Breed All About It!

Discussions about your pets!
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

I have thousands and thousands of images I have taken at the Dpk...but you all may be spared :wah:

Don't all applaud at once!

As it seems I am running out of "Maximum Attachment Storage" for this thread. Sigh :-1

So here is another while I can squeeze it in.

His name is Ceasar. Another one of the gentle giants of the Dpk.

Anyone know what breed he is?

Attached files
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

A Dog's questions to God. Which God is dog spelled backwards.:-2

Dear God: Let me give you a list of just some of the things I must remember to be a good dog.

1. I will not eat the cats' food before they eat it or after they throw it up.

2. I will not roll on dead seagulls, fish, crabs, etc. just because I like the way they smell.

3. The litter box is not a cookie jar.

4. The sofa is not a ”face towel.”

5. The garbage collector is not stealing our stuff.

6. I will not play tug-of-war with Dad's underwear when he's on the toilet.

7. Sticking my nose into someone's crotch is an unacceptable way of saying "hello."

8. I don't need to suddenly stand straight up when I'm under the coffee table.

9. I must shake the rainwater out of my fur before entering the house—not after.

10. I will not come in from outside and immediately drag my butt.

11. I will not sit in the middle of the living room and lick my crotch.

12. The cat is not a squeaky toy so when I play with him and he makes that noise, it's usually not a good thing.

P.S. Dear God: When I get to Heaven may I have my testicles back?
Oscar Namechange

Breed All About It!

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Lady J;1456280 wrote: A Dog's questions to God. Which God is dog spelled backwards.:-2

Dear God: Let me give you a list of just some of the things I must remember to be a good dog.

1. I will not eat the cats' food before they eat it or after they throw it up.

2. I will not roll on dead seagulls, fish, crabs, etc. just because I like the way they smell.

3. The litter box is not a cookie jar.

4. The sofa is not a �face towel.�

6. I will not play tug-of-war with Dad's underwear when he's on the toilet.

7. Sticking my nose into someone's crotch is an unacceptable way of saying "hello."

8. I don't need to suddenly stand straight up when I'm under the coffee table.

9. I must shake the rainwater out of my fur before entering the house�not after.

10. I will not come in from outside and immediately drag my butt.

11. I will not sit in the middle of the living room and lick my crotch.

12. The cat is not a squeaky toy so when I play with him and he makes that noise, it's usually not a good thing.

Only a dog owner could write that !!!! Especially the one about standing up under the coffee table. Why do they do that ?

Have to admit, I'm stumped on the breed of dog R
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
jones jones

Breed All About It!

Post by jones jones »

Oscar Farage;1455712 wrote: Butter my arsse... I should have know that... of course.

Hmmm ... rather butter the toast dear! :yh_rotfl
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Wandrin

Breed All About It!

Post by Wandrin »

Lady J;1456280 wrote: A Dog's questions to God. Which God is dog spelled backwards.:-2

He doesn't sound the alarm for the garbage collector, since the barrels are on the street. But if someone steps off the sidewalk into the driveway, even though he can't see it from inside the house, he will sound the alarm. He also knows the UPS truck by its sound and will be on alert ready to bark once they cross the threshold to his "protected space".
Oscar Namechange

Breed All About It!

Wandrin;1456373 wrote: He doesn't sound the alarm for the garbage collector, since the barrels are on the street. But if someone steps off the sidewalk into the driveway, even though he can't see it from inside the house, he will sound the alarm. He also knows the UPS truck by its sound and will be on alert ready to bark once they cross the threshold to his "protected space".
We have a dog waste bin on the edge of the field outside my house for dog walkers which Is emptied by a guy from the council twice a week.

Boy dog knows exactly when he's due and sits by our gate. The moment he hears that truck coming up the Close he kicks off.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Wandrin;1456373 wrote: He doesn't sound the alarm for the garbage collector, since the barrels are on the street. But if someone steps off the sidewalk into the driveway, even though he can't see it from inside the house, he will sound the alarm. He also knows the UPS truck by its sound and will be on alert ready to bark once they cross the threshold to his "protected space".

Dogs are like that. My Zeus will hear things way before I do.

When the mail truck comes he is waiting and I have noticed if the mail is running late he will sit at the front door sidelight and wait. Dogs do run on a schedule. They know when it is time to be walked...time to be fed...and time to watch.
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Oscar Namechange;1456375 wrote: We have a dog waste bin on the edge of the field outside my house for dog walkers which Is emptied by a guy from the council twice a week.

Twice a week! OMG...I hope it is not used a lot. The cans at the Dpk are emptied sometimes every other day :wah:

But then again you have someone from the council empting them....sweet!
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Oscar Namechange;1456294 wrote: Only a dog owner could write that !!!! Especially the one about standing up under the coffee table. Why do they do that ?

Have to admit, I'm stumped on the breed of dog R

Dogs really don't know their size...that is why little dogs think they are big. A dog is a dog to another dog. The coffee table is a 'community place' and therefore a good place to lie. Time to stand up...oops!

Ceasar is a Komondor....he is great! It feels different to rub your hands over him as he is all cords. I have seen them on TV but now I have one for real at the Dpk. Very cool to experience all these different breeds and learn about them.

Komondor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Bad hair day.....ever have one?
jones jones

Breed All About It!

Post by jones jones »

Lulu ... your images as well as your threads/posts about dogs display your love for our best animal friends so well. You are a compassionate lady! Mwaaah!
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
FourPart

Breed All About It!

Post by FourPart »

I'm afraid my knowledge on dogs is very limited, although I know that Poodles were originally bred as fighting dogs, and Dachhunds were bred to hunt badgers (German - Badger Hound).

My Grandmother used to have a black (although greyed with age) wiry mongrel terrier (Trixie), which I was always convinced was the breed she referred to it as - a "New Forest Wolfhound". As a kid I never realised that was an ongoing joke.
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

FourPart;1456651 wrote: I'm afraid my knowledge on dogs is very limited, although I know that Poodles were originally bred as fighting dogs, and Dachhunds were bred to hunt badgers (German - Badger Hound).

My Grandmother used to have a black (although greyed with age) wiry mongrel terrier (Trixie), which I was always convinced was the breed she referred to it as - a "New Forest Wolfhound". As a kid I never realised that was an ongoing joke.
Hi FourPart,

Happy to see you found my thread! Thank you for replying.

You are right on with the history of the Dachshund but where did you get your information about Poodles? They were not bred as fighting dogs...more of a retriever.

Perhaps this link will help.

Poodle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And what was the on-going joke you referred to about the New Forest Wolfhound?

I wonder if it was not a mix with Irish Wolfhound and a terrier?
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

jones jones;1456615 wrote: Lulu ... your images as well as your threads/posts about dogs display your love for our best animal friends so well. You are a compassionate lady! Mwaaah!

Jj You know me better than anyone! You are My Special One! Thank You for being my Love and Friend! :-4

xoxoxoxoxox and a ton of {{{{{{hugz}}}}}}}!
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

OK...what breed is this dog. His name is Jake.
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

FUN FACTS....DID YOU KNOW ~

Dogs are capable of understanding up to 250 words and gestures, can count up to five and can perform simple mathematical calculations. The average dog is as intelligent as a two-year-old child.

Bassethounds are unable to swim very well or safely due in part to their elongated spines, short legs, and dense bodies. When they do swim, they are typically slow and only go a short distance.

Basenjis are the only breed of dog unable to bark. Instead, they yodel.

A Siberian Husky named Pixie once gave birth to a bright green puppy. Yes, really!

Great Danes and Mastiffs were dressed in armored suits and huge spiked collars during the Middle Ages to be used in battles or to defend travelling caravans. Danes were also used to hunt wild boars, which is what they were originally bred for.

AMAZING DOGS! Gotta luv them :-4
FourPart

Breed All About It!

Post by FourPart »

I believe that's a Rotty.

I'm not sure where I originally heard about Poodles being bred as fighting dogs. I remember thinking at the time that it barely seemed plausible. Just one of those things you pick up along the way. Perhaps it was originally intended to be Hunting Dogs instead. You know how these things get handed down by word of mouth.

Come to that, even the idea of a 'cute' Poodle being used as a hunting dog seems a bit unbelievable.

I thought you might like this site.
LarsMac

Breed All About It!

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart;1456738 wrote: I believe that's a Rotty.

I'm not sure where I originally heard about Poodles being bred as fighting dogs. I remember thinking at the time that it barely seemed plausible. Just one of those things you pick up along the way. Perhaps it was originally intended to be Hunting Dogs instead. You know how these things get handed down by word of mouth.

Come to that, even the idea of a 'cute' Poodle being used as a hunting dog seems a bit unbelievable.

I thought you might like this site.

I've never seen such a skinny Rottie. Must be a pup.

I love Rotties. Such fierce-looking and yet such gentle giants, they are, as long as you don't mess with their kids.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Breed All About It!

Post by FourPart »

A mate of mine keeps rotties. He reckons that they have a generally undeserved reputation for being aggressive. However, he also says that once they reach their 'teenage' phase you need to stamp down hard on them to ensure your own position as the Alpha Male, otherwise their pack instincts take over.
Oscar Namechange

Breed All About It!

FourPart;1456744 wrote: A mate of mine keeps rotties. He reckons that they have a generally undeserved reputation for being aggressive. However, he also says that once they reach their 'teenage' phase you need to stamp down hard on them to ensure your own position as the Alpha Male, otherwise their pack instincts take over.

They were originally bred as farm working dogs working together In packs. Originally known as "Rottweil butchers' dogs, they pulled carts.
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Oscar Namechange;1456791 wrote: They were originally bred as farm working dogs working together In packs. Originally known as "Rottweil butchers' dogs, they pulled carts.

100% correct Oscar WhoAmI ? :wah:

and did you know after the railroads came thru and their services were no longer need to pull carts of butchered meat....Oh My! This could go against your thread on religious slaughter but not intended too....just facts about the breed.

Rottweilers are now used as search and rescue dogs, as guide dogs for the blind, as guard dogs or police dogs, and in other roles. :)
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

FourPart;1456744 wrote: A mate of mine keeps rotties. He reckons that they have a generally undeserved reputation for being aggressive. However, he also says that once they reach their 'teenage' phase you need to stamp down hard on them to ensure your own position as the Alpha Male, otherwise their pack instincts take over.

Your mate is correct. "Jake" the puppy Rottweiler did stray off the path and attacked a police dog (of all things!) The owner had to crack down on him to reclaim the Alpha position. All is well now as the owner has him under control. People have to realize when you bring into your life a powerful dog you have to be strong enuf to control them.
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Puppies!!

Who doesn't love a puppy?

This is Max as a puppy and now at one an a half year old!

Max is a Swiss Mountain Dog.

Amazing how they grow :-6

Attached files
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

This is Puppy Audrey - 6 months old...I sometimes wonder about the names people give their dogs...

She is a mixed breed and everyone is trying to figure out what her mix is!

Any suggestions?

Attached files
FourPart

Breed All About It!

Post by FourPart »

As you may recall, I'm a fan of Sungha Jung, a child prodigy with the guitar, and in nearly all his YouTube videos he has his puppy, Coco in frame. In the clearer ones, such as this, she (he?) really seems to be enjoying the music, actually reacting to the more emotional moments.

Oscar Namechange

Breed All About It!

Lady J;1457252 wrote: This is Puppy Audrey - 6 months old...I sometimes wonder about the names people give their dogs...

She is a mixed breed and everyone is trying to figure out what her mix is!

Any suggestions? Is there part Rhodesian Ridgeback In the mix there?
Oscar Namechange

Breed All About It!

Lady J;1457247 wrote: 100% correct Oscar WhoAmI ? :wah:

and did you know after the railroads came thru and their services were no longer need to pull carts of butchered meat....Oh My! This could go against your thread on religious slaughter but not intended too....just facts about the breed.

Rottweilers are now used as search and rescue dogs, as guide dogs for the blind, as guard dogs or police dogs, and in other roles. :)

A guy In my street has a very large Rotty.

Met him out one day and I started petting ' Bently' and rubbing behind his ears. Bently started to growl softly so I said to the dog ' Yes, I know.. you Rottie's always growl with pleasure'. The guy tells me I was the first person he'd met who knew that. He said other people usually crapped themselves.
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Oscar Namechange;1457311 wrote: Is there part Rhodesian Ridgeback In the mix there?

That was my first thought with the forehead wrinkles and color but no ridge down her back....do the females have ridges? The owners were told it was a mixed breed of something that made no sense. The one thing I know is that Audrey is cute and has a good disposition.

Looking at her size (and paws) of six months she is gonna be a good sized dog!

Attached files
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Lady J;1457425 wrote: That was my first thought with the forehead wrinkles and color but no ridge down her back....do the females have ridges? The owners were told it was a mixed breed of something that made no sense. The one thing I know is that Audrey is cute and has a good disposition.

I see 14 guest viewing this and if you are wondering what breed Rhodesian Ridgeback are well here you go. They are feisty and need a lot of control.

I had one coming to the park daily until the owners moved.

Rhodesian Ridgeback - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Here is another breed.

This breed was started in Germany and is a short-haired breed, with a shiny, smooth coat that lies tight to the body. They are a bright, energetic and playful breed and tend to be very good with children and very protective...

What breed am I?

Attached files
LarsMac

Breed All About It!

Post by LarsMac »

Looks like a Boxer.

When I was a kid, there was one down the street from us. Whenever I rode by on my bike, she would chase me, with such ferocity, I was afraid she would drag me off my bike and tear me to pieces.

One time, I stopped, as soon as she saw me. She sat down. I started riding, and she started chasing me. I stopped, she sat. So I spoke to her, and she came over to me, he little nub of a tail wagging.

We became very good friends. After that she would only chase me if I didn't stop to say 'hi'
- DH Lawrence
Oscar Namechange

Breed All About It!

I once lived nest door to a Boxer dog... It was bonkers... so was the one my nephew rescued.
LarsMac

Breed All About It!

Post by LarsMac »

Lady J;1457425 wrote: That was my first thought with the forehead wrinkles and color but no ridge down her back....do the females have ridges? The owners were told it was a mixed breed of something that made no sense. The one thing I know is that Audrey is cute and has a good disposition.

The body shape and hair texture looks a lot like doby, but something else definitely brought the coloration.

And then, I found this:

- DH Lawrence
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Oscar Namechange;1457471 wrote: I once lived nest door to a Boxer dog... It was bonkers... so was the one my nephew rescued.

I have a lady who comes to the Dpk with two boxers and a hound dog...she has to bring her daughter cuz only two dogs per handler....it is a BIG BANG when they come into the park! They race around like crazy dogs, but never cause any problems. Just very hyper..after about 5 minutes the whole park settles down.
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

LarsMac;1457518 wrote: The body shape and hair texture looks a lot like doby, but something else definitely brought the coloration.

And then, I found this:

Very cute pup!! Do you know what breed it is?
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

I thought you might like to see what a dog experience's in an Off-Leash Dog Park. And one of the Patrons of Worthington Dog Park made an excellent video....Enjoy and have some FUN!

Pupi At Worthington Dog Park - YouTube
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Anyone want to take a guess at this breed? This one is named Wile E after the cartoon of Wile E Coyote!

The breed originating in Hungary, and are sporting dogs and loyal companions, in addition to being the smallest of the all-round pointer-retriever breeds.

FourPart

Breed All About It!

Post by FourPart »

Is it a Lurcher?
Oscar Namechange

Breed All About It!

Nope... It looks like a Weimaraner to me.
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

FourPart;1457896 wrote: Is it a Lurcher?

No it is not a Lurcher...but You gave me a new breed to look into as I have never heard of this one!

Thanks FourParts!!
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

Oscar Namechange;1457950 wrote: Nope... It looks like a Weimaraner to me.

Oscar you are soooo close! But I must say it is hard to tell between breeds as so many of them are similar. I would have a hard time if the Owner's didn't keep me straight!:)

This is a Vizsla. I have three of them that visit the Dpk and they are very active and absolutely gorgeous.

Vizsla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

This is Kodhi....he's big and likes to lean on me for rubs:-4

What breed is he?

Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

This is another dog named Bodie.....

This breed's name is derived from the French word bas.
FourPart

Breed All About It!

Post by FourPart »

Kodhi looks like a cross between a Great Dane & a Dalmation.

The other looks like a Beagle to me - don't know anything about Bas though.
FourPart

Breed All About It!

Post by FourPart »

This is the Wiki page about Lurchers. You can see why I thoughts what it was.

Lurcher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oscar Namechange

Breed All About It!

Kohdi looks like a Pakistani Mastiff to me but I bet I'm wrong.

Bodi looks like a Bassett Hound
LarsMac

Breed All About It!

Post by LarsMac »

Lady J;1457722 wrote: Very cute pup!! Do you know what breed it is?

That is an Egypt Pharoah Hound. Physically, they look like a cross between a Dobie and a Greyhound, but with thicoppery brown coat. Not unlike your pup from earlier.
- DH Lawrence
Snowfire

Breed All About It!

Post by Snowfire »

Lady J;1458111 wrote: Oscar you are soooo close! But I must say it is hard to tell between breeds as so many of them are similar. I would have a hard time if the Owner's didn't keep me straight!:)

This is a Vizsla. I have three of them that visit the Dpk and they are very active and absolutely gorgeous.

Vizsla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My next door neighbour had a Hungarian Vizsla. Apparently very easy to train and didnt bark. A little boisterous and afraid of his own shadow but very sociable and friendly.

He looked a little different from the photo though and I agreed with Oscar and though it was a Weimaraner
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
FourPart

Breed All About It!

Post by FourPart »

Oscar Namechange;1458121 wrote:

Bodi looks like a Bassett Hound
That's what I meant to say. Don't know why I said Beagle - maybe because they both begin with 'B'.
Lady J

Breed All About It!

Post by Lady J »

FourPart;1458116 wrote: Kodhi looks like a cross between a Great Dane & a Dalmation.

Hi FourPart!

Kodhi is a Great Dane just with spots! :wah:

I have 6 that visit the Dpk. There is Echo who also is white with black spots, Codie who is mostly brown, of course Kodhi and two all black ones.

Return to “The Pets In Our Lives”