Must rant and rave for a sec!

How's your day going? Are you having a great work day - or - a horrible one? Got complaints about your boss? Your co-workers? Your spouse or friends? This is the place to let it hang out.
Chloe_88

Post by Chloe_88 »

First of all I know a lot of men are more technical then women.

I've worked on Tech support for a TV/Phone/Internet provider for three years, Residential and now Business.

But WHY must people phone and after I've introduced myself say: O i'm sorry I was phoning Tech Support, I must of phoned admin instead! As soon as I've introduced myself and peolpe hear a females voice they think they've phoned admin instead of Tech Support.

I've had 1 customer not wanting to discuss Tech support because I was a woman. I told him he could hang up and phone again (+ be on hold for 10 min., it was a busy day), or shut up and get over it.

Everyone will say: yeaaaah I believe a woman can do any job a man can do, but when confronted a lot of people make the assumption a woman cannot be on Tech Support!

WHY?!
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I'm run IT for our organization have been in the computer industry since the 70's it is a mans world until you prove yourself then they respect you. I have been in meeting with peers and I'm always the only women. :)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Chloe_88

Post by Chloe_88 »

CARLA;1375089 wrote: I'm run IT for our organization have been in the computer industry since the 70's it is a mans world until you prove yourself then they respect you. I have been in meeting with peers and I'm always the only women. :)

I must say I love Tech support + working with men (yeah I guess it's a "mans" world, or thats how its seen). I did not go onto admin, because I mostly do not get on with woman. Most of the women on our admin support are quite backstabbing and only talk about fashion and make-up. (Not catogorizing all woman as dodo's only interested in make-up and fashion)

It's just annoying when people are really surprised to talk to a woman on Tech support. Everyone on the Business Dept. has accepted me as "one of their own" but others still have "problems" with it.

For example: (will not tell whole story, will be here all night) I phoned the technicians dept. today, something went wrong. And everytime a few "particular" people answer the phone it's like oooo there's that girl from business tech support! They will not answer my questions etc. I've asked my male colleague to phone with the same questions and they get an answer straight away!

Confronted Supervior with it today (who yes is a man) and he is really pissed off about it.. So he seems to agree with me thank god..
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I am also in tech support.

I am L4, but I still work closely with our level 1, 2 and 3 support call centers.

Half of our telephone support folks are female.

Most of our customers are not so ignorant as to expect a male voice.

The same is true with most of the OEM outfits I work with. (EMC, IBM, and Dell, for example)

Have of the engineering and support people I work with are female.

I have a hard time with the idea that many people in the technical business world would be very sexist, and keep their job.

At least in the States.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Chloe_88

Post by Chloe_88 »

Like I said a lot of people here say: No don't have a problem with a female being on Tech Support, but they will still make the assumption that a woman does not know as much as her male colleague. It's just a shame that people still make assumptions.

normally it doesn't really get to me but today I just got so annoyed when I phoned the technicians dept. and didn't get a question answered, when male colleague asked the exact same question to the same person, he did get an answer straight away.

It's one thing when a customer makes assumptions but it's backstabbing when a colleague makes assumptions about you.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Just tell them that "yes you are administration, and you fired all the men because they were stupid". Now do you need some help with something?
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Chloe_88;1375086 wrote: Must rant and rave for a sec!

First of all I know a lot of men are more technical then women.

I've worked on Tech support for a TV/Phone/Internet provider for three years, Residential and now Business.

But WHY must people phone and after I've introduced myself say: O i'm sorry I was phoning Tech Support, I must of phoned admin instead! As soon as I've introduced myself and peolpe hear a females voice they think they've phoned admin instead of Tech Support.

I've had 1 customer not wanting to discuss Tech support because I was a woman. I told him he could hang up and phone again (+ be on hold for 10 min., it was a busy day), or shut up and get over it.

Everyone will say: yeaaaah I believe a woman can do any job a man can do, but when confronted a lot of people make the assumption a woman cannot be on Tech Support!

WHY?!Lon, I thought I told you to knock this stuff off!
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Chloe_88

Post by Chloe_88 »

YZGI;1375116 wrote: Just tell them that "yes you are administration, and you fired all the men because they were stupid". Now do you need some help with something?

LoL

Ahso!;1375117 wrote: Lon, I thought I told you to knock this stuff off!

Guess i'm missing something ? ?
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Chloe_88;1375086 wrote: Must rant and rave for a sec!

First of all I know a lot of men are more technical then women.......................

.....................Everyone will say: yeaaaah I believe a woman can do any job a man can do, but when confronted a lot of people make the assumption a woman cannot be on Tech Support!

WHY?!

Don't fuss your pretty little head girlie :sneaky: :lips: :yh_rotfl
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Chloe_88

Post by Chloe_88 »

anybody have an actual serious idea why some have so old fashion idea's about some things?
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Chloe_88;1375127 wrote: anybody have an actual serious idea why some have so old fashion idea's about some things?

Yes, ma'am. Let me help you with that particular problem. First, determine how much memory you have. You may discover that acceptance of change has always been slow to many. The comfortable and routine applications are more easily digested. Not being shocked......just being safe. Now, you may reboot. ;)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Ahso!;1375117 wrote: Lon, I thought I told you to knock this stuff off!

LON ?????? I'm not even in this discussion
littleCJelkton

Post by littleCJelkton »

Chloe_88;1375127 wrote: anybody have an actual serious idea why some have so old fashion idea's about some things?

I am not sure why old fashion bias ideals stand the test of time, I being only 5'0" due to having stunned growth after battling brain cancer when I was 5 have had to grow up being a short male and heightism is seen all over the place I have even seen it here of FG, the thing is though that since heightism hasn't had any movement for it like women's rights or civil rights it still gets "" overlooked"" as a form if bias, but look it up its in the language we use like we say "he cam up short" "he is not living up to his reputation", it effects your chance of getting a job as a taller male is often stereotyped as being more able to get a job done, in our media the guy on T.V who is often made fun of is short " George Castanza- Seinfeld Carlton Banks- Fresh prince" just to name a few, and of course being short is a killer to a males attractive attributes when it comes to dating. The way in which people tend to be collectively ignorant of things is just something you have to adapt to in life I guess.
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

Hi Chloe...they are afraid of you cuz you are a woman with knowledge and from what I can tell you have self confidence. That is more then enuf to threaten a man in the business world. I do not know enuf about your location and the environment to say much...accept keep at it...you may be frustrated but who isn't when it comes to work and dealing with egotistical men.

Hold your chin up and march forward!

Lady J
Chloe_88

Post by Chloe_88 »

Lady J;1375146 wrote: Hold your chin up and march forward!

Lady J

Thanks, I do try :wah:
spot

Post by spot »

I doubt whether it's been widespread within peer-groups for quite a while. Back in the early 1970s I worked in a programming department of around 20 of whom two, Susan and Geraldine, were women, both working in mainframe Assembler. Nobody in the department regarded them as anything other than fine coders. Why there were only 2 instead of 10 I'm not sure. Maybe fewer women applied.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Chloe_88

Post by Chloe_88 »

spot;1375166 wrote: I doubt whether it's been widespread within peer-groups for quite a while. Back in the early 1970s I worked in a programming department of around 20 of whom two, Susan and Geraldine, were women, both working in mainframe Assembler. Nobody in the department regarded them as anything other than fine coders. Why there were only 2 instead of 10 I'm not sure. Maybe fewer women applied.

I must say (maybe also an assumption) but I would guess fewer women would apply for a more "technical" job. I was one of the first women on our dept (now there are many). Some people don't have any problems with women working on a tech. dept. but there will always be 1 that pisses you off with their "old fashioned" idea's. But I guess that's life

Return to “Welcome To My Day!”