The Fallen Heroes

lady cop

The Fallen Heroes

Post by lady cop »

Josh here was murdered the same as if he had been shot, a fake 911 call ended his life one rainy night as he speeded to answer the call for help. when fire-rescue got to him, he lay dying, and he said to them, it's ok guys, i am going to a better place. there were 5000 of us at his funeral. as his mother kissed his brow i wept........

Bush honors fallen police officers

The Washington post

WASHINGTON -- President Bush paid tribute to 156 police officers who died in the line of duty last year, as colleagues and families of the fallen gathered under a somber, gray sky Sunday at the U.S. Capitol for a national day of remembrance.

Included in those honored was Joshua Edwin Blyler, who was a deputy with the St. Johns County Sheriff's office. The 20-year-old died May 2, 2004, after crashing his patrol car on County Road 210 en route to a 911 hang-up. Blyler was the first St. Johns County deputy to perish on duty since 1983.

With the muddy west lawn of the capitol packed with uniformed men and women from all over the country, the president praised the 800,000 plus Americans who are "willing to stand watch over the rest of us" by policing the streets and communities.

"The tradition of sacrifice and service runs strong amongst law enforcement," Bush said in a short speech. "The fallen officers we honor this afternoon honored that tradition of service and sacrifice -- and the flag of the United States of America flies at half-staff today in memory of their courage."

The president was speaking for the fifth time at the National Peace Officers' Memorial Service, a tribute to the law enforcement officers who are killed or disabled on the job. Presidents starting with John F. Kennedy in 1962 have offered tributes to fallen law enforcement officials on May 15, the official day of recognition for fallen officers.

The tone of the day was set by the rain drops falling intermittently from the sky and country singer Darryl Worley drawing sturdy men to tears with his song, "I Miss My Friend."

"The bonds between officers are strong -- and you look out for each other on sunny mornings and in the shadows of danger," Bush said. "Your loyalty to one another and your service to America do great honor to our system of justice."

The president was joined on stage by Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., attending the memorial for the first time, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff and several other administration officials.

"I thank all the family members who are with us today," Bush said. "Our nation is grateful to you. We pray that you find strength to bear the loss. And you can know that our nation will always remember and honor the ones you loved."

Afterward, the president spent nearly two hours signing mementos, embracing officers and their families and posing for pictures.

lady cop

The Fallen Heroes

Post by lady cop »

Josh........
anastrophe

The Fallen Heroes

Post by anastrophe »

while i don't think it should be a national holiday (said days now which have the precise significance of 'day off from work to party' to most people) i do think this should be more widely acknowledged. the 'media' will do a 35 second 'report' noting the passing of the day, and that's about it. i think it should be a day explored in the gradeschools. firefighters and law enforcement literally put their lives on the line for people they don't know virtually every day. they get very little recognition or thanks (and we all know how poor the pay is most of the time).
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
john8pies

The Fallen Heroes

Post by john8pies »

Coincidentally, I too have been at a funeral today (my mum`s younger sister) and whilst there another auntie phoned to say that my dad`s younger brother had just died too, in Australia. Makes you sort of glad to be alive, and to realise the sacrifices people make.

Return to “Crimes Trials”