Gutless Cameron visits my home town...

Discuss the latest political news.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

under a shroud of secrecy.

Prime minister answers plea to visit Penzance | This is Cornwall

Shame on him and shame on our local Town Council. The sniffer dogs and presence of a lot of suited big wigs did not go un-noticed on Monday morning in my home town. We specifically asked a police man what was going on, why the sniffer dogs? To be told oh it's just 'training'.

Guess he didn't get shown the main street which has plenty of shops closed because the business rates are too high, no, he just went hob-knobbing with the affluent Conservative Causewayhead Traders (a select group I might add, not all in that street are allowed to join the traders association) and some members of the Town Council.

What a wimp that he couldn't come and meet the people of Penzance properly.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Or maybe It was an Impromptu affair without time to arrange the necessary requirements for the amount of security that's essential for a meet and greet visit?

The Royals meet and greets are arranged anything up to a year In advance. Why should he put his security at risk If It was Impromptu?

He visits other parts of the country where there Is discord especially the North of England where he gets a dreadful reception on the streets, why would he hide from Cornwall?

As for Gutless Cameron, he's shown more backbone In the last year that the Blair government showed during their entire time in government.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Wot a gutless bugger! Typical politician. Give him hell Ms Boop! BTW welcome back!:-4
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Oscar Namechange

jones jones;1425849 wrote: Wot a gutless bugger! Typical politician. Give him hell Ms Boop! BTW welcome back!:-4 He's not a politician, he Is the Prime Minister, slight difference there.

I am sure you are missing something here. There happens to be elections taking place all over the country today. As the Prime Minister, here's a thought. Now call me whacky, call me offbeat, call this idea off the wall but maybe just maybe with all the elections going on, he was errrrrrrrr BUSY

In this country, we elect local Councillors to work on our behalf In our area's and to speak for us, that's why we elect them. Cameron met with Cornwall's local Councillors and listened to their concerns. That's what they are elected for and for what they get paid to do. The public go to their local Councillors and the Councillors speak for them. prime Ministers do not have to go wandering around for hours on end just because they happen to be visiting the area someone lives In.

Does Obama go wandering around the streets In every town he visits?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

oscar;1425859 wrote: He's not a politician, he Is the Prime Minister, slight difference there.

I am sure you are missing something here. There happens to be elections taking place all over the country today. As the Prime Minister, here's a thought. Now call me whacky, call me offbeat, call this idea off the wall but maybe just maybe with all the elections going on, he was errrrrrrrr BUSY

In this country, we elect local Councillors to work on our behalf In our area's and to speak for us, that's why we elect them. Cameron met with Cornwall's local Councillors and listened to their concerns. That's what they are elected for and for what they get paid to do. The public go to their local Councillors and the Councillors speak for them. prime Ministers do not have to go wandering around for hours on end just because they happen to be visiting the area someone lives In.

Does Obama go wandering around the streets In every town he visits?

There's a difference between a politician and a prime minister?
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Oscar Namechange

jones jones;1425860 wrote: There's a difference between a politician and a prime minister? Does Obama go wandering around the streets In every town he visits?
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

oscar;1425862 wrote: Does Obama go wandering around the streets In every town he visits?

A comparison between the two makes no sense dear ... Is the Pope a Catholic?
Oscar Namechange

Hardly ' Shrouded In Secrecy' . The visit Is all over the net and he's photographed walking down a public street surrounded by Journalists.

UPDATE: VIDEO/PICTURES: Prime Minister David Cameron visits The Cornishman, Penzance | This is Cornwall

Maybe what Betty means, Is that he didn't stop off to talk to her.
Oscar Namechange

jones jones;1425863 wrote: A comparison between the two makes no sense dear ... Is the Pope a Catholic?

Obama Is the leader of your country. Cameron is the leader of our country.

I'll ask again.

Does Obama go wandering around the streets of every town he visits?
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

oscar;1425864 wrote: Hardly ' Shrouded In Secrecy' . The visit Is all over the net and he's photographed walking down a public street surrounded by Journalists.

UPDATE: VIDEO/PICTURES: Prime Minister David Cameron visits The Cornishman, Penzance | This is Cornwall

Maybe what Betty means, Is that he didn't stop off to talk to her.

"Maybe what Betty means, Is that he didn't stop off to talk to her."

Then he sure as hell doesn't know what he's missing!
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

oscar;1425865 wrote: Obama Is the leader of your country. Cameron is the leader of our country.

I'll ask again.

No ... but in Britain its like a tradition and even QE2 and Kate do it ... so if its good for the royals ...
Oscar Namechange

jones jones;1425866 wrote: "Maybe what Betty means, Is that he didn't stop off to talk to her."

Then he sure as hell doesn't know what he's missing!

Let's try again

Does Obama go wandering around every town he visits.?

I'm sure a man of your superior Intelligence can grasp such a simple question?
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

oscar;1425868 wrote: Let's try again

I'm sure a man of your superior Intelligence can grasp such a simple question?

Sigh .....................
Oscar Namechange

oscar;1425868 wrote: Let's try again

I'm sure a man of your superior Intelligence can grasp such a simple question? It appears we posted simultaneously .

There you go. Easy eh? You managed to answer finally.

I would Imagine our Prime Minister right now Is more concerned with all the elections taking place which will be an Indication of how the electorate will perform In the General In two years time.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

oscar;1425870 wrote: It appears we posted simultaneously .

There you go. Easy eh? You managed to answer finally.

I would Imagine our Prime Minister right now Is more concerned with all the elections taking place which will be an Indication of how the electorate will perform In the General In two years time.

There you go then ... You have answered your own question.
Oscar Namechange

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Cameron

That's just In case you continue to fail to grasp who Cameron is and what he does.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

oscar;1425874 wrote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Cameron

That's just In case you continue to fail to grasp who Cameron is and what he does.

I have Sky News on cable as well as BBC, CNN, RT & Al Jazeera etc ...

I am well aware of what Mr Cameron does and does not do ...

To me he remains a politician ...
gmc

Post by gmc »

oscar;1425865 wrote: Obama Is the leader of your country. Cameron is the leader of our country.

I'll ask again.

Cameron is prime minister - primo inter pares- or if you oprefer first amongst equals he can do nothing without the agreement of parliament which at the end of the day is the sovereign power in the UK. He is not head of state that position belongs to the queen. The american president is also head of state and has considerable powers as head of the executive (correct me if I'm wrong) he is also the first black president and so has to worry about right wing nutters with guns who would like to shoot him so I doubt very much he goes wondering around the streets of every town he visits. If you recall when Bush visited they sealed the strets to keep[ p[rotestors oput of sight this breaking with a traditional UK practice of us being able to shout abuse at politicians.

Cameron answers to us he is nobidy special and this current power that the prime minister is perceived to have is actually not in the Ritish tradition at all. Tbne prime minister shpuld be concerned about elections, I hope the bastard is shitting himself with fear about what the electorate will do..
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Gosh, I returned to see several posts, oooh thought I, some proper discussion.

No chance.
Oscar Namechange

Betty Boop;1425881 wrote: Gosh, I returned to see several posts, oooh thought I, some proper discussion.

No chance. Well I did Initially try with the view that the elections today would have made him busy and that at least he talked to local council, which Is something.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Betty Boop;1425881 wrote: Gosh, I returned to see several posts, oooh thought I, some proper discussion.

No chance.

Well sometimes "discussion' is all we get here on FG ... "Proper discussion"? Well maybe we only get that on the debating societies.

Anyway, 20 odd replies is good going Ms Boop even if the not "proper.".
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

No chance.

And you got soaked with drool.
Oscar Namechange

SnoozeAgain;1425890 wrote: And you got soaked with drool. And It's no coIncidence that my avatar of ' Anti wanker spray' Is above the avatar of ' The Chosen one'....
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Zing!
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Betty

I sense in your OP that your disquisted with Cameron and the fact he walked thru a well groomed neighborhood irritates you.

Is it the grand standing - his arrogance or another waste of tax payers money for all the grand standing.?

I'm asking since you indicated a dislike for Thatcher also. (her policies).?

Our Representatives don't walk thru the ghetto very often either.?

Most places toured are set up - staged - phony tour.

That's why we (US blue collar worker) didn't know the attitude towards Thatcher - we were only shown Thatcher in the positive - we're shown the Queen in the positive.

So what is upsetting with Cameron's walk.?

Patsy
Oscar Namechange

Patsy Warnick;1425910 wrote: Betty

I sense in your OP that your disquisted with Cameron and the fact he walked thru a well groomed neighborhood irritates you.

Is it the grand standing - his arrogance or another waste of tax payers money for all the grand standing.?

That's why we (US blue collar worker) didn't know the attitude towards Thatcher - we were only shown Thatcher in the positive - we're shown the Queen in the positive.

Patsy

First of all Patsy, Penzanze Is not a ghetto. It's one of the most beautiful parts of the British Isles where many people choose to take their holidays, Much of It Is farming Industry and there has been job losses there. I think that Is what Betty's main beef Is.

Having said that, Penzanze and Cornish job losses are no more than other parts of the country have suffered.

Cameron was asked to visit Penzanze and that's what he did. He didn't have to and he didn't have to any more than any other part of the country but he did.

Due to all the elections all over the country yesterday, his Improptu visit was probably arranged at the last minute and time restraints meant he couldn't go walk about.

The Important thing Is, he answered the call to visit the area and he met with the Council who are elected to speak on behalf of the local people.

i see nothing wrong there at all.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

oscar;1425939 wrote: First of all Patsy, Penzanze Is not a ghetto. It's one of the most beautiful parts of the British Isles where many people choose to take their holidays, Much of It Is farming Industry and there has been job losses there. I think that Is what Betty's main beef Is.

Having said that, Penzanze and Cornish job losses are no more than other parts of the country have suffered.

Cameron was asked to visit Penzanze and that's what he did. He didn't have to and he didn't have to any more than any other part of the country but he did.

Due to all the elections all over the country yesterday, his Improptu visit was probably arranged at the last minute and time restraints meant he couldn't go walk about.

The Important thing Is, he answered the call to visit the area and he met with the Council who are elected to speak on behalf of the local people.

i see nothing wrong there at all.

There you go Patsy, Oscar knows it all. No need for me to bother. :rolleyes:
Oscar Namechange

Betty Boop;1425941 wrote: There you go Patsy, Oscar knows it all. No need for me to bother. :rolleyes: Didn't know If you were on line and just thougght I'd point out that Cornwall is not a ghetto.

Doesn't stop you from putting across your view point does It?
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Even if I lived in a ghetto, I doubt I'd appreciate someone online assuming I lived in a ghetto.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

SnoozeAgain;1425946 wrote: Even if I lived in a ghetto, I doubt I'd appreciate someone online assuming I lived in a ghetto.

I actually took it as a point of sarcasm, it in no way offended me.

I will post my reply when I can, the toddler will not allow me to look at a computer screen for more than two mins at a time.

No doubt, Oscar can keep you all intimately informed of where I live and why I might be fed up with Cameron.
Oscar Namechange

CoIncidentally I was looking at self catering cottages In Penzanze only the other night. Can't decide between Cornwall or Scotland for a break this year.

Purely Penzance | The guide to entertainment, shopping, restaurants, accommodation, tourism & everything else in between
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Betty Boop;1425948 wrote: I actually took it as a point of sarcasm, it in no way offended me.

I will post my reply when I can, the toddler will not allow me to look at a computer screen for more than two mins at a time.

No doubt, Oscar can keep you all intimately informed of where I live and why I might be fed up with Cameron.

That's the difference between you and me... I find her foot-in-mouth comments annoying and you obviously don't.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Oscar

Your tone in your reply - I sense my question to Betty is wrong?

Read my reply - never did I state any area in the UK was ghetto - you twist just to irritate.

Are you reading Betty's mind?

Betty please reply - perhaps this issue could be a good discussion.?

Patsy
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

oscar;1425892 wrote: And It's no coIncidence that my avatar of ' Anti wanker spray' Is above the avatar of ' The Chosen one'....

And the point of this rather odd reply is ....?
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Rather obvious, I would think...
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

SnoozeAgain;1425953 wrote: Rather obvious, I would think...

My question wasn't addressed to your branch of the haters ...
Oscar Namechange

Patsy Warnick;1425951 wrote: Oscar

Your tone in your reply - I sense my question to Betty is wrong?

Read my reply - never did I state any area in the UK was ghetto - you twist just to irritate.

Are you reading Betty's mind?

Betty please reply - perhaps this issue could be a good discussion.?

Patsy I did read your reply patsy which was

" Our Representatives don't walk thru the ghetto very often either.?

Most places toured are set up - staged - phony tour."

I just thought you may have been under the Impression that Cameron was touring a ghetto. That's all. When you say ' either ' In that context, It comes across as ' also '.

It doesn't matter. you say you were not Implying that Penzanze was a ghetto, that's fine. Nothing to have a fall out over.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Of course not Oscar. If I post in a thread of yours and use an unflattering word to describe something in reference to your OP, how dare you assume that I'm talking about the same thing.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Patsy Warnick;1425910 wrote: Betty

Patsy

A little while back the Cornishman newspaper made a very public request that Mr Cameron come and visit the town, this request was backed by local traders, local MP's and the PUBLIC. Here's a link as to why the request was made.

PM urged to help fight to revive our high street | Penzance People

All we knew is that as a result of the request Cameron agreed he would visit and listen to the concerns of the people of Penzance. No date was made public.

Last monday morning even the police lied when asked about the volume of suits within the street he later walked through was very evident, we were sat in a cafe where the suits came to have a coffee. Police sniffer dogs went through twice, upon leaving the cafe and asking what was going on we were told it was dog training, meanwhile we all noticed a red helicopter circling somewhere nearby as if to land.

That was Cameron, the helicopter landed out of town and he was driven to the top of the street we had been in. He made a comment about the cobbles... ermm it's brick, wasn't really taking much notice was he. He was taken down through the street admiring the top end, gets a bit messier as you get down near the bottom and then whisked away into the Cornishman office. According to the short report in my opening post he met a few chosen bigwigs. I will await further news to see if he met with the people that were originally photographed standing under Sir Humphry Davy in our main street who were part of the original request for Cameron to visit. This is the street where we have recently opened pawnbrokers, plenty of charity shops, pound shops and money lenders, with around five or six empty shops, this is the street that is really struggling due to the impossibly high business rates being charged. This is the street that used to be the jewel in our crown, a raised granite terrace with wonderful floral displays that can no longer happen due to funding cuts.

There are photographs showing the 'crowds' watching Cameron :yh_rotfl ermm there are people walking by who suddenly realised gosh there's the PM and they've turned to watch his progress. Had his visit been advertised there would have been far more people out on the streets. And those people would have been poor, Penzance town is poor. We have been sold out to the people who come to retire, or lead a less stressful life and then go on to have a hand in running our councils, voicing their opinions and telling the locals what they should and shouldn't do, people who don't like change and regeneration, who don't like to admit there are major housing problems and no more houses being built. The people that have stopped plans for better links to the Isles of Scilly, the people that stop businesses trying to start up and keep the tourists in the town should they happen upon us. Our tree lined avenue full of bed and breakfasts twenty years ago is now mostly council filled b & b's. If it weren't for the National Trust we wouldn't have a Tourist Information Office.

There is a patch of land just beyond a shopping area near the bottom of town that many many years ago was a gas works. I don't remember the gas works as having been a working concern in my life time, I know for years it's always been talked about as a prime piece of land that needed to have something worthwhile done with it, so what's been done? Nothing as of yet, apparently they've been going to build yet more retirement flats on it, seems to have taken thirty years to argue the toss about what is and is not suitable for that piece of land, it's a joke!

Now we have no helicopter link to the Isles of Scilly, no proper facilities for passengers boarding the Scillonian, proper facilities are only just now available at Lands End Airport for people who are flying to the Scillies and the runway there is grass because people don't want a tarmac runway to spoil the area, so if it's wet you can forget flying from there and have to make the tedious journey to Newquay Airport whose public transport links are worse than useless.

Don't get me started on the buses, we've never seen a brand new bus here, we get everyone's old stock and the specialty about these parts is that when a bus is getting really old they will put it on the Lands End run, the steep hill in Newlyn will kill the bus off that's for sure, and it works!

Yes Patsy I am irritated that our Prime minister took a whistle stop tour of Penzance, had the nicer bits pointed out to him but wasn't shown the reality of a very poor town with very poor people living in it. Being down at the end of the country we are forgotten about, we get very little money from government in comparison to other places, we have extortionate water rates to pay to upkeep our coastlines for the tourists to visit along with huge Council Tax bills. We were a town that once was a tourism hot spot but as society changed it became a town that wouldn't make small changes to keep the tourists coming, a town that hasn't been allowed to invest in tourism and keep the tourists coming, Penzance does not make the effort to make itself a pleasant place to be, and before anyone hammers me for making out it's the people moving here stopping the progress it isn't just them, it's the stuck in the dark ages locals too.

Oscar, by all means visit Penzance, outlying areas are beautiful, there is fly fishing for Mr Oscar and sea fishing obviously although not so easily accessible course fishing. If you take a stroll along our promenade be sure to take a flask because in the one place you would expect to see cafe's etc there are very few, and those that are there are second rate. Although during the past couple of years it's been wonderful to see 'Tea by the Sea', a caravan parked up at one end of the prom on sunny days serving hot and cold drinks and home made cakes. Brilliant idea from a young person who had to fight to be allowed to do so.

Be sure to visit St Ives though, and imagine that's how Penzance was 20 years ago, cared for, busy with people all year round and just 'pretty'.

And... can we stop going on about the bloody ghetto word being used, stop trying to make an argument where there is none, after all, the definition of ghetto describes some areas here perfectly, and those are the areas that were avoided by Cameron.

Urban Dictionary: ghetto
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Betty

I had to chuckle - Cameron's visit wasn't heavily advertised so the poor didn't enter the picture..:wah: That's exactly right. Why deal with reality - it's better thru rose tinted glasses.

The transportation situation nearly isolates you.?

Cameron - is he trying to turn (Transportation) a bad situation to a positive? It sounds as if Penzance is showing growth or a up swing with more shops for tourist etc.

Is Cameron working to bring in Tourist? and if yes - then he'd have to incorporate other accomodations that go along with tourist.?

Then again - if the population in this area is mainly "elderly" - well they're stuck in their ways and not good with change and not too interested with the whole ball of wax - less people - less noise - they're comfortable..!?

Oh - We have reps with the same rose tinted glasses Betty - disappointing and We voted ours in offfice.!!:yh_rotfl

Snooze & Oscar

I find it amuzing that you two are having a chat regarding Betty & I..?

I wish Betty & I could speak for ourselves - OH - We don't have tooooooooooo:yh_rotfl

Patsy
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Amusing, with an S.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Bingo....!:yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl

Patsy
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Yes, your ignorance is hilarious.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Snooze - really?

You just can't resist - Not sure what the problem is other than tiresome.

Your comments are rude & insulting

I have asked you to stop but you can't - so do you need medications.?

Snooze you had plenty of explanations last time - Please explain to all WHY ??

Yawn

Patsy
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I find you insulting, rude and stupid. Your insinuation that I need medication is out of line but apparently acceptable here. Frankly, I don't like you and I find most of your comments ignorant. I think you're an idiot.

Have a nice day.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Snooze

Than do yourself a favor and put me on ignore..

I have asked you to ignore me but you just keep coming back like a yo yo..

Honestly your scary - your personality is sour

Maybe this is a High for you - read your replies - seriously - there's something wrong with you.

Take Care

Patsy
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I won't deny that there might be something wrong with me, I'm a 55 year old woman after all. But you... you post ignorant comments and then get offended when you're questioned. You can barely spell, your grammar is horrifying and frankly, you come across as mildly brain damaged. You've insulted a good friend of mine with a comment that her infertility was a gift from god and that she'd be a horrible mother (may you rot in hell for that, you bitch) and why you're tolerated here is a mystery to me.

I don't care if I get banned for saying this. It NEEDED to be said. You're a miserable person.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Well Betty

Sorry another thread went South - again.

They certainly know how to have a good time here...

Patsy
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

[QUOTE=Betty Boop;1425973]A little while back the Cornishman newspaper made a very public request that Mr Cameron come and visit the town, this request was backed by local traders, local MP's and the PUBLIC. Here's a link as to why the request was made.

PM urged to help fight to revive our high street | Penzance People

All we knew is that as a result of the request Cameron agreed he would visit and listen to the concerns of the people of Penzance. No date was made public.

Last monday morning even the police lied when asked about the volume of suits within the street he later walked through was very evident, we were sat in a cafe where the suits came to have a coffee. Police sniffer dogs went through twice, upon leaving the cafe and asking what was going on we were told it was dog training, meanwhile we all noticed a red helicopter circling somewhere nearby as if to land.

That was Cameron,

ETC....(I'm sure everyone has read this and it does not need to be repeated again, no disrespect intended)

Betty...thank you for the reality check of Penzance, and I am glad to see you kept your head above all this noise.

Have a good weekend.

:yh_flower
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

THis is fantastic.......And I thought I was going to be bored this evening.

and I'm not even in the middle of it. Ha.

Carry on .

Return to “Current Political Events”