Fiscal Cliff

Discuss the latest political news.
halfway

Fiscal Cliff

Post by halfway »

And now we run to dow 14500 and spx 1550 with all that free money!

Worked for Japan right?
My Journal of a New Endeavor
Ahso!

Fiscal Cliff

Post by Ahso! »

The stock market serves no purpose for the national psyche except to manipulate behavior through creating illusion for the masses and drama for the media. The illusion of the stock market constantly going "up" perpetuates the idea that America is still moving forward. Day trading in the stock market is a BS indicator. The real stock market is the long term holdings, and they remain pretty steady most of the time.

It's similar to the guy who goes to work at the local burger franchise for minimum wage and can't meet the bills. The thought that playing by the rules (working everyday) will somehow make everything okay, but doesn't. Illusion!
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Accountable

Fiscal Cliff

Post by Accountable »

Ahso!;1414897 wrote: I wonder what Jacobson advocated before the election about the republican leadership. Or is he Monday morning quarterbacking?
Dunno, but I don't know anybody that sang Boehner's praises. At best, they laid out plenty of excuses in advance to explain future failure.
Týr

Fiscal Cliff

Post by Týr »

Is there much reported this week that appears in the list at 8 Huge Corporate Handouts in the Fiscal Cliff Bill ?
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
Ahso!

Fiscal Cliff

Post by Ahso! »

I read about that earlier. I believe they're good for a year. Screwy stuff that goes on in the US.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Accountable

Fiscal Cliff

Post by Accountable »

Here is the text. The titles of the sections will give an idea of what was done.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112h ... hr8enr.pdf
Ahso!

Fiscal Cliff

Post by Ahso! »

Accountable;1415179 wrote: Here is the text. The titles of the sections will give an idea of what was done.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112h ... 8enr.pdfBy the looks of that t appears they'd been working on it for quite some time. Last minute deal?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Accountable

Fiscal Cliff

Post by Accountable »

Ahso!;1415180 wrote: By the looks of that t appears they'd been working on it for quite some time. Last minute deal?

You betcha! What was that group put together strictly to write legislation so that elected officials wouldn't have to go to the trouble?

FDR started that, y'know.
Ahso!

Fiscal Cliff

Post by Ahso! »

That's right. I recall reading about them some time ago. The name escapes me too.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Fiscal Cliff

Post by Ahso! »

These guys, right?

Attached files

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Accountable

Fiscal Cliff

Post by Accountable »

Found it. FDR had his Brain Trust. Today it's ALEC ALEC – American Legislative Exchange Council | Limited Government · Free Markets · Federalism but I think ALEC is privately funded.
Ahso!

Fiscal Cliff

Post by Ahso! »

According to wikipedia ALEC models legislation for states.ALEC provides a forum for state legislator and corporate members to collaborate on "model bills"—draft legislation which the members would like to become law. Some of the model bills are then brought back to their respective home states and introduced by ALEC's legislative members. Approximately 200 per year become law.[7] ALEC has produced model legislation on issues such as reducing corporate regulation and taxation, tightening voter identification rules, streamlining or minimizing environmental protections (depending on how one looks at it), and promoting gun rights.[4][7][8] ALEC also serves as a networking tool among state legislators, allowing them to research the handling and "best practices" of policy in other states.[8]
American Legislative Exchange Council - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Saint_

Fiscal Cliff

Post by Saint_ »

A bunch of smart ALEC'S ...sorry. Couldn't resist...
Accountable

Fiscal Cliff

Post by Accountable »

halfway

Fiscal Cliff

Post by halfway »

When you've conditioned (enslaved) a large portion of society to "expect" and "rely" on the entitlements and benefits you promised, how can any of those budgets undergo cuts without political suicide.

Be clear that grandma needs her check as does Sally, unwed mother of three, and Joey with MD. We have an obligation to help those that cannot help themselves.

But are we adding dependency to the rolls everyday? How much of a safety net is enough?

Can we use Greece, Portugal, Spain, or Italy as examples in this case and part of an intellectual argument? Do we have to use the same old playbook of more government, more control, less liberty?
flopstock

Fiscal Cliff

Post by flopstock »

Ya know who I would vote for?

The guys or gals who would stand up and tell us that they will only serve one term... that we won't like what they will propose in order to get our house in order... that everyone will be unhappy with at least one aspect of it (at a minimum)... but that at the end of that term we will be headed in the other direction from economic ruin.

'We the people' need to commit ourselves to accepting the hard times on ourselves and not just the other guy.

And that is my dream world...:wah:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

halfway

Fiscal Cliff

Post by halfway »

flopstock;1417602 wrote:

And that is my dream world...:wah:

Pretty reasonable dream I believe. :)

Return to “Current Political Events”