Why Can't People Mind Their Own Business?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

Seriously why can't people just mind their own business? Do these type of people thrive for attention? Do they do it to make themselves look good? Why do they judge others that they don't even know? Any thoughts on this? :thinking:
minks

Post by minks »

Jazzy;1286528 wrote: Seriously why can't people just mind their own business? Do these type of people thrive for attention? Do they do it to make themselves look good? Why do they judge others that they don't even know? Any thoughts on this? :thinking:

yes it is because they lead boring lives and die for excitement.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

What are you referring to?
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

mikeinie;1286553 wrote: What are you referring to?

For an example, Mike, I will tell you about a neighbor. She just cannot mind her own business. She knows eveything about everyone. If I see her, I try to avoid her at every expense. She will start by saying things like "do you know what so and so just bought, do you know that so and so just got divorced, do you know so and so just lost their job?" Gosh, the list goes on and on with this woman. I have told her a hundred times that I don't care to know peoples business and yet she keeps it up. :-5
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Jazzy;1286559 wrote: For an example, Mike, I will tell you about a neighbor. She just cannot mind her own business. She knows eveything about everyone. If I see her, I try to avoid her at every expense. She will start by saying things like "do you know what so and so just bought, do you know that so and so just got divorced, do you know so and so just lost their job?" Gosh, the list goes on and on with this woman. I have told her a hundred times that I don't care to know peoples business and yet she keeps it up. :-5

Oh… I would say then that it is because their own lives are so boring that they need to fill the gap discussing the lives of others, and then usually judging them harshly so that they can then feel better about their own miserable existence.
guppy

Post by guppy »

Jazzy;1286559 wrote: For an example, Mike, I will tell you about a neighbor. She just cannot mind her own business. She knows eveything about everyone. If I see her, I try to avoid her at every expense. She will start by saying things like "do you know what so and so just bought, do you know that so and so just got divorced, do you know so and so just lost their job?" Gosh, the list goes on and on with this woman. I have told her a hundred times that I don't care to know peoples business and yet she keeps it up. :-5

i dont like that kind of stuff either..i try and avoid those people that persist in gossiping...it makes me nervous to hear it...
minks

Post by minks »

guppy;1286564 wrote: i dont like that kind of stuff either..i try and avoid those people that persist in gossiping...it makes me nervous to hear it...

Hi Guppy welcome back, hey let's start some gossip Guppy is back Guppy is back.

Oh Jaz my place of work is just like that gossip central, it's insane men here are 100X worse than women for gossip in this company.:yh_rotfl

― Mae West
guppy

Post by guppy »

minks;1286565 wrote: Hi Guppy welcome back, hey let's start some gossip Guppy is back Guppy is back.

Oh Jaz my place of work is just like that gossip central, it's insane men here are 100X worse than women for gossip in this company.:yh_rotfl

:p:p:p
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

Hello guppy and nice to see you! The other problem where I live is that when a house sells, they put in the paper what the new owner paid for the house. I don't think that's right either :-5
guppy

Post by guppy »

why ello Minks and Jazzy!!:)
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

guppy;1286573 wrote: why ello Minks and Jazzy!!:)

Go away now so we can talk about you :yh_rotfl
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Jazzy;1286559 wrote: For an example, Mike, I will tell you about a neighbor. She just cannot mind her own business. She knows eveything about everyone. If I see her, I try to avoid her at every expense. She will start by saying things like "do you know what so and so just bought, do you know that so and so just got divorced, do you know so and so just lost their job?" Gosh, the list goes on and on with this woman. I have told her a hundred times that I don't care to know peoples business and yet she keeps it up. :-5Perhaps she has a complex of some sort. Maybe she just doesn't know how to have other types of conversations. Its possible she shes been told her whole life that she is dumb or stupid and doesn't have the confidence to talk about anything interesting. Females in America, especially older females came up in a society that believed women should be bare foot and pregnant and should keep their mouths shut.

Gossipers can be annoying, but theres usually a good reason for their inability to hold conversations of substance. I dare not, nor should anyone else conclude she is stupid or shallow as shes probably heard enough of that nonsense.

You may want to consider inviting her over for tea and lunch and teach her she is interesting by asking her to tell you her story.

Just a suggestion!:)
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
minks

Post by minks »

guppy;1286573 wrote: why ello Minks and Jazzy!!:)

good to see you hope all is well,

Jazzy that is insane I can't believe that. I think someway somehow that is a breach of privacy here in Canada, mind you everything is a breach of privacy here ahahahahaha

― Mae West
guppy

Post by guppy »

Jazzy;1286575 wrote: Go away now so we can talk about you :yh_rotfl

mmm i dunno what to say back to that...:wah:
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

I was minding my own business just walking through the general chit chat section when I saw you guys in here and just had to come in and see what you were doing so I can feel empowered with knowledge and go and tell everyone else around... and golly gosh Guppy is here... g'day Hon!!!! And Happy New Year!!
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

guppy

Post by guppy »

AussiePam;1286588 wrote: I was minding my own business just walking through the general chit chat section when I saw you guys in here and just had to come in and see what you were doing so I can feel empowered with knowledge and go and tell everyone else around... and golly gosh Guppy is here... g'day Hon!!!! And Happy New Year!!

Howdy Aussie..i am curious..what is Australia day? eh?
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

I wonder what she will think about you gossiping about her?:D
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

guppy;1286580 wrote: mmm i dunno what to say back to that...:wah:
Hey Gupps whats up?
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

A combination of your 4 July and Thanksgiving Day. The date, 26 January, recalls the arrival of the First Fleet of European settlers but it's really a celebration of our nationhood.

It's the day when new Australians make their promises and receive citizenship. We don't go in for big razzamatazz parades like America but we have fireworks, barbecues, picnics at the beach and wave the flag. It's a big summer party - with some serious undertones. There's often lots of patriotic speeches, Australian music blares, an Australian of the Year is chosen, and we consider what our Australianness means, what it is that binds us - multicultural and diverse as we are - together.

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Hi Jazzy, and all of you ! Hi as well, and welcome back to Guppy ! Good to see you back Mrs!

I often wonder, if I'm collared by a 'gossip', how much do they tell others about me !!

Hence I never tell them anything about myself, or any of my business. I'm sure people like that, only gossip to you to try to glean some information back from you, to add to their existing fund of tittle tattle ! :wah:
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Odie

Post by Odie »

ahhhhhhhhhhh yes, the bored neighbours who have nothing else to do.

mine's an old bat, who never shuts up.:yh_ttth

I finally told her last year, if you can't say anything nice which you can't, don't say another word to me.

it worked.......serenity now.:D
Life is just to short for drama.
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

Odie;1286609 wrote: ahhhhhhhhhhh yes, the bored neighbours who have nothing else to do.

mine's an old bat, who never shuts up.:yh_ttth

I finally told her last year, if you can't say anything nice which you can't, don't say another word to me.

it worked.......serenity now.:D

That's not what she told me. She said it was the other way around :yh_rotfl
Odie

Post by Odie »

Jazzy;1286614 wrote: That's not what she told me. She said it was the other way around :yh_rotfl

she must be your neighbour to!:yh_rotfl
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Odie;1286619 wrote: she must be your neighbour to!:yh_rotfl

Excellent answer!!

Odie

Post by Odie »

AussiePam;1286621 wrote: Excellent answer!!

if the shoe fits eh?:yh_rotfl
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

That mouse looks a bit sick Odie ! :yh_rotfl
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

G#Gill;1286627 wrote: That mouse looks a bit sick Odie ! :yh_rotfl

Doesn't Odie have a cat?

Odie

Post by Odie »

G#Gill;1286627 wrote: That mouse looks a bit sick Odie ! :yh_rotfl

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

he's been around the block one to many times Gill!:yh_rotfl

just like its owner!:-5:yh_rotfl
gmc

Post by gmc »

It's religion. people are conditioned in to think they have the moral right to tell people what they are doing wrong. The tut tutters go to church every sunday to top up on sanctimony. at least robert burns thought so and since it was his birthday the other day

Robert Burns Country: Address To The Unco Guid, Or The Rigidly Righteous:

Address To The Unco Guid, Or The Rigidly Righteous

O ye wha are sae guid yoursel',

Sae pious and sae holy,

Ye've nought to do but mark and tell

Your neibours' fauts and folly!

Whase life is like a weel-gaun mill,

Supplied wi' store o' water;

The heaped happer's ebbing still,

An' still the clap plays clatter.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

pyles o' caff in

Well I don't have piles, and having just woken up, I'm a bit bleeding short of caffeine, the noo...

Keep the pyles..

GIMMEEEE COFFFEEEEE NOW@!!!!

Odie

Post by Odie »

AussiePam;1286632 wrote: Doesn't Odie have a cat?

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

4 cats, want one Pam?:yh_rotfl
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

No, Odie, but thankyou for the kind offer.

The cats obviously did their job well...

Odie

Post by Odie »

AussiePam;1286650 wrote: No, Odie, but thankyou for the kind offer.

The cats obviously did their job well...

:yh_rotfl
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Mona Lisa has apparently once again reared her inscrutable head in Forum Garden. This seems to happen when the moon is full, or even when it's not.

Attached files

Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

AussiePam;1286659 wrote: Mona Lisa has apparently once again reared her inscrutable head in Forum Garden. This seems to happen when the moon is full, or even when it's not.

She's so nosey that I think she's in the wrong thread :yh_rotfl
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

I think she heard the word 'cat' via the grapevine and wanted to come in here and show off her own *****.

OOOOH.. I've been censored. I can't say pooossy in here, when spelled properly - but Big Brother is comfortable when I show illiteracy.

Odie

Post by Odie »

AussiePam;1286672 wrote: I think she heard the word 'cat' via the grapevine and wanted to come in here and show off her own *****.

OOOOH.. I've been censored. I can't say pooossy in here, when spelled properly - but Big Brother is comfortable when I show illiteracy.

I've tried to say variegated ***** willow tree many a times, nope, not here, big brother is everywhere.:yh_rotfl
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Jazzy;1286528 wrote: Why do they judge others that they don't even know? Any thoughts on this? :thinking:

Mainly I judge others because I think people should know Im superior to them.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

guppy;1286564 wrote: i dont like that kind of stuff either..i try and avoid those people that persist in gossiping...it makes me nervous to hear it...

Hi Guppy, lovely to see you swimming in our pond, missed u on here :-6

YZGI;1286595 wrote: I wonder what she will think about you gossiping about her?:D

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Sometimes though gossip is good, I don't mean the mean stuff where people are gossiping to be mean but the office gossip can sometimes be a riot...We have a guy downstairs who has long hair which he ties back and we nicknamed him My Little Pony, and I have to admit to being interested in hearing about his outside of marriage activities lol.. Gossip like that is only interesting if its true, made up gossip it isn't.:o:o:o
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Nomad;1286793 wrote: Mainly I judge others because I think people should know Im superior to them.

I agree Foamie.

So... What's occurring here then?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Jazzy;1286528 wrote: Seriously why can't people just mind their own business? Do these type of people thrive for attention? Do they do it to make themselves look good? Why do they judge others that they don't even know? Any thoughts on this? :thinking:

When I lived in the village of Clapham just outside Bedford, my next door neighbour was like this. She and her husband were retired and she nabbed me the first day I was out checking the garden over. They had both lived in tehe village all their lives. She was a typical nosy neighbour and I found it difficult to avoid her if I had to do the garden. A couple of times I had to smile when people walking past would quicken their gait. My neighbour knew everybody's business and would bring me up to date every time she saw me.

One day, however, I realised something. Some of the people she talked of were elderly and alone and if anything hapened to them, she would know. Further, she would do something about it as she was that type of person.

I came to realise over time, having spent time with them both together, that they both had a great love for their village. They had a beautiful garden which they tended in spite of being in their 70s with medical problems.

She wasn't being nosy, she was just naturally sociable. They were both sociable.

So maybe she is a nosy neighbour, but that meant those who were in trouble would get help if they needed it.

Of course, they're not all like that, I realise. Some nosy neighbours are just plain vicious and these are the ones I won't tolerate.

In 2004, I had a heart attack. After, when I had this realisation about my nosy neighbour, I felt a little easier knowing that if anything happened, she would investigate.

Return to “General Chit Chat”