Sciatica

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Oscar Namechange

Sciatica

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Anyone here suffer from this ?

If so, any tips for coping?

I haven't had a flare up In years but a nasty cough over Christmas saw me cough so much, I have done something to the sciatic nerve again.

Sitting on the sofa while the husband brings me tea and food does have It's benefits but I've been laid low for two weeks now. Luckily my work Involves working from home on the laptop and I can do that.

I've been advised to get active and exercise but the pain Is so great that just to cough sends a shooting pain down through my bum and legs.

The Doc has given me a combination of Tramadol and Codeine but It's hardly touching the sides.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
theia

Sciatica

Post by theia »

That sounds incredibly painful, Oscar. I haven't suffered from it myself but other people have said it's pretty bad. All I can contribute is to say, look after yourself...maybe you needed to take some time out to rest up a bit from your hectic schedule, to build up your inner resources for your busy year ahead? Just a thought
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
AnneBoleyn

Sciatica

Post by AnneBoleyn »

The only thing that ever helped mine, (I haven't had it for over a decade) was a large ice-pack placed on the lower back on the side of the pain. Ice provided some comfort for the leg involved, too; but the actual pain starts from the lower back. The ice freezes & dulls the pain. Make sure actual ice pack (the kind you bring on picnics, etc.) doesn't touch skin; wrap it in a towel.

I sympathize, oscar, I will never forget that horrendous pain--never.
kazalala

Sciatica

Post by kazalala »

Yes in different degrees i have suffered. I got it first when I was pregnant with my son and was practically housebound the last few weeks.

I have had it pretty bad sometimes then not so bad other times. I think I have had it the past few weeks actually, but not too bad that I cant carry on as normal, just with a bit of pain and discomfort. ind you,, I dont know why, but i have had a lot of bother over the past couple of years with tendon trouble so it could be something to do with that,, Im ok as long as i dont walk too long.

I know my mother suffered pretty bad, much like you are now,, and she could never seem to find anything to ease it. Tramadol just turns you into a zombie :-2

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
LarsMac

Sciatica

Post by LarsMac »

Well, I never really got any relief from pain meds. They make me stupid, and I still hurt.

Ibuprofen is about all I take. Lots of Ibuprofen.

Sometimes my inversion table helps.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Sciatica

Post by FourPart »

I've still got a sore finger from yesterday.

My chair at work is set fairly high - so much so that the arms are slightly above the level of the desk itself. However, when I sit down, the suspension of the chair takes the arms to the level below the surface of the desk. Anyway, there I was, taking a call. I lean forward to start typing the info in, and that momentary point that I pressed my feet on the ground I took the weight off the chair's suspension, which fired the arms right up into the underside of the desk - which happened to have my fingers on them at the time.

I'm surprised how I managed to control myself from swearing at the woman on the phone at the time.
Oscar Namechange

Sciatica

theia;1470898 wrote: That sounds incredibly painful, Oscar. I haven't suffered from it myself but other people have said it's pretty bad. All I can contribute is to say, look after yourself...maybe you needed to take some time out to rest up a bit from your hectic schedule, to build up your inner resources for your busy year ahead? Just a thought

Thank you for all replies.

Theia, you are probably right as I feel very run down at the moment.

Anne, the cold pack Is something I will try.

Lars, yes, the Tramadol has turned me Into a zombie.

Another bad day today. My brain Is telling me I need to clean the floors or do the dishes but the body says no.

I read on the Internet that an attack can last as long as six weeks.

It's one of those pains where you actually feel sick. Coughing or sneezing causes agony. Nothing they can do, I just have to sit It out.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
valerie

Sciatica

Post by valerie »

A couple of things have helped me, although mine has been very low level for years, the first bout

I actually asked my husband to PLEASE just take me out back and shoot me.

My first bout did take about 6 weeks to get over. I was really restricted in movements by the doctor

but wouldn't really have tried anyway.

I found not sitting on soft surfaces helps. There is too much 'flex' of the nerve with soft, I even put

a piece of plywood under the sofa cushion. And spent a lot of time in my hard wooden rocking

chair.

The other thing, if you can do it, is carefully lean over and touch your toes. It 'opens up' all the little

bones in your spine, and sometimes that brings relief.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Oscar Namechange

Sciatica

valerie;1470949 wrote: A couple of things have helped me, although mine has been very low level for years, the first bout

I actually asked my husband to PLEASE just take me out back and shoot me.

My first bout did take about 6 weeks to get over. I was really restricted in movements by the doctor

but wouldn't really have tried anyway.

I found not sitting on soft surfaces helps. There is too much 'flex' of the nerve with soft, I even put

a piece of plywood under the sofa cushion. And spent a lot of time in my hard wooden rocking

chair.

The other thing, if you can do it, is carefully lean over and touch your toes. It 'opens up' all the little

bones in your spine, and sometimes that brings relief. Thanks Val, that's been most helpful and you know exactly how I feel.

I think the bit about sitting on soft surfaces certainly will help because I have noticed the pain Is worse after I've been sitting on the recliners. I must force myself to sit at the table on a hard dining chair,

I just feel so useless being normally so active. I sit here and can feel a cough coming on and thinking ' oh no please no, no no no ' and bracing myself for the pain about to rip down my back and legs.

To be honest... I always get an attack If I become a little heavy. So being a stone overweight right now Is probably why I am suffering. So I've started the diet and hope that helps.
Kathy Ellen

Sciatica

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hi Julie,

I miss you!!!!! Hope all is good with an Hubby. My love to both of you!

I am so sorry that you are suffering with sciatica and hope you recover soon.

A bit about my bout with sciatica and stenosis....

In 2013, while in my classroom, I felt the most excruciating pain in my left thigh. It felt like someone was sticking knives in my thigh. I went to 2 primary care doctors and both misdiagnosed me. Had to go to work, so I walked on crutches, and the kidlets pushed me in a wheelchair at times for a month. The pain was gone then....miracles do happen..haha.

It was not until November that the pain returned. Thankfully, I was in Florida, and my sister knew wonderful doctors to help me. I went to her 'pain and management doctor for the spine' that I finally understood what was going on with me.

He was so wonderful. He did give me tramadol which worked for me and lessened the pain.

And then, what really worked for me, is when he gave me an epidural. What a miracle for me...pain gone, and I haven't felt any pain since then.

My doctor's advice for me was this.....

Be aware of your environment:

. Stop bending over and lifting stuff.....Use a grabber to lift things.

. Stop thinking that you're superwoman... Ask/pay for help.

You can only do so much is my motto now. Let the chips fall where they may!

Oscar Namechange

Sciatica

Kathy Ellen;1471435 wrote: Hi Julie,

I miss you!!!!! Hope all is good with an Hubby. My love to both of you!

I am so sorry that you are suffering with sciatica and hope you recover soon.

A bit about my bout with sciatica and stenosis....

In 2013, while in my classroom, I felt the most excruciating pain in my left thigh. It felt like someone was sticking knives in my thigh. I went to 2 primary care doctors and both misdiagnosed me. Had to go to work, so I walked on crutches, and the kidlets pushed me in a wheelchair at times for a month. The pain was gone then....miracles do happen..haha.

It was not until November that the pain returned. Thankfully, I was in Florida, and my sister knew wonderful doctors to help me. I went to her 'pain and management doctor for the spine' that I finally understood what was going on with me.

He was so wonderful. He did give me tramadol which worked for me and lessened the pain.

And then, what really worked for me, is when he gave me an epidural. What a miracle for me...pain gone, and I haven't felt any pain since then.

My doctor's advice for me was this.....

Be aware of your environment:

. Stop bending over and lifting stuff.....Use a grabber to lift things.

. Stop thinking that you're superwoman... Ask/pay for help.

You can only do so much is my motto now. Let the chips fall where they may!

Hi Kathy... we miss you too !!!

An epidural ... now that's something worth mentioning to my Doctor If this keeps up.

Very good advice Kathy... Thank you.

This Is one of the busiest times of my life yet I seem to be much better when I am out on the street canvassing and walking around. It's later when I sit down that I really suffer and am still suffering.

Peter does what he can but of course, he's limited also. The worst Is trying to get the 3 dogs fully exercised as Peter can't walk more than a few yards. I may just take your advice and pay someone to walk them.

Keep In touch Kathy... we think of you often :-4:-4:-4
FourPart

Sciatica

Post by FourPart »

There's always acupuncture.
Oscar Namechange

Sciatica

FourPart;1471456 wrote: There's always acupuncture.

Have you tried It ?

Did you feel a prick ?
FourPart

Sciatica

Post by FourPart »

Seriously. My G.P.'s surgery has an Acupuncture Room.
Oscar Namechange

Sciatica

FourPart;1471476 wrote: Seriously. My G.P.'s surgery has an Acupuncture Room.

Does It help Sciatica though ?

I'll look Into It further... Thanks
Betty Boop

Sciatica

Post by Betty Boop »

What about a chiropractor ? Not cheap I know but I found them wonderful when they 'put my muscles' straight a few years ago. After years of suffering on and off hip pain and sciatica at varying degrees they sorted me within one session.

For years my doctor fobbed me off saying it was one of those things and eventually he suspected I would have to have a hip replacement! I was in my late twenties!
FourPart

Sciatica

Post by FourPart »

I know several G.P.s who don't understand how it works, but admit that it has been shown to have a high degree of success with patients.
Oscar Namechange

Sciatica

Thanks Betty and Fourpart.

I am currently going down the route of losing weight. As I said, my attacks seem to co-Incide with those times I get over heavy. Should that fail, I must look for other methods as I can't go on like this . I can be fine for a few days and then bend over to pick something up and bang.
FourPart

Sciatica

Post by FourPart »

I'm finding myself turning more & more to Paracetamols because of headaches. What with a headset on one ear for constant incoming phone calls, and an earpiece in the other for picking up voice mails, the phones constantly ringing, as well as constant talking of other advisers in the office, along with being face to face with the computer screen & strain on my neck all day, it's hardly surprising.

Sure, it's taking its toll, but I'm still getting loads of Job Satisfaction from it all.
Oscar Namechange

Sciatica

FourPart;1471521 wrote: I'm finding myself turning more & more to Paracetamols because of headaches. What with a headset on one ear for constant incoming phone calls, and an earpiece in the other for picking up voice mails, the phones constantly ringing, as well as constant talking of other advisers in the office, along with being face to face with the computer screen & strain on my neck all day, it's hardly surprising.

Sure, it's taking its toll, but I'm still getting loads of Job Satisfaction from it all.
Paracetomol Is bad news mate. Try Co-codomol. Less Paracetomol but with codiene.
Bryn Mawr

Sciatica

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Oscar Namechange;1471523 wrote: Paracetomol Is bad news mate. Try Co-codomol. Less Paracetomol but with codiene.

Be aware that codeine is an opioid and can be addictive even in fairly low dosages.
Oscar Namechange

Sciatica

Bryn Mawr;1471611 wrote: Be aware that codeine is an opioid and can be addictive even in fairly low dosages. Very true Bryn. I am on Codiene Phosphate at the moment but Paracetomol Is so damaging to the liver.

Return to “General Chit Chat”