Donation, yes or no ?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Chloe_88

Donation, yes or no ?

Post by Chloe_88 »

I'll just say it again, but i'm back after being off forum for a year.. been very busy thats all.. but a question, donation of organs, yes or no?

What started off the question was the following:

I've been an organ donor since i was 18. Told my mum even before that, that if i died she should donate my organs.. Not like they'd be any use to me when i'm gone anyway..

this week i heard my nan has kidney failure, 10% of her kidney function is left. She is going to be 67 tomorrow. I phoned my my mum today and said if she couldn't donate (she has had kidneystones 4 times in the past wich makes donation more difficult), that i would be willing to donate if i were a match.

I was talking to my other half this evening and wondered if he had made a choice about being a donor after he died, and he said no not officially but i dont want to be. when i die everything goes with me. I must admit i was a bit shocked. apart from religious beliefs or disease why wouldn't you donate your organs after you've "passed".

So why wouldn't you?
Bryn Mawr

Donation, yes or no ?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Chloe_88;1432518 wrote: I'll just say it again, but i'm back after being off forum for a year.. been very busy thats all.. but a question, donation of organs, yes or no?

What started off the question was the following:

I've been an organ donor since i was 18. Told my mum even before that, that if i died she should donate my organs.. Not like they'd be any use to me when i'm gone anyway..

this week i heard my nan has kidney failure, 10% of her kidney function is left. She is going to be 67 tomorrow. I phoned my my mum today and said if she couldn't donate (she has had kidneystones 4 times in the past wich makes donation more difficult), that i would be willing to donate if i were a match.

I was talking to my other half this evening and wondered if he had made a choice about being a donor after he died, and he said no not officially but i dont want to be. when i die everything goes with me. I must admit i was a bit shocked. apart from religious beliefs or disease why wouldn't you donate your organs after you've "passed".

So why wouldn't you?

I've carried a donor card since they first came out - I can think of no reason why anyone would not.

The move from an opt in to an opt out system is the most positive step since organ donation began IMHO.
tabby

Donation, yes or no ?

Post by tabby »

Hi Chloe! I've never checked off the box indicating I would donate my organs and I'm not sure I can give you a good reason why. No logical reason that I can think of and after reading your question and then mulling over my own thought process, I've narrowed it down to one word ... "Ewwwwwww" ! That's a ridiculous reason and I'm not proud of it but it's the only excuse I have!

Clearly I need to rethink this! :-3:-2
LarsMac

Donation, yes or no ?

Post by LarsMac »

Well, I checked the donor box.

I am certain that I will have no further use of the stuff when I am gone. would be a shame for anything usable to go to waste.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Týr

Donation, yes or no ?

Post by Týr »

There may be a line to be drawn but it's a long way past using organs to improve the lives of others. I'm sure my dead body would be an asset as cat food, for example, but I might decline. I've no more reason to decline that than I have to decline organ donation so somewhere I still have an element of irrationality.

More cogently I have no desire for my dead body to be stuck in a fridge for medical students to amuse themselves with for a half term, either. Which is also irrational. And as for being part-buried in an allotment so the Metropolitan's forensic unit can determine the rate at which maggots penetrate flesh, no way.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
Chloe_88

Donation, yes or no ?

Post by Chloe_88 »

tabby;1432552 wrote: Hi Chloe! I've never checked off the box indicating I would donate my organs and I'm not sure I can give you a good reason why. No logical reason that I can think of and after reading your question and then mulling over my own thought process, I've narrowed it down to one word ... "Ewwwwwww" ! That's a ridiculous reason and I'm not proud of it but it's the only excuse I have!

Clearly I need to rethink this! :-3:-2

Haha :) it is a bit "eeeeew!' if you think about someone walking around with your heart and kidney bits when you're gone, but like LarsMac said: "I am certain that I will have no further use of the stuff when I am gone, would be a shame for anything usable to go to waste."

But then is that enough to take the "eeeeeeew!" feeling away? :D

or maybe think about the following: would you donate for example a kidney to a loved one ? yes? then why not donate to someone you don't know after you've gone, so they can live on and be with their loved ones a little longer? :)
Chloe_88

Donation, yes or no ?

Post by Chloe_88 »

Týr;1432558 wrote: More cogently I have no desire for my dead body to be stuck in a fridge for medical students to amuse themselves with for a half term, either. Which is also irrational. And as for being part-buried in an allotment so the Metropolitan's forensic unit can determine the rate at which maggots penetrate flesh, no way.

Mmm no, but i've ticked the box for "no" scientific poking and prodding after i've died.. they can use everthing after i die to help someone with for instance kidney failure, but i would not like my brain floating around in a jar for med students to poke at.

Or weird cosmetic stuff like a woman i heard of had a deceased ladies labia implanted in her lips (facial lips). No way my lady garden is going to be implanted into some ugly womans face!
Týr

Donation, yes or no ?

Post by Týr »

Bryn Mawr;1432530 wrote: The move from an opt in to an opt out system is the most positive step since organ donation began IMHO.

I'm not sure why the government allows an opt-in or an opt-out at all.

Under the current law, as it is, nobody owns their own body after death. You can't bequeath your body, for example. You can't arrange for it to be left under glass in your conservatory for future generations to visit. I think bodies should become the property of the state at the moment of death, an asset to be used to the best benefit of those still living.

There's between a half million and a million deaths a year in the UK most of which are going into extremely inefficient crematoria instead of a well-run power station feeding the national grid. Anything recyclable should obviously be stripped out first.

Some euphemistic Government Potash gardening product completes the picture, then we can all push up the daisies in municipal parks.
Týr

Donation, yes or no ?

Post by Týr »

Chloe_88;1432560 wrote: Mmm no, but i've ticked the box for "no" scientific poking and prodding after i've died.What proportion of deaths in England result in an autopsy I'm not sure, but I'd not be surprised if it were most. You can't opt out of an autopsy here.
Chloe_88

Donation, yes or no ?

Post by Chloe_88 »

autopsy is one thing of course but i ment more of the brain poking by med students after autopsy time etc has passed. I ment more of the i dont want to end up floating around in a jar on some biology teachers desk for 20 years :wah:
Týr

Donation, yes or no ?

Post by Týr »

Chloe_88;1432564 wrote: autopsy is one thing of course but i ment more of the brain poking by med students after autopsy time etc has passed. I ment more of the i dont want to end up floating around in a jar on some biology teachers desk for 20 years :wah:

If you don't want to end up floating around in a jar on some biology teacher's desk for 20 years, you shouldn't be a toad.
AnneBoleyn

Donation, yes or no ?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

My son has made me swear never to allow his organs to be used as there are cases, who knows how many, where the "plug" is pulled rather quickly to insure the organs have the integrity for transplant. I would honor his wish, though his death would be my end.

We had a case where a little girl's parents sued to have her get an adult lung transplant for her Cystic Fibrosis. Her parents won the case, she had to receive 2 transplants as the first didn't take, but I found it macabre that the continuation of her life, the joy felt by the news media, was due to the deaths of others, uncelebrated others. I'm not against the idea of transplant, but I understand why it makes some uncomfortable.

Good question, Chloe. There are those who think that transplant should regularly occur, that one would have to "opt out" of the program, not "opt in"; that without saying No in writing it is automatically a Yes.
Chloe_88

Donation, yes or no ?

Post by Chloe_88 »

AnneBoleyn;1432597 wrote: My son has made me swear never to allow his organs to be used as there are cases, who knows how many, where the "plug" is pulled rather quickly to insure the organs have the integrity for transplant. I would honor his wish, though his death would be my end.

We had a case where a little girl's parents sued to have her get an adult lung transplant for her Cystic Fibrosis. Her parents won the case, she had to receive 2 transplants as the first didn't take, but I found it macabre that the continuation of her life, the joy felt by the news media, was due to the deaths of others, uncelebrated others. I'm not against the idea of transplant, but I understand why it makes some uncomfortable.

Good question, Chloe. There are those who think that transplant should regularly occur, that one would have to "opt out" of the program, not "opt in"; that without saying No in writing it is automatically a Yes.

I could understand that. And allthough being a donor, i still think opt in is a better way to go. Even in death it is your body, not that of someone else. You should be able to make that decision without already being a donor without your permission.
Vaishali

Donation, yes or no ?

Post by Vaishali »

My answer is yes.

Return to “General Chit Chat”