Those Who Are Longer Here ...

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

... well in the guise that we knew them.

How about us making a list of past members we remember who are no longer logging in?

I remember so many ... pinkchick, Jimbo, Hope6, Carolly, Chezzie, Betty967, Shelbell, kinks, koochikoo, SuzyB ...
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Here is a similar thread from awhile back..

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/membe ... ember.html
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

YZGI;1442574 wrote: Here is a similar thread from awhile back..

True ... but I'm looking a bit further back like to 2008 ...
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Shellbel is still alive and kicking .
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

YZGI;1442574 wrote: Here is a similar thread from awhile back..

And I'm actually hoping that they maybe pop on here and say hello.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

That one was started in 2007.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

YZGI;1442581 wrote: That one was started in 2007.

Sigh! Whatever man ... Jeez!
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

jones jones;1442582 wrote: Sigh! Whatever man ... Jeez!

Agreed
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I have them as friends at Facebook, but I miss our Jimbo and nomad here at Forum Garden.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
along-for-the-ride

To visit old Forum Garden friends, follow this thread:

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/holid ... -tree.html

:)
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

I'm here! :wah:
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Hope6;1442979 wrote: I'm here! :wah:

Ah Georgia! How totally awesome to see you here again.

Remember in the bad ol' days when Jesse James, Wyatt Earp and their posse were after me here on FG, hunting me down like a wild dog?

You were the one who stood by me thru thick and thin and gave me shelter!

Never ever forgot that Boo Boo!

Mwaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

My husband Is friends with Nomad on Facebook. He's still living In a shack wearing a tin hat and carrying out covert operations for the Minnisotta Extra-terrestrial Investigation Department.

I miss Red Glitter here but can talk to her also on Facebook.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Wendy still running purple brownes on facebook? A lot of old members are there.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

jones jones;1442572 wrote: ... well in the guise that we knew them.

How about us making a list of past members we remember who are no longer logging in?

I remember so many ... pinkchick, Jimbo, Hope6, Carolly, Chezzie, Betty967, Shelbell, kinks, koochikoo, SuzyB ...

You mention Carolly, JJ, well strangely this evening (Mon. 23 Dec.) I heard from a friend of hers in reply to a Christmas card I had sent addressed to Carol (Carolly). Sadly I have to say that Carol died of cancer in August this year. She became quite ill and discovered, too late for any medical help, that she had cancer. She cut herself off from friends because she didn't want people fussing. I always wondered why she never replied to my e-cards and an e-mail. For those who remember the Friends Of Carol thread - the longest and probably the most popular thread that ever was on Forum Garden - and who managed to cope with Carol's cockney sense of humour and 'earthy' language, will no doubt have fond memories of some really good fun times on that thread. We had to restart the FOC thread from scratch and the original FOC thread (Part 1) is, in fact, in the archives. This was because it had become too big and seemed to be causing a problem technically ! I expect Bryn Mawr will be able to explain that a lot better than I could, if anybody's interested.

Any way, Carol was a 'one off', and basically a law unto herself. If you didn't like it you would have to lump it ! Carol spoke her mind and mostly in vernacular ! She was blessed with a good voice and there are a couple of her renditions on Youtube - Carol sings ................... An interesting one is ' Maybe This Time'.

I feel very pleased to have been able to call her my friend, and I shall miss her greatly. There were quite a few people who didn't like Carol very much, mainly because they didn't understand the way she ticked, or her cockney sense of humour, but I have to say there were many more who did like her, and her sense of humour, and her 'earthy' language that didn't seem offensive coming from Carol ! She called a spade a spade !

Rest in peace, Carol. The torments that life dealt you are no more. You left your mark !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
valerie

Post by valerie »

That makes me very sad to hear. But thank you for letting us know.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Lady J

Post by Lady J »

Sadly I did not know Carolly but by your tribute Gill I recognize an individual who was apparently fun living! my condolences to the family and FG members who knew her.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

G#Gill;1443141 wrote: You mention Carolly, JJ, well strangely this evening (Mon. 23 Dec.) I heard from a friend of hers in reply to a Christmas card I had sent addressed to Carol (Carolly). Sadly I have to say that Carol died of cancer in August this year. She became quite ill and discovered, too late for any medical help, that she had cancer. She cut herself off from friends because she didn't want people fussing. I always wondered why she never replied to my e-cards and an e-mail. For those who remember the Friends Of Carol thread - the longest and probably the most popular thread that ever was on Forum Garden - and who managed to cope with Carol's cockney sense of humour and 'earthy' language, will no doubt have fond memories of some really good fun times on that thread. We had to restart the FOC thread from scratch and the original FOC thread (Part 1) is, in fact, in the archives. This was because it had become too big and seemed to be causing a problem technically ! I expect Bryn Mawr will be able to explain that a lot better than I could, if anybody's interested.

Any way, Carol was a 'one off', and basically a law unto herself. If you didn't like it you would have to lump it ! Carol spoke her mind and mostly in vernacular ! She was blessed with a good voice and there are a couple of her renditions on Youtube - Carol sings ................... An interesting one is ' Maybe This Time'.

I feel very pleased to have been able to call her my friend, and I shall miss her greatly. There were quite a few people who didn't like Carol very much, mainly because they didn't understand the way she ticked, or her cockney sense of humour, but I have to say there were many more who did like her, and her sense of humour, and her 'earthy' language that didn't seem offensive coming from Carol ! She called a spade a spade !

Rest in peace, Carol. The torments that life dealt you are no more. You left your mark !

Wow Gilly ... I am so sad to hear the news about Carol. I really did enjoy interacting with her here as Carolly especially on that awesome thread FOC that you created for her.

As you say, they broke the mould after her and she was a one of a kind lady who stood for what she believed in and never waivered.

And what an awesome singing voice she had!

RIP Carolly!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Thank you for that JJ.

BTW, JJ - Didn't you mean to type the title :- Those Who Are No Longer Here ? It just seems strange the way you have typed it. Maybe it can be altered by the 'edit' button, or maybe you will have to ask Bryn Mawr to alter it for you.

Just a thought ;)
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

omg what a shock to hear of carols passing...we had some good laughs..we rang each other a few times and skyped a few times, never laughed so much but then had a falling out and never heard from her again..may she RIP xoxo
FOC THREAD PART 1
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

That's sad news, thanks for letting us know Gill. RIP Carolly :yh_flower
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

G#Gill;1443181 wrote: Thank you for that JJ.

BTW, JJ - Didn't you mean to type the title :- Those Who Are No Longer Here ? It just seems strange the way you have typed it. Maybe it can be altered by the 'edit' button, or maybe you will have to ask Bryn Mawr to alter it for you.

Just a thought ;)

Okay Gilly ... This is a perfect time for you to return permanently to FG.

I will start a thread for you called FOG ... "Friends of Gill" in memory of Carol and I will post on it full time.

How about it hon? Please say yes!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

jones jones;1443225 wrote: Okay Gilly ... This is a perfect time for you to return permanently to FG.

I will start a thread for you called FOG ... "Friends of Gill" in memory of Carol and I will post on it full time.

How about it hon? Please say yes!

JJ, as you know, Carol was a one-off ! Her thread "Friends of Carol" was started by me when we first escaped from the nastiness of a forum (which now no longer exists, thank goodness) back in 2007. Carol had been bullied for months by certain pathetic ne'er-do-wells, and of course anybody associated with her came in for quite a bit of hammer from these pratts as well. So we all evacuated to Forum Garden. However, after a few years, there seemed to be an undertone of iffiness creeping in to the Garden, and there were various incidents of upset, which was a shame. I'm not sure about the main reason for Carol upping sticks and leaving, but shortly after Carol left, several more members went - not enjoying the bad-tempered arguments that occurred from time to time, and the various insults that started to creep in. At that time, I was a moderator, and I remember getting very little back-up from other moderators over certain stuff, except for one mod. who is still here thank goodness, and who will always have my respect for him being fair and not judgemental.

You will no doubt realise, JJ, that some moderators who 'attacked' me then, are still here. Some post fairly regularly while others are probably busy on other forums or with personal things - I feel grateful for FaceBook for seducing certain people away from FG, as I have always said that I would not go on FB, for personal reasons, so I would not have to associate with those particular ex-members of FG. Although, having said that, there are one or two ex-members of FG on FaceBook now, that I really do miss !

I hope you realise from what I have just said, JJ, that I don't think it would be appropriate to start a thread that would be a sort of FOC but changed to FOG, because there will never be another FOC Friends of Carol. An attempt to try to re-establish the format of FOC, for whatever reason, would not work. This is because, as you know, there was only one Carolly (Carol), she put her stamp on it, she made it what it became, she was an enigma. There was nobody like her on FG, and I dare say a few of the moderators would have said thank goodness to that ! I am aware that when that thread was first started and Carol posted with words like 'bleedin' 'FFS' and numerous other cockney type phrases, the moderators were discussing pulling the thread ! However, as time went on I think they realised that even though quite a bit of the thread was in the vernacular, it was fairly harmless stuff - at least it was not malicious but meant to be taken in fun, and the 'mock' verbal insult battles between us were just that - 'mock' and 'in fun' banter. There really were some hilarious contributions in the FOC thread, and I honestly cannot visualise another thread like it. Carol has died and the FOC thread is no more (except in the archives). It was, after all, "Carol's Thread" with apologies to Forum Garden as all the threads in FG, belong to Forum Garden !

Also, how many other threads on Forum Garden can boast having as many as 100 + posts in one day ?

I take it as a huge compliment, JJ, that you want to start a similar thread to FOC, and thank you sincerely for the thought. But there is no way that I could come back to such a thread, in truth. If I do return on a more regular basis, it would be popping in to threads that I may wish to contribute to in one way or another.

Once again, thank you for the thought, and here's me thinkin' you didn't care !!! ;)
Týr

Post by Týr »

jones jones;1442572 wrote: ... well in the guise that we knew them.
If this encompasses a suggestion that spot returns, it can be arranged.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
along-for-the-ride

I am also sorry to hear that Carol passed away. I liked her and have already missed her.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

[QUOTE=G#Gill;1443141]You mention Carolly, JJ, well strangely this evening (Mon. 23 Dec.) I heard from a friend of hers in reply to a Christmas card I had sent addressed to Carol (Carolly). Sadly I have to say that Carol died of cancer in August this year. She became quite ill and discovered, too late for any medical help, that she had cancer. She cut herself off from friends because she didn't want people fussing.

Hi Gill, It's so good to see you and thanks a million for sending a lovely card to me.

I'm so glad that you let us know about Carol. I was thinking of calling her over the holidays as I haven't spoken to her in a long, long time.

I hope that Carol didn't suffer too much pain, and that Chris is ok. He must miss her terribly.

Thanks so much xxx
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

kayleneaussie;1443201 wrote: omg what a shock to hear of carols passing...we had some good laughs..we rang each other a few times and skyped a few tixmes, never laughed so much but then had a falling out and never heard from her again..may she RIP xoxo

(((((Kayleen))))) It's so good to see you!!!!!!!!!! Are you no longer on FB. Don't see you often :-( Hope all is good with you and family. I miss you xxx
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Kathy Ellen:

Oh, glad to hear you are still around! Haven't seen or heard anything since Sandy, other than that you got out in time but lost everything (I think it was you who posted to that effect)

Hope you enjoyed Ison. :D
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
kayleneaussie

Post by kayleneaussie »

Hi Kathy,

yes still on FB but some reason lost a few people, dont know what happened...try adding me again....Havent been round much as my youngest son Daniel well his baby girl has brain cancer and has just finished her chemo, has her MRI and Lp end of January so fingers crossed she is ok....she turns 2 in Jan but is only as big as an 8 month old.....Hope you had a lovely Christmas xoxoxo
FOC THREAD PART 1
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Týr;1443235 wrote: If this encompasses a suggestion that spot returns, it can be arranged.

Spot has left FG? I hadn't noticed.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

G#Gill;1443231 wrote: JJ, as you know, Carol was a one-off ! Her thread "Friends of Carol" was started by me when we first escaped from the nastiness of a forum (which now no longer exists, thank goodness) back in 2007. Carol had been bullied for months by certain pathetic ne'er-do-wells, and of course anybody associated with her came in for quite a bit of hammer from these pratts as well. So we all evacuated to Forum Garden. However, after a few years, there seemed to be an undertone of iffiness creeping in to the Garden, and there were various incidents of upset, which was a shame. I'm not sure about the main reason for Carol upping sticks and leaving, but shortly after Carol left, several more members went - not enjoying the bad-tempered arguments that occurred from time to time, and the various insults that started to creep in. At that time, I was a moderator, and I remember getting very little back-up from other moderators over certain stuff, except for one mod. who is still here thank goodness, and who will always have my respect for him being fair and not judgemental.

You will no doubt realise, JJ, that some moderators who 'attacked' me then, are still here. Some post fairly regularly while others are probably busy on other forums or with personal things - I feel grateful for FaceBook for seducing certain people away from FG, as I have always said that I would not go on FB, for personal reasons, so I would not have to associate with those particular ex-members of FG. Although, having said that, there are one or two ex-members of FG on FaceBook now, that I really do miss !

I hope you realise from what I have just said, JJ, that I don't think it would be appropriate to start a thread that would be a sort of FOC but changed to FOG, because there will never be another FOC Friends of Carol. An attempt to try to re-establish the format of FOC, for whatever reason, would not work. This is because, as you know, there was only one Carolly (Carol), she put her stamp on it, she made it what it became, she was an enigma. There was nobody like her on FG, and I dare say a few of the moderators would have said thank goodness to that ! I am aware that when that thread was first started and Carol posted with words like 'bleedin' 'FFS' and numerous other cockney type phrases, the moderators were discussing pulling the thread ! However, as time went on I think they realised that even though quite a bit of the thread was in the vernacular, it was fairly harmless stuff - at least it was not malicious but meant to be taken in fun, and the 'mock' verbal insult battles between us were just that - 'mock' and 'in fun' banter. There really were some hilarious contributions in the FOC thread, and I honestly cannot visualise another thread like it. Carol has died and the FOC thread is no more (except in the archives). It was, after all, "Carol's Thread" with apologies to Forum Garden as all the threads in FG, belong to Forum Garden !

Also, how many other threads on Forum Garden can boast having as many as 100 + posts in one day ?

I take it as a huge compliment, JJ, that you want to start a similar thread to FOC, and thank you sincerely for the thought. But there is no way that I could come back to such a thread, in truth. If I do return on a more regular basis, it would be popping in to threads that I may wish to contribute to in one way or another.

Once again, thank you for the thought, and here's me thinkin' you didn't care !!! ;)

That's okay Gilly ... It was just a thought!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

jones jones;1443328 wrote: Spot has left FG? I hadn't noticed.

Jj, you are very naughty ! :yh_rotfl
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Speaking of a Cockney sense of humor, I miss Pantsonfire.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Yeah, Whatever happened to Pants
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Any way, Carol was a 'one off', and basically a law unto herself. If you didn't like it you would have to lump it ! Carol spoke her mind and mostly in vernacular ! She was blessed with a good voice and there are a couple of her renditions on Youtube - Carol sings ................... An interesting one is ' Maybe This Time'. Quote

MAYBE THIS TIME - YouTube
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

G#Gill;1443438 wrote: Quote

Any way, Carol was a 'one off', and basically a law unto herself. If you didn't like it you would have to lump it ! Carol spoke her mind and mostly in vernacular ! She was blessed with a good voice and there are a couple of her renditions on Youtube - Carol sings ................... An interesting one is ' Maybe This Time'. Quote

WOW! Blow me away!

Thank you for posting this Gill!

I have heard sooooo much of her voice and her personality and this video gave me a bit of better understanding. thank you.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Clodhopper;1443250 wrote: Kathy Ellen:

Oh, glad to hear you are still around! Haven't seen or heard anything since Sandy, other than that you got out in time but lost everything (I think it was you who posted to that effect)

Hope you enjoyed Ison. :D

Thanks so much Clod, it's great to see you also!!!

Yes, I've recovered from the hurricane Sandy, but my town is still trying to recover.

No, thankfully I didn't lose everything. Luckily my home had a crawlspace that was anywhere the height of 3 ft. to 5 ft. I had 4 ft. of water in my crawlspace. Unfortunately, my hot water heater and boiler were down there. So, that took a long time to fix plus cleaning up the black mold.

Couldn't see Ison...too cloudy here.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

G#Gill;1443438 wrote: Quote

Tragic news, Carolly will be remembered for always :-

along-for-the-ride

Where's Tombstone?
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

along-for-the-ride;1443664 wrote: Where's Tombstone?

Didn't he just up and leave without saying goodby??
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

along-for-the-ride;1443664 wrote: Where's Tombstone?

He dropped in for a look round a few times after the move but didn't post.

I think he's too busy with his business ventures and has moved on.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Bryn Mawr;1443677 wrote: He dropped in for a look round a few times after the move but didn't post.

I think he's too busy with his business ventures and has moved on.

Too bad he moved on so quickly. It would have been nice to stop and say hello and thanks for all of your support for my forum. That's what he should have done, I believe. Alas, life moves on.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

Awww how sweet of you to remember, Mwaaaaah back to you honey! :)
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

OMG!!!! I am so saddened by this! Carol was one of my first friends here, along with you Gill and the other girls from the friends of Carol thread. I wondered why when I would come here I never could get in contact with her, the pms were always turned off. I can honestly say I loved Carol, I loved her way, I learned so much from her. I am truly devastated to hear this.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

Maybe someone could find that thread that we did back then that had our pictures in it, that had Carols beautiful voice singing, From a Distance. That would be a beautiful tribute to her.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Hope6;1444127 wrote: Maybe someone could find that thread that we did back then that had our pictures in it, that had Carols beautiful voice singing, From a Distance. That would be a beautiful tribute to her.

FG Video Aug 2008 - YouTube
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Snooz;1443418 wrote: Speaking of a Cockney sense of humor, I miss Pantsonfire.

And me... I miss her here but had the pleasure of her friendship elsewhere.

Of course, I miss Linda... Lady Cop since she died and Clancy... what ever happened to Clancy ??? And Atrospohy... where's he ?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Hope6;1444127 wrote: Maybe someone could find that thread that we did back then that had our pictures in it, that had Carols beautiful voice singing, From a Distance. That would be a beautiful tribute to her.

I watched & listened to the video, then saw your comment, Hope. I assumed the voice was that of a professional, Carolly was that good! Nothing amateurish about her performance, I would have paid to see her. Thanks, Hope & Bryn.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

Thank you Bryn I'm going to go watch it, to hear her one more time.
Hope6

Post by Hope6 »

I know! wasn't she good. She sounded very professional! btw how are you Anne? :)

Return to “General Chit Chat”