Unintelligibly illiterate BBC News article link text

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

We've got those in our area. My favourite is Gritter Garbo.

https://www.hants.gov.uk/news/Dec12BBCr ... ittergarbo
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I got a big kick out of this one this morning

Link: BBC Says Youtube aids Flat Earth conspiracy

So somehow, YouTube is helping spread the stupidity?

I love the sample size of the "survey"
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

I'm puzzled by the reporting on Brunei this week. The headline reads "Brunei implements stoning to death under new anti-LGBT laws".

Why on earth is there this worldwide focus on the LGBT community in this instance?

The penalty is identical for same-sex and mixed-sex breaches of the law. Brunei law makes sex outside of marriage illegal. The same punishment is applied to men and to women for engaging in sex outside of marriage regardless of the gender of their partner. This is not an LGBT issue, it is a power-crazed religious insanity issue. Sultan Hassan al Bolkiah has his personal religious faith in monotheism for which I would happily see him committed to an asylum for re-education along with the entire hierarchy of the Church of England. Extending that personal religious faith into the political sphere and using it to dictate legislation should, here and everywhere, be a crime against humanity.

What's needed isn't LGBT protection, it's the total abandonment of this delusional belief in a non-existent all-powerful bogey-god regardless of what name it carries.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

spot;1522781 wrote: What's needed isn't LGBT protection, it's the total abandonment of this delusional belief in a non-existent all-powerful bogey-god regardless of what name it carries.

I'm puzzled by the latest aspect of this story:

Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah on Sunday extended a moratorium on the death penalty to cover the new legislation.

Brunei says it won't enforce death penalty for gay sex

So the amputations are still on track?

Brunei clearly remains a land of medieval barbarity in the 21st century.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

The system would be able to identify the temperatures of individual fields of about 40 square km, 10 times more detailed than is currently possible.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-48527188

What?

That might, just possibly, be out by a factor of a million. Depending on what it's meant to mean, which is not an easy guess.
spot

Post by spot »

"This has led to shortages of imported goods and products that are made with raw materials from abroad, most notably babies' nappies. "

Eww! BBC!

Don't do that. Really. Not at the breakfast table.
spot

Post by spot »

Putting her to bed, he says: "I love you tonnes."

For goodness sake BBC, don't metricate idioms!!

A tonne is a metric unit of mass, 1000kg.

A ton is an English idiomatic expression meaning "lots".

The word ton is not obsolete. The script-writer was not referring to a weight, and if he had been it would anyway have been the current American Imperial unit which is still called the ton.

I detest repetitive language abuse and this was not a spelling error.
spot

Post by spot »

"Butterfly previously extinct in England bred in forest"

Buy your sub-editors a dictionary subscription, BBC. Get them to look up words like "extinct". This level of imprecision is pitiful.
spot

Post by spot »

Thousands of dead fish in Kentucky river after Jim Beam warehouse fire

How on earth is that considered newsworthy?

The most recent figure I can easily bump into is that "in 2005, the United States harvested 4,888,621 tonnes of fish from wild fisheries". I would say that's of the order of a million times more nasty, with the added insult that it's deliberate. If anything's newsworthy relating to fish it's this commercial Armageddon, not a minor instance of pollution in a backwater tributary of the Ohio river.
spot

Post by spot »

Oh dear.

spot

Post by spot »

"England's seaside towns where young people might disappear"

That is scare-mongering clickbait plain and simple. The story is that there's a statistical likelihood of economic migration from most seaside towns to big cities for the under-30s, reducing the proportion of the population in that age-group. The link text shrieks serial murder on an Argentinian Junta scale. The BBC news site editorial team has done this deliberately and they should be held to account, it is despicable tabloid journalism.
spot

Post by spot »

The new version in development could generate enough electricity for more than 1,700 homes a year, the government said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... d-49471881

The government should go back to school for remedial intervention then. It's obviously generating enough electricity for more than 1,700 homes a second.

The BBC website news reports are scandalously illiterate. I blame the staff.

What the report ought to also point out is that we'd need 45,000 of the boat displayed to keep the grid fully supplied. I doubt we'll get them, or that the upgrade "in development" is orders-of-magnitude higher power. For comparison, this one generates the equivalent of one average-sized wind turbine. The tide races adequately less than half the time, the wind blows adequately less then half the time, my comparison is based on flat-out performance.

For reference, a ballpark average electricity consumption figure for homes in the UK is about 700W. 1,700 homes is around 1MW. The boat displayed can reach 2MW at maximum production. I don't think they expect to get maximum production from these generators for most of the time, by the sound of it.
spot

Post by spot »

"How satellites have to swerve space junk"?

What?

How illiterate can the BBC get.

How about "How satellites have to avoid space junk".
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1524789 wrote: "How satellites have to swerve space junk"?

What?

How illiterate can the BBC get.

How about "How satellites have to avoid space junk".

Eh. Literacy is overrated.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

Students sent ad for 'inappropriate' private loans

The students should obviously be sent down then, or prosecuted, or expelled.

Except, of course, the BBC clickbait is junk. Of course they didn't, they sent nothing. An inappropriate private loan invitation was sent to a bunch of students by someone at UCAS who should presumably have known better with a subtext of maybe money changed hands under the table.

Bad cess, BBC editorial staff. Clamp down hard on your rogue clickbait enthusiast.
spot

Post by spot »

Renee Zellweger plays the titular role in Judy, which is released in the UK next month.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49265599

Titular role? As opposed to title role?

I think not, BBC. I think your copy editor just bunked off early and didn't look at the article.

Titular: Nominal, especially as opposed to real or actual.

eta: I have seen the OED 3b reference to eponymous and concede today's usage might fall within the category, but it's still an ugly pointless complication of a far cleaner commonplace alternative. The OED would do better to regard their one quote for "a titular rôle in Spenser's romance" as overweening floridity.

I'll be especially peeved if the BBC's sentence ends up in the OED.
spot

Post by spot »

There's an entire article on a scare story which has no merit whatever.

It relates to sulphur hexafluoride, a gas used mainly as an electrical insulator in high voltage systems.

Climate change: Electrical industry's 'dirty secret' boosts warming

It's the most powerful greenhouse gas known to humanity, and emissions have risen rapidly in recent years, the BBC has learned.

Sulphur hexafluoride, or SF6, is widely used in the electrical industry to prevent short circuits and accidents.

But leaks of the little-known gas in the UK and the rest of the EU in 2017 were the equivalent of putting an extra 1.3 million cars on the road.

Levels are rising as an unintended consequence of the green energy boom.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-envi ... ting-story

So. 23,000 times more powerful at global warming than carbon dioxide, right. Partly what each molecule can hold back radiation by and partly by staying in the atmosphere for up to 3,200 years. Okay, let's take it as a good figure.

My estimate for the total worldwide man-made production of the gas since ever is a quarter of a million tonnes.

If you posit the extreme case that every molecule ever manufactured has already entered the atmosphere - and bear in mind much of this stuff actually gets recovered rather than released, but let it all be in the atmosphere - and then you do the sum, the total addition to global warming attributable to this demon gas that's suddenly going to kill the planet would even in that extreme case be below 0.1%.

I do wish the BBC would try for coherence instead of terror-mongering.

Ozone destruction, by contrast, total death of all life on the planet. Sulphur hexafluoride in the atmosphere, trivial by any measure on offer. Someone please show me how sulphur hexafluoride in the atmosphere can have any significant effect.
spot

Post by spot »

"The Darwin Mounds lie 1,000m (328ft) beneath the surface of the North Atlantic"

I'm horrified. Who checks!
spot

Post by spot »

Whoever created the link text "Congregation of city's last Synagogue captured" should be demoted to departmental sanitizing assistant. It's both sensationalist clickbaiting and a provocative lie, it sounds more like what the BBC ought to have reported out of Lvov in 1944 but didn't.
spot

Post by spot »

"Lord of the Rings returns to New Zealand with Amazon TV show"

What???

That is such total cobblers. Amazon is creating an entirely different Tolkien Middle Earth product set in an entirely different age. The Lord of the Rings is not returning in the slightest.

Perhaps the BBC should find reporters capable of understanding the story they're writing.

While we're at it, "Saudi Arabia oil drone attack 'a blow for the world'" is upside down too. The Saudi Arabia oil drone attack is a blow against the world, not a blow for the world. The world has not attacked the Saudi Arabia oil facility. Neither is it a blow at all, it's a pinprick, most of the production volume has been re-established already.
spot

Post by spot »

"Tank launched into air by chemical factory blast"

No, BBC. A tank is a fifty ton road vehicle with a turret and a paranoid crew convinced the world is out to get them. The thing in the video launched into the air by a chemical factory blast is a barrel. Stop exaggerating to make clickbait.

The barrel launched into the air by a chemical factory blast is not interesting, the world was going click to see the fifty ton road vehicle headed for the stratosphere.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

" my answer to your question may not be the one you wanted but it is an answer, in the same way that your question may not be the one I wanted but it is a question. Reply , response, answer. They're all noise made after the question that serves our purposes.

Shaun Micallefs Mad as Hell :)
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Post by spot »

I present the following from today's website.

The slim mould - Physarum polycephalum - has almost 720 sexes and has been described as one of "nature's mysteries" by scientists.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-e ... scientists

It may well be puzzling scientists. Attributing a slender disposition to fungi is rare indeed. The lightbulb moment comes when one discovers it is in fact a slime mould.
spot

Post by spot »

I'm still wondering whether my ears deceived me just now. While discussing a new product on the market, the pelvic floor exerciser, a radio four news presenter said of the inventor that "she isn't beating around the bush". Even Kenneth Horne would have blushed at that one.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

KH regularly features on the 4Extra schedule .

'Round the Horn ' is amazingly unfunny with Pat Lancaster and then the Frazer Hayes Quartet . Things were really grim in those days .

But have you picked up on Ed Reardon ?

Class .

Top of .

spot

Post by spot »

Some things have aged well, others have failed to. Almost contemporary with RH was Much Binding In The Marsh and really, that has not translated into the twenty first century at all. Richard Wattis, if I remember, figured in the background quite often.

The Fraser Hayes Four was an unavoidable aspect of Home Service comedy back then. The musical interlude had been cemented in place from ITMA onward, the Goons had to tolerate it, even ISIRTA maintained the format though the talent itself took charge and Bill Oddie wrote well over a hundred pieces to fill the demand. I still quite admire some of those if I'm honest. His Joe Cocker version of Ilkley Moor, for instance, remains definitive and out-Cockers the man himself, whenever I bring Mr Cocker to mind it's that which I hear.

The other bunch which is inextricably tied in my head to The Fraser Hayes Four had, I suspect, sod all to do with them, it's merely a sign of dementia onset. They were Lord Rockingham's Eleven and undoubtedly the numerical suffix is the link. I loved their music [1] over most of the competition back then (Clinton Ford, for instance; anyone called Max, Dicky or Des) along with Wagner, but in mitigation I had a tough decade or two after the war and the competition to LRE was singularly talentless. They - LRE - turned out to be a scratch band composed of artistes from the BBC Symphony Orchestra moonlighting. Or perhaps I made that up half a century back and I've forgotten its fictional origins, who can tell at this point.

But I digress. I would still describe Jules and Sandy as having changed the national consciousness and led the way to Modern England but that was not really my point. I was, rather, thinking of Barry Took and that cross-eyed chap who wrote Kenneth Horne's material - they definitely would have taken a punt on the newsreader's line. Feldman. KH occasionally apologized on air for what those two made him inflict on the public.

[1]: Wee Tom And The Wee Broon Coo, for instance. Nobody writes them like that any more, least of all with such blatant key changes. Och Aye.
spot

Post by spot »

Dear BBC.

Ambiguity has no place on the news site of the national broadcaster.

The link and title "Rapist jailed 30 years after attack on Cardiff dog walker" does not include an account of a rapist getting sentence to 30 years in jail. It is clickbait, like so much of your links and titles these days. Please revise your ways. Fire some staff on the BBC News website to encourage their replacements to behave better.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1526627 wrote: Dear BBC.

Ambiguity has no place on the news site of the national broadcaster.

The link and title "Rapist jailed 30 years after attack on Cardiff dog walker" does not include an account of a rapist getting sentence to 30 years in jail. It is clickbait, like so much of your links and titles these days. Please revise your ways. Fire some staff on the BBC News website to encourage their replacements to behave better.

I don't see anything about a 30 year sentence being implied in the headline or in the article.

Only that the sentence came 30 years after the offense.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

I'm not sure it can be decided, hence the ambiguity. I would much prefer the site to avoid abbreviation in its links, and to be consequently clearer.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1526636 wrote: I'm not sure it can be decided, hence the ambiguity. I would much prefer the site to avoid abbreviation in its links, and to be consequently clearer.

I’m with Lars on this one, it would need a “for” in it to hold your meaning.
spot

Post by spot »

Raphael;1526535 wrote: But have you picked up on Ed Reardon ?

Class .

Top of .

I have just searched on iSounds and sampled one about four sausages.

Perhaps this explains where your interpersonal style originated?
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

More likely explains where Ed and his alter ego , Christopher , got their inspiration .

Humble bow .

As you might learn with further sampling , Ed's only real success was a single episode script for Tenko .

One of the many running jokes .

Multi award winners . Ed and I .Naturally .
spot

Post by spot »

A classical violinist is pleading for help from the public after leaving a 310-year-old violin worth £250,000 on a train.

Stephen Morris forgot to pick up his handmade David Tecchler violin as he left the London to Orpington service at Penge East last Tuesday night.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... n-on-train

What bozo thought "handmade" was informative in this context? I do wish they'd attribute articles to perpetrators.
spot

Post by spot »

New Zealand swat Wales aside to win Rugby World Cup bronze final.

No, I've stared at it and I can't work out what the word "final" adds to that headline.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1526996 wrote: New Zealand swat Wales aside to win Rugby World Cup bronze final.

No, I've stared at it and I can't work out what the word "final" adds to that headline.

The author just wanted to rub it in that NZ is done?
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1526996 wrote: New Zealand swat Wales aside to win Rugby World Cup bronze final.

It’s the bronze that caught my eye, if anything they’re usually known as the “a” final and the “b” final - I’ve never seen them referred to as the gold final and the bronze final.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr;1527003 wrote: It’s the bronze that caught my eye, if anything they’re usually known as the “a” final and the “b” final - I’ve never seen them referred to as the gold final and the bronze final.

Nor have I, actually.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

Lordy me, the way things get twisted.

According to the Guardian, John Bercow has claimed that Britain fighting in World War Two was an even bigger mistake than Brexit.

That is, of course, not what John Bercow said at all.

Guardian version: "Brexit is UK's biggest mistake since second world war".

Actual quote: "Brexit is the biggest mistake of this country after the war".

Now me, I'd agree with both statements but that's just me. That's not what John Bercow said.

ETA: I've just watched the interview and even the Guardian's text in quotes is not what I heard. What was said is "Brexit is the biggest foreign policy blunder of the post-war period".
spot

Post by spot »

I do wish some exemplar at the Guardian could show her colleagues how to legitimately deploy quotes. Does the Guardian Style Book have nothing to say on the matter?

One witness described the brawl as “one of the scariest moments of her life”.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ham-cinema

No, that is not credible. That is a paraphrase or a statement, it can not possibly be a quote. The sentence is fine and may even be truthful if the quote marks are omitted but it can be neither as it stands.
spot

Post by spot »

I'm wondering why https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-50644545 switches randomly between the words Neuron and Neurone. I'm unaware of any distinction in meaning between the two spellings but it does make the article harder to follow.

"By the late 20th cent. the form neuron was the commoner of the two, and had become standard in scientific usage", as the OED puts it.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

I must admit that this one amused me, the headline is “Restored Spitfire pilots return after record breaking trip”. How the pilots have been restored is not made clear.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... world-trip
spot

Post by spot »

One only hopes it can be bottled.
spot

Post by spot »

Plastic pollution has killed half a million hermit crabs, study says

On Frinton beach-front? Along the whole of the Sussex coastline? Worldwide?

Daily? Annually? Since the first plastics product was thrown into the ocean? Nowhere in the article is there a hint of a time-frame which means we're looking at anything between 10 and 200,000 kilos of crab a day. Frinton beach-front might sustain the former figure but it would lose its tourist credentials if it had the latter.

This is just careless BBC reporting.

Half a million hermit crabs weigh, on a rough but informed estimate, the same as one month's commercial crab catch in Cornwall alone. What exactly are we meant to be deploring here.

It gets worse - the researchers "extrapolated their findings to estimate totals for the islands". Why just for the islands? Why not for the entire ocean. The world. The solar system. The half a million hermit crabs turn out to be what we in the trade call a guess as opposed to a census. A class from Year 4 Primary could have written up as good a report as this from a half day on a local beach.

Ecological catastrophe stories are clearly the in thing.
spot

Post by spot »

This is just getting ridiculous. This is science illiteracy on a deliberately incendiary News-of-the-World scale. This is tabloid tripe.

Oceans running out of oxygen say scientists

A warmer world means oceans are able to hold less dissolved oxygen, which is bad news for many fish.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-50690995

What unadulterated garbage.

There are oxygen-depleted areas in the oceans - the Baltic is the immediate example - and always have been. Oxygen dissolved in sea-water varies enormously on depth, water mixing and biological activity. It also varies predictably on temperature. The first range gives a ten-fold variation, the second gives huge variation on depth as there are temperature and salinity walls as you get deeper - thermoclines. A 2% decline by 2100 may possibly refer to a specific surface layer, it quite obviously doesn't apply to "the oceans" and even if it did it's well within the tolerances fish cope with on a daily variability basis.

https://www.fondriest.com/environmental ... ed-oxygen/ is a magnificent resource. The BBC news website article is just embarrassing.
spot

Post by spot »

I will ask this more in despair than anything else.

What on earth is the Guardian thinking here:

Eagle v octopus: Canadians rescue bird locked in battle with giant mollusc

Employees at a fish farm in Vancouver Island intervened when an eagle tried to eat a large octopus, resulting in a battle

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... nt-mollusc

Mollusc?

They could just as appropriately say the eagle was fighting a banana.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1528685 wrote: I will ask this more in despair than anything else.

What on earth is the Guardian thinking here:

Mollusc?

The could just as appropriately say the eagle was attacked by a banana.

Not sure I understand your issue, here.

Octopus is members of the Mollusc Phyllum.

Though referring to the critter as a Mollusc is not unlike referring to a human as a Chordate, or a Vertebrate.

Banana, on the other hand, would be a bit of a reach.

Besides, the Eagle apparently was the attacker.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

Anyone who worked round Whitechapel remembers Tubby Isaacs' mollusc stall and he wasn't selling octopuses, he was selling clams, oysters, cockles, mussels, scallops and whelks alive-alive-o, quite probably between two slices of bread.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1528687 wrote: Anyone who worked round Whitechapel remembers Tubby Isaacs' mollusc stall and he wasn't selling octopuses, he was selling clams, oysters, cockles, mussels, scallops and whelks alive-alive-o, quite probably between two slices of bread.

Hope he removed the shells before applying the bread

However, not all Mollusks have shells

wrote:

Common octopus (Octopus vulgaris)

Scientific classification

Kingdom: Animalia

Phylum: Mollusca

Class: Cephalopoda

Subclass: Coleoidea (unranked):

Neocoleoidea Superorder: Octopodiformes

Order: Octopoda

- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1528687 wrote: Anyone who worked round Whitechapel remembers Tubby Isaacs' mollusc stall and he wasn't selling octopuses, he was selling clams, oysters, cockles, mussels, scallops and whelks alive-alive-o, quite probably between two slices of bread.

You forgot the jellied eels, they were his main stock in trade - I wasn’t keen
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr;1528692 wrote: You forgot the jellied eels, they were his main stock in trade - I wasn’t keen

I got talked into trying that when I was over there.

Not on my list of repeats.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “General Chit Chat”