Sensitivity

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Lon

Sensitivity

Post by Lon »

I can't quite understand why any one on this forum or any other forum for that matter, would get their feelings hurt or their nose out of joint because of what another poster says to them or about them. I dunno, maybe it's my age and the thick skin acquired from real live insults and barbs that affects my thinking on this matter. I would not presume to say that I know anyone on this forum well enough to make a judgement that is valid as to their economic status, mental status, emotional status, medical status, educational back round or any other personal traits or habits. Yes I have formed opinions of others as I am sure you all have as well, but I suspect that I would be as off in my assumptions of really knowing something about you as you might be of me. The web and forums in particular gives us the opportunity to ROLE PLAY, and some do it better than others. I post a fair amount of personal stuff on the web because I really don't give a damn about privacy (up to a point), but it could be all a sham could it not? My point? I enjoy FG and the varied posts and responses, but I take it all with a grain of salt, for away from this PC is a real world, with real people that you can touch and feel and smell and interact with. I'm glad that I have lived long enough to have some perspective.

Oh----one other thing----if you don't like this post----------Tough
cars

Sensitivity

Post by cars »

Like!!

And whole heartedly agree!!
Cars :)
Nomad

Sensitivity

Post by Nomad »

Lon;1317004 wrote: I can't quite understand why any one on this forum or any other forum for that matter, would get their feelings hurt or their nose out of joint because of what another poster says to them or about them. I dunno, maybe it's my age and the thick skin acquired from real live insults and barbs that affects my thinking on this matter. I would not presume to say that I know anyone on this forum well enough to make a judgement that is valid as to their economic status, mental status, emotional status, medical status, educational back round or any other personal traits or habits. Yes I have formed opinions of others as I am sure you all have as well, but I suspect that I would be as off in my assumptions of really knowing something about you as you might be of me. The web and forums in particular gives us the opportunity to ROLE PLAY, and some do it better than others. I post a fair amount of personal stuff on the web because I really don't give a damn about privacy (up to a point), but it could be all a sham could it not? My point? I enjoy FG and the varied posts and responses, but I take it all with a grain of salt, for away from this PC is a real world, with real people that you can touch and feel and smell and interact with. I'm glad that I have lived long enough to have some perspective.

But we are real people and we live in the real world much the way you do. For example when you shared your illness with us some time ago, many of us felt empathy for you because we recognized you werent just syllables on a screen but flesh and bone with thoughts and feelings much the way many of us are. Havent you ever experienced valid feelings about any of us, one of us? Me? Please say me.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Odie

Sensitivity

Post by Odie »

Lon;1317004 wrote: I can't quite understand why any one on this forum or any other forum for that matter, would get their feelings hurt or their nose out of joint because of what another poster says to them or about them. I dunno, maybe it's my age and the thick skin acquired from real live insults and barbs that affects my thinking on this matter. I would not presume to say that I know anyone on this forum well enough to make a judgement that is valid as to their economic status, mental status, emotional status, medical status, educational back round or any other personal traits or habits. Yes I have formed opinions of others as I am sure you all have as well, but I suspect that I would be as off in my assumptions of really knowing something about you as you might be of me. The web and forums in particular gives us the opportunity to ROLE PLAY, and some do it better than others. I post a fair amount of personal stuff on the web because I really don't give a damn about privacy (up to a point), but it could be all a sham could it not? My point? I enjoy FG and the varied posts and responses, but I take it all with a grain of salt, for away from this PC is a real world, with real people that you can touch and feel and smell and interact with. I'm glad that I have lived long enough to have some perspective.

That's because your feelings have never been hurt.

You have no idea what has been said to some.

We all have feelings Lon, we are real people and real people get hurt.
Life is just to short for drama.
Accountable

Sensitivity

Post by Accountable »

Lon;1317004 wrote: I enjoy FG and the varied posts and responses, but I take it all with a grain of salt, for away from this PC is a real world, with real people that you can touch and feel and smell and interact with.
http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/gener ... quare.html

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/300017-post45.html

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/300649-post133.html

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/300768-post173.html
Lon

Sensitivity

Post by Lon »

Nomad;1317015 wrote: But we are real people and we live in the real world much the way you do. For example when you shared your illness with us some time ago, many of us felt empathy for you because we recognized you werent just syllables on a screen but flesh and bone with thoughts and feelings much the way many of us are. Havent you ever experienced valid feelings about any of us, one of us? Me? Please say me.

Oh yes Nomad--------I for sure have valid feelings for many on FG and for you in particular. I love your weird sense of humor and can relate to it, but that does not mean I really know you.
Lon

Sensitivity

Post by Lon »

Odie;1317016 wrote: That's because your feelings have never been hurt.

You have no idea what has been said to some.

We all have feelings Lon, we are real people and real people get hurt.

Well Odie-----you are making my point----How could you ever know if my feelings were hurt?---you are just guessing.

Unless it was a Private Message of course I have read what some have said to others.

Of course FG people are real----but they are nuts to get their feelings hurt over ANYTHING posted on FG.
Odie

Sensitivity

Post by Odie »

Lon;1317028 wrote: Well Odie-----you are making my point----How could you ever know if my feelings were hurt?---you are just guessing.

Unless it was a Private Message of course I have read what some have said to others.

Of course FG people are real----but they are nuts to get their feelings hurt over ANYTHING posted on FG.

I'm not guessing, this is what you wrote:

'I can't quite understand why any one on this forum or any other forum for that matter, would get their feelings hurt or their nose out of joint because of what another.'

So to all of us, your feelings have never been hurt.

and no private messages from me, as I have said it before and I'll say it again, my private message box is turned off.

they are not nuts to get their feelings hurt, as said, you have NO idea what has been said to some including myself.
Lon

Sensitivity

Post by Lon »

Odie;1317029 wrote: I'm not guessing, this is what you wrote:

'I can't quite understand why any one on this forum or any other forum for that matter, would get their feelings hurt or their nose out of joint because of what another.'

So to all of us, your feelings have never been hurt.

and no private messages from me, as I have said it before and I'll say it again, my private message box is turned off.

they are not nuts to get their feelings hurt, as said, you have NO idea what has been said to some including myself.

Odie----get with it lady! My feelings on the web, internet, PC have never ever been hurt. Away from the web, internet, PC is another matter---Now do you get it?
Odie

Sensitivity

Post by Odie »

Lon;1317030 wrote: Odie----get with it lady! My feelings on the web, internet, PC have never ever been hurt. Away from the web, internet, PC is another matter---Now do you get it?

you specified forums, now do you get it?

forget it, your twisting your words.:rolleyes:

Lon

Sensitivity

Post by Lon »

Odie;1317032 wrote: you specified forums, now do you get it?

forget it, your twisting your words.:rolleyes:

You are right----I specified Forums-----You did not
Odie

Sensitivity

Post by Odie »

Lon;1317035 wrote: You are right----I specified Forums-----You did not

O M G, forums are the subject in your first post.:rolleyes:

- you and I will just agree to disagree.
littleCJelkton

Sensitivity

Post by littleCJelkton »

Lon;1317004 wrote: I can't quite understand why any one on this forum or any other forum for that matter.

This is from your first post so I see where you noted forums' being the subject of the post.

I agree, as much as I enjoy knowing how others view the world and subjects, such as, love, religion. politics, heightism, and other subjects I have posted on here and on other forums to better my view on those same subjects, If I disagree with someone's views and in my opinion have not been given a logical explanation on why my view on the subject should change then so be it. I just let him/her be him/her and defend my views, logically, reasonably, and with what factual evidence and personal experience. Of course I do it with consideration, and respect for that persons views, but I use facts and post of what the person said and facts of what others' said to back my opinions rather than assumptions of what I think he/she said or is going to say. If a person is belligerent, and ignorant of the facts in there defense of their opinion I do not let it get to me as In my opinion It is more proof that I am right as frustration is often the route those who have an opinion or view with no facts to back them take, and their anger often shows out of that frustration.
G#Gill

Sensitivity

Post by G#Gill »

Lon, you are obviously more resilient than some others, with regard to associations with other people on internet forums. You have the ability to remain remote, and not get too involved with individuals that you have discussions with online.

It is probably easier for a fella to do this, than it is for your average emotional woman. True, there are many women who have that ability to not get involved with somebody they are never likely to meet in real life. To people such as these, a 'chat/discussion' forum is just a 'hobby' to be kept remote from their 'real life' activities, and to not treat with too much seriousness.

However, when some people 'talk' to others in a forum, on a regular basis for a period of time, those people develop the feeling of knowing that person to a certain extent and become 'online friends'. Whether the other person is actually the genuine article (that they are not fabricating their circumstances), or whether they are not genuine, is neither here nor there. To a person who forms a friendship in this manner, their 'friend' is a very real person to them. It must seem strange to somebody who intentionally remains 'remote' from others they may have contact with online, but it is a fact that many people can become really good friends over a period of time, not unlike having a 'pen-friend'.

It is a personal decision when all is said and done, and to those who decide to 'become involved' with another online, must, for their own protection be prepared to be disappointed or even hurt at some stage during their association with another contact online. This, of course, doesn't always happen, and some 'online' friendships can develop into a much deeper and longer lasting friendship.

I know of a woman in her 40's, a single parent of 4 children (now all adult), who became a good friend of a fella who lived over 200 miles away. The friendship (started when the children were all still in school) developed over time, and to cut a long story short, they got married and are living very happily, the fella having sold his bachelor flat and moved in with the woman. The children treated him as their dad, and they got on like 'a house on fire'. Now they are all adults and have gone their own ways, but they still enjoy visiting their 'parents'.

Everybody is different, they each have their own reasons why they joined a forum, and each person makes the decision to either keep their distance whilst online, or allow themselves to become involved with somebody and develop a friendship. Neither should be sneered at, nor laughed at, but each should be accepted as that persons own personal choice.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
along-for-the-ride

Sensitivity

Post by along-for-the-ride »

When I arrive at Forum Garden, the first things I see are small pictures and boxes with neatly typed words inside them. But....I know the words are typed there with fingers that belong to real people. For awhile, these people leave their real worlds and share a bit of themselves with us here. I appreciate these moments. And I do share a bit of myself with you as well. The few who come here in disguise or with ill-intent do not bother me. I ignore them. But, for the many of you who have shared yourselves with us through the years I have been here, I do care. I have smiled and laughed with you; worried and sorrowed with you.

Am I sensitve? God, I hope so.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Lon

Sensitivity

Post by Lon »

G#Gill;1317062 wrote: Lon, you are obviously more resilient than some others, with regard to associations with other people on internet forums. You have the ability to remain remote, and not get too involved with individuals that you have discussions with online.

It is probably easier for a fella to do this, than it is for your average emotional woman. True, there are many women who have that ability to not get involved with somebody they are never likely to meet in real life. To people such as these, a 'chat/discussion' forum is just a 'hobby' to be kept remote from their 'real life' activities, and to not treat with too much seriousness.

However, when some people 'talk' to others in a forum, on a regular basis for a period of time, those people develop the feeling of knowing that person to a certain extent and become 'online friends'. Whether the other person is actually the genuine article (that they are not fabricating their circumstances), or whether they are not genuine, is neither here nor there. To a person who forms a friendship in this manner, their 'friend' is a very real person to them. It must seem strange to somebody who intentionally remains 'remote' from others they may have contact with online, but it is a fact that many people can become really good friends over a period of time, not unlike having a 'pen-friend'.

It is a personal decision when all is said and done, and to those who decide to 'become involved' with another online, must, for their own protection be prepared to be disappointed or even hurt at some stage during their association with another contact online. This, of course, doesn't always happen, and some 'online' friendships can develop into a much deeper and longer lasting friendship.

I know of a woman in her 40's, a single parent of 4 children (now all adult), who became a good friend of a fella who lived over 200 miles away. The friendship (started when the children were all still in school) developed over time, and to cut a long story short, they got married and are living very happily, the fella having sold his bachelor flat and moved in with the woman. The children treated him as their dad, and they got on like 'a house on fire'. Now they are all adults and have gone their own ways, but they still enjoy visiting their 'parents'.

Everybody is different, they each have their own reasons why they joined a forum, and each person makes the decision to either keep their distance whilst online, or allow themselves to become involved with somebody and develop a friendship. Neither should be sneered at, nor laughed at, but each should be accepted as that persons own personal choice.

Good Post------You are a smart lady.
littleCJelkton

Sensitivity

Post by littleCJelkton »

Lon;1317093 wrote: Good Post------You are a smart lady.

Again as I like to use proof to back my facts, but I believe the pictures I would have to post on here to rubuke that statement, from which I am not sure of where You got that assumption, are not allowed on this forum.
Kathy Ellen

Sensitivity

Post by Kathy Ellen »

littleCJelkton;1317110 wrote: Again as I like to use proof to back my facts, but I believe the pictures I would have to post on here to rubuke that statement, from which I am not sure of where You got that assumption, are not allowed on this forum.

Hello CJ,

Lon posted "You are a smart lady" to Gill not to you. And, she is a smart lady:-6
Snowfire

Sensitivity

Post by Snowfire »

Accountable;1317023 wrote: http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/gener ... quare.html

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/300017-post45.html

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/300649-post133.html

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/300768-post173.html

By Lon

I enjoy FG and the varied posts and responses, but I take it all with a grain of salt, for away from this PC is a real world, with real people that you can touch and feel and smell and interact with.

I touched, felt, smelt and interacted with every one of them :D
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Betty Boop

Sensitivity

Post by Betty Boop »

Snowfire;1317133 wrote: By Lon

:thinking: Did I miss something :wah::wah:
pinkchick

Sensitivity

Post by pinkchick »

I disagree. I have built up some wonderful friendships with a few Forum Gardeners over the years and I've had the great pleasure of meeting some of them. Personally speaking ... if one of my friends here said something that upset or annoyed me, I would talk to them about it. As far as I'm concerned, if you take the time to get to know someone it's a friendship regardless of whether you talk via a computer screen or face to face. Both are valid and equally important.
Very nearly perfect ... :D
G#Gill

Sensitivity

Post by G#Gill »

Thank you Lon ! I only wrote what I felt and what I have observed. Yes I am sensitive, and sometimes it can be a damn nuisance, but I wouldn't and couldn't be hard hearted or thick skinned. :-6 :D ;)
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
flopstock

Sensitivity

Post by flopstock »

Betty Boop;1317136 wrote: :thinking: Did I miss something :wah::wah:

Something tells me that all that happened at these meets has not been faithfully reported back to the garden....:sneaky:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Lon

Sensitivity

Post by Lon »

pinkchick;1317137 wrote: I disagree. I have built up some wonderful friendships with a few Forum Gardeners over the years and I've had the great pleasure of meeting some of them. Personally speaking ... if one of my friends here said something that upset or annoyed me, I would talk to them about it. As far as I'm concerned, if you take the time to get to know someone it's a friendship regardless of whether you talk via a computer screen or face to face. Both are valid and equally important.

I agree----------once meeting someone in person it's a whole new ball game and that's my whole point.
Lon

Sensitivity

Post by Lon »

Snowfire;1317133 wrote: By Lon

How sweet.
pinkchick

Sensitivity

Post by pinkchick »

Lon;1317150 wrote: I agree----------once meeting someone in person it's a whole new ball game and that's my whole point.

It is a little different but what I was trying to point out is that for me, there are friends here that I haven't met in person yet. I may never get the opportunity to meet some of them. It doesn't matter though because they are still friends.
fuzzywuzzy

Sensitivity

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I will meet some members and past members from this board.. what people write and how they respond gives me an insight into what kind of person they are . If someone is without humour or takes themselves too seriously (as in self importance) it gives me an insight to their character and allows me to decide whether or not I would like to meet them.

For some, a forum is just a hobby. My intentions on a forum is to meet people from all walks of life and interact personally with them.

So I guess if someone upsets me it's more personal than merely seeing them as words and opinions on a page. Granted there are those who I wouldn't mind seeing blown up but there are others that are very special to me ....and of course all those in between. :o
Lon

Sensitivity

Post by Lon »

pinkchick;1317154 wrote: It is a little different but what I was trying to point out is that for me, there are friends here that I haven't met in person yet. I may never get the opportunity to meet some of them. It doesn't matter though because they are still friends.

OK---no problem----we each have a different idea about what constitutes a friend.
Lon

Sensitivity

Post by Lon »

fuzzywuzzy;1317156 wrote: I will meet some members and past members from this board.. what people write and how they respond gives me an insight into what kind of person they are . If someone is without humour or takes themselves too seriously (as in self importance) it gives me an insight to their character and allows me to decide whether or not I would like to meet them.

For some, a forum is just a hobby. My intentions on a forum is to meet people from all walks of life and interact personally with them.

So I guess if someone upsets me it's more personal than merely seeing them as words and opinions on a page. Granted there are those who I wouldn't mind seeing blown up but there are others that are very special to me ....and of course all those in between. :o

Next time I am in Oz (which might be next year) I would like to meet you Fuzzy, and I'll just bet we see each other in a totally different light>
pinkchick

Sensitivity

Post by pinkchick »

Lon;1317159 wrote: OK---no problem----we each have a different idea about what constitutes a friend.
I can live with that
fuzzywuzzy

Sensitivity

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Lon;1317161 wrote: Next time I am in Oz (which might be next year) I would like to meet you Fuzzy, and I'll just bet we see each other in a totally different light>

I shall endeavour to be in a good mood that day :)
Lon

Sensitivity

Post by Lon »

fuzzywuzzy;1317164 wrote: I shall endeavour to be in a good mood that day :)

Just be your natural self.:wah:
fuzzywuzzy

Sensitivity

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

'grumpy bum', it is then:yh_rotfl

Return to “General Chit Chat”