Discuss all types of sports.
K.Snyder

Premier League Overhaul?

Post by K.Snyder »

LEAGUE OVERHAUL DEBATE

Date set for Premier League overhaul discussions

By Harry Harris, Football Correspondent

November 12, 2009

The Premier League will unveil their own strategic review in a special two-day summit meeting in February that could significantly change the face of the biggest footballing brand in the world.

• Old Firm not welcome in England

The club chairman and chief executives were asked to draw up their own proposals to add to Bolton chairman Phil Gartside's 'paper' on radical changes for the league.

Gartside's idea of a two-tier league with Celtic and Rangers was split, with the clubs opting to vote straight away on the Scottish clubs. The voting reached 15 before it was thrown out, as it requires 14 clubs to vote any changes through.

However, Gartside's notion of 'Premier League 2' remains on the table while the other clubs come up with their own thoughts, which will be compiled into the Premier League's strategic review.

An insider told ESPN Soccernet immediately after Thursday's 'shareholders' meeting: "There will be a full two days debate about possible changes in the league. It will be fascinating to see what emerges. The clubs have plenty of time to come up with their own ideas."

The Premier League also informed the clubs that they were delighted with the increased overseas TV deals and the precise figures will be released to the clubs early in the New Year

But ESPN Soccernet believe the Premier League are on course for record-breaking overseas sales that could break the £1 billion barrier and be yet another feather in the cap of Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore.

That could mean breaking the £3 billion barrier for all TV rights thus providing far more income from which to discuss a possible redistribution of the TV wealth.

What is currently plaguing the English Premier League and what do you feel will help the League both in it's operation as well as it's notoriety?

Would you, personally, like to see Rangers FC and Celtic join the English Premier League?

Would you like to see "Premier League 2"?
dubs

Premier League Overhaul?

Post by dubs »

K.Snyder;1262542 wrote: What is currently plaguing the English Premier League and what do you feel will help the League both in it's operation as well as it's notoriety? Even though it generates billions, they can't stop tinkering with it, to try and squeeze more money from it with crack brained schemes! I've no idea where it will end up.

Would you, personally, like to see Rangers FC and Celtic join the English Premier League? What those northern people, that speak a strange pidgin english..No way!

Would you like to see "Premier League 2"? No!

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
Skylark

Premier League Overhaul?

Post by Skylark »

No No No!

We don't want any Scottish clubs, leave them where they are!
K.Snyder

Premier League Overhaul?

Post by K.Snyder »

dubs;1262735 wrote: Even though it generates billions, they can't stop tinkering with it, to try and squeeze more money from it with crack brained schemes! I've no idea where it will end up.

You just described the number one virtue of all whom participate in circle track automobile racing in America! I think people are just quite simply never satisfied.

I've only been following the Premier League for about 3 years but from my observances the league actually looks pretty thriving would you not agree?
K.Snyder

Premier League Overhaul?

Post by K.Snyder »

Skylark;1262736 wrote: No No No!

We don't want any Scottish clubs, leave them where they are!

I personally don't see a problem with it. Certainly those clubs won't help the lower half of the league but hey, if you can't win then you need to practice more son, that's what I say!

Your financial situations in England(Pertaining to the EPL) will only get worse so long as there is no salary cap. Why? Because the longer the top teams stay atop the more fans they generate ultimately increasing the interests in the owners investing in the club. From which means better players. The end result being trophies galore.

I know a salary cap wouldn't work unless all of Europe agrees to have one.
Snowfire

Premier League Overhaul?

Post by Snowfire »

The supposed invitation of Scottish clubs to the English Premiership has been discussed for some time. First we must take a few points into consideration.

1. Football generates an astonishing amount of money. Both the FA and UEFA are constantly looking for more ways of generating even more money. ( The Super League, The European Super League, changing the format of the Champions League to include second and third spot teams - it should be for champions of each countries league but that would generate the money they are looking for )

2. There has never been a culture within these associations of "if it aint broke, dont fix it ".

3. They are mostly run - with the exception of a few figure heads - by businessmen and administrators with little knowledge or even interest in football itself. Only for the revenue it generates

4. Who would a merger benefit. Maybe not the Scottish League. Without the revenue from the 2 Glasgow clubs, other clubs from Hibs and Hearts downwards would suffer.

5. Have they though about the logistics ? Have they thought about the potential hooligan problem associated with Scottish/English clubs.

6. It would be a kick in the teeth to Championship teams, fighting for promotion, if its decided that Celtic and Rangers are included straight in to the Premiership. Do they miss out that year or do they make the Prem a bigger league.

7. Do they get to play in the FA cup and League Cup or continue in the Scottish FA.

8. With all due respect to Scottish football, the English Prem is a million miles from the Scottish Prem. Rangers and Celtic get to play, maybe a dozen decent games all season and 4 of those are against each other. They dont get to play decent opposition week in week out. Who wins the league every season, almost with no exception ? Would they survive the traveling and the hard slog every week instead of the fairly easy games they currently engage in. One off games they occasionally play against stiff opposition is a country mile away from the rigours of The Premiership season

Sadly the decisions made will be decided on financial considerations not football ones
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

Premier League Overhaul?

Post by Snowfire »

K.Snyder;1262749 wrote: I personally don't see a problem with it. Certainly those clubs won't help the lower half of the league but hey, if you can't win then you need to practice more son, that's what I say!

Your financial situations in England(Pertaining to the EPL) will only get worse so long as there is no salary cap. Why? Because the longer the top teams stay atop the more fans they generate ultimately increasing the interests in the owners investing in the club. From which means better players. The end result being trophies galore.

I know a salary cap wouldn't work unless all of Europe agrees to have one.

Yes there has to be a salary cap and a transfer fee cap too ( £85 million being suggested as Roony's value ) but agreed it must be agreed throughout Europe. The season ticket holders bear a terrible burden for some clubs financial shortcomings

Arsenal for example. Season ticket - £855 - £1825. Chuck in the the travel costs and a pie and a pint and it gets very expensive for a family
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Chookie

Premier League Overhaul?

Post by Chookie »

I would be delighted to see both of those teams in the English leagues.

On the other hand, I would have certain requirements (which will not be acceptable to them).

Namely:-

1) both remove their operations from Scotland and base themselves in England.

2) they join the English leagues (not the EPL) in the lowest division and try to work their way up.

3) they take all their moronic supporters with them
An ye harm none, do what ye will....

Return to “Wide World of Sports”