Who here has a mental illness?

Discuss Mental Health topics & issues.
fae

Post by fae »

what is the definition of Mental Illness..seems to me that tis all a reaction to experience, and lack of appropriate support...
fae

Post by fae »

btw.. brave post by Mariposa and others contributing to this thread
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

fae;1326089 wrote: what is the definition of Mental Illness..seems to me that tis all a reaction to experience, and lack of appropriate support...Sometimes, and sometimes it's a medical condition - a chemical imbalance or something like that. I deal with teenagers who have mental illnesses. Some would be completely off the edge without their meds. They're different from the kids who've been abused or traumatized. Working with them (all) teaches super empathy and attention to detail.
fae

Post by fae »

Accountable;1326128 wrote: Sometimes, and sometimes it's a medical condition - a chemical imbalance or something like that. I deal with teenagers who have mental illnesses. Some would be completely off the edge without their meds. They're different from the kids who've been abused or traumatized. Working with them (all) teaches super empathy and attention to detail.

I agree accountable, but, often the chemical imbalance is caused by negative feelings and emotions, just as positive feelings and emotions can cause the release of endorphins, the happy chemical...,,,,change the habitual behaviour.. I am not against meds but that does not mean that the root cause of mental ill health is chemical imbalance,, the cause of that imbalance can well be the negative emotions resulting from bad negative experiences...I believe this totally.. We know that unhappiness releases chemicals in the body that long term can cause many physical illness... so.. also it must effect mental well being also...
Odie

Post by Odie »

Accountable;1326128 wrote: Sometimes, and sometimes it's a medical condition - a chemical imbalance or something like that. I deal with teenagers who have mental illnesses. Some would be completely off the edge without their meds. They're different from the kids who've been abused or traumatized. Working with them (all) teaches super empathy and attention to detail.

I remember when I took my sons to a pediatrician years ago, his 2 year old son was on prozac, mental illness can strick at an age pending on stress and a chemical imbalance.

-so many teens have it now more often than years ago.

superior detail and empathy is a must.
Life is just to short for drama.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

fae;1326259 wrote: I agree accountable, but, often the chemical imbalance is caused by negative feelings and emotions, just as positive feelings and emotions can cause the release of endorphins, the happy chemical...,,,,change the habitual behaviour.. I am not against meds but that does not mean that the root cause of mental ill health is chemical imbalance,, the cause of that imbalance can well be the negative emotions resulting from bad negative experiences...I believe this totally.. We know that unhappiness releases chemicals in the body that long term can cause many physical illness... so.. also it must effect mental well being also...
I leave all that to the parents and doctors. I deal with what I'm given, and together we try to develop a functional adult. :)
Mia

Post by Mia »

My eldest son has Bipolar.He is a a lovely person. He had a bad episode in April this year after the strain of watching his dad die after a seven month episode of come and go in hospital.His partner was pregnant with their second child at the time. He is making a slow recovery now.he is my son and I love him to bits.People cannot help having a mental illness,it is no different to a physical illness it just affects the mind. No one will ever understand this unless they suffer themselves or have a close relaive who does.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Nomad;1238550 wrote: Total whack job here.

yeah apparently and according to my ex I have a mental illness....but according to medical records and doctors I'm as normal as can be ....go figure.

Return to “Mental Health”