God within our Minds

JerryG

God within our Minds

Post by JerryG »

Professor Michael Persinger, the inventor of the "God Helmet" of Laurentian University discovered that a particular area of the brain was activated when subjects were in complete darkness. The results indicated that within our own minds, our God existed.

The subjects did not hear voices but felt comfort and well being when the brain scans showed that particular area of the brain was activated.

This is a great discovery and indicates that within our own minds, we contain our own God or a link to an actual God.

In my own studies of myself, I wonder the source of the Voices within my own mind.Since childhood at various times the voice of God has appeared. I always believed the voice to really be God. The voice would always be authoritative. I am 71 now and the voices have been quiet for quite a long time. I am bi-polar going from normal to a manic high but never depressed.

Therefore my mind converts the area of my brain which contains God into voices at various times of my life. Sometimes I use this area of my brain to solve difficult engineering problems. Sometimes it helped on tests in college years ago. Therefore the voice within my own mind has been quite accurate and helpful.

As I review my life, it appears in totality that the voice within me has deceived me. It never said it was God but it always acted as a higher authority. Although I cannot be sure, it appears that over a lifetime I built my own God within my own mind.

The importance of Professor Persinger's work is that it corresponds to my basic conclusion that my God exists within my own mind.
Glaswegian

God within our Minds

Post by Glaswegian »

JerryG;1322260 wrote: Professor Michael Persinger, the inventor of the "God Helmet" of Laurentian University discovered that a particular area of the brain was activated when subjects were in complete darkness. The results indicated that within our own minds, our God existed.

The importance of Professor Persinger's work is that it corresponds to my basic conclusion that my God exists within my own mind.
In 2003 the BBC made a documentary entitled God On The Brain which looks at Persinger's research, and how it might impact on religious belief.

Perhaps you’ve seen it? If not then it can be viewed here:

YouTube - God on the Brain BBC part 1 of 6.avi
JerryG

God within our Minds

Post by JerryG »

Thanks for the info. I learned about him on the science channel the other night. By the way, I am not a religious person as such. My God is the God of all religions, the creative intelligence within the universe.

However the most likely solution to Godself is a subliminal force which drives the production of life. As such man is the superior intelligence within the universe. We could not communicate with the Godforce as such as this force is a building block of intelligence. Thus I believe in a Godforce which flows into us and creates life.

Religions then are the product of man as man attempts to relate to our creative force. The net result is that man evolved with an image of God within our minds. However it appears from my own religious experiences that an entity of superior intelligence of Godalmighty is merely an imagination. The best we encounter is the God within ourselves which enables some of us to communicate with other people.

In a Church, the Godwithin the believers is in communion with the totality of the Godwithin the congregation. Thus the man or woman is surrounded by the totality of God. This is merely an electrical/magnetic spiritual field which gives love and confort to the followers.
Glaswegian

God within our Minds

Post by Glaswegian »

JerryG;1322307 wrote: Thanks for the info. I learned about him on the science channel the other night. By the way, I am not a religious person as such. My God is the God of all religions, the creative intelligence within the universe.

However the most likely solution to Godself is a subliminal force which drives the production of life. As such man is the superior intelligence within the universe. We could not communicate with the Godforce as such as this force is a building block of intelligence. Thus I believe in a Godforce which flows into us and creates life.

Religions then are the product of man as man attempts to relate to our creative force. The net result is that man evolved with an image of God within our minds. However it appears from my own religious experiences that an entity of superior intelligence of Godalmighty is merely an imagination. The best we encounter is the God within ourselves which enables some of us to communicate with other people.

In a Church, the Godwithin the believers is in communion with the totality of the Godwithin the congregation. Thus the man or woman is surrounded by the totality of God. This is merely an electrical/magnetic spiritual field which gives love and confort to the followers.
Thought-provoking post, Jerry. I'll try to get back to you on it when I can.
Glaswegian

God within our Minds

Post by Glaswegian »

JerryG;1322307 wrote: By the way, I am not a religious person as such. My God is the God of all religions, the creative intelligence within the universe.
Is this what you mean by the term ‘Godself’ - the creative intelligence within the universe?

JerryG;1322307 wrote: However the most likely solution to Godself is a subliminal force which drives the production of life.
It seems you are saying here that Godself is located somewhere just beyond the periphery of consciousness. And that Godself is purposive (viz. it ‘drives the production of life’) - which is a quality you assigned to it before when you said that it was ‘creative’.

JerryG;1322307 wrote: As such man is the superior intelligence within the universe.
How is that? Is it in virtue of Godself residing somewhere within his mind?

JerryG;1322307 wrote: We could not communicate with the Godforce as such as this force is a building block of intelligence. Thus I believe in a Godforce which flows into us and creates life.
You say that Godforce 'is a building block of intelligence'. Could you expand on this?

JerryG wrote: The net result is that man evolved with an image of God within our minds.
What do you mean by 'God'? How does 'God' differ from ‘Godself’ and ‘Godforce’?

Return to “General Religious Discussions”