How does your garden grow?

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Patsy Warnick;1313178 wrote: OK Gardeners Can you freeze Tomatoes?

Of course you can. They won't be good for anything bar cooking afterwards, though. You could possibly preserve them by drying or "tinning" them in kilner jars, although it would be a lot of effort for the £ involved.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

I know the texture of them will change so they'll be good for sauce & soups.

I don't have to do anything prior to freezing them?

I hate to freeze them but I have so many.

Thanks

Patsy
Odie

Post by Odie »

Patsy Warnick;1313297 wrote: I know the texture of them will change so they'll be good for sauce & soups.

I don't have to do anything prior to freezing them?

I hate to freeze them but I have so many.

Thanks

Patsy

Patsy, I froze mine last year, didn't do anything to them, just cut them up, they were very tasty in my sauce.
Life is just to short for drama.
saramartin

Post by saramartin »

Check new plants and water as needed to keep the soil slightly moist. Gradually reduce the frequency, so you are watering thoroughly once a week in heavy soils and twice a week in sandy/rocky soils:-6
[link removed by moderator]
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

I have noticed that I'm going to get an awful lot of African marigolds this year, from the raked-about seed heads of last year's flowers. There'll be a blaze of colour among the strawberries and runner beans. I bought some new seed this year, too. Bah. That'll learn me!
Odie

Post by Odie »

Bill Sikes;1314383 wrote: I have noticed that I'm going to get an awful lot of African marigolds this year, from the raked-about seed heads of last year's flowers. There'll be a blaze of colour among the strawberries and runner beans. I bought some new seed this year, too. Bah. That'll learn me!

that's great, marigolds here a well know popular flower.

enjoy!:-6
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Beans are in, squirrells are assisting (Ahem) with the planting of the cucumbers and cougettes.

Anything could happen.

:thinking::thinking:
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Odie

Post by Odie »

Clodhopper;1314396 wrote: Beans are in, squirrells are assisting (Ahem) with the planting of the cucumbers and cougettes.

Anything could happen.

isn't it grand having squirrels around?

put some 'blood meal' down, its good for the earth and squirrels hate it.;)
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

isn't it grand having squirrels around?

put some 'blood meal' down, its good for the earth and squirrels hate it.

Hiya Odie. :)

Blood meal. I'll bear it in mind. They've worked out how to get inside the fruit cage I've put up over the veg patch.

I do like having the squirrels around, even though they are an invasive species and officially classed as vermin. the female who comes round has recently had her kitts (is that what you call baby squirrels?) judging by her change of shape, so hopefully I'll soon be seeing them in my garden. They are THE cutest things - a large tail with a tiny squirrel attached. You worry that if there's a strong puff of wind they'll just get carried away!

Tan

Post by Tan »

yaaarrrgg;1310509 wrote: I tripled the size of my garden this year. Aside from the usual vegetables, I'm going to try growing bhut jolokia. They are the hottest pepper in the world.

Bhut Jolokia pepper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I want some!
Tan
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Patsy Warnick;1312149 wrote: I have tomatoes coming out my ears.......

I'll have to give some away to neighbors.

Nothing better than Home Grown - delish

Patsy

Crimony! How did i keep missing this thread?:-5

Get a dehydrator! They are great and don't cost much. I dried a bunch last year. garnished some with cupboard spices and this winter, chopped them up to throw on salads.

Which reminds me.... I'm trying the hanging guy again just because you promised I'd get lots. If I don't get something this year, you can expect it wrapped and on your doorstep for christmas!:p:wah:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Clodhopper;1314396 wrote: Beans are in, squirrells are assisting (Ahem) with the planting of the cucumbers and cougettes.

Anything could happen.

I love fried zucchini!:-4

And yes, I had to go look up 'cougettes'!:wah:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Odie;1314404 wrote: isn't it grand having squirrels around?

put some 'blood meal' down, its good for the earth and squirrels hate it.;)

Sister in law has a lot of squirrels and this one she calls Fat Boy because he hogs all the food, refusing to let the others get near the feeder. She had her son build 4 feeder trays for the others, which we'll install today. It's fun to watch them. I din't have squirrels in the desert in Cal.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Zapata;1314496 wrote:

Sister in law has a lot of squirrels and this one she calls Fat Boy because he hogs all the food, refusing to let the others get near the feeder. She had her son build 4 feeder trays for the others, which we'll install today. It's fun to watch them. I din't have squirrels in the desert in Cal.

that's cute, Fat Boy!:wah:

they are fun to watch, I have two here that chase each other from one yard to another.

my sunflower feeder is squirrel proof, but they still try and end up hanging upside down.:yh_rotfl
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

And yes, I had to go look up 'cougettes'!

:o Just noticed I misspelled "courgette". :wah: So you did very well to find it!

The dehydrator sounds a nifty little gadget. Never heard of it before! Works on both herbs and fruit, I assume?

Hmm. Do they come cat sized? Too many cats around here...;)

rgmoore

Post by rgmoore »

I got my roses as usual and this I will try to add some tomatoes. I envy on people posting about eating fresh tomatoes out of their own garden. Its just wonderful reading those posts and i want to try it too. I want to make that feeling of eating what you had planted and sowed. :-6
"A garden is a grand teacher. It teaches patience and careful watchfulness; it teaches industry and thrift; above all it teaches entire trust. " Gertrude Jekyll

~~ Rose Moore
Odie

Post by Odie »

my beefsteak tomatoes are growing extremely fast for having planted them a month ago, tons of buds and tons of tying the long thick stems up.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Beans are hurtling out of the soil and up the canes. Red flowers bursting out of buds. Cucumbers are climbing the string as if terrified of worms. The courgettes say, "You think this is something? You ain't seen nothing yet!" The peppers and chilli are staying quiet. Seem happy, just quiet. Cue Jaws music...:-3

Borage is a real bumble bee fuel stop. Thoroughly recommend.

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Clodhopper;1315598 wrote: Beans are hurtling out of the soil and up the canes. Red flowers bursting out of buds. Cucumbers are climbing the string as if terrified of worms. The courgettes say, "You think this is something? You ain't seen nothing yet!" The peppers and chilli are staying quiet. Seem happy, just quiet. Cue Jaws music...:-3

What do you mean 'climbing the string'?

off to google......:p

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Clodhopper;1315598 wrote: Beans are hurtling out of the soil and up the canes. Red flowers bursting out of buds. Cucumbers are climbing the string as if terrified of worms. The courgettes say, "You think this is something? You ain't seen nothing yet!" The peppers and chilli are staying quiet. Seem happy, just quiet. Cue Jaws music...:-3

That sounds lovely:-6 Oh, please post some pics of your garden Clod......I'd love to see it.

I have pavers and no more garden. But, I did plant tomatoes in the upside down holders and now have flowers on them. Guess I'll have tommos in July.

I'm going to plant strawberries in the upside down holders when I have time.

My basil, rosemary, oregano, hot peppers, thyme and tarragon are looking great also.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

What do you mean 'climbing the string'?

:wah: I don't think you'll have much luck with google.

Apparently the way to grow cucumbers is to pinch out the new growth after the seventh leaf and encourage the side shoots that develop to climb up string or canes or netting. The plant has special gripping tendrils that curl round anything they contact. Mine haven't even waited for me to pinch out the new growth - they are grabbing the string I have artfully arranged and heading skyward!

I'm no expert gardener or anything. Only been doing this a few years. But it seems to work! :)

KE: Sorry, don't have the relevant technology to take photos and post them here. It's a small garden, and the vegetable patch is even smaller. Fun though - and the fresh veg is veeeery tasty.:D

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

My beans were all flowering mid week here. I figure they will be in prime picking condition while I'm away.

So anyhoot... you're all welcome to stop by and help yourselves. I can't stand when they get too big, I'd rather get them young.

That reminds me.. I transplanted a cactus someone sent me last year that hadn't done anything in the year I'd had it. This is what it did in the first month since I put it in a bigger pot...go figure:rolleyes:

Attached files

Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

I can almost here the cactus giving a long sigh of relief. :wah:

I've got trouble with my beans. :-1 The flowers are dropping without pollinating. Don't know why. The rest of the plant seems perfectly healthy. Have only seen one bee go near the plants, but assume others must have, since the cucumbers appear to have pollinated. Any ideas would be appreciated...

ps: Unless it has rained watered almost every evening, fed every 10 days or so.

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

My basil plants just died....bummer...forgot to water them yesterday.:-1
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

My beloved's cherry tomato bush is all bush and few tomatoes. :thinking:
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

I think I've got Might-have-beans, not Runner beans.

Cucumbers growing at an enormous rate, though! And first flowers appearing on the chilli plant. Or it might be a pepper.

I'm also trying to grow Basil. Some little shoots appearing, but at present so small I can't tell if they are Basil or weeds.

Odie

Post by Odie »

my two beefsteak tomato plants now look like bushes and I have tomatoes!:guitarist:guitarist
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Looking at the way the flowers are falling off my bean plants, pretty soon the're going to be Sean Beans. Boooo.

On the other hand some of the weeds are definitely Basil. Yaaay!

Odie

Post by Odie »

Clodhopper;1320242 wrote: Looking at the way the flowers are falling off my bean plants, pretty soon the're going to be Sean Beans. Boooo.

On the other hand some of the weeds are definitely Basil. Yaaay!

what are Sean beans?
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Sean Bean is an actor:

http://www.southessex.co.uk/bios/images/seanbean.jpg

And if the flowers keep falling off my bean plants - they will be "shorn" too! :wah:

Odie

Post by Odie »

Clodhopper;1320258 wrote: Sean Bean is an actor:

And if the flowers keep falling off my bean plants - they will be "shorn" too! :wah:

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

You can give Sean Bean to me, I would have various things he could do for me.:lips:
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

I bought 2 beautiful basil plants, about 18" tall and bushy at Trader Joe's. $2.98 each. I gave one to my daughter. It's too hot now to put them outside but they are wonderful on the window sill.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Clodhopper;1320258 wrote: Sean Bean is an actor:

Hmm. Sean Bean is verrry nice! Is he related to Mr. Bean, by any chance?
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Zapata;1320284 wrote: Hmm. Sean Bean is verrry nice! Is he related to Mr. Bean, by any chance?

All Beans are from the legume family.:wah:
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

YZGI;1320292 wrote: All Beans are from the legume family.:wah:

I see. Thank you Izzy. And that would be the Legumes of North Carolina, I presume? Or was that LeJeune?
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

With weeds and vines, and those darn elms, and skunks digging it up and a couple of pathetic cucumber plants....but the radishes are doing great! Well, it's my first try!:(
Odie

Post by Odie »

Zapata;1320284 wrote: Hmm. Sean Bean is verrry nice! Is he related to Mr. Bean, by any chance?

I asked for him first eh?:yh_rotfl
Odie

Post by Odie »

Saint_;1320311 wrote: With weeds and vines, and those darn elms, and skunks digging it up and a couple of pathetic cucumber plants....but the radishes are doing great! Well, it's my first try!:(

put down 'blood meal', animals hate the smell and its great for gardens.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

(Primly) I'm sorry, Mr Bean is meant to be growing on MY plants. I be grateful if you'd all stop distracting him. I plan to parboil him. Distractions from other hemispheres are not helpful.

7 Basil plants so far. Yaay!

I have a horrible suspicion that the only cucumbers I've got so far are the ones I pollinated myself. Don't ask.

(Clodhopper heads for the garden with an expression of grim determination...)

Odie

Post by Odie »

Clodhopper;1320376 wrote: (Primly) I'm sorry, Mr Bean is meant to be growing on MY plants. I be grateful if you'd all stop distracting him. I plan to parboil him. Distractions from other hemispheres are not helpful.

7 Basil plants so far. Yaay!

I have a horrible suspicion that the only cucumbers I've got so far are the ones I pollinated myself. Don't ask.

(Clodhopper heads for the garden with an expression of grim determination...)

see what you don't understand is, I'm distracting him so he doesn't do any more damage to your beans.:sneaky:

7 basil plants, that's great!

I don't want to know about pollination.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

(aghast) You mean he's now a Has Bean?

Oh no!

I'm pretty smug about my Basil, though. The seeds were waaaaaay out of date, so I just made a furrow in the soil and tipped 'em in. We'll see if I can keep them alive a little longer. :)

Odie

Post by Odie »

Clodhopper;1320386 wrote: (aghast) You mean he's now a Has Bean?

Oh no!

I'm pretty smug about my Basil, though. The seeds were waaaaaay out of date, so I just made a furrow in the soil and tipped 'em in. We'll see if I can keep them alive a little longer. :)

good luck, I hope they stay alive for you and don't forget the blood meal for your critters.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Have to admit I'm not using the blood meal. I'm often out there in bare feet...I think I'll settle on threatening the squirrel with a high velocity haggis if necessary. :)

Odie

Post by Odie »

Clodhopper;1320542 wrote: Have to admit I'm not using the blood meal. I'm often out there in bare feet...I think I'll settle on threatening the squirrel with a high velocity haggis if necessary. :)

ewwwwwwwwwwwwww!:yh_rotfl
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Over the weekend, we picked zucchini and golden straightneck squash, cut them in half, marinated them in italian dressing and placed them on the grill. Fantastic! :-6
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Got back from Virginia yesterday and after I cut the grass, I hit the garden. First batch of green beans hanging there in perfect picking condition.:-6

Tomatoes all over the place, but green yet. Cucumbers and squash coming along nicely. I am starting to get a bit concerned over the pepper plants however. It may just be that it's been too wet for the peppers...:-3

Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Picked more squash, some cucumbers and a couple green peppers today. Lots of tomatoes, but nothing ripe yet. Also been picking blueberries off our bushes.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Mustang;1321464 wrote: Picked more squash, some cucumbers and a couple green peppers today. Lots of tomatoes, but nothing ripe yet. Also been picking blueberries off our bushes.

I've never had cuc's nor green peppers from a garden, they must taste really fresh.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm blueberries and ice cream.:-6
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Odie;1321470 wrote: I've never had cuc's nor green peppers from a garden, they must taste really fresh.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm blueberries and ice cream.:-6

If you ever have the chance to eat a freshly picked cucumber and pepper, you'd notice the difference immediately and never by store bought again. :) They're crisp and crunchy.

Blueberries and ice cream sound good Odie but I'm more looking forward to a fresh baked blueberry pie. :D
Odie

Post by Odie »

Mustang;1321476 wrote: If you ever have the chance to eat a freshly picked cucumber and pepper, you'd notice the difference immediately and never by store bought again. :) They're crisp and crunchy.

Blueberries and ice cream sound good Odie but I'm more looking forward to a fresh baked blueberry pie. :D

my neighbours across the street grow cuc's, I must ask her for one when I take her some of my tomatoes.

See, now I want pie.:-5

Return to “Gardening Forum”