Kill The Gays Legislation Backed By The Pope

Discuss the latest political news.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Pope Benedict XVI has given his blessing to Rebecca Kadaga, Speaker of the Ugandan Parliament, who has promised to pass the country’s notorious anti-gay “kill the gays” bill as a “Christmas gift” to the Ugandan people. Kadaga received the Pope’s blessing during a mass on Dec. 12, the same day Benedict launched his new Twitter account.

Last November Kadaga promised that the draconian anti-gay “kill the gays” bill would pass before the end of 2012, and would be a “Christmas gift” for Uganda’s Christian community.

Pope gives blessing to Ugandan ‘kill the gays’ lawmaker - National Humanist | Examiner.com
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

That is pretty bizarre.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Wow, this is rich coming from the guys who for years have been deliberately moving paedophile priests to other parishes where the abuse often continued.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

So the 'chief' Roman Catholic condones murder !!!!!!!??????? My oh my, I am so glad I am not religious. This sort of thing just convinces me that all these different religions are just so much rubbish. The only thing I can accept from all the various religions are the Ten Commandments. These are necessary for the human race to at least attempt to be civilised - they set a standard of behaviour. One of those 10 Commandments is THOU SHALT NOT KILL !!!! Pope Benedict XVI perhaps you had better read your bible. I think you missed a bit ! I wonder what your god will think of you contravening, blatantly, one of the 10 Commandments ? Now I await somebody's reply in excusing the Pope his descrepancy, and making out that he is not actually condoning the murdering of innocent human beings. :thinking:

Pope Benedict, you may just as well agree with the killing of physically handicapped people, with mentally handicapped people - people born with deformities making them not normal in the accepted meaning of that word. There is no difference between them and somebody born with a different sexual exterior than their inner sexual leaning. Just think on - This Earth of ours is verging on being grossly over-populated. So what does Mother Nature do, yes she produces many humans who will not be interested in procreation ! So what does the 'chief' Roman Catholic do ? He says yes to the murder of these human beings who are not interested in procreation ! He is going against his god's law as well as nature. Oh dear.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
gmc

Post by gmc »

G#Gill;1414543 wrote: So the 'chief' Roman Catholic condones murder !!!!!!!??????? My oh my, I am so glad I am not religious. This sort of thing just convinces me that all these different religions are just so much rubbish. The only thing I can accept from all the various religions are the Ten Commandments. These are necessary for the human race to at least attempt to be civilised - they set a standard of behaviour. One of those 10 Commandments is THOU SHALT NOT KILL !!!! Pope Benedict XVI perhaps you had better read your bible. I think you missed a bit ! I wonder what your god will think of you contravening, blatantly, one of the 10 Commandments ? Now I await somebody's reply in excusing the Pope his descrepancy, and making out that he is not actually condoning the murdering of innocent human beings. :thinking:

Pope Benedict, you may just as well agree with the killing of physically handicapped people, with mentally handicapped people - people born with deformities making them not normal in the accepted meaning of that word. There is no difference between them and somebody born with a different sexual exterior than their inner sexual leaning. Just think on - This Earth of ours is verging on being grossly over-populated. So what does Mother Nature do, yes she produces many humans who will not be interested in procreation ! So what does the 'chief' Roman Catholic do ? He says yes to the murder of these human beings who are not interested in procreation ! He is going against his god's law as well as nature. Oh dear.

tysk tsk don't you know he is guided by god? Don't laugh or you will be burned at the stake as a heretic.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Yeah gmc is right. That's what happened to my great great great great great great great great ancestor Bishop Hugh Latimer in Oxford!
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

What I find really weird is that I cannot find anything about this in any reputable news source.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

To be fair, the Pope giving a blessing to the delegates attending a conference on human rights is not the same as the Pope blessing the policies of the head of that delegation - more of "may God guide you" rather than "go to it son".

As the head of delegation it would have been difficult for the Pope not to have given the guy a blessing - much like a head of state having to shake the hand of another head of state at a summit, he might despise the guy but it would be an international incident to refuse the handshake.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Bryn Mawr;1414551 wrote: To be fair, the Pope giving a blessing to the delegates attending a conference on human rights is not the same as the Pope blessing the policies of the head of that delegation - more of "may God guide you" rather than "go to it son".

As the head of delegation it would have been difficult for the Pope not to have given the guy a blessing - much like a head of state having to shake the hand of another head of state at a summit, he might despise the guy but it would be an international incident to refuse the handshake.Fair point! The Vatican has put out a press release stating as much. Appearances mean everything and I'm surprised the Pope is not more cognoscente of that.

It would be nice if the Pope registered his disagreement for the pending legislation since he's now aware of it. Perhaps that might persuade Kadaga to not offer this bill. She's got nerve showing up at a human rights convention.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ahso!;1414556 wrote: Fair point! The Vatican has put out a press release stating as much. Appearances mean everything and I'm surprised the Pope is not more cognoscente of that.

It would be nice if the Pope registered his disagreement for the pending legislation since he's now aware of it. Perhaps that might persuade Kadaga to not offer this bill. She's got nerve showing up at a human rights convention.

Must be going to speak out against the idea.
Richard Bell

Post by Richard Bell »

Bryn Mawr;1414551 wrote: he might despise the guy but it would be an international incident to refuse the handshake.

Actually, it was the Ugandan Speaker Of The Parliament, Rebecca Kadaga, a woman.

I think it caused a far greater international incident to acknowledge a government official who represents a nation that wanted to impose a death penalty on homosexuals.

Herr Ratzinger couldn't successfully run a church bake sale, let alone the planet's largest Christian religion.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

LarsMac;1414550 wrote: What I find really weird is that I cannot find anything about this in any reputable news source.What part are you looking for confirmation? The bill is real - the meeting with the pope is real - Rebecca Kadaga is real - and the appearance that the Pope was in fact acknowledging Kadaga, who is pushing this legislation, is real.

Bryn made a fair point and I've acknowledged it.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1414559 wrote: What part are you looking for confirmation? The bill is real - the meeting with the pope is real - Rebecca Kadaga is real - and the appearance that the Pope was in fact acknowledging Kadaga, who is pushing this legislation, is real.

Bryn made a fair point and I've acknowledged it.

Don't get crabby.

It is really the headline that is lacking authentication, then.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

LarsMac;1414572 wrote: Don't get crabby.

It is really the headline that is lacking authentication, then.I wasn't annoyed, I was going to help you find whatever it was you were looking for, I just didn't know what it was.

As for the headline - it's difficult to say what was in the Pope's mind (if anything :)), but it sure was stupid of him/them to be seen with this obvious bigot and murderer with her kneeling before him looking like she was receiving a blessing. Not good PR.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I wonder if he even knew who the person was.

He probably blesses so many, he has no time to stop and ask who they are, or what they are about.
- DH Lawrence
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Well I didn't think it would be long before somebody made excuses for Herr Pope's actions in shaking/touching hands in a welcoming manner to a woman 'leader' who is publically promising to murder homosexuals. The photograph is there. The Pope is acknowledging Kadaga. That is a fact ! Consequently it appears to all the world that The Pope, in acknowledging that woman, is condoning murder !

The best I can say is that he has been wrongly advised. But doesn't he ever stop to think of how any of his actions are interpreted by the world ?
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Seems when it comes to the Catholic Church there is no rumor or appearance of impropriety to small to exploit.

according to Vatican spokesman Fr. Federico Lombardi who issued a statement to Vatican Insider: “relations with the delegation were not out of the ordinary and no blessing was given.” The group of Ugandan MPs greeted the Pope “just like any other individuals attending an audience with the Pope would” and this “is by no means a specific sign of approval of Kadaga’’s actions or proposals.”

Lombardi also reiterated the Catholic Church’s absolute opposition to the death penalty, regardless of the case or the country.

VATICAN INSIDER
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

tude dog;1414735 wrote: Seems when it comes to the Catholic Church there is no rumor or appearance of impropriety to small to exploit.

VATICAN INSIDERThis has already been addressed much earlier in the thread.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ahso!;1414746 wrote: This has already been addressed much earlier in the thread.

And?
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Bryn Mawr;1414761 wrote: And?What?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ahso!;1414766 wrote: What?

Do you feel that he is not allowed to add his viewpoint?
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Bryn Mawr;1414774 wrote: Do you feel that he is not allowed to add his viewpoint?Not at all. i was just letting him know, since I started the thread, that it appears he missed the fact that I'd already acknowledged this. There's nothing malicious to my post.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Return to “Current Political Events”