New Software???

For technical issues relating to ForumGarden and its associated pages.
kazalala

New Software???

Post by kazalala »

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/news- ... pdate.html

Anyone know whats happening about this:thinking::-2

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Bryn Mawr

New Software???

Post by Bryn Mawr »

kazalala;1316028 wrote: http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/news- ... pdate.html

Not heard anything for a long time :-(
spot

New Software???

Post by spot »

It was posted when vBulletin's version 4 beta testing was in progress and would have involved a considerable amount of work to transform the bare release into the ForumGarden look and functionality. Quite a number of vBulletin sites have remained on version 3 and not attempted the major upgrade.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
kazalala

New Software???

Post by kazalala »

Bryn Mawr;1316059 wrote: Not heard anything for a long time :-(

thought not as this is about the third time i asked and usually dont get any answer at all:thinking::wah:

spot;1316064 wrote: It was posted when vBulletin's version 4 beta testing was in progress and would have involved a considerable amount of work to transform the bare release into the ForumGarden look and functionality. Quite a number of vBulletin sites have remained on version 3 and not attempted the major upgrade.

so does that mean he changed his mind and we aint getting the new stuff:confused:

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
spot

New Software???

Post by spot »

kazalala;1316104 wrote: so does that mean he changed his mind and we aint getting the new stuff:confused:

I'm quite sure the site's software will continue to upgrade over time, though I've no idea what direction the changes will take. What's running seems robust.

What changes in particular were you hoping to see?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Peg

New Software???

Post by Peg »

kazalala;1316104 wrote: thought not as this is about the third time i asked and usually dont get any answer at all:thinking::wah:

so does that mean he changed his mind and we aint getting the new stuff:confused:

Your guess is good as anyone's.
kazalala

New Software???

Post by kazalala »

spot;1316144 wrote: I'm quite sure the site's software will continue to upgrade over time, though I've no idea what direction the changes will take. What's running seems robust.

What changes in particular were you hoping to see?

Just what TS said was coming basically. I have copied his post (below) from the link i gave

Hi Everyone!

Just to let you know, I'm beginning the upgrade process to get the server and ForumGarden ready for its new software.

There are several software items that I have to upgrade first. I'll then create a new test environment for ForumGarden and attempt to upgrade using this special install environment. If all goes well, ForumGarden will be running on its new version of software in a few weeks.

The updated software will give everyone better control, more features, and fully integrates the forums, blogs, user areas, and (new) article sections.

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
kazalala

New Software???

Post by kazalala »

Peg;1316158 wrote: Your guess is good as anyone's.

Oh dear:-3

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
spot

New Software???

Post by spot »

I think he copied that from the beta 4 marketing blurb, none of it actually means anything.
kazalala

New Software???

Post by kazalala »

spot;1316180 wrote: I think he copied that from the beta 4 marketing blurb, none of it actually means anything.

really? well what a load of crap!:-5:mad:

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
spot

New Software???

Post by spot »

kazalala;1316207 wrote: really? well what a load of crap!:-5:mad:

I'm still not sure what software changes you're looking for, or what you think they'll do that isn't already available here. We're on vBulletin 3.7.4, the latest release on version 3 is 3.8.5 and the stable version 4 is 4.0.5. Going to version 4 is a big step and would probably have an impact on the functionality here, pushing up to the latest version 3 release really wouldn't show much though it would be a good idea.

What's niggling in the back of your mind?
kazalala

New Software???

Post by kazalala »

spot;1316209 wrote: I'm still not sure what software changes you're looking for, or what you think they'll do that isn't already available here. We're on vBulletin 3.7.4, the latest release on version 3 is 3.8.5 and the stable version 4 is 4.0.5. Going to version 4 is a big step and would probably have an impact on the functionality here, pushing up to the latest version 3 release really wouldn't show much though it would be a good idea.

What's niggling in the back of your mind?

i will tell you what's niggling in the back of my mind. I don't know much about computers or software technically, its not the fact of what software i am looking for, but TS posting that in my opinion, gave the impression new stuff was coming,, oooerr i wonder what it will be says i? sits about excitedly waiting ,, every now and then wondering if its nearly finished. Time goes on and i forget about it eventually but now and then it pops back in to my brain and i think hmmm wonder if thats still going ahead?,, i ask ,, no reply. Time goes on again etc.....

The updated software will give everyone better control, more features, and fully integrates the forums, blogs, user areas, and (new) article sections.

This sounds like, wow wonder what new stuff we are getting,,so what's niggling at the back of my mind is, why say it then decide not to bother then don't even bother to tell us you aint bothering. TS told me in a mail nearly a year ago he was looking at new software that would hopefully help with a lot of issues here. If he found out that indeed was not the case and the new software wasn't worth bothering with, he could have at least said so, informed mods, whatever.

Also to be honest im just asking a question thats all and hoping for an answer.

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Mustang

New Software???

Post by Mustang »

kazalala;1316028 wrote: http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/news- ... pdate.html

I sent an email and a link to this thread to TS with your inquiry Kazalala.
spot

New Software???

Post by spot »

kazalala;1316230 wrote: Also to be honest im just asking a question thats all and hoping for an answer.

One can only hope that when he shows up he'll come into this thread and explain the hiatus. My own opinion is that more "facilities" are actually nasty add-ons that allow bragging rights over reputation or "juju" or "thanks" or even, god help us, "hug count". My preference tends toward stripped down lean hungry aggressive software rather than bloated stuff which strokes egos, but I'm often in a minority on matters like that.

I hope it's not me that's been chasing you round the board? I have horrid opinions but I'd hate to be a nuisance to anyone.
kazalala

New Software???

Post by kazalala »

spot;1316239 wrote: One can only hope that when he shows up he'll come into this thread and explain the hiatus. My own opinion is that more "facilities" are actually nasty add-ons that allow bragging rights over reputation or "juju" or "thanks" or even, god help us, "hug count". My preference tends toward stripped down lean hungry aggressive software rather than bloated stuff which strokes egos, but I'm often in a minority on matters like that.

I hope it's not me that's been chasing you round the board? I have horrid opinions but I'd hate to be a nuisance to anyone.

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotflno its certainly not you. You i could probably speak to about it if that was the case:thinking:

i dunno exactly what new stuff was coming or wether i would like it ,,, it just bugged me is all:wah:

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Ahso!

New Software???

Post by Ahso! »

kazalala;1316230 wrote: i will tell you what's niggling in the back of my mind. I don't know much about computers or software technically, its not the fact of what software i am looking for, but TS posting that in my opinion, gave the impression new stuff was coming,, oooerr i wonder what it will be says i? sits about excitedly waiting ,, every now and then wondering if its nearly finished. Time goes on and i forget about it eventually but now and then it pops back in to my brain and i think hmmm wonder if thats still going ahead?,, i ask ,, no reply. Time goes on again etc.....

This sounds like, wow wonder what new stuff we are getting,,so what's niggling at the back of my mind is, why say it then decide not to bother then don't even bother to tell us you aint bothering. TS told me in a mail nearly a year ago he was looking at new software that would hopefully help with a lot of issues here. If he found out that indeed was not the case and the new software wasn't worth bothering with, he could have at least said so, informed mods, whatever.

Also to be honest im just asking a question thats all and hoping for an answer.I agree with you, Kaz. TS and I exchanged PM's a number of months ago regarding certain forum concerns and he indicated to me he was listening and interested in some changes but was waiting to 'hit the button on the upgrades' before doing so. In retrospect it now seems he was just buying time. For whatever reason TS is disengaged with this FG. Perhaps he believes its best days are behind it.

For what its worth, I suggest that those of you who are honestly concerned with this forum (and I assume that would be most of the supporting members) get together and decide whether or not you all want to let TS know that unless certain changes take place you are no longer going to post and moderate and see if he engages. At that point I suggest you all chip in and make him a good offer to buy the forum, and if he agrees to sell it, you can then administer it as you like similar to a co-op (Ben and Jerry's style).

There are plenty of alternatives out there. Spot has a nice little forum, Jazzy has one going that seems descent, and there are others, too. Change happens and as Nomad said, people come and people go. You all had a good run here and I hope you can salvage whatever it is you want to.

Good Luck!
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
kazalala

New Software???

Post by kazalala »

Ahso!;1316248 wrote: I agree with you, Kaz. TS and I exchanged PM's a number of months ago regarding certain forum concerns and he indicated to me he was listening and interested in some changes but was waiting to 'hit the button on the upgrades' before doing so. In retrospect it now seems he was just buying time. For whatever reason TS is disengaged with this FG. Perhaps he believes its best days are behind it.

For what its worth, I suggest that those of you who are honestly concerned with this forum (and I assume that would be most of the supporting members) get together and decide whether or not you all want to let TS know that unless certain changes take place you are no longer going to post and moderate and see if he engages. At that point I suggest you all chip in and make him a good offer to buy the forum, and if he agrees to sell it, you can then administer it as you like similar to a co-op (Ben and Jerry's style).

There are plenty of alternatives out there. Spot has a nice little forum, Jazzy has one going that seems descent, and there are others, too. Change happens and as Nomad said, people come and people go. You all had a good run here and I hope you can salvage whatever it is you want to.

Good Luck!

yiou mentioned moderators there as well as members and i have to say ,, i feel a bit sorry for themn as they seem to have been left to get on with it:-3 a bit unfair considering they are doing a voluntary job:thinking:

I mean they couldnt even answer me here so its obvious they havent been kept informed either:confused:

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
YZGI

New Software???

Post by YZGI »

Ahso!;1316248 wrote: I agree with you, Kaz. TS and I exchanged PM's a number of months ago regarding certain forum concerns and he indicated to me he was listening and interested in some changes but was waiting to 'hit the button on the upgrades' before doing so. In retrospect it now seems he was just buying time. For whatever reason TS is disengaged with this FG. Perhaps he believes its best days are behind it.

Good Luck!
What does a forum go for now days?
spot

New Software???

Post by spot »

YZGI;1316293 wrote: What does a forum go for now days?

Fresh, empty, ad-free and pristine? $120 a year fully licensed and hosted.
YZGI

New Software???

Post by YZGI »

spot;1316294 wrote: Fresh, empty, ad-free and pristine? $120 a year fully licensed and hosted.
How about an established forum such as FG?
spot

New Software???

Post by spot »

YZGI;1316295 wrote: How about an established forum such as FG?

Whatever the market will bear, given the terms set by the seller.
kazalala

New Software???

Post by kazalala »

Spot, has the sparkly thread been removed? If its gone to compost is it still going? i contributed quite a lot to that thread and if its in compost now i cant participate in it any more:(:-5

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
spot

New Software???

Post by spot »

kazalala;1316443 wrote: Spot, has the sparkly thread been removed? If its gone to compost is it still going? i contributed quite a lot to that thread and if its in compost now i cant participate in it any more:(:-5

Yes it has, and I'm getting the decision reviewed. I hope to have the thread back on the main board within an hour or two.
kazalala

New Software???

Post by kazalala »

spot;1316450 wrote: Yes it has, and I'm getting the decision reviewed. I hope to have the thread back on the main board within an hour or two.

good luck!:)

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
kazalala

New Software???

Post by kazalala »

by the way ,, i can afford 70 to 80 quid a year to own a forum;):D

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
spot

New Software???

Post by spot »

kazalala;1316454 wrote: by the way ,, i can afford 70 to 80 quid a year to own a forum;):D

Bloody hell... are you over eighteen?
kazalala

New Software???

Post by kazalala »

spot;1316455 wrote: Bloody hell... are you over eighteen?

Just:D

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
spot

New Software???

Post by spot »

kazalala;1316456 wrote: Just:D

Every child protection monitoring service on the Internet probably screamed for supervisor attention at that last post. "Do you fancy a drink sometime" would be well out of order at this point.
kazalala

New Software???

Post by kazalala »

spot;1316457 wrote: Every child protection monitoring service on the Internet probably screamed for supervisor attention at that last post. "Do you fancy a drink sometime" would be well out of order at this point.

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl, i always fancy a drink;)no tthat im an alki or owt:thinking:no too late now everyone knows:wah:

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Problems, Solutions Feedback”