Hiking to Waterfalls

A place to discuss all of your outdoor activities. Hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, and whatever else you do out in the great wilds.
bobmielke

Hiking to Waterfalls

Post by bobmielke »

Since retiring I realize one of my important jobs is staying healthy. I need to get out and get regular exercise to stay active. Hiking to remote locations ties nicely to my main hobby, photography. Oregon is an outdoors goldmine with its diverse number of micro-climates and terrain. Withing a 100 mile radius we've got sandy shorelines along the Pacific Ocean, two mountain ranges, the valley where I live in Portland and the high desert of Eastern Oregon. There are some great waterfalls within a one hour's drive of downtown Portland. I've been to dozens over the 5 years since moving to Oregon. One of the prettiest collection of 13 different waterfalls is located at Silver Falls State Park near Silverton, Oregon. Some of these falls require a healthy walk to get to the base of the falls. It's all worth it.

North Falls

South Falls

Multnomah Falls on Interstate 84

Lon

Hiking to Waterfalls

Post by Lon »

Now I get it Bob------------you are really a plant for the OREGON CHAMBER OF COMMERCE and have joined this Forum to stimulate tourism. You are doing a good job---your pictures and posts are excellent. :D
bobmielke

Hiking to Waterfalls

Post by bobmielke »

I do love the area where I live. I've ridden my motorcycles over 80,000 in just 5 years, photographing the three states around me. I'm retired now and travel constantly within an affordable range of my home in Portland. I'll be leaving on a "Bucket List" tour of the Canyons of the West in late July. I will be carrying my camera gear. LOL
CARLA

Hiking to Waterfalls

Post by CARLA »

As I said if I were to ever move it would be to Oregon it is such a beautiful place and I have been in almost every corner and along the coast many time loved every trip.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Lon

Hiking to Waterfalls

Post by Lon »

When I got ready to retire I looked at Florence, Oregon. Stayed for three days and scouted around the area and the weather was beautiful. Then, I discovered that Florence got 60 inches of rain a year. I reconsidered.
bobmielke

Hiking to Waterfalls

Post by bobmielke »

Florence, Oregon is a great place to live. The scenery is fantastic. They have Sea Lion Caves right outside of town that are a huge tourist attraction. Then there's Haceta Head Lighthouse, the most photographed lighthouse in the United States. I've been there 3-4 times.

Haceta Head Lighthouse

Haceta Head Lighthouse Bed & Breakfast

Scene walking to lighthouse

View from highway 101. This is the most famous shot taken.

Return to “The Outdoors”