Why Is The Eff-Word So Popular In The Movies?

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Its almost a given today that in most movie dramas the F-word will be uttered by men, women, teenagers and even children. Personally I can't say that I enjoy listening to it.

Like graphic violence I prefer it to be used less than more.

Take Martin Scorsese's "The Wolf of Wall Street." This Golden Globe winner can boast one other movie record ... the most F-words. No less than 506 of them in all.

When I first became interested in writing, I was advised to use this expletive sparingly as it would then have some "shock" value.

Hearing it spoken four or five times every minute in a movie is a bit too much in my opinion.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

I think it's because the "F" word can mean or describe almost anything with just the one word depending on the circumstance and/or the inflection when said.

Ya effen get me?
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I did write a reasonable sized post, but for some chuffin' reason FGarden decided to log me out !!!!! So I lost it, and I can't be arsed to type it all out again.

Anyway, basically what I said was that I agreed with Jj.

My dad (who very rarely swore) always used to say that anybody who uses abusive language on a regular basis is obviously not capable of using the correct English language, and just gives the impression that they have very little intelligence ! I agree !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I often find it distracting.

Sure, once in a while, it might fit into the dialogue and help with the atmosphere or something, but it has been so over-used.

That was my main problem with the HBO series, Deadwood. The main character could not seem to string three words together without at least one if them being some form of the term.

Some films have tossed the word in a few times just to get the rating bumped from a G to a PG, or PG to an R.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

It's Fun to say, probably because when I was young, it was actually illegal. Anyone remember the Free Speech Movement at Berkeley in 1964?

It's a noun, verb, adverb, adjective, it's a great word. Like any other good thing, it's best appreciated in moderation.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Some people use it so much it's almost a verbal punctuation mark rather than swearing. Others think it makes them sound hard. No offence but americans can't really swear properly

Peter Capaldi, New 'Doctor Who,' Likes to Swear - YouTube
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

gmc: "No offence but americans can't really swear properly"

F You!

I don't like the word so much when it's used in anger.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

gmc;1444497 wrote: ... No offence but americans can't really swear properly

Wha'dya, mean we can't swear?

- DH Lawrence
gmc

Post by gmc »

LarsMac;1444550 wrote: Wha'dya, mean we can't swear?

:yh_rotflNote to self: resist temptation to use american and windbag in same sentence:lips:

posted by anne boleyn

gmc: "No offence but americans can't really swear properly"

F You!

I don't like the word so much when it's used in anger.

See what I mean you can't even spell it properly.

I try not to swear bit sometimes find myself in a work environment where it is endemic it's hard not to fall in to the habit.

Mind you the last time a cyclist went through a red light in front of me and I nearly hit him being able to swear did make me feel better.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

gmc: "See what I mean you can't even spell it properly."

Eff you???
gmc

Post by gmc »

AnneBoleyn;1444740 wrote: gmc: "See what I mean you can't even spell it properly."

Eff you???

That's girly kind of swearing. Like I want to swear but I'm too cultured to use the proper word.

along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

The word doesn't have the same shock value it did years ago. It's just annoying when it is constantly used in conversations. You want to scream, "Ah! Get to the point!"

You know what I mean? :wah:
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

along-for-the-ride;1444891 wrote: The word doesn't have the same shock value it did years ago. It's just annoying when it is constantly used in conversations. You want to scream, "Ah! Get to the point!"

You know what I mean? :wah:

I surely do hun ... Its like part of every day vocabulary now and is used by both men and women in any conversation. In my day one never cursed in front of a lady unless you had known her for a long time!
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I must be very fortunate. I live among people who simply do not use foul language often.

If it were not for the occasional trip to the movies, I can go weeks without hearing any vile language.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”