Hello fellow truth seekers

New member introductions. Tell us a little about yourself. Then, click on "Blogs" above and start your own personal blog!
Infinite Stop

Post by Infinite Stop »

Hi. It's all about me.

No, I'm kidding.

I joined this club of thinkers not because I believe I have anything valuable to offer, but because my summer work has yet to start. As long as I have some free time I might as well irritate as many people as I can.;) Hate to waste a good opportunity. ;) Joking aside, it's also for what I can learn from others.

For anyone that cares to know, I am a theist. I believe--no, I know--of God's existence. I know, that's a bold thing to say, even in a religious forum! I don't say that arrogantly, but with confidence. I base this knowledge on a revelation of God that I experienced on March 28th 1987, 11:50 p.m. That's when God revealed Itself to me. Notice I refer to God as "It," not be be disrespectful, but because I have no reason think of God as any more a "her" than a "him."

I don't like religion. No, let me clarify: I don't like the pain and sorrow that religion has caused. And I think that Christianity is based on a fable; it was basically invented by the radical and brilliant Jew, Saul of Tarsus. But that's a whole thread in itself, isn't it? Actually, it's more like a thousand threads. ;) Judaism and Islam are no better for me. The God of the Jews is too infantile and violent; and Islam is Christianity plagiarized. But I have to add, I believe that God will love, bless, forgive or heal anyone It so chooses without regard to ones professed faith. What's important is ones heart, not the tenets of a religious system.

Still, I like to think that all people have great value, as they are part of God's creation. All people are deserving of respect, if for only the suffering they endure.

If I debate, I debate with conviction. If I am confronted with a superior argument I like to think that I'm big enough to admit the defeat. Even though I'm a theist, I often argue from the fence--so to speak--rather than one side or the other if I think that objectivity in the debate will serve a higher purpose. Otherwise I see no reason to pretend to be anything other than the theist I am. In the past, in other forums, I have done just that, arguing in disguise. Not here, not this time.

Anyway it's nice to be in such good company. I can't wait to hear how stupid and irrational I am as a silly theist!--LOL I have to say, though, that if I get hit with a lot of work (and I probably will) then you most likely won't be seeing me much. (OOOOHHH! they all sigh) But I don't expect my absence to cause much of a stir. :)
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I would miss you... I thoroughly enjoy your threads.

Good luck with your work.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Infinite Stop

Post by Infinite Stop »

oscar;1390635 wrote: I would miss you... I thoroughly enjoy your threads.

Good luck with your work.

Oh, thanks. I've run across some of your threads, but I've yet to figure out where you stand on the chessboard of religion and faith. (silly metaphor, I know:)) Still, I've seen enough to know you're no dummy. And, oh, how we all hate a dummy. LOL
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Infinite Stop;1390636 wrote: Oh, thanks. I've run across some of your threads, but I've yet to figure out where you stand on the chessboard of religion and faith. (silly metaphor, I know:)) Still, I've seen enough to know you're no dummy. And, oh, how we all hate a dummy. LOL
Awww thanks....

Well, I've always been a kind of ' show me the money type'... and I suppose that means I'm a non believer simply because I've yet to see proof of the existence of a God. However, I would never ridicule those who have... maybe I'm just waiting...
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Infinite Stop

Post by Infinite Stop »

oscar;1390638 wrote: Awww thanks....

Well, I've always been a kind of ' show me the money type'... and I suppose that means I'm a non believer simply because I've yet to see proof of the existence of a God. However, I would never ridicule those who have... maybe I'm just waiting...

Forget "waiting" try "asking."

(What else could you expect from a theist--LOL)
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Is this a religious forum? I've noticed all the god threads but I was hoping it was just a phase we were going through.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

SnoozeAgain;1390667 wrote: Is this a religious forum? I've noticed all the god threads but I was hoping it was just a phase we were going through.
Maybe you should have been praying instead! ;-)
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I can't quite pin down who I should pray to... the spark of energy that corporeal entities return to after their brief existence in meat suits, maybe.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, I reckon Theist is as good a word as any.

I am a devout heretic.

I believe religion has ruined more people's relationships with God than any other phenomenon.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Post by gmc »

SnoozeAgain;1390667 wrote: Is this a religious forum? I've noticed all the god threads but I was hoping it was just a phase we were going through.

Don't bother reading them. I like talking about religion but bou soon learn which posters want to talk and which just proselytise and which get annoyed if you post in the middle of them talking to themselves.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Infinite Stop;1390633 wrote:

I have to say, though, that if I get hit with a lot of work (and I probably will) then you most likely won't be seeing me much. (OOOOHHH! they all sigh) But I don't expect my absence to cause much of a stir. :)

In your short time here you've added a lot to the discussions and I've enjoyed crossing words with you.

As and when you can find time for us between the work we'll be here and you'll be welcome.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Work is something you do to get enough money to do the things you would rather be doing if you didn't have to work in the first place.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

gmc;1390857 wrote: Work is something you do to get enough money to do the things you would rather be doing if you didn't have to work in the first place.

I get paid to do what I would do if I didn't have to work.

(Don't tell my boss that)
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

LarsMac;1390860 wrote: I get paid to do what I would do if I didn't have to work.

(Don't tell my boss that)

If thats true, I want your bosses job.
rajakrsna

Post by rajakrsna »

Infinite Stop;1390633 wrote: I base this knowledge on a revelation of God that I experienced on March 28th 1987, 11:50 p.m.

I became officially the Municipal Health Officer of Sagay, Camiguin Island, Philippines on that date. When I reported for work I brought with me a clutch bag the contents inside was a stethoscope, a blood pressure apparatus, a thermometer, a palm size book Bhagavad-gita & a 38 Smith & Wesson revolver. At the back of my pant`s pocket was a bamboo flute.

Camiguin - YouTube
Om namo bagavate vasudevaya, " God is the Cause of All causes."
Infinite Stop

Post by Infinite Stop »

It's probably a phase, like you say. Don't worry, it will probably pass. Chances are that with growing wisdom you too will become a theist. ;)
rajakrsna

Post by rajakrsna »

Infinite Stop;1390905 wrote: It's probably a phase, like you say. Don't worry, it will probably pass. Chances are that with growing wisdom you too will become a theist. ;)

Snooze Again a theist? How can a firetruck be a theist?
Om namo bagavate vasudevaya, " God is the Cause of All causes."
Infinite Stop

Post by Infinite Stop »

rajakrsna;1390963 wrote: Snooze Again a theist? How can a firetruck be a theist?

I say that nothing is beyond the power of God. I used to be an atheist. I used to laugh at people that claimed God and the spirit world. Now, twenty five years later I claim to have had a revelation of God and to have received communications from dead people. And no, I'm not mentally ill; I'm remarkably sane. I will admit that when I was young I was not a nice person. I stole money and had an evil heart for others. But God loved me and put me on another course. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a mess. I drink rum, still swear when aggravated, and am quick to anger and hateful thoughts for those that get under my skin. But you should have seen me twenty five years ago. The miracle of revelation was intantaneous, but the transformation of the self has occurred over many, many years, and is still occurring.

Maybe a firetruck can't become an theist, like you say. But I do believe that a sinner can be redeemed; a sick person can be healed; and an atheist can become a theist, if they open their heart and mind to the greatest force in the universe, which must be the love of God. That's not me preaching; it's me acknowledging the power of love and the reality of God.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Infinite Stop;1391012 wrote: I say that nothing is beyond the power of God. I used to be an atheist. I used to laugh at people that claimed God and the spirit world. Now, twenty five years later I claim to have had a revelation of God and to have received communications from dead people. And no, I'm not mentally ill; I'm remarkably sane. I will admit that when I was young I was not a nice person. I stole money and had an evil heart for others. But God loved me and put me on another course. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a mess. I drink rum, still swear when aggravated, and am quick to anger and hateful thoughts for those that get under my skin. But you should have seen me twenty five years ago. The miracle of revelation was intantaneous, but the transformation of the self has occurred over many, many years, and is still occurring.

Maybe a firetruck can't become an theist, like you say. But I do believe that a sinner can be redeemed; a sick person can be healed; and an atheist can become a theist, if they open their heart and mind to the greatest force in the universe, which must be the love of God. That's not me preaching; it's me acknowledging the power of love and the reality of God.So like many individuals who (re)turn to religion later, guilt was the driving force? That suggests that the precepts of that guilt were most likely instilled at a young age, though that's not necessary all together.

One might think that once one surrenders to God completely then God takes over that life and heals the individual completely.

As for being mentally ill, I don't think anyone here has made that assertion. I've said you've experienced delusion but since I don't subscribe to mental illness other than in the case of injury, my concept of delusion is absolutely a part of the human condition. Like anything else with living beings, it's strictly a matter of degree.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Infinite Stop

Post by Infinite Stop »

Ahso!;1391019 wrote: So like many individuals who (re)turn to religion later, guilt was the driving force? That suggests that the precepts of that guilt were most likely instilled at a young age, though that's not necessary all together.

One might think that once one surrenders to God completely then God takes over that life and heals the individual completely.

As for being mentally ill, I don't think anyone here has made that assertion. I've said you've experienced delusion but since I don't subscribe to mental illness other than in the case of injury, my concept of delusion is absolutely a part of the human condition. Like anything else with living beings, it's strictly a matter of degree.

I did not receive a revelation because I "returned to religion." On the contrary, that miracle of revelation occurred in the context of doubt and disbelief. A relative was trying to convince me of the reality of Christ as God's son, and I laughed. Then something welled up inside me, and I said (to paraphrase),"If God is real then I could be a drug addict, a bum, or dying in a car accident, and God could save me just...like...THAT!" I then snapped my fingers for emphasis. Within a matter of seconds, God did just that; that is, It "saved" me with an instantaneous healing and a revelation of Its existence. I could literally feel the power of God surge through my body. Not suprisingly, I wept tears of gratitude for fifteen minutes. All the emotional pain I'd experienced over the years was washed away, and I knew that God was real. There was no pondering the experience and then concluding God; no I knew instantly and without doubt that God had just "touched me," healed me, and forgiven me.

In regard to your second line: I think that's not realistic at all for you to say. Consider the lives of the saints. Were they "completely" healed in their calling to be great for God? No, on the contrary it was through suffering that they grew spiritually. Life is real, and so are its problems; and as long as there are problems there will always be strife, sickness and trouble, even for the Godliest of folks. (and no, I'm not putting myself in the class of "Godliest of folks.)

Return to “Introductions”