For the attention of KATHY ELLEN or anyone else...

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Kathy.... Help me out here please.

I want to buy a good quality telescope for a 7 year old who Is showing an Interest.

Something that he doesn't need a PHD to understand but something that will do the job for a starter.

I don't have a clue about these things and wouldn't know a good one from a bad one.... any Idea's ?

Much appreciated.... Thanks In advance.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1376583 wrote: Kathy.... Help me out here please.

I want to buy a good quality telescope for a 7 year old who Is showing an Interest.

Something that he doesn't need a PHD to understand but something that will do the job for a starter.

I don't have a clue about these things and wouldn't know a good one from a bad one.... any Idea's ?

Much appreciated.... Thanks In advance.

You could try :-

Celestron FirstScope C21024 Telescope

or the Early Learning Centre do a refractor for half the price that looks as though it would do a good job.
Oscar Namechange

Bryn Mawr;1376599 wrote: You could try :-

Celestron FirstScope C21024 Telescope

or the Early Learning Centre do a refractor for half the price that looks as though it would do a good job.

The one In the link looks perfect. Thankyou very much !! :D
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, that is a nice telescope!
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

There was a thread here discussing this very question and I cannot seem to find it.
Richard Bell

Post by Richard Bell »

Terence Dickinson is a Canadian astronomer who has written several popular books on the subject.Every year around Christmas time, he is is interviewed on TV and radio about how to buy a telescope.

He publishes Skynews magazine. I think you'll find his articles and advice to be quite useful:

Equipment Guide
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Richard Bell;1376746 wrote: Terence Dickinson is a Canadian astronomer who has written several popular books on the subject.Every year around Christmas time, he is is interviewed on TV and radio about how to buy a telescope.

He publishes Skynews magazine. I think you'll find his articles and advice to be quite useful:

Equipment Guide

Excellent and very useful article and I'd totally agree with his comment about the computer driven 'scopes - the money has to go on the optics rather than on the fancification.

The one comment I would make is that, given the age range and experience levels in the OP, the same should be said about motor drives. Essential if you're going to spend time watching the same object and an absolute must if you want to get into the photography side but just an additional expense for a kids fist 'scope when (s)he's jumping from the Moon to Jupiter then Sirius and might get so far as the odd nebula in Orion but never spends more than a minute or two in any one place - again I'd put what money is available into the best possible optics and forget the accessories.
Oscar Namechange

Bryn Mawr;1376752 wrote: Excellent and very useful article and I'd totally agree with his comment about the computer driven 'scopes - the money has to go on the optics rather than on the fancification.

The one comment I would make is that, given the age range and experience levels in the OP, the same should be said about motor drives. Essential if you're going to spend time watching the same object and an absolute must if you want to get into the photography side but just an additional expense for a kids fist 'scope when (s)he's jumping from the Moon to Jupiter then Sirius and might get so far as the odd nebula in Orion but never spends more than a minute or two in any one place - again I'd put what money is available into the best possible optics and forget the accessories.

Firstly... Thank you very much to Richard.... great Info

I checked out the one you suggested Bryn at tesco.com and am going to go for that. It's simplistic enough for a 7 year old and If he gets really keen at a later date, we can always update as he gets older.

Thanks again.

Return to “General Chit Chat”