Getting ready to say goodbye to Scully

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Well dear friend and loyal companion, It looks like old age has caught up with you at last.

Tuesday, Is the day that we know you may not be coming home with us from the vets this time.

We did everything to stave off the problems with old age but at 15 years old, we now accept, we must possibly say goodbye for this Is cancer and I will not let you suffer.

No-one could have asked for and wanted a more loyal dog and faithfull companion but saying goodbye to you my darling Scully Is grief beyond hurting.

I don't think I will be the same for a very long time. :-1:-1:-1
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

My condolences, I'm still mourning a cat I lost almost 14 years ago.

Can you post a photo of Scully?
Peg

Post by Peg »

I'm sorry Oscar. I had to go through this in July and know how much it breaks your heart.
Oscar Namechange

Thank you Shrug and Peg. It Is one of those days that you know will come but never want to come.

When Scully was born, I visited her every week until she was 8 weeks and old enough to leave her Mum. She has never left my side since then 15 years ago.

This was taken a few months ago... Scully Is asleep with her head on Puppy Rosie.

Attached files
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Aaah, the tongue sticking out during sleep always makes me smile. 15 is a good, long life for a pet but I know we all wish it could be even longer.
tabby

Post by tabby »

I'm so sorry to hear about this, Oscar. What a wonderful companion Scully has been to you!
Oscar Namechange

tabby;1373315 wrote: I'm so sorry to hear about this, Oscar. What a wonderful companion Scully has been to you!

Thankyou. Yes, 15 years Is a long time but I found this just now on the net.

The Last Battle

Then will you do what must be done, for this -- the last battle -- can't be won.

You will be sad I understand, but don't let grief then stay your hand,

For on this day, more than the rest, your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years, you wouldn't want me to suffer so.

When the time comes, please, let me go.

Take me to where to my needs they'll tend, only, stay with me till the end

And hold me firm and speak to me, until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree, it is a kindness you do to me.

Although my tail its last has waved, from pain and suffering I have been saved.

Don't grieve that it must be you, who has to decide this thing to do;

We've been so close -- we two -- these years, don't let your heart hold any tears.

-- Unknown
cars

Post by cars »

oscar;1373319 wrote: Thankyou. Yes, 15 years Is a long time but I found this just now on the net.

The Last Battle

Then will you do what must be done, for this -- the last battle -- can't be won.

You will be sad I understand, but don't let grief then stay your hand,

For on this day, more than the rest, your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years, you wouldn't want me to suffer so.

When the time comes, please, let me go.

Take me to where to my needs they'll tend, only, stay with me till the end

And hold me firm and speak to me, until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree, it is a kindness you do to me.

Although my tail its last has waved, from pain and suffering I have been saved.

Don't grieve that it must be you, who has to decide this thing to do;

We've been so close -- we two -- these years, don't let your heart hold any tears.

-- Unknown

Sorry for your soon to be loss oscar, pets are family, and it hurts just as much, since they are family.

The "last battle" says it all, hopefully you can take some solace from it!
Cars :)
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Always a hard time and it hurts more and more as time goes by.

My wife and I have decided enough is enough for just this reason - we've buried too many and the hurt is too much.

Our condolences :-1
Oscar Namechange

Bryn Mawr;1373333 wrote: Always a hard time and it hurts more and more as time goes by.

My wife and I have decided enough is enough for just this reason - we've buried too many and the hurt is too much.

Our condolences :-1

Thanks Cars... Good to see you here.

Bryn, I have been through this before and It never gets any easier. Also Mulder Is 14 years old and although more active for his age, I know It will be his time soon also.

I sometimes pity those who have never had a dog. They miss so much, the loyalty, the unconditional love, the faithfullness.
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

"A good dog never dies. He always stays. He walks besides you on crisp autumn days when frost is on the fields and winter's drawing near. His head is within our hand in his old way."

(Mary Carolyn Davies)

My heart goes out to you Oscar....I know the suffering and pain that will follow. I feel for you and your impending lost and know the looming gloom as I once had a dog of 21 years to send over to Rainbow Bridge.:-1

Scully has a great life...filled with love, hugs, baths, walks and probably treats galore. He adored you as no one could...and you love him as no one could; cuz he is a dog...and dogs....well they just know how to steal your heart.

You are doing the right thing in not letting your companion suffer. I find that very admirable as many would cling to their dog. I know I did.

My condolences.....

Lady J
gmc

Post by gmc »

oscar;1373337 wrote: Thanks Cars... Good to see you here.

Bryn, I have been through this before and It never gets any easier. Also Mulder Is 14 years old and although more active for his age, I know It will be his time soon also.

I sometimes pity those who have never had a dog. They miss so much, the loyalty, the unconditional love, the faithfullness.

I know how you feel, it's surprising how attached you get to them
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I really feel for you Julie. Those who have had a dog will understand what you are going through.

I feel sorry for those who have never experienced the joy of having such a wonderful companion, a companion who asks for nothing except food and water, walks and the occasional pat on the head or human hand upon his back with a few kind words, and he will give his undying love, devotion and unquestioning loyalty. I know that all our dogs, and we have had 5 so far, would have unconditionally laid down their lives for us if circumstances caused such a situation.

We had to have our beautiful Rex (German Shepherd) put to sleep last year, as he just could not stand or move very well and he was very uncomfortable and the vet said that he was beginning to suffer and it would not get any better regardless of any medication. Rex was in his 16th year, as was our previous dog 'Lady', both German Shepherds and both wonderful, intelligent, companions. All our dogs are forever in our hearts.

Also people who have never experienced the wonderful friendship of a dog, may well think such people are very strange when that dog soon becomes a true member of a family and is treated as such - after all it is only a dog isn't it?

My thoughts will be with you tomorrow, Julie.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I think you could include all pets in that, not just dogs.
Oscar Namechange

G#Gill;1373343 wrote: I really feel for you Julie. Those who have had a dog will understand what you are going through.

I feel sorry for those who have never experienced the joy of having such a wonderful companion, a companion who asks for nothing except food and water, walks and the occasional pat on the head or human hand upon his back with a few kind words, and he will give his undying love, devotion and unquestioning loyalty. I know that all our dogs, and we have had 5 so far, would have unconditionally laid down their lives for us if circumstances caused such a situation.

We had to have our beautiful Rex (German Shepherd) put to sleep last year, as he just could not stand or move very well and he was very uncomfortable and the vet said that he was beginning to suffer and it would not get any better regardless of any medication. Rex was in his 16th year, as was our previous dog 'Lady', both German Shepherds and both wonderful, intelligent, companions. All our dogs are forever in our hearts.

Also people who have never experienced the wonderful friendship of a dog, may well think such people are very strange when that dog soon becomes a true member of a family and is treated as such - after all it is only a dog isn't it?

My thoughts will be with you tomorrow, Julie. Thanks Gill..... Rex was an absolute beauty...For Rex....

THE BEST PLACE TO BURY A DOG

"There is one best place to bury a dog.

"If you bury him in this spot, he will

come to you when you call - come to you

over the grim, dim frontier of death,

and down the well-remembered path,

and to your side again.

"And though you call a dozen living

dogs to heel, they shall not growl at

him, nor resent his coming,

for he belongs there.

"People may scoff at you, who see

no lightest blade of grass bent by his

footfall, who hear no whimper, people

who may never really have had a dog.

Smile at them, for you shall know

something that is hidden from them,

and which is well worth the knowing.

"The one best place to bury a good

dog is in the heart of his master."

--- Ben Hur Lampman ---

from the Portland Oregonian Sept. 11, 1925
Oscar Namechange

SnoozeAgain;1373344 wrote: I think you could include all pets in that, not just dogs.

THE GENESIS CAT

(W Girt)

The Lord looked down upon His world, created fresh and new,

With soaring, shining mountain tops and gleaming seas of blue.

The lordly lions roaming free with tigers golden bright,

All very grand, magnificent, but somehow, not quite right.

He stroked His beard and mused awhile and thought of this and that,

'All these are far too big,' he said, 'I'll make a smaller cat;

To edge towards the fire at night, out of the chilly wind,

An independent animal, but needing human kind;

With fur so soft and warm to touch, but brimming full of guile,

With pansy-faced wee kittens to make the children smile.'

All that was very long ago, but still the cat's with us,

Aloof and condescending, but loving all the fuss.

You'll never, ever own a cat, as all cat lovers know,

He'll curl himself around your heart and never let you go.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

SnoozeAgain;1373344 wrote: I think you could include all pets in that, not just dogs.

Oh of course you can. My hubby remembers crying buckets, as a child, when his little pet mouse died. He had lost a dear little friend.

Thank you Julie for the poem for our dear Rex. Don't fret yourself he is well and truly in this family's hearts.
theia

Post by theia »

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow, Oscar :-4
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Oscar Namechange

Thank you for all your good wishes...

The good news Is that we returned today with Scully for the time being.

The vet believes the tumour Is benign because she has maintained the same weight and appears not to be showing any of the classic signs of pain.

We shall know In a few days.

However, the tumour has grown and Is In danger of pressing on her spine. He feels that he may be able to remove the tumour If benign before It spreads further and even at 15 years old, he said, we must not give up on her.

That's all we know for now until the samples and X rays come back.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Well that's a turn-up for the books, Julie ! So long as Scully is happy and pain free and eating normally, it looks like she has a reprieve, bless her heart. Even if it's only a few more days. It is a few more days for hugs and play, a bonus. :-6 :D
Oscar Namechange

G#Gill;1373427 wrote: Well that's a turn-up for the books, Julie ! So long as Scully is happy and pain free and eating normally, it looks like she has a reprieve, bless her heart. Even if it's only a few more days. It is a few more days for hugs and play, a bonus. :-6 :D
Thanks Gill and yes, I agree.

What I won't do, Is have her put to sleep just to save any bother or vet's bills.

If It's benign, It will still have to be removed because It is too near her spine and the question Is, how do they do that as putting her under at 15 years old Is so risky. However, we will at least explore the options.
tabby

Post by tabby »

Great news, Oscar, I'm happy to hear that. Even though she still faces treatment, I know you must have felt lighter coming out of the vet's office than when you went in!

Return to “General Chit Chat”