More Council Cuts

Discuss the latest political news.
Oscar Namechange

More Council Cuts

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Having had our street lighting turned off a few weeks ago to save more money, we have now been hit with this and sure enough the residents are complaining already.

Waste Strategy 2013

I have to keep explaining to people that Councils all over the country are having millions cut from their budgets and what else can we do ?

The alternatives are to either cut budgets to local schools or shut the library down.

Have you had similar In your area's.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
theia

More Council Cuts

Post by theia »

We've had the green bins here for a year or two. I don't need mine anymore because I don't have a garden, so I gave it to my son.

I heard on a radio programme recently that the purpose of recycling household waste was to save the council money in landfill. I had always thought it was solely environmental and hadn't considered other purposes.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Bruv

More Council Cuts

Post by Bruv »

oscar;1433925 wrote:

The alternatives are to either cut budgets to local schools or shut the library down.

Sack the Mayor and stop the twinning jamborees and such like?

Our local council has just gone green...........................

We have three bins, one for cooked and uncooked food, collected weekly.

One for glass, paper, cardboard, anything recyclable, and another for rubbish, these they collect alternative weeks. You can opt in and pay for a bin for garden waste.

I have a novel idea, wonder why they don't do it?

We all put all our refuse of any kind into one single container that they collect weekly.

The refuse gets taken to a high tec plant where a combination of people and machinery sort it into it's categories for disposal.

These high tec plants could be shared between council areas, maybe regionally.

They would create jobs, sell the resulting composted waste, burn whatever they can for energy on site and sell surplus electricity, recycle anything that might be good for that purpose.

These plants should be able to deal with electronic and white goods waste, in fact anything and everything we throw away these days.

That has to be more efficient and long term cost effective than all the local carry ons we have at present.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Snowfire

More Council Cuts

Post by Snowfire »

Bring back the tanner on the bottle we had as kids. We used to go to extraordinary lengths to get our money back on the empties. It still goes on in many other countries.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Bruv

More Council Cuts

Post by Bruv »

Snowfire;1434014 wrote: Bring back the tanner on the bottle we had as kids. We used to go to extraordinary lengths to get our money back on the empties. It still goes on in many other countries.

That was back then, most people wouldn't bend down to pick up 2 and a half pence these days.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Oscar Namechange

More Council Cuts

Bruv, I like your thinking.

Looking at the charges:

OPTION 1: Annual subscription for green bin

You would pay: £36/year (£18/year if on certain benefits)

You would get: A 240 litre green bin that is emptied fortnightly throughout the year. If you generate lots of garden waste you can use additional bins at £36 each.

Estimated savings to the Council: £900k to £1.2m

I think that's perfectly reasonable
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bryn Mawr

More Council Cuts

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1434044 wrote: Bruv, I like your thinking.

Looking at the charges:

OPTION 1: Annual subscription for green bin

You would pay: £36/year (£18/year if on certain benefits)

You would get: A 240 litre green bin that is emptied fortnightly throughout the year. If you generate lots of garden waste you can use additional bins at £36 each.

Estimated savings to the Council: £900k to £1.2m

I think that's perfectly reasonable

There are lots of people who would start fly-tipping rather than pay - estimates cost to the Council: £1.5m to £2.0m

Nett cost to Council: £300k to £1.1m
Oscar Namechange

More Council Cuts

Bryn Mawr;1434087 wrote: There are lots of people who would start fly-tipping rather than pay - estimates cost to the Council: £1.5m to £2.0m

Nett cost to Council: £300k to £1.1m

That's a very good argument and something I had overlooked.

I will raise that at the next meeting... Thanks

Return to “Current Political Events”