Is this usual practice?

Peter Lake

Is this usual practice?

Post by Peter Lake »

My wife and i received news a few days ago that an aquaintence had died of a sudden heart attack and were asked to attend her funeral by her husband along with many others in the village.

We then learned that they are Jehovah's Witnesses and we were both ready to attend the funeral to pay our respects to the lady. We then learned that the Jehovah's Witnesses would see how many non Jehovah's Witnesses were in the congregation and if the non's outweigh the practicing, then we were told the service would be far longer for a talk to be given to the unconverted.

I wondered if this was usual practice as my wife has now refused to attend the funeral and others who'll attend are'nt happy about this and one friend of ours said she'll still attend but will walk out if they begin any of this. My wife pointed out that should many non converts attend her brothers catholic church for say, a christening, the catholic brothers don't attempt any form of this.
Betty Boop

Is this usual practice?

Post by Betty Boop »

Yikes, I wouldn't want to go either if there was a possibility of that!

And no, I won't be asking the next one that knocks on my door if it's true for you :wah:

Actually I thought I'd opened up the door to two last night, but they turned out to be selling Sky :rolleyes:
Peter Lake

Is this usual practice?

Post by Peter Lake »

Betty Boop;1313241 wrote: Yikes, I wouldn't want to go either if there was a possibility of that!

And no, I won't be asking the next one that knocks on my door if it's true for you :wah:

Actually I thought I'd opened up the door to two last night, but they turned out to be selling Sky :rolleyes:
The wife thinks it disgusting that they should use a passing for this reason.

Julie did invite them in once and they never got a word in. They made their excuses after an hour on the prophecies of Nostradamus and we haven't seen them since.
Peter Lake

Is this usual practice?

Post by Peter Lake »

I have just found this on wikki questions and answers.

The real deal:

A Jehovah's Witness funeral service is led by a Jehovah's Witness elder and is seen as mainly an opportunity to preach the message of the Jehovah's Witnesses, namely, destruction of the current 'world system of things' at a bloody Armageddon (previously 'suggested' by the Watchtower, Bible and Tract Society to be imminent in 1914, 1925 and 1975). Members are taught that 'Jehovah God' will destroy all those he deems unfit to live forever in his new 'paradise earth'.

The elder may spend between 2-5 minutes of the approximately 30 minute service actually talking about the deceased and their life.
gmc

Is this usual practice?

Post by gmc »

You're paying your respects to someone and that's why you are going. Have you lost your regard for that person because you now know their religion? Pay your respects and if it's in accord with their wishes that the funeral is a chance to proselytise then so be it. It's not going to harm you and part of paying your respects to the deceased is surely respecting their religious beliefs however weird you may find them. If you can't respect that don't go to the funeral because quite clearly you have no respect to pay. I'm not religious but I will sit through a christian service out of respect, what I might think of the belief doesn't matter.
Lon

Is this usual practice?

Post by Lon »

gmc;1313264 wrote: You're paying your respects to someone and that's why you are going. Have you lost your regard for that person because you now know their religion? Pay your respects and if it's in accord with their wishes that the funeral is a chance to proselytise then so be it. It's not going to harm you and part of paying your respects to the deceased is surely respecting their religious beliefs however weird you may find them. If you can't respect that don't go to the funeral because quite clearly you have no respect to pay. I'm not religious but I will sit through a christian service out of respect, what I might think of the belief doesn't matter.

Excellent response.
LarsMac

Is this usual practice?

Post by LarsMac »

gmc;1313264 wrote: You're paying your respects to someone and that's why you are going. Have you lost your regard for that person because you now know their religion? Pay your respects and if it's in accord with their wishes that the funeral is a chance to proselytise then so be it. It's not going to harm you and part of paying your respects to the deceased is surely respecting their religious beliefs however weird you may find them. If you can't respect that don't go to the funeral because quite clearly you have no respect to pay. I'm not religious but I will sit through a christian service out of respect, what I might think of the belief doesn't matter.

Lon;1313267 wrote: Excellent response.

I agree.

What is really important -paying respect to your friend, or avoiding being preached at?
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Peter Lake

Is this usual practice?

Post by Peter Lake »

I take it from your response that you're assuming the wife finds the Jehovah's Witnesses to be weird as you put it but this isn't the case. She'd be quite happy in any religious ceremony including Scientology should that be the persons choosing. It's that we've been told that the service will be lengthened if the mourners are mostly the unconverted and it's this that she objects to, not the religion. As she says, she can pay her respects in other ways such as calling on the family to see if there's anything she can do but she finds the using of a persons passing for a reason to preach that religion, an affront. If the service was of usual nature then she'd attend but not when the service will be lengthened because the unconverted happen to want to pay respect to the lady.

Your also guessing that the lady who has died would be quite happy to have anyone who attends preached to in this fashion because that happens to be the religion of her choosing. I am of a religion but i'd be quite annoyed if the vicar used my funeral service to preach to non C of E.
Lon

Is this usual practice?

Post by Lon »

Peter Lake;1313283 wrote: I take it from your response that you're assuming the wife finds the Jehovah's Witnesses to be weird as you put it but this isn't the case. She'd be quite happy in any religious ceremony including Scientology should that be the persons choosing. It's that we've been told that the service will be lengthened if the mourners are mostly the unconverted and it's this that she objects to, not the religion. As she says, she can pay her respects in other ways such as calling on the family to see if there's anything she can do but she finds the using of a persons passing for a reason to preach that religion, an affront. If the service was of usual nature then she'd attend but not when the service will be lengthened because the unconverted happen to want to pay respect to the lady.

Your also guessing that the lady who has died would be quite happy to have anyone who attends preached to in this fashion because that happens to be the religion of her choosing. I am of a religion but i'd be quite annoyed if the vicar used my funeral service to preach to non C of E.

And I would bet you a pint or two that when your wife makes her house call she will be given a copy of the latest "Watchtower" pamphlet.:)
Peter Lake

Is this usual practice?

Post by Peter Lake »

Lon;1313286 wrote: And I would bet you a pint or two that when your wife makes her house call she will be given a copy of the latest "Watchtower" pamphlet.:) Wasn't that a Hendrix track?
along-for-the-ride

Is this usual practice?

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Peter Lake;1313288 wrote: Wasn't that a Hendrix track?

Off topic:

YouTube - Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower - ORIGINAL MUSIC VIDEO

On topic:

My advise is to go to the funeral and pay your respects to the lady, and comfort the family. It is what it is. Don't let resentment of a religious custom hinder your chance to do the right thing. JMO
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
CARLA

Is this usual practice?

Post by CARLA »

:wah: I never answer my door and find one rubber banded to my door knob weekly. :-5

[QUOTE]

And I would bet you a pint or two that when your wife makes her house call she will be given a copy of the latest "Watchtower" pamphlet.:)

[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

K.Snyder

Is this usual practice?

Post by K.Snyder »

From my observations between Jehovah's witnesses and the non-converted the more these preachings go on the less likely they're going to convert anyone!

By this mathematical equation I'd suggest to go and wish to stay as long as possible if you're against the customs of these particular settings.

Bring about a cooler full of blood sausage if you're feeling really "cheeky". Leave the blood pudding at home if you plan on taking the blood sausage as this might create a real * storm!

Return to “General Religious Discussions”