Record High for Police Complaints..

Discuss the latest political news.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

BBC NEWS | UK | Wales | Record high for police complaints
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Peg

Post by Peg »

But under one in 10 investigations into complaints was substantiated.

A fifth of all the complaints the commission received related to what it describes as "incivility, impoliteness, and intolerance".

A further quarter of the complaints came under the umbrella of "oppressive behaviour" by the police.

What kills me is the 9 out of 10 that were not substantiated. The ones that complained will be the first ones to call the police when they need them. :thinking:
Oscar Namechange

Peg;1245892 wrote: What kills me is the 9 out of 10 that were not substantiated. The ones that complained will be the first ones to call the police when they need them. :thinking: Yes but here Peg, the police complaints Commission is run by police and they decide the out-come. If the Independent Police Complaints Commission was taken out of the hands of the police, I think you would see very different stats. It's the police investigating the police here. says alot really.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

This does not surprise me at all !!!! Police officers, because they have to deal with the scum of society a lot of the time, seem incapable of differenciating these scum from an ordinary basic 'honest Joe' who is only trying to help the police!

They seem to treat everybody the same - like something nasty that's been scraped off a shoe! They seem to have forgotten how to be polite!

I had occassion to go to our local police station recently, and the 'lady' in reception (a civilian but in a uniform) was most off-hand. I asked to speak to the senior officer in the building, and was asked what it was about (in a very brusque manner), so when I said that it was a private matter and I needed to speak to a police officer, she looked at me as if she had a funny smell under her nose as she told me she would find somebody.

This. in my experience, is the attitude of most of the police officers in my area, as well as some civilians working in the police station.

I feel that I don't have the desire to help the police most of the time, because of their present attitude towards the general public. The only exception is our local 'beat manager' who really is as helpful and polite as he can be. Maybe that is why he is the 'beat manager' ! He has very comprehensive local knowledge, he knows a lot of the local miscreants, and he knows most of the people who genuinely want to help the police and he shows his gratitude.

Things would improve greatly if other police officers took a leaf out of our 'beat manager's' book, and were more pleasant with 'Joe Public'.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Oscar Namechange

G#Gill;1245900 wrote: This does not surprise me at all !!!! Police officers, because they have to deal with the scum of society a lot of the time, seem incapable of differenciating these scum from an ordinary basic 'honest Joe' who is only trying to help the police!

They seem to treat everybody the same - like something nasty that's been scraped off a shoe! They seem to have forgotten how to be polite!

I had occassion to go to our local police station recently, and the 'lady' in reception (a civilian but in a uniform) was most off-hand. I asked to speak to the senior officer in the building, and was asked what it was about (in a very brusque manner), so when I said that it was a private matter and I needed to speak to a police officer, she looked at me as if she had a funny smell under her nose as she told me she would find somebody.

This. in my experience, is the attitude of most of the police officers in my area, as well as some civilians working in the police station.

I feel that I don't have the desire to help the police most of the time, because of their present attitude towards the general public. The only exception is our local 'beat manager' who really is as helpful and polite as he can be. Maybe that is why he is the 'beat manager' ! He has very comprehensive local knowledge, he knows a lot of the local miscreants, and he knows most of the people who genuinely want to help the police and he shows his gratitude.

Things would improve greatly if other police officers took a leaf out of our 'beat manager's' book, and were more pleasant with 'Joe Public'.
Well said Gill and I totally agree. It seems to me that some officers fail in the career of their choice, join the police and then think the moment they don the uniform, they are 'all that and a bag of fries'.

My beat manager is brilliant I must say but sadly he is on restricted duty right now while the IPCC investigate him for an assault charge during an arrest. I truely hope he is exonerated.

What some wooden tops don't seem to get through their heads is that if they were more like your and my beat manager, they would get far more co-operation.
lou lou belle

Post by lou lou belle »

G#Gill;1245900 wrote: This does not surprise me at all !!!! Police officers, because they have to deal with the scum of society a lot of the time, seem incapable of differenciating these scum from an ordinary basic 'honest Joe' who is only trying to help the police!

I know what you mean GiGill, its a real shame that you were treated this way.

I used to be a beat manager and would often get people from my patch that would rather wait for me to return to duty, so they could personally speak to me about any issues they had. It is a satisfying feeling that people actually had faith in me. :)

You know in every occupation you are going to have people that are not right for the job. I would say that in my own doctors surgery I would pray that I would,nt get 2 particular doctors because they were so uncaring and made you feel that you were wasting their time, and yet I others are brilliant.

So you see in all careers there are always ones that are not as good as their colleagues.
Oscar Namechange

Well... what a coincidence??

I posted this article early this morning and later In the day I got a phone call from a newspaper hack asking me what I thought of the police in my area now. We had quite a chat and I've a reporter coming next week to do an article for the City paper. That will be an eye-opener.

Going back to the report on complaints... If an officer is reported, you usually find they have been Investigated before your complaint and probably will be after your complaint. As LLB said, some just are not suited for the job and can't cope with the stress and end up leaving the force. It's such a shame the Unproffessional officers let down the good one's who have brilliant people skills.

This report is only for Wales.... will look for stats on the rest of the country as a comparison.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1245896 wrote: Yes but here Peg, the police complaints Commission is run by police and they decide the out-come. If the Independent Police Complaints Commission was taken out of the hands of the police, I think you would see very different stats. It's the police investigating the police here. says alot really.

Are you sure?

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) became operational on 1 April 2004. It is a Non-Departmental Public Body (NDPB), funded by the Home Office, but by law entirely independent of the police, interest groups and political parties and whose decisions on cases are free from government involvement. We have a legal duty to oversee the whole of the police complaints system, created by the Police Reform Act 2002, our aim is to transform the way in which complaints against the police are handled.
Oscar Namechange

Bryn Mawr;1245964 wrote: Are you sure?
Yes... will Pm you.

Return to “Current Political Events”