Illness it's a bugger ennit ?

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I am just glad that I am fortunate enough to have a great insurance plan. It seemed expensive the last few years while we have been healthy, but it is paying for most of this stuff, now.

Some day Americans will see the wisdom of such a program for all of us.

I hope
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Great news, thanks for the update. Oh and that concoction for the clear out, good luck.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Post by spot »

All modern hospitals offer a surgery video option.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well. That was fun. NOT!!

They took out about half a foot or so of plumbing yesterday. There were some complications which caused a bit of a delay, and I got settled in a room about 11 PM or so.

Slept through most of the day, now they won't feed me until I can cut loose a nice fart.

But I am alive and hungry.
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

Alive and hungry is a good sign!
spot

Post by spot »

I do hope they washed their hands before they started all that.

It's one of the few remaining jobs suitable to a soothsayer though these days they have to get a surgeon license before they can delve.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Get farting then.......before you starve.You never had any problem before.......allegedly.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

This is like a video game. Each accomplishment brings a new target to advance to another level.

Now, I have a new task to complete.

Accomplished the fart and was rewarded with loot package consisting of a cup of chicken broth and some jello.

Next there must be some substance produced.

I am also required to complete several laps around the indoor arena.

That is complicated by the fact that this Ward caters to a particular type of clientele which includes children. There is a security gate to prevent children from wandering off or being carried off by unauthorized people.

And tripping over the occasional rug rat is highly discouraged.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Solid substance as opposed gaseous ?

It's wicked the way they make you get up and walk just when you could do with the rest isn't it ?

I remember attempting to walk to the hospital reception/coffee bar .....................got about a quarter of the way and was totally whacked and had to sit down before making the return journey.

It gets easier a lot easier.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1510318 wrote: Solid substance as opposed gaseous ?

It's wicked the way they make you get up and walk just when you could do with the rest isn't it ?

I remember attempting to walk to the hospital reception/coffee bar .....................got about a quarter of the way and was totally whacked and had to sit down before making the return journey.

It gets easier a lot easier.

Well, I met all the criteria for release, and the Doc sent me home.

Pitstop was so pleased to see me. She has been following me everywhere since I got home. Still horribly bloated and the sutures itch like crazy. This was my first actual surgery, and I aim to see that it is my last. (A few relatively minor things before, fixing broken bones and such, but nothing like this)

Tried walking up to the creek, but waited too long and the temperature got to me, so I came back home. Tomorrow will be about ten degrees cooler, so will set out again, earlier.

It has been nice the last 16 hours not have someone coming around poking, prodding, sticking and such ever couple of hours.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

That's good news. Walking to the creek is a start, we expect you to be swinging weights next week. And those parallel and asymmetric bars.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac;1510186 wrote: I just had a visit with the Oncologist and we are a 'go' for Friday to do a little resection to get rid of this thing. Seems we got to it in time and there is no evidence of spreading migration.

Been out all week touring the high points of Colorado with two of my cousins.(Literally, we crossed the highest five mountain passes where that can be done with an automobile) Had a great week. Next week will be laid up in for a while after the resection. The hospital has a good Wi-fi, so I will probably be online a bit.

A few tests to confirm all clear, and I'll be good as new, minus a few centimeters or so of plumbing.

So, far the worst part of this whole experience is drinking that nasty stuff they give you to clean out your plumbing.

The explosive stuff was is? :wah:

Any news? We worry you know :-)
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

LarsMac;1510407 wrote: Well, I met all the criteria for release, and the Doc sent me home.

Pitstop was so pleased to see me. She has been following me everywhere since I got home. Still horribly bloated and the sutures itch like crazy. This was my first actual surgery, and I aim to see that it is my last. (A few relatively minor things before, fixing broken bones and such, but nothing like this)

Tried walking up to the creek, but waited too long and the temperature got to me, so I came back home. Tomorrow will be about ten degrees cooler, so will set out again, earlier.

It has been nice the last 16 hours not have someone coming around poking, prodding, sticking and such ever couple of hours.

Take it steady, there is no need to over do it, build up up to marathon running fitness slowly.

I had keyhole surgery, so no itchy sutures, and I have no idea how much of my pipework went missing.

Nice to hear you have escaped the clutches of those evil nurses, now it's only your wife on your case.......hopefully.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

I know exactly what you mean by the bloating and suture itching, and can commiserate. Here's hoping you make it to the creek today.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1510415 wrote: Take it steady, there is no need to over do it, build up up to marathon running fitness slowly.

I had keyhole surgery, so no itchy sutures, and I have no idea how much of my pipework went missing.

Nice to hear you have escaped the clutches of those evil nurses, now it's only your wife on your case.......hopefully.

I have to say that the nurses and CNAs on the Ward I was in ROCKED!!!!

The most professional, caring, compassionate, and friendly group of people I have met in one place in ages.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

LarsMac;1510420 wrote: I have to say that the nurses and CNAs on the Ward I was in ROCKED!!!!

The most professional, caring, compassionate, and friendly group of people I have met in one place in ages.

Mine were angels, how anyone can choose to go to work and deal with the things they deal with everyday, takes special people indeed.

Don't know how to phrase this delicately so use your imagination, I embarrassed myself, and smiling nurse sorted it out .................twice.

My apologies were brushed aside each time.............very special people.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

I've been having tummy trouble (bloating, that sort of thing) for a while and been thoroughly checked. I'm fine I'm glad to say, but the colonoscopy was...interesting. I had to drink gallons of water in the week leading up, then had to take an ENTIRE packet of over the counter laxative (senarkot). On top of that I had to take a hospital special laxative and a couple of top ups over the next 24 hours.

I nearly exploded. I'm still not entirely convinced it wasn't some junior doctors having a laugh.

By the time I arrived at the hospital, using that knees together scuttle of desperation, my arse felt the way a chimp's looks. Fortunately the kind doctor took pity when I explained the situation and sedated me so thoroughly I have almost no memory of the procedure.

(Actually I have a sliding hiatus hernia and some acid reflux the later endoscopy discovered. Frankly it's something of a relief given the alternative possibilities)
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Clodhopper;1510438 wrote: I've been having tummy trouble (bloating, that sort of thing) for a while and been thoroughly checked. I'm fine I'm glad to say, but the colonoscopy was...interesting. I had to drink gallons of water in the week leading up, then had to take an ENTIRE packet of over the counter laxative (senarkot). On top of that I had to take a hospital special laxative and a couple of top ups over the next 24 hours.

I nearly exploded. I'm still not entirely convinced it wasn't some junior doctors having a laugh.

By the time I arrived at the hospital, using that knees together scuttle of desperation, my arse felt the way a chimp's looks. Fortunately the kind doctor took pity when I explained the situation and sedated me so thoroughly I have almost no memory of the procedure.

(Actually I have a sliding hiatus hernia and some acid reflux the later endoscopy discovered. Frankly it's something of a relief given the alternative possibilities)

I hope they didn't use the same camera :yh_sick

More seriously, glad it turn out OK.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Clodhopper;1510438 wrote: I've been having tummy trouble (bloating, that sort of thing) for a while and been thoroughly checked. I'm fine I'm glad to say, but the colonoscopy was...interesting. I had to drink gallons of water in the week leading up, then had to take an ENTIRE packet of over the counter laxative (senarkot). On top of that I had to take a hospital special laxative and a couple of top ups over the next 24 hours.

Ow! I feel for you. Some of that DOES sound like someone getting a chuckle at your expense. Glad that you're getting it sorted out.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, a final follow up on my adventure. All put back together, and plumbing is working as expected.

I still have about half the appetite I had before this started, but that is a good thing. I've lost 20 pounds. Last time I was at this weight was in 1987.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

Always a bit of a lottery, having those tubes messed about with. I'm delighted to hear they're still properly connected the way they were meant to be.

Were I to lose 20 pounds I'd be back to around 1987 too but I'll try to find a less exciting procedure.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac;1511545 wrote: Well, a final follow up on my adventure. All put back together, and plumbing is working as expected.

I still have about half the appetite I had before this started, but that is a good thing. I've lost 20 pounds. Last time I was at this weight was in 1987.

That's wonderful to hear and a relief to us all in the Garden :-6
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

LarsMac;1511545 wrote: Well, a final follow up on my adventure. All put back together, and plumbing is working as expected.

Nice to hear.

I am the biggest I have ever been and hate it.......I tell everybody it's middle age spread.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Glad youre okay after that ordeal. I believe in those situations people need a dose of Billy Connolly. (Just watch that hernia when laughing)

Id would like the entire forum to know i have the Flu.

But not just Flu ...but the dreaded MAN FLU!

Im sure im at deaths door.!

Call an ambulance!

I can hear angels singing......(or ive Odeed on flu tablets, im not quite sure.)

Just a heads up when it eventually hits the northern hemisphere. Coughing and sneezing and sniffles for a week or two then it hits you properly and hangs around for about a month.

Go get your shots when the season comes around. My sister had four days off work. Its not a pleasant one
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Sorry to hear about everyone's illness. With my wife's horrifying illnesses and my chronic condition, it's one thing I never take lightly.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

So glad to hear that you are doing well.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Good to hear. :)
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I have been feeling lucky the last couple of weeks.

My younger brother's wife died following a heart attack, I went to her funeral yesterday, she was younger than me and up until then seeming fit and healthy.

It is selfish............following my illness record of the previous few years, to be alive is a bonus, making me question fate.

Today I received a letter about an MRI scan I had forgotten about, the reason for the scan was because following a health MOT the NHS gives to us old timers, I had high BP, that they sent me for further tests including tests for prostate cancer.......well they knew what the tests were for.......I choose not to.

Anyway.......the latter told me...."There is a light abnormality in your prostate"...........went on to say nothing to worry about right away, they "would not recommend any further invasive procedures at the moment" and it would be "sufficient" to have 6 monthly PSA tests.

Ending the letter with.........."I hope I can reassure you"

If I was playing cards I would have a full house, and that's a winning hand.........right ?

It is a good job I am not a worrier isn't it ?
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

That's more or less the same we get for our smear tests,' slight abnormality and we'll just keep checking it more often' - yes forget about it for now. They are keeping an eye on it so not much point worrying.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1513968 wrote: I have been feeling lucky the last couple of weeks.

My younger brother's wife died following a heart attack, I went to her funeral yesterday, she was younger than me and up until then seeming fit and healthy.

It is selfish............following my illness record of the previous few years, to be alive is a bonus, making me question fate.

Today I received a letter about an MRI scan I had forgotten about, the reason for the scan was because following a health MOT the NHS gives to us old timers, I had high BP, that they sent me for further tests including tests for prostate cancer.......well they knew what the tests were for.......I choose not to.

Anyway.......the latter told me...."There is a light abnormality in your prostate"...........went on to say nothing to worry about right away, they "would not recommend any further invasive procedures at the moment" and it would be "sufficient" to have 6 monthly PSA tests.

Ending the letter with.........."I hope I can reassure you"

If I was playing cards I would have a full house, and that's a winning hand.........right ?

It is a good job I am not a worrier isn't it ?

just a CYA tactic for them, probably.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

I was instructed by my General Practitioner to go to Google and investigate prostates which struck me at the time as an innovation for health treatment. At a subsequent visit he asked whether I'd done it, which I had. It boiled down to a 2% chance that the word prostate would appear on my death certificate, and that most surgical interventions are done on a false positive. I think "sod that for a game of soldiers" was the agreed conclusion, and a pat on the back for getting the figures about right.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

LarsMac;1513982 wrote: just a CYA tactic for them, probably.

If CYA is what I think it means........that is funny....in the circumstances.

Put a saddle on their donkey ?

Gave me a chuckle anyway.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1513991 wrote: I was instructed by my General Practitioner to go to Google and investigate prostates which struck me at the time as an innovation for health treatment. At a subsequent visit he asked whether I'd done it, which I had. It boiled down to a 2% chance that the word prostate would appear on my death certificate, and that most surgical interventions are done on a false positive. I think "sod that for a game of soldiers" was the agreed conclusion, and a pat on the back for getting the figures about right.

I was only concerned for a moment......that moment I spotted the word 'prostate'.

I soon got over it.

Return to “Fitness Nutrition”