The Top of America

A forum to discuss local issues in ME, VT, NH, MA, CT, RI, NY, PA, NJ, DE, MD, DC
tabby

The Top of America

Post by tabby »

Some fabulous panoramic shots from the new World Trade Center.

Zoom in, zoom out, circle around and even look straight up at the sky!

If you click the button at the bottom of the page, you'll get a menu with the various stages of construction. I'll never fathom how those construction workers can manage to focus on their work that high in the air.

1 World Trade Center: TIME’s View From The Top Of NYC - TIME
Saint_

The Top of America

Post by Saint_ »

Awesome Tabby. I was reading the article in Time this morning and, sure enough just as I get to school, there's the link. I'm posting to our school news and showing it to the kids today. Thanks.
tabby

The Top of America

Post by tabby »

You're welcome, Saint_ ... I hope your students enjoy the view!

Do you see yourself ever visiting there? I'd have to get over my intense dislike of elevators first!

Translation:

Intense dislike = Stark fear

:yh_nailbi
Bruv

The Top of America

Post by Bruv »

I am impressed it is a stunning achievement.

Then my second thought......why ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Saint_

The Top of America

Post by Saint_ »

I, too, am pondering the psychological implications of building America's tallest building on the spot of America's greatest tragedy involving it's tallest buildings. But I guess it's the obvious reason, right? If you fall off a horse, you get right back on again. (13 years later, but better late than never.) Osama Bin Laden is dead, Afghanistan is in ruins, and the tallest building in America again stands in the same place as the old ones. (Only one tower instead of two, which kind of gives the impression of a proud, but wounded fighter.) All in all, it says "America is back!" To me it says even more, "Do your worst, we'll be back every time."

I do like the symbology of the building, in that it is a sort of giant finger, flipping off the world. What I don't like and never have is that the memorial to the tragedy is two black holes in the ground with water flowing down them. Depressing and self-pitying, I'd say. What would have been wrong with something like a church or cathedral? Or how about giant fountains the spray up into the air, or even something with powerful lights?
Bruv

The Top of America

Post by Bruv »

I wasn't trying to be contentious, I just find the building of tall buildings 'Just because we can' pointless posturing, especially when you see the list of countries that have the highest, kind of reminds me of the biblical tower of Babel.
Wandrin

The Top of America

Post by Wandrin »

I think I've lived in California too long. When I see a picture like that, I immediately imagine what it would look like after a 9.0 earthquake.
Saint_

The Top of America

Post by Saint_ »

Bruv;1449889 wrote: I wasn't trying to be contentious, I just find the building of tall buildings 'Just because we can' pointless posturing, especially when you see the list of countries that have the highest, kind of reminds me of the biblical tower of Babel.

Yeah, I kind of agree. On the other hand, though, every civilization since the dawn of time has built something big "because we can." Pyramids, colosseums, Parthenons, cathedrals.. you name it. And isn't it usually, because we can?
Bruv

The Top of America

Post by Bruv »

Saint_;1449921 wrote: Yeah, I kind of agree. On the other hand, though, every civilization since the dawn of time has built something big "because we can." Pyramids, colosseums, Parthenons, cathedrals.. you name it. And isn't it usually, because we can?

All those were places of worship or temples to mammon so to speak........oh yeah....now I am getting the theme.
Bryn Mawr

The Top of America

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1449927 wrote: All those were places of worship or temples to mammon so to speak........oh yeah....now I am getting the theme.

Colosseums?
Bruv

The Top of America

Post by Bruv »

Bryn Mawr;1449929 wrote: Colosseums?

Places of entertainment.............. to keep the proleteriat happy....bread and circuses...............a tool like the other Temples.

Return to “New England / Mid Atlantic”