House/Homes Forums

AnneBoleyn

House/Homes Forums

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Betty Boop;1457229 wrote: I'm laughing cos they will probably still be there next time I move. Moving is hell and takes so much time, I reckon we all stop unpacking before we're done :D

:yh_kiss

As long as you're Laughing!
Týr

House/Homes Forums

Post by Týr »

Right, the removal truck's loaded and just pulling out of the road. My ideal next step is to stay in this emptied house and not go at all, that way I have no unpacking to do anywhere.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
Týr

House/Homes Forums

Post by Týr »

That was a month back and I've still not finished the legal fandango on my new place. I might ring around tomorrow and jolly them along. Living out of a suitcase is okay but I ought to get finished with it.
Týr

House/Homes Forums

Post by Týr »

Well, I got the keys to the new places finally. I've taken a few snaps.

There's a main building, and an annexe, and spare accommodation in a three-bedroom two-floor house on a holiday site out of town. I haven't taken a camera out to the holiday let yet but the main building is like this...

Snowfire

House/Homes Forums

Post by Snowfire »

Looks like a former school building. Impressive size by the looks of it
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Týr

House/Homes Forums

Post by Týr »

Snowfire;1460546 wrote: Looks like a former school building. Impressive size by the looks of it

It was opened as a school in 1926 but this sort of place has gone out of fashion among the teaching fraternity. I'll set up a couple of bedrooms and refurbish the kitchen after I've licked paint onto the walls. The floors have never been sanded - the knots are distinctly raised over the worn-down wood - so all I'm planning to do is give them a cleaning skim rather than a leveling, and then apply a seal. I know sod-all about sealing floors, I need a book.

The annexe has a damp back wall where a chimney-stack is letting in far too much rain. I'm open to suggestions on that.
AnneBoleyn

House/Homes Forums

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Wow, it's Huge! How many bathrooms does it have? Are they full baths, w/tub, shower? I'm assuming there is more than one for a place of this size! And, you are doing all, or most of the work yourself, or hiring?

Best of luck in your new home! I should send you a mezuzah!
Snowfire

House/Homes Forums

Post by Snowfire »

I have a chimney stack that lets in the rain when its blown from the south. I should get up there and check the flashing but I only ever remember when its leaks in the loft room occasionally. Chimney stacks are a weak point for weather, being so exposed, so flashing needs checking and maybe a re-point (brick joints that is)
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Týr

House/Homes Forums

Post by Týr »

AnneBoleyn;1460553 wrote: Wow, it's Huge! How many bathrooms does it have?It has several urinals, being of its time. It has no showers, no baths, a proliferation of sinks. One of the jobs will be removing what's there and tiling the spaces, which ought to give a shower room attached to each bedroom. I chatted with a plumber on Monday.
AnneBoleyn

House/Homes Forums

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Urinals? Toilets too, I hope!
Týr

House/Homes Forums

Post by Týr »

AnneBoleyn;1460557 wrote: Urinals? Toilets too, I hope!Several, but they're being retired for more modern versions.

I know this is a big photo but it's a detail from one of the windows in the other building, and resizing it down loses the effect.

Bruv

House/Homes Forums

Post by Bruv »

How did I miss this thread ?

I am intriqued, how do you keep a place like that warm ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Týr

House/Homes Forums

Post by Týr »

Bruv;1460560 wrote: I am intriqued, how do you keep a place like that warm ?I have my doubts that it's possible. I'll try an Air Source Heat Pump in part of the building and see how it copes with the first winter. I've no intention of heating the main hall - there are radiant wall-heaters for the two or three hours I might have a lot of people in there with snow outside.
Týr

House/Homes Forums

Post by Týr »

Snowfire;1460555 wrote: I should get up there and check the flashing but I only ever remember when its leaks in the loft room occasionally.
I bought a scaffold tower today.

I hate heights. I might take a one-day course on how to use it.
G#Gill

House/Homes Forums

Post by G#Gill »

Wow, Týr, that looks a wonderful building ! I'm curious though, because when you first mentioned that you had your house on the market you said you were down-sizing ! Just looking at your photos confuses me a little - down-sizing ? Any way, all the best with what you plan for this fascinating building.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
AnneBoleyn

House/Homes Forums

Post by AnneBoleyn »

The window is exceptional. Beautiful.
Týr

House/Homes Forums

Post by Týr »

Downsizing was definitely the intention but this was an irresistible decision once I'd seen it. There's a line from Lonny Donegan that has to be appropriate, let me stretch my memory... We said here, hang on Dad, you're getting past your prime - he said well when you get my age it helps to pass the time.
Týr

House/Homes Forums

Post by Týr »

AnneBoleyn;1460568 wrote: The window is exceptional. Beautiful.

That font at the bottom is pure William Morris, I reckon. He and his mates invented a clean Gothic look all of their own.
Bruv

House/Homes Forums

Post by Bruv »

Týr;1460570 wrote: Downsizing was definitely the intention but this was an irresistible decision once I'd seen it. There's a line from Lonny Donegan that has to be appropriate, let me stretch my memory... We said here, hang on Dad, you're getting past your prime - he said well when you get my age it helps to pass the time.

For those that might be at a loss, the full lyrics concerning 'passing the time'

Though my old man's a dustman

He's got a heart of gold

He got married recently

Though he's 86 years old

We said 'Ear! Hang on Dad

you're getting past your prime'

He said 'Well when you get to my age'

'It helps to pass the time'

Is that the correct song ?
Týr

House/Homes Forums

Post by Týr »

Bruv;1460572 wrote: Is that the correct song ?
So long as we point out the existence of one error in each of the first four lines, that's the one. I remember buying it when it came out.
G#Gill

House/Homes Forums

Post by G#Gill »

Týr;1460573 wrote: So long as we point out the existence of one error in each of the first four lines, that's the one. I remember buying it when it came out.

You've got an awfully long memory Týr ! Oops.................... "My Old Man's A Dustman" by Lonnie Donegan
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
FourPart

House/Homes Forums

Post by FourPart »

I remember I had a Lonnie Donegan record (in fact, I think I've still got it somewhere) to which the 'B' side was "Michael Row The Boat", but the 'A' side was "Lumbered", which was a twist on the song from Anthony Newley's "Stop The World I Want To Get Off".

This is the original version:

And this is Lonnie Donegan's version:

I far prefer Lonnie's version.
Týr

House/Homes Forums

Post by Týr »

FourPart;1460603 wrote: I far prefer Lonnie's version.

The very notion of a B side dates you terribly. The other side of My Old Man's a Dustman was the Cumberland Gap, he stamped his style on both of them.

The track of his that I most admire is Nobody's Child, he really went to bluestown on that one.
FourPart

House/Homes Forums

Post by FourPart »

I'm sure I had a copy of Cumberland Gap, but I don't remember it being with My Old Man's a Dustman.

One I do remember having was "They're Coming To Take Me Away, Ha-Ha", where the 'B' side was the same song being played backwards / mirror imaged.
FourPart

House/Homes Forums

Post by FourPart »

I just remembered - "Cumberland Gap" was the 'A' Side - "Does Your Chewing Gum Lose It's Flavour On The Bedpost Overnight" was the 'B' Side
Týr

House/Homes Forums

Post by Týr »

FourPart;1460605 wrote: One I do remember having was "They're Coming To Take Me Away, Ha-Ha", where the 'B' side was the same song being played backwards / mirror imaged.I remember it being banned by the BBC around the same time they banned Max Romeo's Lay Down Girl. They're Coming To Take Me Away was Jonathan King though he used an alias, not unreasonably. Napoleon the somethingth.
Bruv

House/Homes Forums

Post by Bruv »

And he did "Freight Train" at the same time as Nancy Whiskey.

At that time you could find several versions of the same record in the charts at the same time.............can't recall any right now.....but trust me.
LarsMac

House/Homes Forums

Post by LarsMac »

I am a bit behind on this thread, but I seem to recall you saying you were down-sizing with this move.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

House/Homes Forums

Post by AnneBoleyn »

LarsMac;1460653 wrote: I am a bit behind on this thread, but I seem to recall you saying you were down-sizing with this move.

He said that on 'Opposite Day.'
LarsMac

House/Homes Forums

Post by LarsMac »

AnneBoleyn;1460657 wrote: He said that on 'Opposite Day.'

Ah, I see. I think. Or, that is, I think I see.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “Request A New Forum Here”