The Friendly Cafe - Open for chinwaggin'

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
G#Gill

The Friendly Café - Open for chinwaggin'

Post by G#Gill »

cars;1510711 wrote: b

Happy 4th of July to those who celebrate it!

When I was a teenager on the 4th, my dad and my uncle were lighting "M80's" and tossing them under a coffee can on the ground. Of course when it exploded, the can shot up around 50 feet into the air! We all laughed, it was fun.

So finally I talked them into letting me light one off myself.

I lit the fuse, and all in one motion tipped the can on the ground with my left hand, (like they did) and lifted my right hand up (like they did) to toss the M80 under the can, and "BOOM" (I wasn't fast enough) it exploded in my hand, close to my ear!

I had a terrible ringing in my ear, and we all looked and counted, I still had all 5 fingers (thank God) on my hand, still could see (thank God) and was shaken up beyond all belief!

I had that ringing in my ear for a few days, and my hand was a little swollen, and sore, but thank God, I still had it!

All three of us never told my mom a word of what happened, she knew something happened, but not what.

I was just happy that I was all in one piece!

Sorry Mr. cars, but I don't know what an M80 is. :-3 :thinking: I obviously assume it is some form of explosive, possibly to do with the American Army ? Sounds as if you were very lucky ! I don't expect you tried that stunt again eh !

My Dad used to do something similar when we were kids. He was a pharmacist, so had access to all sorts of stuff. He used a Tate & Lyle Golden Syrup tin, put this 'stuff' in it, lit a sort of a fuse, rammed the lid back on the tin, turned the tin so it sat on the lid. We all moved well away and watched as this tin exploded and threw itself many feet in the air.

Another time he would put the syrup tin upside down, presumably with explosive contents ready for action inside. He placed the tin at the far end of a narrow garden path in our back garden, carefully poured a line of powder from where we were standing right along this path to the tin (about 40 feet away), returned to where we were standing in eager anticipation, he lit the powder stuff which sizzled and sparkled all the way up to the tin, and under the tin, which then exploded, throwing itself well high into the air, much to our delight and amazement. He never told us what the 'stuff' was, but I suspect it was gunpowder of some sort ! Gawd, we'd never be able to do that sort of thing these days, what with Elf and Sefty watchin' our every move ! :yh_rotfl
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

minks;1510760 wrote: Happy belated 4th to everyone to the south, I hope everyone had fun.

I second that, minks, to all our American friends. :-6 :D ;)
cars

Post by cars »

G#Gill;1510763 wrote: Sorry Mr. cars, but I don't know what an M80 is. :-3 :thinking: I obviously assume it is some form of explosive, possibly to do with the American Army ? Sounds as if you were very lucky ! I don't expect you tried that stunt again eh !

My Dad used to do something similar when we were kids. He was a pharmacist, so had access to all sorts of stuff. He used a Tate & Lyle Golden Syrup tin, put this 'stuff' in it, lit a sort of a fuse, rammed the lid back on the tin, turned the tin so it sat on the lid. We all moved well away and watched as this tin exploded and threw itself many feet in the air.

Another time he would put the syrup tin upside down, presumably with explosive contents ready for action inside. He placed the tin at the far end of a narrow garden path in our back garden, carefully poured a line of powder from where we were standing right along this path to the tin (about 40 feet away), returned to where we were standing in eager anticipation, he lit the powder stuff which sizzled and sparkled all the way up to the tin, and under the tin, which then exploded, throwing itself well high into the air, much to our delight and amazement. He never told us what the 'stuff' was, but I suspect it was gunpowder of some sort ! Gawd, we'd never be able to do that sort of thing these days, what with Elf and Sefty watchin' our every move ! :yh_rotfl

Hi Ms. G, I haven't added a picture in here for years, I tried to add a Picture of the M 80 fireworks that I mentioned. Hope it works, if it didn't sorry.

The fuse on the one I had was much shorter! So quicker time for it to go off.

Attached files
Cars :)
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Thanks for the explanation, Cars. Sorry I've taken a while to respond ! :o

So here's a bit of fun to bring a smile to your face............

FOR FACEBOOK NON-USERS AND SENIORS.......

For those of my generation who do not use and cannot comprehend why Facebook exists:

I am trying to make friends outside Facebook while applying the same principles. Therefore, every day I walk down the street and tell passers by what I have eaten, how I feel at the moment, what I have done the night before, what I will do later and with whom.

I give them pictures of my family, my dog, and of me gardening, taking things apart in the garage, watering the lawn, standing in front of landmarks, driving around town, having lunch, and doing what anybody and everybody does every day.

I also listen to their conversations, give them the "thumbs up" and tell them I like them.

And it works just like Facebook. I already have five people following me: two police officers, a private investigator, a priest and a psychiatrist.

cars

Post by cars »

G#Gill;1511108 wrote: Thanks for the explanation, Cars. Sorry I've taken a while to respond ! :o

So here's a bit of fun to bring a smile to your face............

FOR FACEBOOK NON-USERS AND SENIORS.......

For those of my generation who do not use and cannot comprehend why Facebook exists:

I am trying to make friends outside Facebook while applying the same principles. Therefore, every day I walk down the street and tell passers by what I have eaten, how I feel at the moment, what I have done the night before, what I will do later and with whom.

I give them pictures of my family, my dog, and of me gardening, taking things apart in the garage, watering the lawn, standing in front of landmarks, driving around town, having lunch, and doing what anybody and everybody does every day.

I also listen to their conversations, give them the "thumbs up" and tell them I like them.

And it works just like Facebook. I already have five people following me: two police officers, a private investigator, a priest and a psychiatrist.

j

:wah: It's really funny cause it's so true! You're welcome, and it's good to see you back. Happy posting!
Cars :)
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I've never really gorn away, I just visit another site and spend a couple of days there, which then stretches to a week etc. I then realise I haven't visited FG for a while, so pop back to catch up, then if there is nothing of interest I return to this other site etc. etc. I must try to pop in each site for a short while each day or so. I also get involved with the arcade !!! I used to just come into FG and no other site because I felt I couldn't manage to visit more than one site.

Well I was persuaded to visit another site from time to time, then I got involved with people on there and made some friends, so FG kind of fell behind a little bit, particularly as many of my FG friends moved away because of how it seemed to be moving towards politics and religion more and more. One or two 'old' members have returned, which is good news and it is improving the thread subjects which has got to be a good thing.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

ZAP;1510557 wrote: I've been traveling starting with a trip to Kansas City (Goin' to Kansas City-Kansas City here I come), a family reunion, then to Reno, Nevada and some rodeo and ropin' action, then to Sparks to see my friend's beautiful Koi pond and Japanese garden and do some landscape architecture with a friend from the 9th grade and now tomorrow to Pittsburgh where I'll catch up and spend some time with some old friends. After that it's on to San Jose and Santa Cruz and a beach concert with Eric Burton and The Animals.

I cannot believe I misspelled (spelt?) Eric Burdon's name!! The man is absolutely amazing! He did 2 shows on the beach bandstand--FANTASTIC!

Kansas City was still there but I didn't see anybody standing' on the corner-12th Street & Vine. The rodeo was good--I won a "Ropin'" T-shirt because I jumped the highest to catch it. I got a bite on one of my books that I've been following up on.

It rained nearly every day in Pittsburgh, just as I had requested I collected more Morgan Hill Poppy Jasper and did some rock landscaping and painting of my own at my daughter's place. I'm going home tomorrow but I'll go back to Reno at the end of this month to be with my friend who is having a hip replacement and wanted me to stay with her for a couple of weeks. I hope my house is still there in Southern California.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

ZAP;1511372 wrote: I cannot believe I misspelled (spelt?) Eric Burdon's name!! The man is absolutely amazing! He did 2 shows on the beach bandstand--FANTASTIC!

Kansas City was still there but I didn't see anybody standing' on the corner-12th Street & Vine. The rodeo was good--I won a "Ropin'" T-shirt because I jumped the highest to catch it. I got a bite on one of my books that I've been following up on.

It rained nearly every day in Pittsburgh, just as I had requested I collected more Morgan Hill Poppy Jasper and did some rock landscaping and painting of my own at my daughter's place. I'm going home tomorrow but I'll go back to Reno at the end of this month to be with my friend who is having a hip replacement and wanted me to stay with her for a couple of weeks. I hope my house is still there in Southern California.

Zap, SLOW DOWN !!!! You're gonna come back before you leave, at this rate ! Besides, I'm quite out off breath keeping up with you ! I just knew I shouldn't have sent you those rollerskates ! Please keep safe, Zap, but do enjoy all your travels :driving: :-6 ;)
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Well I don't know how Zap is getting on during her travels, I just hope all is OK with her.

At the moment, I feel that we are very close to a world war, and a nuclear one at that. Quite honestly these times are probably worse than the 1960s when things got very hot over the Cuban crisis. Then there was the touchy time in the 1980s when the world came very close to a melt-down and there was a sort of stand-off. I was making plans to utilise our basement as a shelter and formulated 'what to do in case', however at that time my hubby was skippering a charity trip boat for handicapped people, so was not at home but somewhere on the inland waterway ! My son was at school and it would take him quite a bit longer than '4 minutes' to get home. My family would be split, should the worst happen.

At the moment, I feel that we are far closer to a severe situation than we have ever been before. There is so much sabre rattling from North Korea and U.S.A. and there seems to be no sensible end in sight. What severely concerns me is that my family is split again - my son is working in Wales. My hubby and I will be together but not with our son. He won't have time to get back home with us. I just hope that sense can prevail in this frightening situation and that a peaceful solution can be agreed upon by all concerned. I wish people would watch the videos of Chernobyl, and that was an accident !
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

ZAP;1511372 wrote: I cannot believe I misspelled (spelt?) Eric Burdon's name!! The man is absolutely amazing! He did 2 shows on the beach bandstand--FANTASTIC!

It's a little late, now, I reckon, but if you find yourself in Colorado in the next month, PM me, and perhaps we can meet up for a beer, or a burger (or both).

We are stuck here pending repairs to the Dancer, probably through most of September. The Missus still wants to go to Maine before the Winter sets in. That should be interesting. I figure a week or two there, and then follow the Fall colors down the Eastern side of the Appalachian ranges, to North Georgia, spend some time with family there, the head down to Florida for the winter. We gonna be Snow Birds!)

We might still make it over to California for late winter/Early Spring.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Hey don't you forget to come home some time, Zap !

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Monday night/ early hours Tuesday morning, we heard then saw a helicopter hovering south of us. It was the police helicopter and it was using it's powerful spot/searchlight. We quite often see the police chopper at night, sometimes it hovers overhead and it is flippin' noisy. Anybody asleep in bed at that time soon weren't ! Mostly, though it seems to be used for following suspicious vehicles along the main road, which is about a mile away from our house and lower down the valley. We thought no more about it, as it is quite a common occurrence these days. We retired to bed.

In the morning there was a report, on our local radio, about an armed robbery just after midnight at a pub just over a mile south of our house. The police had answered a call very quickly and, also using a dog, they quickly found the three robbers and arrested them. I would say that was a decent collar !

As the police had arrived on the scene very quickly, I would think that the pub had a 'panic alarm' button directly to our local police station. Somebody in the pub had the sense to quietly press the 'panic button' - possibly the landlord. I doubt that the robbers would have been caught so quickly otherwise. The police chopper was also very promptly on the scene.

In the local paper the following day they showed a picture of the police dog - such a beautifully majestic animal, jet black all over ! Apparently the 3 robbers appeared in the Magistrates Court on the Tuesday where they were informed that the case was too serious for Magistrates to deal with, so they will remain in custody till they have to appear at the Crown Court in the last week of September.

That would indicate that there could well be custodial sentences. One of the robbers had a knife and another robber had another weapon. I would think that it would be fruitless them pleading not guilty when they were apprehended more or less on the doorstep of the pub, in possession of a knife and another weapon ! :thinking:

It's all happening at our sleepy suburb innit !
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I received an email today, with some very good news, and I hope it happens !............

Environment Secretary Michael Gove has announced that the UK will back a permanent ban on bee-killing pesticides. [1]This is huge. 38 Degrees-ers like you have been pushing for this since way back in 2012. [2] Together, we have just made sure our bees will be around for generations to come.Incredibly, more than a million of us have taken part in the campaign to ban bee-killing pesticides from British fields

At last somebody realises that the human race needs bees !!!!
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

G#Gill;1514310 wrote: I received an email today, with some very good news, and I hope it happens !............

Environment Secretary Michael Gove has announced that the UK will back a permanent ban on bee-killing pesticides. [1]This is huge. 38 Degrees-ers like you have been pushing for this since way back in 2012. [2] Together, we have just made sure our bees will be around for generations to come.Incredibly, more than a million of us have taken part in the campaign to ban bee-killing pesticides from British fields

Good news, Gill

Similar efforts are going on here in the states.

Where I live, there are a lot of people taking steps to make life easier for bees. The latest "thing" is to have a bee-friendly water dish in the yard.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

G#Gill;1514310 wrote: I received an email today, with some very good news, and I hope it happens !............

I am sure I signed for that a long time ago, how long does it take ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
xfrodobagginsx

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

Who watched Impractical Jokers? Great Show!
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

G#Gill;1512033 wrote: Hey don't you forget to come home some time, Zap !

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sear ... ction=view

This is the concert and I was on the beach when this was taken. I need to look through the whole thing to see if we were caught on the video. It looks like the person taking this was right behind us and a little to the left.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Hi Zap !!! I've watched the video and perhaps, when the camera moves round to a more frontal view of the stage towards the end of the video (around 25.00 plus), are you the lady with long blondish hair and glasses with another lady also glasses but shorter than you ? I was a bit disappointed in his rendition of Rising Sun. Never know why people mess about with melody lines of their own original songs, when they perform them many years later ! Perhaps they are trying to keep themselves from getting bored stupid after singing a particular song so many hundreds of times ! :wah:

There was an earlier view, more from the side, where there was a lady with long blond hair wearing what appeared to be a green top and she was with another lady who appeared to be wearing a pink top - that was around the 22.40 plus !

You'll just have to check it out and hopefully be able to give me a video timing if you are actually caught on camera.

Glad you are back home safely, Zap, and it seems that you have had a great time during your various travels. ;) :)
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Hi Gill!

Thanks for checking out the video. Actually I think I found me at around 32:00-33:00 to the end. But I never turned around. All that's there is my hair and my dark jacket and me bouncing to the music. Hold On is playing.

I was in Reno when Burning Man was going on. You wouldn't believe how crazy that place was. We didn't go out to the "venue" but we saw lots of people from all over the world. I talked to some of them. This is not a cheap event and a lot of people flew thousands of miles to go to it. Then they rented bicycles to get around and they just leave them behind when they leave. The bike guy sells them next year. The people who have motor homes, campers, etc. come into town when the event is over. Their vehicles are completely covered with a greyish film. The traffic on the roads and in parking lots looks like a Sea of Grey.
xfrodobagginsx

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

How about those Astros?
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I've just been watching "The Secret World of Four Year Olds" on TV, and it is hilarious. These youngsters, not long out of nappies, take some things so seriously. Boyfriend a girlfriend, best friends, playmates - everything is so important and even the smallest happening to us adults, can be a major catastrophe to one of those little ones ! Made me wonder if I was like that at 4. I really think adults should watch these sort of programmes as I'm sure they would learn a lot about how a child thinks at 4 years old, and would no doubt be able to cope better with different reactions and moods by 4 year olds.

Despite the serious message that may or may not be sent out by this programme, it is very entertaining ! :yh_rotfl
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

It is one of my favourite all time progammes.

You can see some of them will be good caring nice people, some not so nice.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

G#Gill;1514750 wrote: I've just been watching "The Secret World of Four Year Olds" on TV, and it is hilarious. These youngsters, not long out of nappies, take some things so seriously. Boyfriend a girlfriend, best friends, playmates - everything is so important and even the smallest happening to us adults, can be a major catastrophe to one of those little ones ! Made me wonder if I was like that at 4. I really think adults should watch these sort of programmes as I'm sure they would learn a lot about how a child thinks at 4 years old, and would no doubt be able to cope better with different reactions and moods by 4 year olds.

Despite the serious message that may or may not be sent out by this programme, it is very entertaining ! :yh_rotfl

4-yr-olds are fascinating creatures.

They have truly begun to realize that they can manipulate the world around them, and can communicate with the population, yet they still haven't figured out how everything really works. the mind is starting to work on reasoning and problem solving. Unfortunately, most also have fairly short attention spans when dealing with the adult population and therefore little patience with the machinations of adults.
- DH Lawrence
xfrodobagginsx

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

Bruv;1514757 wrote: It is one of my favourite all time progammes.

You can see some of them will be good caring nice people, some not so nice.

Impractical Jokers is pretty good. Try it.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

xfrodobagginsx;1514778 wrote: Impractical Jokers is pretty good. Try it.

I am in the UK, have never heard of that one, don't think I would like it.
xfrodobagginsx

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

Bruv;1514784 wrote: I am in the UK, have never heard of that one, don't think I would like it.

If you have a sense of humor you would like it. If you don't like comedy then you wouldn't.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

xfrodobagginsx;1514824 wrote: If you have a sense of humor you would like it. If you don't like comedy then you wouldn't.

Well I guess that I don't have a sense of humor. It makes Benny Hill seem cerebral.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

LarsMac;1514827 wrote: Well I guess that I don't have a sense of humor. It makes Benny Hill seem cerebral.

Yes but you are a socialist.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1514834 wrote: Yes but you are a socialist.

Oh, well, yeah, I guess there is THAT.

[sigh]
- DH Lawrence
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I received a very interesting email from a friend today................

Fascinating history!

Starting in 1940, an increasing number of British & Canadian Airmen found themselves the involuntary guests of the Third Reich, and the British Crown was seeking ways and means to facilitate their escape...

Now obviously, one of the most helpful aids to that end is a useful and accurate map, one showing not only where stuff was, but also showing the locations of 'safe houses' where a POW on-the-lam could go for food and shelter.

Paper maps had some real drawbacks -- they make a lot of noise when you open and fold them, they wear out rapidly, and if they get wet, they turn into mush.

Someone in MI-5 (similar to America 's OSS ) got the idea of printing escape maps on silk. It's durable, can be scrunched-up into tiny wads, and unfolded as many times as needed, and makes no noise whatsoever.

At that time, there was only one manufacturer in Great Britain that had perfected the technology of printing on silk, and that was John Waddington Ltd. When approached by the government, the firm was only too happy to do its bit for the war effort.

By pure coincidence, Waddington was also the U.K. Licensee for the popular American board game Monopoly. As it happened, 'games and pastimes' was a category of item qualified for insertion into ‘CARE packages', dispatched by the International Red Cross to prisoners of war.

Under the strictest of secrecy, in a securely guarded and inaccessible old workshop on the grounds of Waddington's, a group of sworn-to-secrecy employees began mass-producing escape maps, keyed to each region of Germany , Italy , France or where ever Allied POW camps were located. When processed, these maps could be folded into such tiny dots that they would actually fit inside a Monopoly playing piece.

As long as they were at it, the clever workmen at Waddington's also managed to add:

1. A playing token, containing a small magnetic compass

2. A two-part metal file that could easily be screwed together

3. Useful amounts of genuine high-denomination German, Italian, and French currency, hidden within the piles of Monopoly money!

British and American air crews were advised, before taking off on their first mission, how to identify a 'rigged' Monopoly set – by means of a tiny red dot, one cleverly rigged to look like an ordinary printing glitch, located in the corner of the Free Parking square.

Of the estimated 35,000 Allied POWS who successfully escaped, an estimated one-third were aided in their flight by the rigged Monopoly sets. Everyone who did so was sworn to secrecy indefinitely, since the British Government might want to use this highly successful ruse in still another, future war.

The story wasn't declassified until 2007, when the surviving craftsmen from Waddington's, as well as the firm itself, were finally honored in a public ceremony.

It's always nice when you can play that 'Get Out of Jail' Free' card!

Many of you are (probably) too young to have any personal connection to WWII (Sep. '39 to Aug. '45), but this is still an interesting bit of history for everyone to know.

I remember when my Dad would invite his 3 brothers and their wives to stay (we had a lot of bedrooms where we lived, in those days !), and the fellas got together playing either Bridge or Monopoly ! Both games would play on into the early morning and the rising sun would still see these four daft guys sitting round a large table still playing Monopoly (they used to have regular 'dish outs' of the money, as and when the bank was getting over-loaded! That, of course, led to Monopoly going on for hours ! I believe Monopoly was devised as a childrens' game, and it was rather comical watching a Pharmacist (with his own business), a research chemist, a headmaster and a bank manager playing this childrens' game !

I enjoy the occasional game of Monopoly, but I prefer to play it straight and not have a sharing out of money part way through the game. My Dad brought a set of Monopoly back with him when he was demobbed after WWII - it happened to be a German version, so even today, my oldest brother John calls "Mayfair" by its German equivalent ! :wah: We managed to translate the Community Chest and Chance cards . The houses and hotels were all cardboard, and I wonder what the possible value of this German Monopoly, that is at least 75 years old, could be. I hasten to add that it is not quite complete so this would reduce the value somewhat !

Bridge was another story, particularly when it involved my Grandmother and 3 of the brothers playing 'partners'. They seemed to take a delight in winding my Grandmother up - she would get sooooo angry with them too ! :wah: They usually teased her with their various secret signals during the 'bidding' ! If you've never played the card game 'Bridge' (using ordinary playing cards), I doubt you would understand what I'm talking about. But if you have played this game before then you will surely have a bit of a smile. :)
xfrodobagginsx

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

Hmm...
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

It is cold. It has been cold and windy for the last few days, so do you think Autumn is over and Winter has started ? I have dug out me thermal knickers, :yh_blush so it must be Winter! :yh_rotfl
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

It creeps through your bones doesn't it Gilly ?
xfrodobagginsx

Post by xfrodobagginsx »

It's 47 here...I want to move to a warmer climate...
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Bruv;1514990 wrote: It creeps through your bones doesn't it Gilly ?

Oh yes, it certainly do ! The wind is very idle as well...................................it's too lazy to go round a person, it just goes straight froo ! brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

xfrodobagginsx;1514991 wrote: It's 47 here...I want to move to a warmer climate...

Don't know where you live, at the moment. 47 f is not too bad at this time of the year though, well not in the UK anyway.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

G#Gill;1515001 wrote: Don't know where you live, at the moment. 47 f is not too bad at this time of the year though, well not in the UK anyway.

47 is South Georgia can be pretty uncomfortable. A lot of humidity.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I really must remember to buy a can of de-icer. The one I bought when I got the car this time last year is almost empty.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

FourPart;1515009 wrote: I really must remember to buy a can of de-icer. The one I bought when I got the car this time last year is almost empty.

Hi there FourPart ! What did you do with the motorbike you were so chuffy with ? Mind you, Winter time is not the time for riding motorbikes, when you get to over 40 and you feel the cold a lot more !
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

G#Gill;1515021 wrote: Hi there FourPart ! What did you do with the motorbike you were so chuffy with ? Mind you, Winter time is not the time for riding motorbikes, when you get to over 40 and you feel the cold a lot more !
Shortly after getting my current job I was doing so well I could afford a down payment on a nice little Toyota Yaris Hybrid car. Therefore, Kermit has been under cover ever since & is currently up for sale.

Although commuting by bike is about twice as fast, there is also the palava of kitting up before leaving, then kitting down on arrival, then kitting up at the end of the day, and kitting down again once home. Plus, of course, as you say, Winter weather is not the best of conditions for a motorbike.

As for feeling the cold - not me. At work they've finally come up with a uniform to fit me (after over a year) - of sorts. I'm the very first to have the new model, and everyone is really jealous of it. However, the general model is a Polo Shirt or Sweat Shirt. I wanted a Polo Shirt. I've been given a Fleece Sweater which, for me, is uncomfortably hot. Also, part of the uniform is a Body Warmer, which I've never had, but would never wear, despite everyone else wearing theirs - I'd still rather be in a short sleeved Polo Shirt. Most of the time that's what I wear - I've got a batch of my own ones which are moreorless the right colour.

Jaxsie:

Attached files
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

FourPart;1515023 wrote: Shortly after getting my current job I was doing so well I could afford a down payment on a nice little Toyota Yaris Hybrid car. Therefore, Kermit has been under cover ever since & is currently up for sale.

Although commuting by bike is about twice as fast, there is also the palava of kitting up before leaving, then kitting down on arrival, then kitting up at the end of the day, and kitting down again once home. Plus, of course, as you say, Winter weather is not the best of conditions for a motorbike.

As for feeling the cold - not me. At work they've finally come up with a uniform to fit me (after over a year) - of sorts. I'm the very first to have the new model, and everyone is really jealous of it. However, the general model is a Polo Shirt or Sweat Shirt. I wanted a Polo Shirt. I've been given a Fleece Sweater which, for me, is uncomfortably hot. Also, part of the uniform is a Body Warmer, which I've never had, but would never wear, despite everyone else wearing theirs - I'd still rather be in a short sleeved Polo Shirt. Most of the time that's what I wear - I've got a batch of my own ones which are moreorless the right colour.

Jaxsie:

We have a Yaris diesel - very economic, and a good runner. We inherited it after my sister-in-law died last year - much more economical than our T5 Volvo, and the tax and insurance is a lot less. The T5 though is a super car, and very comfortable.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Being a Hybrid, Jaxsie is Tax Exempt. MPG is an average of about 55 (Kermit was, at best, about 47MPG). Insurance is also very low.

In all other cars my main problem is in fitting in them. I'm quite tall, at 1.85m but as I have short legs all my height is in my upper body. This means that headroom is very restricted in most other cars. However, Jaxsie is incredibly roomy, and I would easily be able to have my crash helmet on, with room to spare inside.

This time of year I think my only criticism is that with the cold weather coming on, the heating takes ages to kick in, as heating generally comes from the heat of the engine. As the engine is only there to keep the battery charged, this doesn't exactly get very hot.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I took one look at the front page of Forum Garden and saw that most of the threads were flippin' word games threads. For pity's sake !!!!!! All these so-called word games are much the same. There is no benefit to them and people who indulge hours of their time boringly adding a word here and a word there must be rather sad, lonely people, and I feel rather sorry for them.

I suppose I shouldn't complain, because everybody has a reason why they indulge in internet social sites, and each of them are quite free to do 'their thing' and without fear of other people being sarcastic or nasty towards them. So long as they keep within the law of the land, and generally accepted decency, they should be allowed to type their thoughts or games answers without hassle.

What I would ask, though, is that those enjoying the word games should not fill the front page of the site with all these games. Other people, surfing through the various social media sites would look at the FG front page and if they weren't word games addicts, they would run a mile ! :-5 :thinking: :rolleyes:
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

I'm guessing that complaint was aimed at me since I'm the only one doing the word games so thanks for that warm welcome LOL I enjoy aimlessly posting, it's an amusing distraction for me but by all means out post me. I'm sure you can fill out the front page just as easily as I can.
Hopeless optimist and irritating ray of sunshine!
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Lizzie;1515491 wrote: I'm guessing that complaint was aimed at me since I'm the only one doing the word games so thanks for that warm welcome LOL I enjoy aimlessly posting, it's an amusing distraction for me but by all means out post me. I'm sure you can fill out the front page just as easily as I can.

Take no notice Lizzie, welcome to FG by the way and please continue to post wherever you like :-6
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

Betty Boop;1515493 wrote: Take no notice Lizzie, welcome to FG by the way and please continue to post wherever you like :-6

Thank you :)
Hopeless optimist and irritating ray of sunshine!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Lizzie;1515491 wrote: I'm guessing that complaint was aimed at me since I'm the only one doing the word games so thanks for that warm welcome LOL I enjoy aimlessly posting, it's an amusing distraction for me but by all means out post me. I'm sure you can fill out the front page just as easily as I can.

Hey, Lizzie, I'm sorry that I seemed to be down on you, but I suppose I was a little taken aback at the front page being so over-crowded with word games. I think most folk on here know that I'm not much of a fan of word games as they seem so aimless really. Not many tax the old grey matter do they ? However, I see your point about chilling out with word games, so as BB says, you carry on 'doing your thing' and take no notice of me ! Oh and (a bit late I know ! :) ) welcome to Forum Garden, and I hope you've brought a spade and fork, cos the flower beds are a little neglected ! :wah:

I don't come online every day to FG so I hadn't realised that 'Lizzie' was a new member, very sorry Lizzie. :-6 :o I really should learn to hold me hush :lips:
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

G#Gill;1515477 wrote: I took one look at the front page of Forum Garden and saw that most of the threads were flippin' word games threads. For pity's sake !!!!!! All these so-called word games are much the same. There is no benefit to them and people who indulge hours of their time boringly adding a word here and a word there must be rather sad, lonely people, and I feel rather sorry for them.

I suppose I shouldn't complain, because everybody has a reason why they indulge in internet social sites, and each of them are quite free to do 'their thing' and without fear of other people being sarcastic or nasty towards them. So long as they keep within the law of the land, and generally accepted decency, they should be allowed to type their thoughts or games answers without hassle.

What I would ask, though, is that those enjoying the word games should not fill the front page of the site with all these games. Other people, surfing through the various social media sites would look at the FG front page and if they weren't word games addicts, they would run a mile ! :-5 :thinking: :rolleyes:

Would you rather they are all religion nonsense, again?
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

xfrodobagginsx;1515513 wrote: http://www.thechillwagon.cool/images/Ch ... ed_b+w.jpg

My uncle drove one of those when I was a kid. I tried to talk my parents into moving to his neighborhood.

Didn't happen.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “General Chit Chat”