. Unfortunately this is a sign of the times we find ourselves in, when attacks on pensioners in their own homes are becoming far more common. As I've said earlier - this government must take action to prevent such dreadful crimes by bringing back the birch, and increasing the number of patrolling police officers. I firmly believe this would deter many attacks on pensioners and also cause youngsters to think twice about carrying a knife, because nobody like that wants to feel pain ! When they are caught, they will get lashings of the birch or cane (depending on their age) as well as so-called community service (unpaid work), and heavy fine. This would be more effective than sending the thug to prison where he/she would soon learn to 'improve' their lawless ways.

Yes unfortunately the times we live in now (including here in USA) have changed from years ago. Crimes are more prevalent now then days of yesteryear.

Like Bruv said don't loose sleep over worrying about it. However, it is prudent to be aware of the the times, and take preventive measures such as you have done to help protect you. Be alert to your surroundings and conditions, and take care not to put yourselves into harms way. An ounce of prevention can go a long way! Be safe!
Cars :)
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Bruv;1519532 wrote: As they used to say at the end of Crime Watch, something along the lines that 'These sort of crimes are rare, don't lose sleep worrying tonight'

Simple things like exterior PIR lighting, solid doors with safety chains, clearing trees or bushes obscuring the entrance, high gates to rear of house ect. keep you safe to a high degree.An alarm and CCTV on the front of the house, even dummy ones deter the barstewards too.

Sorry to hear your mobilty is bad, but don't make yourself worry about news headlines concerning rare violent burglaries.

Funnily enough, Bruv, all the security measures you suggest, we already have in place. We even have a good sized dog who is a very good 'alarm' and she has a deep and loud bark- a first cross German Shepherd/Collie. It's just that my son, who is working/living away didn't think it a good idea to advertise on our front fence that there was a disabled occupant in our house ! He's now relieved that we have removed these disabled (wheelchair) notices. I can see his point though. I also never answer a knock on our front door after dark, and in daylight we can see who is at our door, so if it is nobody we know or an obvious and expected delivery, then we don't answer the door. But it is so sad to feel you've got to do stuff like this. I can walk about the house, it's just I can't walk very far without having to stop to get my breath and even sit down because I have an arthritic back and I can't stand for more than a few minutes before my back becomes very uncomfortable ! I really don't do old !!! :-5

Attached files
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Also thanks to Cars for the reply. :)
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

You have it all covered Gilly, one of my favourite saying is "Don't meet trouble half way" meaning.......well I don't have to tell you, just relax and stop reading the papers.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

The trouble is, Bruv, I'm basically a 'nosey' cow. But I do like to know what is going down, particularly in my locality, as I do like to 'be prepared' and not be taken by surprise by anything untoward which may be kicking off in the area, and of course in the world ! So I watch the TV news, and I listen to the local radio news, and I also read our local daily newspaper. I don't bother with the national newspapers.

My CCTV camera is very useful - I can see when the 'god botherers' venture down my front pathway - the Jehovah's Witnesses, the Mormons etc. The JW's usually hunt in pairs. I avoid confrontations by not answering the door and after a couple of tries with our doorbell with no reaction, they carry on with their 'round'. One time, ages ago, I did answer the door and on finding out who these two people were (they had a toddler in a pushchair too), I pointed out to them that the woman gave birth to a baby and whilst that baby was in her womb, she shared her blood with it. So I asked them how they can justify refusing blood transfusions even to their own flesh and blood. The woman with the pushchair had no answer, turned away and went back up the pathway to the road, followed by, I presume, was her husband.

Yes I find my CCTV camera is very useful. It helps me to pick and choose who I answer my front door to.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I always tell them thanks for calling but I have my own beliefs, I respect your beliefs please respect mine, thank you and goodbye.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

If I do answer the door, not realising that the person or people are on a 'spreading the word' mission, I'm always polite (because I expect they get enough verbal abuse from people), and I do tell them that I have my own religion, and wish them a good day. They mostly accept that and bid me a good day and leave.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I received an email this morning which I will not reply to. The person knows who I'm referring to, as I discounted her as a friend a long time ago after she was particularly nasty to me in an email. I do not need that sort of communication. I haven't the foggiest idea what this person has in mind - why she sent that email, which contained a copy of various posts on FG from quite a long time ago.

However, if you are reading this, Mrs L, please do not send any more emails. I know you can read the threads but as a banned person you are unable to post anything. It surprises me that you have this obsession about Forum Garden. Do you not realise that your business with this forum is finished and you will never be allowed back into FG. I suggest you concentrate on finding another forum to get involved with, unless of course, you have been banned from all of them !!!

I wish you no harm, so do take care.
cars

Post by cars »

Some telemarketers are damn pushy they never take no for an answer!

Last night this guy calls looking for a sizeable donation for his organization, I tell him

I'm sorry money is tight right now and I won't be able to make any contribution.

He then cuts his donation request in half, and says when can I send that?

I again said sorry, I can't send anything, so then he says . . .

and so I just hung up on him! :-5
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Cars, I just say "Not today thank you." and I tell them to cross/delete my number from their records. Even though I am listed on the Telephone Preference, I still get the odd call over time. I'm usually polite, tell them 'NO' and put the phone down. It is strange though, that any such calls come on my mobile phone, even though I have that on the Telephone Preference like our house landline. Oh well.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

It's too darned hot here, at the moment. It is very sapping to my poor owd body, but it's good weather for drying washed clothes ! We're informed that the heat will go on next week as well, and maybe the week after that. I feel sorry for the people up in Manchester where they have wild fires on Saddleworth Moor. So far 50 people have had to be evacuated ! The army is on 'standby' to boost up the firebrigade, so let's hope that more people don't have to leave their homes.

I just bet those wild fires were started deliberately ! If that is so, I hope the police catch the insane idiots and give them a proper memorable punishment.:mad:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/b ... w-12799493
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Hot. you say? It is supposed to reach 116 today in our California desert. Fortunately for me I am on vacation in green, lush Pittsburgh where we have been having record rainfall and much flooding, with streets and hillsides collapsing. I wish we could send some of this rain to California and Colorado to put out the fires
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

ZAP;1519846 wrote: Hot. you say? It is supposed to reach 116 today in our California desert. Fortunately for me I am on vacation in green, lush Pittsburgh where we have been having record rainfall and much flooding, with streets and hillsides collapsing. I wish we could send some of this rain to California and Colorado to put out the fires

There you go again, Zap ! I knew you were part gypsy ! I trust you are making the most of your time in Pittsburgh, despite the masses of precipitation from the rain laden skies. Ahum, perhaps you could set aside some of that wet stuff you are wishing for California and Colorado, and wish for some of it to drench UK land. It would indeed be very helpful to us over the pond here !

I hope you are not complaining about the wet in Pittsburgh ! You have always said that one of the best feelings for you is to stand outside while it rains on you. :wah::yh_giggle :yh_hugs
cars

Post by cars »

Hot is the word alright! The weather here in NE for the past two weeks has been "unusually" Hot & Humid! With temps in the "90's", and worst of all with 75 to mid 80 % Humidity!!

Very similar to the weather in Florida! Air quality is considered as "oppressive!

"Global warming" is a real thing, (some say no, but . . . ) as the weather all over the world seems to be out of whack!
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

It is strange to be suffering with mid-to-high-nineties, and then to realize that we are actually having a relatively mild summer compared to much of the rest of the country.
- DH Lawrence
cars

Post by cars »

LarsMac;1519877 wrote: It is strange to be suffering with mid-to-high-nineties, and then to realize that we are actually having a relatively mild summer compared to much of the rest of the country.

It's the "85%"+ humidity that's the oppressive conditions here in NE! That's the rare factor here for this area.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

cars;1519879 wrote: .

It's the "85%"+ humidity that's the oppressive conditions here in NE! That's the rare factor here for this area.

Yep, Our humidity has been a much more bearable, 10 - 25 %.

Though that does not bode well for those worried about wildfires
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

I recently returned from a wander around the Pacific northwest. The temps were unusually high. It was 90F on an island in Puget Sound, rather than the normal 60s. I spent most of my time at the higher altitudes, where the temperatures were much cooler and necessary to get a good night's sleep in the campsites. Thank goodness for adiabatic cooling.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

In middle England, the temps are into the 90's on many days, high 80's the rest. Humidity is high but not sure how high (I meant to check), basically the temp is higher than normal for the time of year by about 5f or 6f. It is the global warming, so the deniers can sod off ! Greenpeace have been warning us for years, probably more than 20 years ! We are late in attempting to do something about it, and I just hope we are not too late and that things have gone too far to put the brakes on.

It is a pointer to global warming when there are so many calamitous natural disasters happening around the world. And bloody Trump withdrew America from the Paris agreement over reducing the carbon footprint internationally. What does he think he's doing ? Well I suppose we all know that he doesn't think - he's too busy having fun achieving his ambition to be the most influential person on the planet. What an arsehole !
cars

Post by cars »

Global Warming has to be having an affect on our weather! It was in the 90's here in NE for the past week, and with high humidity, & in September at that! Average temps at this time here is in the 70's. It was unusually hotter here in NE, then it was in Florida, where it's supposed to be hot & humid at this time!
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

cars;1520617 wrote: Global Warming has to be having an affect on our weather! It was in the 90's here in NE for the past week, and with high humidity, & in September at that! Average temps at this time here is in the 70's. It was unusually hotter here in NE, then it was in Florida, where it's supposed to be hot & humid at this time!

Try to convince your President.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Well we've been informed that we could have an 'Indian Summer' where temps are more like summer temps for a short while in the Autumn. I just hope they are not in the 90's again like in our Summer this year ! Makes you wonder what the Winter will bring. Very low temps for weeks ? Sort of Arctic temps ! Gawd I hope not.
cars

Post by cars »

cars;1520617 wrote: Global Warming has to be having an affect on our weather! It was in the 90's here in NE for the past week, and with high humidity, & in September at that! Average temps at this time here is in the 70's. It was unusually hotter here in NE, then it was in Florida, where it's supposed to be hot & humid at this time!

This morning it was 48 degrees here and only went up into the low 60's the rest of the day! Wore Shorts yesterday, and Coat today, Crazy! :)
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Just sounds like Melbourne weather year round....." don't like the weather ? wait ten minutes.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

At the moment we are experiencing the edge of America's hurricanes. We live half way up a hill on the outskirts of Nottingham and it is blowing a hooligan ! It has been doing this for a few days now with the occasional heavy rain shower. However the temperature is fairly warm, so it isn't too bad when hubby takes our dog for her comfort walks and her longer walk for a run in the field. I just have to say thankyou to America for sharing their hurricane with us here in Britain - very generous, but don't worry about sending any more over the pond, please !

Return to “General Chit Chat”