The Friendly Cafe - Open for chinwaggin'

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
FourPart

The Friendly Café - Open for chinwaggin'

Post by FourPart »

High Threshold;1476879 wrote: You'll need an extra lump of sugar today!

That's a point - do they still make sugar in lumps? I've not seen any in years.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

woppy71;1476876 wrote: Checking in for a coffee :)

Hi there Woppy !!! Good to see you back in Forum Garden. How have you been , and I hope you hang around for a while............ With regard to the coffee, it isn't Starbucks, but we try to keep a similar standard ! ;) :)
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

FourPart;1476880 wrote: That's a point - do they still make sugar in lumps? I've not seen any in years.

You can still get lump sugar, although I can't say that I have seen it in our local Tesco Supermarket. But that doesn't mean to say they don't stock a small quantity somewhere in the sugar section of the shop. I do know that lump sugar seems to be always available at restaurants and the better cafés. :thinking:
woppy71

Post by woppy71 »

I was just thinking that if you couldn't get lump sugar easily, how on earth are all those horses going to get their sugar?? The logistics of spooning the sugar in would seem, um, difficult :D
Behaviour breeds behaviour - treat people how you would like to be treated yourself
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

FourPart;1476880 wrote: That's a point - do they still make sugar in lumps? I've not seen any in years.
You must be living in an industrial area of the country. All cafés and pie shops in the vicinity of universities serve lump sugar: white …........................... and brown.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

High Threshold;1476890 wrote: You must be living in an industrial area of the country. All cafés and pie shops in the vicinity of universities serve lump sugar: white …........................... and brown.

I don't think I've EVER seen brown sugar lumps.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

FourPart;1476891 wrote: I don't think I've EVER seen brown sugar lumps.
Really?!

Most of our cafés and certainly all of the student ones and health/salad cafés and restaurants have brown-sugar lumps. But then Sweden prides itself on most things "healthy". It's the impression of ourselves we want the world to see, and I guess I have to admit it's true too. But come along, I'd be very surprised if at least some of UK cafés and restaurants didn't serve brown sugar lumps. I don't want to sound pretentious but you have seen carrot cake served somewhere, yes? Well, they are bound to serve brown sugar! No?

Here you go. "By appointment" no less:

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

woppy71;1476887 wrote: I was just thinking that if you couldn't get lump sugar easily, how on earth are all those horses going to get their sugar?? The logistics of spooning the sugar in would seem, um, difficult :D

I was also thinking of the poor horses ! They love their sugar lumps, don't they ! :D
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

FourPart;1476891 wrote: I don't think I've EVER seen brown sugar lumps.

Neither have I !!! But my hubby says he has seen them available some years ago, though.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

High Threshold;1476893 wrote: Really?!

Most of our cafés and certainly all of the student ones and health/salad cafés and restaurants have brown-sugar lumps. But then Sweden prides itself on most things "healthy". It's the impression of ourselves we want the world to see, and I guess I have to admit it's true too. But come along, I'd be very surprised if at least some of UK cafés and restaurants didn't serve brown sugar lumps. I don't want to sound pretentious but you have seen carrot cake served somewhere, yes? Well, they are bound to serve brown sugar! No?

Here you go. "By appointment" no less:

Ah ! Lizzy has decent taste ! I bet that brown sugar is not demerara though !
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

G#Gill;1476894 wrote: I was also thinking of the poor horses ! They love their sugar lumps, don't they ! :D
I thought there were to be no more name changes?
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

High Threshold;1476899 wrote: I thought there were to be no more name changes?

:-2 :confused:
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

High Threshold;1476899 wrote: I thought there were to be no more name changes?

Norty!

I had a look on the Tesco website. They have Sugar Cubes (White & Demerara) listed, but marked as "No Longer Available". Mind you, I think those horses would only be allowed White Sugar Cubes.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I am not a political animal, and I am bored by constant politicing that has invaded the media every day now. Of course I suppose it has to happen as there is the dreaded General Election in May. The various different parties back-biting and trying to dig as much dirt as they can possibly find about their opponents. Very childish argumentative behaviour, each 'poli' trying to out-do the others. Each 'leader' promising the moon !

Boring, boring !

Perhaps I'm odd. Perhaps I should be more serious about politics, but I know what I want out of a prospective government, and it ain't what those 'grey' blokes are spouting about. The main 3 'grey' parties are all the same ................ they couldn't organise a 'p*** u* in a brewery' as far as I can see. :-5:-5:-5
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I saw some report last night (David Dimbleby, I think) which was introducing this as being a General Election like no other before. In what way is it like no other. There are different political parties, all making the same pledge & promises which they will, no doubt, totally renege on & no matter who you vote for, the Government will get in. Moreover, there will be complaints about the party which wins only getting a minority of the actual votes cast, despite that having been the voting system since the Greeks invented it. After all, if Proportional Representation were instigated then all the multiple extremist fringe parties, such as the Monster Raving Loony Party & the like, where each one might only get, say, 50 votes could total more than what would otherwise be the winning party, which if that system were to be introduced could mean that these would be the parties to make up the next coalition Government.

As I see it, there is nothing different about this election apart from, perhaps, the previous non-runner, in the form of UKIP, now stands to be a genuine threat to both of the other main parties.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

FourPart;1476903 wrote: Norty!

FourPart;1476903 wrote: I had a look on the Tesco website. They have Sugar Cubes (White & Demerara) listed, but marked as "No Longer Available".

That's odd.

FourPart;1476903 wrote: Mind you, I think those horses would only be allowed White Sugar Cubes.

The brown ones are for horses of a different colour. It's clearly marked on the packet.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

G#Gill;1477481 wrote: I am not a political animal, and I am bored by constant politicing that has invaded the media every day now. Of course I suppose it has to happen as there is the dreaded General Election in May. The various different parties back-biting and trying to dig as much dirt as they can possibly find about their opponents. Very childish argumentative behaviour, each 'poli' trying to out-do the others. Each 'leader' promising the moon !

Boring, boring !

Perhaps I'm odd. Perhaps I should be more serious about politics, but I know what I want out of a prospective government, and it ain't what those 'grey' blokes are spouting about. The main 3 'grey' parties are all the same ................ they couldn't organise a 'p*** u* in a brewery' as far as I can see. :-5:-5:-5
You've just stated what everyone already knows, but no one is prepared to admit it.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

At least Nigel Farage gives an answer to a question put to him, instead of hedging all around it and avoiding the answer like the main parties do all the time. Also, UKIP seem to be more coherent and have more common sense than the others. I will watch with great interest their progress.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I think that puppy pic is sooooooo cute, HT ! Thanks for posting it. ;)
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

G#Gill;1477502 wrote: At least Nigel Farage gives an answer to a question put to him, instead of hedging all around it and avoiding the answer like the main parties do all the time. Also, UKIP seem to be more coherent and have more common sense than the others. I will watch with great interest their progress.
An astounding ending statment from someone who is, "... not a political animal, and" is "bored by constant politicing that has invaded the media every day now." :wah:

G#Gill;1477502 wrote: I think that puppy pic is sooooooo cute, HT ! Thanks for posting it. ;)
You're welcome. I was just going to paste and send it off, but I was so taken by it that I had to have a good long benevolent look before hitting the send button. :yh_love
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

But I never mentioned anything about watching the main parties did I !
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

G#Gill;1477500 wrote: At least Nigel Farage gives an answer to a question put to him, instead of hedging all around it and avoiding the answer like the main parties do all the time. Also, UKIP seem to be more coherent and have more common sense than the others. I will watch with great interest their progress.

I apologise if this offends........no I don't, if this offends anybody look away.....now.

I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

G#Gill;1477513 wrote: But I never mentioned anything about watching the main parties did I !
Yes, that's true Gill.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Bruv;1477516 wrote: I apologise if this offends........no I don't, if this offends anybody look away.....now.

Brilliant!
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Farage Frog. I can't help but see Kermit every time I see him on the telly. Can't stand the man, he couldn't hold his own in the debate, displayed bullying tactics shouting at others.

And I don't believe Cameron either with his working class promises :rolleyes:
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Betty Boop;1477525 wrote: Farage Frog. I can't help but see Kermit every time I see him on the telly. Can't stand the man, he couldn't hold his own in the debate, displayed bullying tactics shouting at others.

And I don't believe Cameron either with his working class promises :rolleyes:

BB I don't believe any of the idiots. They are all full of s**t, and promises they never intend to keep - when you think about these promises, how the heck can they keep them ? To do all that these wallies 'promise', a vast amount of cash is required and we ain't got it ! We could have it if we severely cut down our foreign aid to countries that don't need it or in fact even want it ! It would also help a great deal if our lilly-livered 'leaders' made all the wayward big companies pay the millions of tax they owe, and have owed for some considerable time. The other thorny point is that UK could save billions every month if they left the European mafia ! What the heck are we doing allowing unelected clicky ne'er-do-wells make our rules and regulations. Originally we joined a Common Market, for trade co-operation, and not a political federation of back-biting countries who are hell-bent on milking the UK dry and turning it into a third world country ! Sorry, but in my opnion, the UK have been suckored in, well and truly, and are gradually being destroyed by Europe. Our 'leaders' haven't got any 'b***s' and Europe are laughing at our incompetence and our sadly inadequate leadership.

I say that I shall be watching with interest how the UKIP lot proceed, simply because I feel they have said in public what many thousands of UK residents think but are not brave enough to say out loud. I believe that UKIP have got the main parties just a little bit scared, and of course those parties are digging up as much 'muck' as they can to try to disgrace members of this 'upstart' group. It is par for the course, of course, near a general election, for these 'politicians' to slag off as much as they possibly can, any opposition ! It's just so much bulls**t isn't it really ? No I shall just sit on the touch line and be entertained by all the in-fighting.

I'm not a political animal, but I would love to regain the respect I used to have for the country of my birth. I feel so sad that this beautiful country is being gradually reduced from a once great nation, well respected world-wide, to a grovelling poverty-stricken inconsequential lump of rock protruding slightly out of the North Sea. I'm afraid I do not feel the pride in my birth country that I once had, and it makes me want to weep.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

G#Gill;1477537 wrote: BB I don't believe any of the idiots. They are all full of s**t, and promises they never intend to keep - when you think about these promises, how the heck can they keep them ? To do all that these wallies 'promise', a vast amount of cash is required and we ain't got it ! We could have it if we severely cut down our foreign aid to countries that don't need it or in fact even want it ! It would also help a great deal if our lilly-livered 'leaders' made all the wayward big companies pay the millions of tax they owe, and have owed for some considerable time. The other thorny point is that UK could save billions every month if they left the European mafia ! What the heck are we doing allowing unelected clicky ne'er-do-wells make our rules and regulations. Originally we joined a Common Market, for trade co-operation, and not a political federation of back-biting countries who are hell-bent on milking the UK dry and turning it into a third world country ! Sorry, but in my opnion, the UK have been suckored in, well and truly, and are gradually being destroyed by Europe. Our 'leaders' haven't got any 'b***s' and Europe are laughing at our incompetence and our sadly inadequate leadership.

I say that I shall be watching with interest how the UKIP lot proceed, simply because I feel they have said in public what many thousands of UK residents think but are not brave enough to say out loud. I believe that UKIP have got the main parties just a little bit scared, and of course those parties are digging up as much 'muck' as they can to try to disgrace members of this 'upstart' group. It is par for the course, of course, near a general election, for these 'politicians' to slag off as much as they possibly can, any opposition ! It's just so much bulls**t isn't it really ? No I shall just sit on the touch line and be entertained by all the in-fighting.

I'm not a political animal, but I would love to regain the respect I used to have for the country of my birth. I feel so sad that this beautiful country is being gradually reduced from a once great nation, well respected world-wide, to a grovelling poverty-stricken inconsequential lump of rock protruding slightly out of the North Sea. I'm afraid I do not feel the pride in my birth country that I once had, and it makes me want to weep.

I don't think we should leave the EU, it will cost us more than we can afford for a start and I think it does us more good than bad.

I might start a thread later when I have more time to research.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I remember the last campaign where the Liberals based their entire campaign on stopping any further increases on VAT.

What was the first thing they did as part of the coalition? Raised VAT, of course. So much for campaign promises.

Cameron is promising an In / Out EU referendum by 2020. Considering the next election would be in 2020, at the latest, that's an interesting promise.

The Tories are still blaming all their screw-ups on the previous Government. Mind you, they are not alone in this tactic. As far as I can remember, and doubtless before, Governments have always been blaming their predecessors for their failures, and taking all the credit for their successes.

As for promises - the promises are all the same - just in different wrappings. More public spending, fewer cuts, lower tax rates (Jam tomorrow, Jam the next day, but never Jam today). It's all give, give, give, with never a mention of how it's all to be funded.

As far as seeing the Party Leaders under fire at the debates, at least Farage & Mliiband have been answering the questions - even if you don't like or agree with the answers. Cameron just seems to ignore the questions altogether & replaces them with his personal campaign soundbites.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I remember the last campaign where the Liberals based their entire campaign on stopping any further increases on VAT.

What was the first thing they did as part of the coalition? Raised VAT, of course. So much for campaign promises.

Cameron is promising an In / Out EU referendum by 2020. Considering the next election would be in 2020, at the latest, that's an interesting promise.

The Tories are still blaming all their screw-ups on the previous Government. Mind you, they are not alone in this tactic. As far as I can remember, and doubtless before, Governments have always been blaming their predecessors for their failures, and taking all the credit for their successes.

As for promises - the promises are all the same - just in different wrappings. More public spending, fewer cuts, lower tax rates (Jam tomorrow, Jam the next day, but never Jam today). It's all give, give, give, with never a mention of how it's all to be funded.

As far as seeing the Party Leaders under fire at the debates, at least Farage & Mliiband have been answering the questions - even if you don't like or agree with the answers. Cameron just seems to ignore the questions altogether & replaces them with his personal campaign soundbites.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

OK...... OK......We heard you the first time.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Is this now THE Election thread ?

I blew my top the other night hearing that Thatcher Lite was bribing us with selling off housing association houses, and I thought that selling off the council housing stock had caused much of our present day problems.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Bruv;1477557 wrote: OK...... OK......We heard you the first time.
Blame the software.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Bruv;1477559 wrote: Is this now THE Election thread ?

I blew my top the other night hearing that Thatcher Lite was bribing us with selling off housing association houses, and I thought that selling off the council housing stock had caused much of our present day problems.

Gawd, I sincerely hope not, Bruv !!!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

A few weeks ago I woke up to a brilliant sunrise. We've had quite a few this year, so I thought I would share the picture with you although the photo doesn't do justice to the wonderful colours ! Left click on photo once. That is what I see from my sitting room window!

Attached files
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Not sure how that happened, but it seems I posted that post twice ! Put it down to 'Grey Syndrome':yh_rotfl
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Gorgeous Gill!
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

ZAP;1477751 wrote: Gorgeous Gill!
Yep! Gill is a beauty alright. I sometimes sit and gaze at her photo for hours. :yh_love
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

High Threshold;1477754 wrote: Yep! Gill is a beauty alright. I sometimes sit and gaze at her photo for hours. :yh_love

Yes,,,,,,,,indeed!
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

ZAP;1477755 wrote: Yes,,,,,,,,indeed!
I have to admit that I set a trap for you.... but you side-stepped that mine field very well!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Oh, you are a mad lot ! :yh_rotfl But please don't change ! ;) :)
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

High Threshold;1477757 wrote: I have to admit that I set a trap for you.... but you side-stepped that mine field very well!

I always appreciate a good trap and a good mind that observes an error in punctuation. :)
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

ZAP;1477759 wrote: I always appreciate a good trap and a good mind that observes an error in punctuation. :)

He-he!
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

G#Gill;1477758 wrote: Oh, you are a mad lot ! :yh_rotfl But please don't change ! ;) :)
We're simply vying for your attention, Miss Gill. Stumbling over one's own tongue or boot laces is to be expected when the competition is this fierce.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

High Threshold;1477763 wrote: We're simply vying for your attention, Miss Gill. Stumbling over one's own tongue or boot laces is to be expected when the competition is this fierce.

And Miss Gorgeous Gill's attention is certainly worthy of much vying!
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

ZAP;1477765 wrote: And Miss Gorgeous Gill's attention is certainly worthy of much vying!
That's an understatement.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

You two are as barmy as each other ! Zap, please don't make HT any worse than he already is ! Although I'm bound to say that he is a right smoothy and could charm the birds off trees :yh_rotfl
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

G#Gill;1477788 wrote: You two are as barmy as each other ! Zap, please don't make HT any worse than he already is ! Although I'm bound to say that he is a right smoothy and could charm the birds off trees :yh_rotfl

Well!

That's a challenge if I ever heard one. Make HT balmier . . .er . . .barmier than he already is. :sneaky:
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

ZAP;1477793 wrote: Well!

That's a challenge if I ever heard one. Make HT balmier . . .er . . .barmier than he already is. :sneaky:

Uh oh, I can see some :yh_devil ment creeping up over the horizon ! :lips: HT you'd best be careful, you're dealing with the best looking blonde in California and Zap is no dumb blonde either ! ;) :)
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

G#Gill;1477788 wrote: .... Zap, please don't make HT any worse than he already is ! Although I'm bound to say that he is a right smoothy and could charm the birds off trees :yh_rotfl
“Birds” you say, eh? Speaking of which ….. you fancy a drink? Climb out of the tree and I'll summon a taxi. And just to save some embarrassment, I go by the name of Jones-Jones down at the Bishop's Arms ..... whenever I have a bird in tow.

ZAP

Post by ZAP »

G#Gill;1477795 wrote: Uh oh, I can see some :yh_devil ment creeping up over the horizon ! :lips: HT you'd best be careful, you're dealing with the best looking blonde in California and Zap is no dumb blonde either ! ;) :)

Thank you oh Gorgeous Gill! Remind me where I am to send your check, (cheque) or money order.

There may be some (like millions) who would dispute your assessment of my being the best looking blonde in California but I am certainly not dumn, leastways I don't think I am. Huh? That is so how you spell dum . . .er dumb! :-2 :yh_giggle

Return to “General Chit Chat”