Scientists hate the GOP for a reason

Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Sometimes it's the religion, but I think it's mostly the conservatism.

One of the great political shifts in the past decade has been the move of scientists toward the Democratic Party, a casualty of the Republican Party’s war on reality. It’s not about politics for scientists, it’s about the fact that only one party accepts scientific findings on everything from global warming to evolutionary theory to what does and doesn’t prevent pregnancy. Only 6 percent of scientists identify as Republican, whereas 55 percent identify as Democratic. In October of 2012, 68 Nobel-winning scientists co-signed a strong endorsement of Obama, saying the President “has delivered on his promise to renew our faith in science-based decision making.” Which is why it was so strange to read Daniel Sarewitz, co-director of the Consortium for Science, Policy, and Outcomes at Arizona State University, argue in Nature that it’s wrong for scientists to throw their weight behind electing Democrats.

Scientists hate the GOP for a reason - Salon.com
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Ahso!;1416253 wrote: Sometimes it's the religion, but I think it's mostly the conservatism.

Scientists hate the GOP for a reason - Salon.com

Everybody has one, an opinion.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

What did you think of the piece, TD? You doubt it's an opinion based on fact? Which parts do you dispute?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Lon

Post by Lon »

Good piece-----I do think religion has much to do with this trend.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Ahso!;1416268 wrote: What did you think of the piece, TD? You doubt it's an opinion based on fact? Which parts do you dispute?

I dispute the whole premises

One of the great political shifts in the past decade has been the move of scientists toward the Democratic Party, a casualty of the Republican Party’s war on reality.

It just goes downhill from there.

It is an opinion. He does not post here. No point if parsing words of somebody else's opinion piece.
halfway

Post by halfway »

Opinion...and only opinion.

from "salon.com"

I know many scientists...many have been gagged by academia for disputing the mainstream....the world is flat they say, stop proving us otherwise says the establishment! Grant money through fear on a global scale says the establishment.

Premise is garbage.

LOL. Oh brother.
My Journal of a New Endeavor
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

tude dog;1416276 wrote: I dispute the whole premises

It just goes downhill from there.

It is an opinion. He does not post here. No point if parsing words of somebody else's opinion piece.Did you bother reading the entire article?

The article claims that 6% of scientists identify themselves as republicans and 55% democrats and cites the Pew Research Group for those figures. Do you dispute that?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

halfway;1416278 wrote: Opinion...and only opinion.

from "salon.com"

I know many scientists...many have been gagged by academia for disputing the mainstream....the world is flat they say, stop proving us otherwise says the establishment! Grant money through fear on a global scale says the establishment.

Premise is garbage.

LOL. Oh brother.You never offer anything to counter what's posted other than attacking the source and never offering your own, or throwing cheap shots at the poster. Why is that?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Ahso!;1416283 wrote: Did you bother reading the entire article?

The article claims that 6% of scientists identify themselves as republicans and 55% democrats and cites the Pew Research Group for those figures. Do you dispute that?

No

Anyone of us can flood this site with opinions written by other people from all points of views. Where does it end?

Now you make a comment you think is of interest of that opinion piece that you think is important.

Thank you for the invitation, but I think I read enough to know I am not interested.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

That would be a 'no' to both questions I'll assume.

Love the richness of conversation you bring.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Ahso!;1416339 wrote: That would be a 'no' to both questions I'll assume.

Love the richness of conversation you bring.

whatever
gmc

Post by gmc »

tude dog;1416328 wrote: No

Anyone of us can flood this site with opinions written by other people from all points of views. Where does it end?

Now you make a comment you think is of interest of that opinion piece that you think is important.

Thank you for the invitation, but I think I read enough to know I am not interested.

Many post links to an article as a means to provoke discussion. If you read enough to know it was not of interest why bother posting at all?
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Tide goes in, tide goes out.....LOL
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

:thinking:gmc;1416358 wrote: Many post links to an article as a means to provoke discussion. If you read enough to know it was not of interest why bother posting at all?

Why Not?
gmc

Post by gmc »

tude dog;1416373 wrote: :thinking:

Why Not?

Agree or disagree but if it's not of interest to join in a discussion thread with no intention of entering in to a discussion does rather suggest you miss the point. I read it, found it interesting but as a non american have no real constructive comment to make so made none. Your comment interested me I was curious why you bothered posting that's all. But if you're not interested in responding that's fine by me.
Richard Bell

Post by Richard Bell »

Seems like that most common of breeds, the Forum Trollhound (notorious for their annoying bark, but bereft of bite) has found our doorstep.

Remember, it's not a good idea to feed strays. Once you start, there's no getting rid of them.

As to the OP:

I hope that the USA will continue to support science. It's sadly ironic that a nation which put humans on the moon over forty years ago would have such a noisy segment of their society deploring science and embracing fanciful notions from an oft translated tome written by numerous Bronze Age authors.

Of course, the other reason for some conservatives sometimes disputing scientific research is that it can throw cold water on their big business partners' unfettered quest to ride roughshod over the environment in their race for corporate profits.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

gmc;1416467 wrote: Agree or disagree but if it's not of interest to join in a discussion thread with no intention of entering in to a discussion does rather suggest you miss the point. I read it, found it interesting but as a non american have no real constructive comment to make so made none. Your comment interested me I was curious why you bothered posting that's all. But if you're not interested in responding that's fine by me.

You are right, I should have approached it different.

Ahso! just posted a commentary without a comment from him. post #5 I wrote, It is an opinion. He does not post here. No point if parsing words of somebody else's opinion piece.

Anybody can fill the site with commentary, news etc. What is it about the article the poster finds interesting and wants to discuss? All things considered I made more comment on the article than the poster himself.

Return to “Societal Issues News”