Euro Salad Situation.

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
YZGI

Euro Salad Situation.

Post by YZGI »

Not to make light of the situation but is the E-Coli outbreak in Europe as bad as it is being reported over here? Has everyone stopped eating fresh veggies? They don't seem to be able to pinpoint the culprit but every time they suggest a possibility it costs more farmers more money.
spot

Euro Salad Situation.

Post by spot »

There's a place where one's at risk of the outbreak so far, it's called Germany. Victims who have it outside of Germany caught it there.

The German spin-merchants lied through their teeth and said the source was Spain. The Spanish lost $300 million in unsellable greenery and feel miffed because it was untrue. The Germans have backtracked.

It'll go worldwide unless someone invents a new way to eradicate fresh strains of bugs, nobody's succeeded in that so far. The good news is that cooking your food and washing your hands before eating renders it harmless. Eating uncooked food is suicidal anyway, so there's no change really.

We can draw a lesson I expect - boycott anything that started life in Germany, though every self-respecting Englishman's already been doing that since 1914.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
YZGI

Euro Salad Situation.

Post by YZGI »

spot;1361050 wrote: There's a place where one's at risk of the outbreak so far, it's called Germany. Victims who have it outside of Germany caught it there.

The German spin-merchants lied through their teeth and said the source was Spain. The Spanish lost $300 million in unsellable greenery and feel miffed because it was untrue. The Germans have backtracked.

It'll go worldwide unless someone invents a new way to eradicate fresh strains of bugs, nobody's succeeded in that so far. The good news is that cooking your food and washing your hands before eating renders it harmless. Eating uncooked food is suicidal anyway, so there's no change really.

We can draw a lesson I expect - boycott anything that started life in Germany, though every self-respecting Englishman's already been doing that since 1914.

So you eat no fresh vegetables at all?
spot

Euro Salad Situation.

Post by spot »

YZGI;1361051 wrote: So you eat no fresh vegetables at all?

Lots. Boiled, steamed, poached or roast.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
YZGI

Euro Salad Situation.

Post by YZGI »

spot;1361059 wrote: Lots. Boiled, steamed, poached or roast.

Wow, I cant imagine not eating my fresh garden grown tomatoes raw, or my spinach, not too mention Salads in gerneral.
spot

Euro Salad Situation.

Post by spot »

YZGI;1361060 wrote: Wow, I cant imagine not eating my fresh garden grown tomatoes raw, or my spinach, not too mention Salads in gerneral.

Raccoons will have weed all over them while you're not looking, you do know that?
YZGI

Euro Salad Situation.

Post by YZGI »

spot;1361061 wrote: Raccoons will have weed all over them while you're not looking, you do know that?

A little weed never hurt anyone.
CARLA

Euro Salad Situation.

Post by CARLA »

I'm very concerned as the "Women's Soccer World Cup" starts in 2 weeks and my family is headed to Germany along with 26 women's team to include England. Most of the games are totally sold out at this point. I hope they get to the bottom of this our it will be a diet of pretzels and beer at this point the only safe thing to drink and eat. :)

List of qualified teamsAFC (3)

Australia

Japan

North Korea

CAF (2)

Equatorial Guinea

Nigeria

CONCACAF (3)

Canada

Mexico

United States†

CONMEBOL (2)

Brazil

Colombia

OFC (1)

New Zealand

UEFA (5)

England

France

Germany (hosts)

Norway

Sweden
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

YZGI

Euro Salad Situation.

Post by YZGI »

CARLA;1361064 wrote: I'm very concerned as the "Women's Soccer World Cup" starts in 2 weeks and my family is headed to Germany along with 26 women's team to include England. Most of the games are totally sold out at this point. I hope they get to the bottom of this our it will be a diet of pretzels and beer at this point the only safe thing to drink and eat. :)

List of qualified teamsAFC (3)

Australia

Japan

North Korea

CAF (2)

Equatorial Guinea

Nigeria

CONCACAF (3)

Canada

Mexico

United States†

CONMEBOL (2)

Brazil

Colombia

OFC (1)

New Zealand

UEFA (5)

England

France

Germany (hosts)

Norway

Sweden

Ya might want to watch the pretzels. I would think boiled cabbage would work.
bobmielke

Euro Salad Situation.

Post by bobmielke »

Oh Great! Now we've actually given the kids of the world an excuse "NOT" to eat their veggies. I can see them all now, crying their little eyes out, afraid to die rather than eat their veggies and DIE!
YZGI

Euro Salad Situation.

Post by YZGI »

bobmielke;1361075 wrote: Oh Great! Now we've actually given the kids of the world an excuse "NOT" to eat their veggies. I can see them all now, crying their little eyes out, afraid to die rather than eat their veggies and DIE!

Hah--LOL Good point.
LarsMac

Euro Salad Situation.

Post by LarsMac »

Veggies are safe, cooked. I you want to be sure, only eat raw veggies from your own garden.

This might be a good time to re-introduce the idea of irradiating food before it gets to the market.

irradiation will kill the bugs, and not harm the food.

A university in the midwest claims to have had some tomatoes that were irradiated and the sat in the fridge for months, and tasted just as fresh as the day they were picked.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Euro Salad Situation.

Post by spot »

I think tomatoes, if they're to do that trick, need their apoptosis gene neutering too. In traditional academic circles such an innovation would have been introduced with a ripple of polite applause. Under Capitalist management it was fanfared as the FlavrSavr™.
gmc

Euro Salad Situation.

Post by gmc »

Salad wars have broken out, the germans attacked with an opening salvo at spanish cucumbers and got egg all over their faces when it turned out to be german bean sprouts - and you thought they lived on beer and sausage. It's a ploy by the agricorps businesses to destroy the organic food industry that has been eroding their market share and preventing the import of genetically modified rubbish that has been sprayed with chemicals and gender bending meat products by perpetuating the myth that spraying herbicides and insecticides everywhere is healthy. It's a vicious strain of the bug but so long as you wash your veggies you should be OK. Who eats bean sprouts anyway?

It's all a bit silly, there have been massive outbreaks caused by poor meat processing but people didn't stop eating meat it's just the hysteria caused by the reporting and german spanish cucumber bashing.
spot

Euro Salad Situation.

Post by spot »

To put it into context, there's fourteen dead. Around what the US would expect from a single well-aimed tornado.
YZGI

Euro Salad Situation.

Post by YZGI »

spot;1361096 wrote: To put it into context, there's fourteen dead. Around what the US would expect from a single well-aimed tornado.

So, its a "WELL AIMED" tornado that kills US citizens? Hmm.
Odie

Euro Salad Situation.

Post by Odie »

YZGI;1361049 wrote: Not to make light of the situation but is the E-Coli outbreak in Europe as bad as it is being reported over here? Has everyone stopped eating fresh veggies? They don't seem to be able to pinpoint the culprit but every time they suggest a possibility it costs more farmers more money.

It's always the irrigation systems and cow **** running into it & free standing water.

most think E-coli comes from your counter top or fruits and veggies.....not true, it comes from the farms.

We have had none as we do not get ours from Germany.
Life is just to short for drama.
mikeinie

Euro Salad Situation.

Post by mikeinie »

Plenty of fresh veggies being eaten here. Once again, instead of getting fact, Germany came out accusing Spain and the media are doing their usual dramatization of the whole thing creating a bigger crisis than it actually is.
hoppy

Euro Salad Situation.

Post by hoppy »

I drink my veggies. Vodka and v8 juice.
Odie

Euro Salad Situation.

Post by Odie »

hoppy;1361217 wrote: I drink my veggies. Vodka and v8 juice.

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Life is just to short for drama.
Nomad

Euro Salad Situation.

Post by Nomad »

spot;1361050 wrote:

It'll go worldwide unless someone invents a new way to eradicate fresh strains of bugs, nobody's succeeded in that so far.

You sure about that Mr. Fancy Pants?
I AM AWESOME MAN
spot

Euro Salad Situation.

Post by spot »

Nomad;1361267 wrote: You sure about that Mr. Fancy Pants?

Swine flu, for example. Do you think that ended, or do you think it's simply no longer newsworthy? Is it eradicated or did it cause most of the flu deaths in the US this year?

Return to “General Chit Chat”