Tablets

chonsigirl

Tablets

Post by chonsigirl »

How many of you have them now? Do you like them or prefer a traditional computer or laptop?

I got a little Acer Iconia yesterday, pretty spiffy. Mostly so I could watch Netflix (free off my son's account....LOL) to make myself more comfortable in the lazy boy when my leg needs to up. But as long as I have Word and all on it, I can still work on things slowly if I choose to while being a slug.

The net works pretty good on it, I know most places I visit on the net come up just fine.
chonsigirl

Tablets

Post by chonsigirl »

Wow, I wrote that opening post and it automatically put that link in, how did it do that?! I didn't put it in! Sneaky old web.........
Snooz

Tablets

Post by Snooz »

That happened with one of koan's post when she mentioned Michael Jackson. Watch, it'll do it here too. It's some ad capture program that Tombstore added a while ago.

I've got a Kindle Fire but it's not what I'd call a tablet although I guess it is.

You know what would work great if you get tired of the smaller screen is having a little lap table with a laptop on it. The screen is bigger and you don't have to constantly hold it.
Snooz

Tablets

Post by Snooz »

LOL, of course it didn't work. Beatles. Elvis Presley. Frank Sinatra.

ETA: Look, I fixed it! :p
chonsigirl

Tablets

Post by chonsigirl »

Evis is in the house............................!
Snooz

Tablets

Post by Snooz »

Oh for pete's sake, those links weren't there when I first posted. The forum is playing tricks on me to make me look stupid.
Accountable

Tablets

Post by Accountable »

chonsigirl;1390766 wrote: How many of you have them now? Do you like them or prefer a traditional computer or laptop?

I got a little Acer Iconia yesterday, pretty spiffy. Mostly so I could watch Netflix (free off my son's account....LOL) to make myself more comfortable in the lazy boy when my leg needs to up. But as long as I have Word and all on it, I can still work on things slowly if I choose to while being a slug.

The net works pretty good on it, I know most places I visit on the net come up just fine.
I'm hoping (a little) that one of my laptops will break and give me the excuse to try a tablet. I would rather not be tied to a wifi hot spot, though. If I'm going new, I think I want to go with that 4G or whatever the fastest thing is at the time. I understand there's a small tablet/giant cell phone that would fit the bill, but I haven't really researched it.

How do you like your screen and all its features?
LarsMac

Tablets

Post by LarsMac »

SnoozeAgain;1390772 wrote: That happened with one of koan's post when she mentioned Michael Jackson. Watch, it'll do it here too. It's some ad capture program that Tombstore added a while ago.

I've got a Kindle Fire but it's not what I'd call a tablet although I guess it is.

You know what would work great if you get tired of the smaller screen is having a little lap table with a laptop on it. The screen is bigger and you don't have to constantly hold it.

My only complaint on the Fire, so far, is unlike the other Kindles, it doesn't read well in sun light.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Tablets

Post by gmc »

Tablet is for eating, desktop PC for me every time. I like a big screen, even laptops annoy me.
Snooz

Tablets

Post by Snooz »

It's not as comfortable to hold either. The edges are boxy with sharper edges than its streamlined predecessor and the tablet itself is heavier.
Wandrin

Tablets

Post by Wandrin »

I have an iPad that I primarily use for newspaper and magazine subscriptions, although I have a couple of ebooks loaded on it as well. Recently, I began to use it for topographical maps.

I got the version that is capable of network service (3G) but did not activate the service. The reason is that the WiFI-only versions do not have GPS.

I met a guy in a campground last week who has a little pocket for his iPad on his dashboard and uses it as his vehicle's navigation/GPS system.

I still prefer my laptop for work and writing. The software for tablets isn't quite there yet for what I do.
Accountable

Tablets

Post by Accountable »

gmc;1390785 wrote: Tablet is for eating, desktop PC for me every time. I like a big screen, even laptops annoy me.
I have a netbook that at home I hook up to a full-size monitor and cordless keyboard & mouse. It's just like a desktop.
chonsigirl

Tablets

Post by chonsigirl »

The netbooks were nice, I have seen some nice ones every time I go researching. Much smaller to tote around-but for that stuff I will take my traditional laptop and I have a small scanner.

I like the little tablet so far. It is a little heavier than the ipad, but then, it cost about $2-300 less......for what I will use it for, it is just fine. Has wifi and word, and my kids will teach me all the other things it does. (my daugher picked it up, and checked out the camera and microphone stuff, she said it was cool....I was clueless since I never use that stuff but was thinking potential of getting one so I can talk to my grandson on it.....)
Betty Boop

Tablets

Post by Betty Boop »

My son has an ipad issued to him from his academy, must remember not to call it a school. Anyway, they reckon it's cheaper to lease the ipads and supply every student with one, when you consider how much text books would cost to supply I guess the academy must have got their maths right. My one beef with the ipad is there is no built in child protection on them. My son has my old laptop with K9 protecting him from visiting sites he shouldn't be. There's around 900 children in this area, each with an ipad, some of those have access to the internet with no protection running, it's quite horrifying really. My son's ipad only accesses the internet at the academy, he has his laptop for any research he has to do and that's the way it's staying.

It looks like a nice bit of kit, I've had a bit of a play around on it and can see the advantages of taking it on holiday but for everyday use I think I'd miss a proper keyboard and mouse. I'll stick to my laptop thanks, which is no longer portable, due to a dodgy hinge from when I dropped it - oooops, I was in labour at the time :wah: I'm amazed it still works!
Lon

Tablets

Post by Lon »

:wah:gmc;1390785 wrote: Tablet is for eating, desktop PC for me every time. I like a big screen, even laptops annoy me.

You are annoyed because you probably need glasses.:wah:
gmc

Tablets

Post by gmc »

Lon;1390828 wrote: :wah:

You are annoyed because you probably need glasses.:wah:

:yh_rotfl I do wear glasses as it happens and yes I am conscious of the damage staring at a screen can do. If I'm going to use a computer I prefer top sit down and do it properly, am think about getting a sony reader though.
Bryn Mawr

Tablets

Post by Bryn Mawr »

chonsigirl;1390767 wrote: Wow, I wrote that opening post and it automatically put that link in, how did it do that?! I didn't put it in! Sneaky old web.........

That's Skimlinks at a guess - a feature Chris installed and I've not managed to get into yet.

Oddly enough, I cannot see a link there at all.
along-for-the-ride

Tablets

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I got a great deal on an ASUS Eee Seashell series netbook today. I finally got it connected to the internet. I had to call Tech support and after just a few minutes, the deed was done.

I do have to get used to this "netbook technique" (I never even had a notebook before), but I like it so far.

High Five and WiFi....
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Vaishali

Tablets

Post by Vaishali »

Yes, I agree that Tablets are making its own importance now. Tablet PC tends to be changing the way in which people are working, reading, composing, networking as well as how we change the television stations. There are plenty associated with models of Tablet computer coming out this season and more people are curious about how they can make the most out of their tablet computer. But I prefer the first Desktop and laptops. Desktops are first priority for everyone.

Return to “Computers Internet”