5 Relaxation Techniques From Dr. Sears

polycarp

Post by polycarp »

1. Tighten your neck and draw your shoulders back hard. Hold this position for 5-10 seconds. Then release. Repeat this exercise several times. Now release the tension by slowly rolling your head from side to side.

2. Take a walk. Walk up and down stairs, down a hallway, around the block - even around your desk at work. A walk - even a short one - can give you a much-needed "time out" when you feel a lot of built-up physical tension.

3. Sit or stand up straight. Let the air rush out of your lungs as you give a deep sigh of relief. Don't think about inhaling. Just breathe normally. Then repeat this process 8 to 10 times.

4. Deliberately breathe very slowly. This can be very calming - and a big help in stressful situations.

5. Take a deep breath. As you do, be aware of your face, neck, shoulders, and arms. Check for any signs of tension. Then breathe out. Let your muscles relax, and the tension should ease with them.

(Source: Dr. Sears' newsletter Health Confidential for Men)
A formula for tact: "Be brief politely, be aggressive smilingly, be emphatic pleasantly, be positive diplomatically, be right graciously".
Agnes

Post by Agnes »

Poly, these are all wonderful techniques for relaxation. BUT a "good" laugh a few times a day is beyond anything. A good chuckle really relieves tension. Have you had YOUR Chuckle TodaY? :wah:
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it. :yh_beatup
Agnes

Post by Agnes »

you have a point there, SEX is indeed a tension reliever, no doubt about that.
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it. :yh_beatup
john8pies

Post by john8pies »

Or as was once said, "Exercise? Diet? Sex? Couldn`t I just have an operation?" !!!!!!
hotsauce

Post by hotsauce »

I'm going to add happy hour to the list.
minks

Post by minks »

laughing children also relieves stress
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

I keep thinking this thread is titled: "Relaxation techniques from Dr. Seuss." :yh_rotfl
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Jika

Post by Jika »

Thanks for this thread polycarp. I've been doing technique No. 1 while sitting at the computer. It has really helped, I'm terrible I always forget about posture, end up slouching and then wonder why I ache in the neck and shoulders.
LottomagicZ4941

Post by LottomagicZ4941 »

Perhpas this thread should be in the friends and advice colum!!!

"Sometimes I hold my breath just to remind myself I'm alive" not sure if this is totally verbatium. Mogg lyrics on the latest UFO YOu are Here with son of legendary Led Zeplin drummer.

Return to “Fitness Nutrition”