IRS Targets Tea Party Groups

Discuss the latest political news.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Gee whiz! First he continues President Bush's international policies, and now he's channeling Richard Nixon. President Obama's a better repub than the repubs are. :wah:

IRS targeted conservative groups, official says - latimes.com

WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service improperly singled out conservative groups for extra scrutiny of their applications for nonprofit status, a top agency official said Friday, setting off calls for investigations into an organization already under fire for its handling of secret political spending by nonprofits.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

It would not surprise me a bit if we were to learn that republicans are behind this, the tea party has been more of a problem for them than it has for democrats.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Looks like real trouble for Obama when even

MOTHER JONES see a problem.

Hey, guess what? Conservatives now have a real scandal to tout! They've been complaining for a while that the IRS singled out tea party groups for audits, and it turns out they were right. Today, the IRS fessed up:

Organizations were singled out because they included the words "tea party" or "patriot" in their applications for tax-exempt status, said Lois Lerner, who heads the IRS division that oversees tax-exempt groups…"That was wrong. That was absolutely incorrect, it was insensitive and it was inappropriate. That's not how we go about selecting cases for further review," Lerner said at a conference sponsored by the American Bar Association.

"The IRS would like to apologize for that," she added.

Lerner said the practice was initiated by low-level workers in Cincinnati and was not motivated by political bias. After her talk, she told The AP that no high level IRS officials knew about the practice. She did not say when they found out. About 75 groups were inappropriately targeted. None had their tax-exempt status revoked, Lerner said.

In this case, conservatives will undoubtedly demand more information about how this happened, who was involved, and when top officials found out about it. And this time, they'll be right to.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

tude dog;1426721 wrote: Looks like real trouble for Obama when even

MOTHER JONES see a problem.

Hey, guess what? Conservatives now have a real scandal to tout! They've been complaining for a while that the IRS singled out tea party groups for audits, and it turns out they were right. Today, the IRS fessed up:

Organizations were singled out because they included the words "tea party" or "patriot" in their applications for tax-exempt status, said Lois Lerner, who heads the IRS division that oversees tax-exempt groups…"That was wrong. That was absolutely incorrect, it was insensitive and it was inappropriate. That's not how we go about selecting cases for further review," Lerner said at a conference sponsored by the American Bar Association.

"The IRS would like to apologize for that," she added.

Lerner said the practice was initiated by low-level workers in Cincinnati and was not motivated by political bias. After her talk, she told The AP that no high level IRS officials knew about the practice. She did not say when they found out. About 75 groups were inappropriately targeted. None had their tax-exempt status revoked, Lerner said.

In this case, conservatives will undoubtedly demand more information about how this happened, who was involved, and when top officials found out about it. And this time, they'll be right to.MoJo is a fair minded and unbiased source, I see even you like citing them, when it's convenient for you, that is. If you're going to ridicule a source in one thread and cite the same source in another, you might want to be a bit more careful about who you insult.

Check out MoJo's article on Bengazi. They are no Obama apologist. They've taken him to the cleaners on marijuana and drones.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Whatsup!!!!......................y'all can carry to ward off oppressive government....why worry ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Bruv;1426729 wrote: Whatsup!!!!......................y'all can carry to ward off oppressive government....why worry ?

I carry for more mundane reasons, like defense against assault, robbery and things like that. Rest of the stuff is to awkward for everyday carry and would draw way to much attention.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Accountable;1426697 wrote: Gee whiz! First he continues President Bush's international policies, and now he's channeling Richard Nixon. President Obama's a better repub than the repubs are. :wah:

IRS targeted conservative groups, official says - latimes.com

We may get lucky. It's a start.

Articles of Impeachment

Article 2

He has, acting personally and through his subordinates and agents, endeavoured to obtain from the Internal Revenue Service, in violation of the constitutional rights of citizens, confidential information contained in income tax returns for purposed not authorized by law, and to cause, in violation of the constitutional rights of citizens, income tax audits or other income tax investigations to be intitiated or conducted in a discriminatory manner.

Watergate.info
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

What makes you believe Obama is behind this? The tea party has been a godsend for democrats. Jumping the gun a little there, aren't you, Sport?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
gmc

Post by gmc »

Why wouldn't they investigate someone applying for tax exempt status and right wing organisations surely get as much scrutiny as left wing ones? If they hadn't investigated would that not be more cause for concern?
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

gmc;1426890 wrote: Why wouldn't they investigate someone applying for tax exempt status and right wing organisations surely get as much scrutiny as left wing ones? If they hadn't investigated would that not be more cause for concern?
Apparently they were searching out specific political affiliations specifically to give them extra scrutiny. It's a pretty common partisan practice. The fact that both parties use it doesn't make it legal or ethical.

Return to “Current Political Events”