Autism - What is it?

Discuss Mental Health topics & issues.
Ahso!

Autism - What is it?

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1263242 wrote: I'm the most personable chap on the planet and the least likely to be diagnosed as even slightly affected that way. Given which, the test you put up must have alternative explanations.

Agree: 2,4,6,7,12,13,16,19,20,21,22,23,26,33,35,39,41,42,43,45,46: 1 point

Disagree: 1,8,10,11,14,15,17,24,25,27,28,29,31,32,34,36,37,38,40,44,47,49,50: 1 point

Score: 44I found the following today. The people who have explored this are evolutionary psychologists. Whether its called HSP or AS is really semantics as far as I can tell. Either way, its evolutionary and in the brain IMO. Thought you may be interested.

The Highly Sensitive Person

and for a comparison

The Highly Sensitive Person | Asperger Syndrome Management
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Maristar87

Autism - What is it?

Post by Maristar87 »

I think the "umbrella" for it has gotten a lot larger. My mother got me diagnosed with autism when I was in my awkward teen years. I got interviewed by a neurologist (there was no actual testing, just a social interview) and my psychologist signed off on it - way too easy. I honestly am pretty certain I don't have it, and I've taught "autistic" children that just were overly sheltered and they had slightly different (mostly introverted) interests than the parents wanted in their offspring. A good example is a couple of very social parents who were interested in sports and popular culture. They had a shy son who liked computers and "geeky things" rather than football (like the rest of his brothers.) They blamed it on autism, even though this child was fine socially and academically.

I still do believe autism exists though, it's just harder finding it.

Return to “Mental Health”